PDA

View Full Version : New Release and TV spot!

BruceJ
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Katia is finally now available (:hooray:) from most online distributors. It's based upon a scene I witnessed in Berlin, Germany, in 1989 when the Wall fell. A photo of that scene, synopsis of the book, and pix gallery of Berlin before, during, and after the fall of the Wall is here (http://www.brucejudisch.com/katia.htm).

Also, the local CBS affiliate, KENS 5, taped an interview with me on my experience in Berlin in 1989, as well as the book. It's to be aired on the Nov 9th, 9:00-10:00am Central, the 21st anniversary of the fall of the Wall. There's a live-stream feed on their Web site, and a live chat function where viewers can interact with the producers and hosts here (http://www.kens5.com/great-day-sa/inside/BWatch-the-show-and-join-our-chatB-80201372.html).

If you're interested and have a moment or two, please tune in. It would be really neat if you could leave a comment on the chat function, too.

Thanks!

Calla Lily
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
:hooray: Bruce, that's great!

BruceJ
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Calla. It's my favorite book so far, probably because of the personal involvement. It just flowed from the pen--first draft (~69K) finished in 30 days. Then a year and a half to clean up the mess. ;)

It was scary how much fun it was to write in the POV of a 21-year old woman. Should I be worried...? :)

Calla Lily
11-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Think of it as learning how to understand your wife better. :)

Gravity
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Big congrats, Bruce!

Robin Bayne
11-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Congrats!

Deb Kinnard
11-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Wow, Bruce, that's awesome! Can I ask? Did the TV station contact you, or did you get in touch with them?

L.Jones
11-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Good for you - TV makes for more sales - so many writers neglect to take advantage of the things they learn or based novels on as a means of promo and connecting to readers. We tend to want to talk about plot and characters but having this kind of really interesting facet to share is a great way to get the word out!

annie jones

BruceJ
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Wow, Bruce, that's awesome! Can I ask? Did the TV station contact you, or did you get in touch with them?

Deb,

I contacted them. My editor worked to get the book on the street the month before the 9 Nov anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I sent an email to the morning show hosts of 3-4 local stations to see if they might be interested in an eye-witness account--and, of course, I mentioned the book. I didn't hear from anybody but Channel 5, and they jumped on it within an hour of the time I sent the email out.

It was a hoot! The host and camera man showed up at 3:00 pm to tape the show and didn't leave until 6:15. I figure it took that long to get 5-10 minutes of useful information out of me. :) Actually, they looked over all the paraphernalia (chunks of the Wall, East German flag, newspaper clipping displays, photos, etc.) and just chatted about our experience. Okay, I suppose my wife's inimitable hosting skills (homemade cookies, coffee, tea, scent of autumn candles and immaculate house) may have had something to do with it. Still...

The interview itself was way out of my comfort zone; cameras and I don't get along well (I pray they're really good at editing). Glad that part's over. They had me read an excerpt from the book, which was a bit longer than it should've been, but coherency of the scene necessitated it. Don't know if/how much they'll clip it. We'll see. I also have a release bash at a local German bakery/deli on the 13th and a signing at an indie bookstore on the 27th. I fed that information to them for promo and exposure for the businesses. Again, we'll see how much they get in to the actual show.

I also expressed my interest in speaking at schools (history classes, etc.) and other venues of interest regarding the experience. I'm hoping that will lead to a local platform for at least a while longer.

Thanks for asking.

gracemichael
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow, that's great! Congrats!!

BruceJ
11-11-2010, 11:14 PM
For those who might be interested, the TV spot is here:

http://www.kens5.com/great-day-sa/Berlin-Wall-21-years-later-106965338.html

BruceJ
11-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Had a lot of fun at the release party for Katia this past weekend. Started with 34 books and ran out right at the end with only one person not getting one who wanted one (a store emplyee who waited until the end to tell me she wanted a copy). Also sold five books from my "A Prophet's Tale" series with orders for two more. There are photos on my FB page.

Serendiptous visit by former San Antonio mayor/former HUD secretary Henry Cisneros and his wife, City Councilwoman Mary Alice Cisneros. They were picking up a food order and wondered what all the hubbub was about. She ended up buying a copy of The Journey Begun and leaving her business card. I emailed her thanks and noted that royalties from "A Prophet's Tale" went to a local charity, with an added thanks for her support. Also gave her a link to the TV spot as a local-interest item. Not holding my breath, but maybe something will come of it. Who knows? :)

Moral of the story: you just never know about these things...

Gravity
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Bruce, you are amazing, my friend! That's so cool!

BruceJ
11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Hah! Thanks, John. I feel I got 'cooled at' in this case instead of being cool. I'm a fish out of water at promo events. If I manage a book signing without misspelling someone's name--or outright forgetting it--I consider it a success. :-)

FranYoakumVeal
11-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Congratulations!

BruceJ
11-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Fran!