Best Asian Sword Epics?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started training in the art of Samurai swordsmanship (yeah, really) and I'm interested in seeing all the best works of Asian sword epics.

My faves currently:

Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Kill Bill vol 1 & 2
House of Flying Daggers

What else do I need to see?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Curse of the Golden Flower, by the director of Hero and House of Flying Daggers
John Woo's Red Cliff (see the "international version" and avoid the shortened one)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I favor the two-handed sword myself, in the SCA. Have fun! (Just don't believe some of the BS you'll hear about katanas.)

I'd go back to Kurosawa. The Seven Samurai, of course, and definitely Throne of Blood.

And check out the old Zatoichi movies. There was a new one made recently, starring Beat Takeshi (who's Takeshi Kitano when he's directing); that was pretty darn good too.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Lone Wolf and Cub stuff. It's a minor industry in Japan (lotsa comics, lotsa movies), and a loose ancestor of Road to Perdition.

The first one I ever saw was a hacked up edit of the first two movies peddled under the title of Lightning Swords of Death. Aesthetically that's probably all kinds of sin, but I loved it. You can get it on DVD.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Kung Fu Hustle. Kung Fu Hustle. Kung Fu Hustle.

Alright, so there are no swords in it but the fighting is AWESOME!!! And it's friggin hilarious.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the recs, folks. I appreciate it.

Oh, and I am studying the two handed technique...

monkey see monkey do

Recklessly Pessimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Seven Swords
Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor
Ashes of Time
One Armed Swordsman

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
AKA Chambara style...love it! The Zatoichi series is excellent - start anywhere. One obscure one that I love is Sword Of Doom which is on Criterion DVD. It's very dark and moody but has lots of incredible swordplay. Tatsuya Nakadai is in that one as a cold blooded samurai for hire out for revenge, you know the drill :D Criterion also put out Kill! which is more light hearted in tone with more broad action.
Nakadai also starred in The Sleepy Eyes of Death movies, and they are great but impossible to find on DVD - I paid a mint for Castle Menagerie and Human Skin Spider and they both kick ass. They first one has a more exotic sensual visual style while the second one has more visceral action.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
And definitely Yojimbo. You'll recognize the storyline. It started out as a Dashiel Hammett story which Kurosawa turned into Yojimbo. It was then filmed as a little Western called A Fistful of Dollars. Filmed as a not-so-epic fantasy with David Carradine called The Sword and the Sorceress. Most recently as Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. But Yojimbo is probably the best screen version.

Actually, just watch anything with Toshiro Mifune.