• I have purchased short stories (a story) online - and would again

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have purchased short stories (a story) online - and would NOT again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have NOT purchased short stories (a story) online - but would

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I have NOT purchased short stories (a story) online - and I would NOT

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I'm somehow fall into another category....

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you can sell on amazon, lulu, etc. but I don't know anyone who buys short stories?

I buy single songs and even audio short stories to listen to at work for about $0.99 each (wouldn't pay more, personally).

Does anyone buy stories to read? How much would you pay? How much of a teaser would you need? only from an author you know? only with a synopsis? only from an established publisher? only if the cover art really sold you?

*shrugs*

I curious about people's opinions and theories on the short stories for sale concept on the other side...

Reaction score
I've bought the 2009 Anthology for the Bridport Prize. It was expensive (for an online document), but I was curious what kind of stuff is in there. And fortunately, it was well worth it for I found my all-time favorite short story in this anthology (second place).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I subscribe to a couple of good short story e-magazines, and I often buy collections by famous writers online, but I can't think of a reason in the world that I'd buy a single story from such sites.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
how much would a novella cost? half the price of a novel or twice the price of a short story?

i think i'd be more likely to but a novella than a short story. also I'd be more likely to buy a group rather than a single story. but i don't mean as official as an anthology.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot of short stories from free sites, but I haven't bought an ebook novel or short story yet. I'm going to get a kindle next year, hopefully once they go to color, and then I'll be making a lot of ebook purchases. Just waiting for the technology to catch up with my want list.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Novellas are generally price more at the novel end. If you sell in ebook form it is a good profitable length on a per word basis.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought single short stories off of the author's blog, or blogs/articles written about literature where the author's work is mentioned.

It's definitely not cover art for me. I like the descriptions of how the author writes or the description of the actual story. I wouldn't pay very much to shop around like that, but I do pay a small amount, absolutely.

I like it better than buying an entire collection without having read the author yet.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I've paid for physical copy short stories, but never e-stories. There's so much good free stuff out there. I do try to donate to the free sites I like most, however.

Nicole

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought shorts because of the particular author. I haven't just gone shopping looking for them.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What length would you define a short story?

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say a short story is the traditional up to 7500 - 10000 length

not a short novel but an actual short story.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the question should be do other writers buy any stories/books on line, but what does the average reader, (non-writer), buy on line? Remember, most writers are a little more open to this type of stuff, thus we are in and of ourselves, a niche market supporting each other...to some degree.

For publishing in general, on line sales account for about 9%, but I am not sure if this includes sites that specialize in selling short stories. Not sure how anyone can track that as there are just so many sites that are doing this and not really keeping tabs of sales...

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but it seems most responses at that people here don't but short stories online. which, to your point of writers being a more open and receptive audience, doesn't bode well for the general public to be more open.

i understood when asking the question and many people here are likely either selling to the short story market or electronic print market.

and I'm definitely not asking about books. I'm wondering if people see the value of purchasing single short stories. it's often suggested that authors can self publish and sell their single short stories but I've never heard of anyone actually buying single short stories by non-famous authors.

so if people in this very open and in-the-know crowd don't even do it...

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've only brought shorts as collections or anthologies. Collections are usually because I've read the writer in magazines, etc. If you're a total unknown, it'd be hard to sell it to me. Anthologies are sold by theme, but a few authors I've heard of isn't a bad thing.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
but it seems most responses at that people here don't but short stories online. which, to your point of writers being a more open and receptive audience, doesn't bode well for the general public to be more open.

i understood when asking the question and many people here are likely either selling to the short story market or electronic print market.

and I'm definitely not asking about books. I'm wondering if people see the value of purchasing single short stories. it's often suggested that authors can self publish and sell their single short stories but I've never heard of anyone actually buying single short stories by non-famous authors.

so if people in this very open and in-the-know crowd don't even do it...

It something I've never thought about.

There again, I'm not a big short story reader. Maybe the typical reader of short stories prefer traditional print over the new technologies.:Shrug:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't bought any short stories online, but only because 1) I haven't really looked for venues to do so, 2) I don't have an e-reader yet, and 3) I don't have a credit card right now, so making purchases online isn't very convenient.

So no, I haven't purchased short stories online, but I don't really buy ebooks, period. If it were convenient and beneficial for me to do so, I would.

I have, however, downloaded free podcasts with recordings of short stories, and have purchased audio books over iTunes, including a novella (if that counts).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
No. I don't do the e-reading thing at all. As for short stories in particular, I'd rather read them in a solid anthology than go shopping for just one, in any context.

Although keep in mind I'm one of those people who still buys CDs at actual record stores--and vinyl records as well--so I expect I'm in the minority in several ways.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
A single short story would have to be very compelling and recommended for me to buy it all by its lonesome.

But I buy short story collections & anthologies online all the time. And recently I have bought a few stories for my Kindle that were just 3 or 4 shorts in a little bundle.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I've bought individual short stories online. They usually cost a dollar or so. I have a whole shelf of anthologies too, though I always buy those in paperback format.

Status
Not open for further replies.