PDA

View Full Version : Sending a revised MS

Stellan
11-05-2010, 06:50 PM
After an R&R, when you send in a revised manuscript, how detailed exactly should you make the accompanying notes?

I'm just wondering if it should be something simple like "dear agent, attached is the revised version of AWESOME NOVEL which you were interested in seeing", or does it need something more, like "changes I have made to the manuscript include the removal of the evil clown character, and an added subplot where the vicar finds weasels in his pantry"?

Corinne Duyvis
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I've never had an R&R, but I'd go for option number two - no harm in refreshing the agent's memory! That said, I'd keep it to one or two lines. If you want, you can always sum some parts up like, "[...] plus some other changes to speed up the pacing/deepen the romantic subplot/whatevs."

BrooklynLee
11-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I also think you should include some info about the changes that you made, to refresh the agent's memory.

Danthia
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
If you did something that they suggested I can see mentioning it so they know you took their comments to heart, but otherwise I don't know if you need to be all that detailed. They'll see what you did when they start reading. Pointing out past flaws feels too negative to me when you want to start with a fresh positive outlook. It just reminds them why they didn't like it the first time.

hillaryjacques
11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
When I resubmitted after requested revisions (the agent had read a partial), I just mentioned that I'd addressed the areas of concern. I don't think that I even specifically referenced the items the agent had asked me to address, because I didn't want to bring up things that were obvious deficiencies to the agent in the first place. That seemed to work just fine, but I also resubmitted within about three weeks.

If you have a longer break in between first submission and sending in the revision, it might be good to mention what you've changed, but maybe phrase it like: I've addressed the areas you pointed out as concerns, while maintaining (insert items the agent seemed pleased with).