PDA

View Full Version : ye olde grammar school

satyesu
11-03-2010, 03:17 AM
do you know what i could watch or read (preferably not a whole novel) to get a glimpse into a 17 or 18th century grammar school?

Hallen
11-03-2010, 03:24 AM
On what continent? They'll be vastly different depending on where it is.

Little House on the Prairie might give you a glimpse of a 19th century grammar school, but it will be the Hollywood edition.

Medievalist
11-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Seventeenth and eighteenth century grammar schools don't mean one room school house; they mean a school where the primary subject is Latin.

Little House in the Prairie is nineteenth.

For eighteenth century there are people like Daniel Defoe and Sam Johnson who wrote about their experiences; there are also a couple of memoirs from schoolmasters.

satyesu
11-03-2010, 03:42 AM
SFor eighteenth century there are people like Daniel Defoe and Sam Johnson who wrote about their experiences; there are also a couple of memoirs from schoolmasters.
Any certain ones?

Medievalist
11-03-2010, 05:19 AM
John Holmes the headmaster of Gresham's School wrote a number of textbooks; he was a Latinist and author of an early controversial Greek curriculum. He's referenced a lot in the letters of far more famous people, so I suspect you'd find him in the usual places, like the British DNB. You can then follow the citations from the entry for more information.

I'd try just Googling, honestly.

ChaosTitan
11-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Since this is a pretty general question, I'm going to send it to Story Research.

ChronicSelfEditor
11-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Little House on the Prairie might give you a glimpse of a 19th century grammar school, but it will be the Hollywood edition.

Not if you read the books instead of watching reruns of the show.

amlptj
11-03-2010, 07:03 AM
my first idea would be to watch "Holes" or read it if you like, its a disney movie, and have clips of what i think is an 18th century gradeschool

Second if you actually want to see what one looks like, i dont know where you live but in Lancaster PA the amish school houses havent changed since the 18th c. You can tour them.

Rufus Coppertop
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
On what continent? They'll be vastly different depending on where it is.

That's nothing even remotely like a grammar school. Nor are Amish school houses, no matter how old they are.

Kitti
11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
If you can get access to a copy, try John Brinsley's Ludus Literarius, or, the Grammar Schoole which is early 17th century. There are versions on Early English Books Online, if you can visit a college/university with a subscription. EEBO's got lots of other great stuff, too. I forget what it was called, but I once stumbled across a Latin phrase-book for grammar school students, with all sorts of phrases that a student might want to say, like: "you're going to be late to school if you don't hurry up" and "teacher, he hit me!"