Is It Okay...

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
If I re-send to agents I've already sent to after I do some reworks on my WIP?

(By the time I finish the reworks, it'll probably be 2011, which means a good 12 months or so have passed since I've sent out to most of them.)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
With that much time between versions and if it's a substantial rewrite, I'd go for it. I'd also have a totally new query letter and a new title. Keep in mind that some agents may still recognize it regardless (but hopefully will recognize that it's a "different" book), and some even keep a database of queries (I know of at least 2 agents who do).

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and most agents *won't* remember it. A few might, but if it's been revised they shouldn't discriminate based on the fact that they saw an earlier draft.

12 months is thousands of queries later to an agent.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If I re-send to agents I've already sent to after I do some reworks on my WIP?

Depends on what you mean by 'some rework'. If you're doing a major rewrite, it's okay, but if you've just polished it up, that's not enough rework to requery with.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be a different intern screening queries in 12 months time

rosepetal720

Let the wild rumpus start!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teralynpilgrim.blogspot.com
Your query could have been rejected because of the agent's situation and not because of the book. The agent might have rejected your query simply because he has too much on his plate right now, or he isn't interested in your genre now and will be later, or whatever. Since an agent's situation can change, I recommend resubmitting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, it isn't okay. It's never okay unless you state in your query that you did submit before, and hope the agent will take another look after the major rewrite.

Agents do not have to remember you, and it probably won't be an intern who reads your query. Either way, unless the agent in question actually requested and read your manuscript, all the rewriting in the world isn't going to change her mind about your query. She doesn't know how good or bad the novel was before the rewrite, so why would a rewrite matter?

But the main thing is that it's simply annoying as hell when writers won't take no for an answer, and those thousands of other queries and partials and fulls coming in all mean there isn't time to chew the same food twice.

Re-query, if you must, but don't even think about trying to slip a re-query past an intern, or an agent. Most agents do keep track of queries and submissions, and the few who don't usually have very good memories. Be open and honest. Too many want to start a relationship with a lie, and this is always a horrible idea.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on the extent of your rewrite. It might be an entirely different book! In that case, change your query letter, (which is not unreasonable, since the book has changed too) and go ahead and requery. I don't think that there is anything deceptive about this at all. However, if you are emailing agents who have already read a full/partial version of the book, I think it's proper to mention that the book has undergone a major rewrite. Whatever you do, good luck.