I need a car (for my MC)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't normally ask questions here (all hail the Wiki gods) but... for the life of me I can't figure out how to look this up.

I have a large MC. Think cross between an NBA center and an NFL lineman. Shaquile O'Neil but broader. I don't have an exact height in my head, but that about sums it up.

I need a vehicle my MC can drive without being hunched over. Now, I have heard that the VW Beetle actually has a lot of headroom, but... that's really not the image I'm trying to project for my MC (Harry Dresden notwithstanding).

I'd prefer something that's convertible, and was thinking along the lines of a Jeep Wrangler, for example, but they look kind of cramped if your long of legs, at least from the outside.

So, any car salespeople out there (or anyone else) who has some suggestions?

Oh, and no Hummers.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There a particular model or will pretty much any Landrover or Rangerover do?

And I did think of those after I posted, but we don't have many of them around here so I can't remember the last time I saw one to judge.

Last edited:

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
GMC Yukon Denali. Lincoln Navigator. Range Rover HSE. Cadillac Escalade. None are convertibles, but all have sun roofs.

All are also a bit pricey... you didn't indicate if your MC is well-off.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GMC Yukon Denali. Lincoln Navigator. Range Rover HSE. Cadillac Escalade. None are convertibles, but all have sun roofs.

All are also a bit pricey... you didn't indicate if your MC is well-off.

Money isn't an obstacle, but I'm looking for something less flashy than say the Lincoln or the Cadillac.

The GMC might do, though.

My only other consideration is it will be used for a bit of long-distance driving, if that makes a difference in what might be a good option.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Does not, all chassis would be suitable long-haulers, though I would choose an American option over the Range Rover. Also throw in the Ford Expedition Limited and Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Easier to maintain and there are dealerships everywhere that can do warranty work, usually. But if your character wants more bling, then go for something else.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you want something different, look at the PT Cruiser Convertible (although they don't make them any longer).

ETA Not with an electric seat though as this reduces the headroom.

Last edited:

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
GMC trucks have good headroom, especially the Yukon (whether or not it's the Denali) and Sierra. Various of my male relatives (between 5'11" and 6'3" and of... ahem... varying obesity) drive these trucks. In fact, the other day my dad stopped at the local ride-share with his Yukon and one of the guys went with him even though they weren't going to quite the same part of the city... just because my dad had a vehicle big enough for him not to be cramped.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chevy Silverado 2500. Just make sure it's a diesel :D

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is 6'5" and over 300 lbs. When we last went car shopping a few years ago, he fit comfortably in two vehicles - the Buick Park Avenue and the Honda Odyssey. We didn't try SUVs or trucks, but he'd never fit a PT Cruiser. Convertibles have great headroom when they are open only. Sun roofs actually have less headroom than the regular version of the vehicle because of roof panels and wiring.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because diesels are better and stronger :D Your MC will thank you.

Though if you want to throw rocks, diesel parts are sometimes a little harder to get. And sometimes very expensive. And when one battery dies, the OTHER battery can soon follow. Yeah, my checkbook loved that.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
And those diesels are so much fun trying to start iin weather below 10°F. Glow plugs or no, they just don't want to start.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and for this reason alone I've always bought my trucks with gas burners under the hood. If I still lived in Texas, that might be a different story, but up here in the Northeast? Nah.

I do tend to think diesels are way loud, though. Even the new generation powerplants. :)

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine that must be because the Diesel is waxing. Not much you can do about that, I don't suppose.

On the plus side, Diesel engines have more torque and are more economincal than petrol ones. They also don't have any electrics that can be fouled up by flood water, etc. (good for fording rivers if you are in to that sort of thing). On the down side, manual transmissions have been fitted with dual mass fly wheels in recent years (to reduce pulsing in the transmission train) and they have been notoriously unreliable.