PDA

View Full Version : Trying to change my avatar picture

KathleenD
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to put my new book cover in as my avatar, and I keep getting "Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file."

As with most error messages, I don't know whether this means *I* am screwing up, or if I should just try again later. Help?

scarletpeaches
11-03-2010, 06:40 PM
That used to happen with me. I hit refresh when I went to the avatar page, just before uploading the new avatar. God knows why, but it worked. I had a software problem on the laptop which later called for a reformat, though.

/computer idiot

KathleenD
11-03-2010, 06:43 PM
You know that's how religions get started, right? Sneeze right before your enemy gets hit by lightning, next thing you know there's a run on snuffboxes.

Of course I went and tried hitting refresh, because, hey, why not.

Tragically, there will be no refresh button religion.

scarletpeaches
11-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I had a sticky laptop that refused to do anything without being refreshed. :(

KathleenD
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Orange juice at the computer is bad! ;)

Okay, trying to upload to profile pic worked, but when I deleted it (thinking it had borked my avatar upload), I learned that I cannot put it back up without the error.

Still getting the error with avatar.

The site is letting me insert the image into my sig, but I need to shrink it to... well, your size, SP, if I'm going to go that route.

Giving up for now. Maybe the computer needs a nap.

scarletpeaches
11-03-2010, 06:52 PM
I use the Paint program for avatar-shrinkage.

MacAllister
11-04-2010, 09:13 AM
How 'bout I just help, automagically with my godlike admin powers?

KathleenD
11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Mac, you are pure fab with a side of awesome sauce :D

scarletpeaches
11-05-2010, 01:39 AM
How 'bout I just help, automagically with my godlike admin powers?How long will I have to wait to be a supermod, with special Colin Farrell privileges?

... *tumbleweed* ...

...That's a no, then?

Jack Parker
11-05-2010, 05:13 AM
I've noticed the different sizes of avatars for different people. I have a picture I'd like to use but it only looks good when it's larger. The system will only allow me to use one 80x80 though. Is it possible to upload a larger avatar?

Medievalist
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
I've noticed the different sizes of avatars for different people. I have a picture I'd like to use but it only looks good when it's larger. The system will only allow me to use one 80x80 though. Is it possible to upload a larger avatar?

Not yet; you need to be a member and have more posts.

Here, read Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Avatars (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978).

Jack Parker
11-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Not yet; you need to be a member and have more posts.

Here, read Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Avatars (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978).

No problem there. I appreciate your help!