PDA

View Full Version : “BrainTree”: Request for Articles/Research/Answers to Questions

braintree
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Hello-
I was wondering if writers would be interested in contributing any articles or research you've done in the past -- to a website I’m developing. It's called “BrainTree” and will be located on the web at www.thebraintree.com (http://www.thebraintree.com), starting Jan 2011.

When functional, it will basically be an internet-based, fee-based, "knowledge market"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_market)

(I was told I needed to seed the site with answers and questions before going live.) Anything you've done in school or recreationally or anywhere that you have the copyrights to would be great. If you also want to include the question that the document serves to answer, that would be wonderful. I will give you credit -- and list your name and similar promotional type info you want to include with the article/research.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at tom@thebraintree.com, or (919) 593-6279.

Thank you.

Best,
-Tom

Tom Castelloe

Mac H.
11-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Hi Tom,

Its an interesting project. Since it is fee based I'm interested to how much you'll be paying the writers.

Obviously the writers will retain the copyright in their work - so what license will they be granting you ?

Good luck !

Mac
(PS: I'm asking these questions on the thread rather than privately because others will have the same queries)
(PPS: Huh - I just noticed that this is in non-paying markets. I guess that answers the first question)

braintree
11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Mac,

Thanks for the reply!

I am working on the website with an web-development company, and it is going to be live starting in January 2011. I think it's an interesting project too!

Writers will retain the copyright to their work. I guess the license will be just to show their work online, along with their information and profiles.

When the site goes live in January, there will be the option to answer other questions and receive a "bounty" for the amount the questions are valued to the askers.

Right now, "BrainTree" may be an opportunity to highlight your work in the form of research/articles/or Answers to Questions - work you've already completed.

I hope this answers your questions! If you have any more feel free to call me, post here, or email me.

Thank you. And good luck with your writing projects!

Best,
-Tom

Unimportant
11-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Writers will retain the copyright to their work. I guess the license will be just to show their work online, along with their information and profiles.
Tom, your "I guess" is making me a little nervous. This is probably something you want to hammer out the details on. Authors are unlikely to license rights to you unless you can specify what those rights are.

Do you want first electronic rights or will you accept reprints? Do you want exclusive or non-exclusive rights? Are you licensing electronic rights for a limited term, or for life-of-copyright, or for a limited term plus archival rights?

Who will have access to the articles, and under what conditions? What is the expected size of the readership (i.e. how much exposure will the author be getting)?

What do you mean by "information and profiles"?

Who will be editing the work and/or doing fact verification checks?