Querying an agent for a second time

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Have you ever queried an agent more than once? Not for the same project, but with a different manuscript?

Are there any success stories out there of people who managed to sign with an agent after being rejected the first time?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Sure. When I was querying Novel 2, some of the first queries I sent were to the agents who had requested partials/fulls of Novel 1. Same with Novel 3.

With Novel 2, I queried an agent who had rejected Novel 1--I don't think she asked for material, but she recommend I try querying Agent X with it. So I queried Agent X with Novel 2, which she asked for the full and then ultimately rejected with some nice comments. When I was putting together my query list for Novel 3, I included Agent X and queried her.

Agent X asked for the full. She ultimately rejected Novel 3, but she said she had a colleague who might be a good fit and could she send it to him? I said yes. He read it and offered representation four days later.

Off the top of my head, I know of at least one other author who eventually signed with an agent who'd rejected previous projects--I just can't think of her name (bad memory!). It happens. :)

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just last week I queried an agent who'd rejected my query for a different project, and I got a full request for the second project. People do it all the time.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I've queried two unrelated novels, and submitted the second to a few agents that I'd had decent experience with (the ones who requested fulls and/or gave some good feedback). The queries went out about four months apart, and for those who had given me feedback, I mentioned that I had queried them before and they'd shown interest, just to refresh their memories.

Oddly perhaps, most of the interest (including an offer of representation) I received on the second novel came from agents I hadn't previously queried.

I think it's common. I probably wouldn't recommend querying the same agent with multiple projects back to back, but a couple of months is decent breathing room.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, particularly if the agent said in the first rejection something like 'think of me for your next project'

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I know I have at least one client who I rejected the first time, and took on (and sold) the next book.

I think, especially if they requested a full the first time around, and had nice things to say, DEFINITELY query with the next book, and do remind them that they've read something of yours before. For me personally, that makes me pay more attention.

Danthia

I queried my agent twice before (different books) and she rejected me both times. Third time was the charm :)

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I finally caught my agents attention the third time I queried her. She had rejected me on a query and a partial in the past...but I wanted her so I was persistant. It paid off.