UKTV: Downton Abbey

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Anyone else watching this? Tonight it's on for the fourth or fifth episode and it's really worth watching. There's so little of value in UKTV these days...
Downton Abbey btw is a period drama, and is on ITV1 at 9pm. They show last week's episode an hour earlier.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love it, love it, love it.

I can't wait for the final episode tonight, even though I know it means having to wait until next autumn to see more!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
:) I didn't realise it was the last episode! I wish it would go on forever!

I know! Sunday nights won't be the same.
Still, at least a second series has been commissioned (they start filming in March)
and...
at some point over the next few months, there's the new series of 'Upstairs Downstairs' to look forward to. :D

hammers

Registered
Reaction score
I love this, missed last weeks episode though so will have to watch the repeat.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
So sad that it's over, and I can't wait for the continuation next year -- it's not at all over yet. There's a lovely live chat with Lord Grantham (Hugh Bonneville) on ITV's live chat:
http://www.itv.com/dramapremieres/downtonabbey/downtonabbeylivechat/
Didn't you just love this one:

Lady Grantham: First electricity and then telephone -- anyone would think we're living in a HG Wells novel!

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Did anyone watch Upstairs Downstairs? I found it very boring; no comparison to Downton. I even fell asleep in the middle of it last night. It's recorded, though, so I'll watch it later.
What I wish they'd bring back is the Forsyte Saga -- the original one they showed in the 60's. I was in boarding school at the time and I remember how all the girls were just riveted by it. I still remember Irene and Soames form that time. The remake wasn't a patch on that.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I watched it.

It had its good bits and bad bits.
I thought the ending was corny.

There was too much Rose looking all misty-eyed and nostalgic. Yes, yes, we know she worked at Eaton Place for years...just gerron with the story mkay?

The original Upstairs Downstairs was so beautifully done, a great balance between the upstairs family and the downstairs staff, wonderful characters, great acting. This update just seemed like a glossy Upstairs Downstairs lite.'

There was some good acting, mind. I thought Art Malik was brilliant and it made me wonder why we don't see more of him. I always did rate him as an actor since I first saw him in 'Jewel in the Crown'.

Give me Downton Abbey any day, which reminds me, apparently they're showing all the episodes on New Years Day.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the trailers for Upstairs Downstairs and decided to give it a miss.

I watched some DA - mainly for Maggie Smith and some of the other actors. Costumes were excellent but I thought some of story lines were weak and not very well thought out. There were also too many characters who all seemed to be jostling for a bite of the plot - especially the cook.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
In Up - Down I just didn't like any of the characters, or care what became of them. That makes it very difficult to get into a story. Whereas in Downton I loved several of the characters and really got involved in their lives.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching the reruns over New Year's weekend. ILOVEIT ILOVEIT ILOVEIT. I started watching it after loving Upstairs, Downstairs, after years of saying, "don't like period dramas. No. Down with English period dramas!"

I get what you mean about U,D, aruna, but I actually found the characters sympathetic despite themselves. And I really liked Keeley Hawes, who I usually despise and killed Ashes to Ashes for me.

But I remember all the fawny reviews Maggie Smith got for her role. And, don't get me wrong, she's great and a true scene-stealer, but upon actually watching it, it pisses me off that she seems to get all the acclaim while the equally good cast members - Brendan Coyle, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern etc. etc. etc. - are more or less ignored. (I'm looking at you, Radio Times.)

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Has it started yet? I heard they had cut many scenes from the original versions because yanks wouldn't understand!
I don't think too many USers read this thread because it has UK in the subject ttitle.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Has it started yet? I heard they had cut many scenes from the original versions because yanks wouldn't understand!
I don't think too many USers read this thread because it has UK in the subject ttitle.
You could be right on both counts. It started two weeks ago and continues another three I believe. But I like it so much I have the dvd series queued up on Netflix for its release January 21 (ooh, that's today!). I let you know if I notice any cuts. Mainly I'm watching for Thomas.

ETA: Actually I just checked and the dvd comes out 1/25

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score

Does anyone know if this is true? I heard the same thing. I have these all recorded, but if they've been altered, I'd rather wait for the DVD to come out.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
I live in the U.S., and I have been watching this show! And LOVING it. Love love love. Tonight was the last episode of season 1. Grrr, a cliffhanger! First Sherlock, and now this? You're killing me BBC! :D

Anyone know when the next season comes out? (Of Downton Abbey or Sherlock)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
my favorite part:
As with virtually all our co-productions, Downton Abbey was edited for our commercial-free time slot. Approximately 35 minutes came out of more than seven hours and the cuts were made in the UK by the original producers. None of the characters, themes, or plotlines (including about the "entail" inheritance law) was eliminated.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ing-plot-baffle-US-viewers.html#ixzz1CbXqZXUC
So apparently all they cut was 35 MINUTES (!) of superfluous fluff. Apparently it wasn't because we Americans are so dense, it was because the Brits are quite willing to have their viewing time wasted on things that are absolutely irrelevent.:idea:

There were definitely parts that seemed jumpy--especially in tonight's finale. The DVD is out now, and we'll probably watch it soon, so I'll let you know what I spot.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've been watching and enjoying it. Oh, we're in the US

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think I'll delete what I have recorded and wait for the DVDs.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I checked Netflix and it says that it will be available for streaming on 2/9, but it doesn't say specifically if it's the original British version or the Americanized one.