I am now oficially a "reject"

Status
Not open for further replies.

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my first rejection. This is for the agent I really wanted. She represents people whose subject matter is similar to mine. She didn't even ask to read the full ms. She rejected me from my query. Claims she has too many clients at the moment. Is there anything one can do to UN-reject oneself (from that particular agent) or is this it?

(* some would argue that this is my 2nd but I'm not quite out at the "other" agency so I don't consider it a rejection--that situation is too lengthy to get into here.)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!!! You can't 'un-reject' this particular work, but later, if you have other projects, this agent might be interested in seeing them. Don't get stuck on one DREAM agent. Obviously this agent isn't interested in your work, so now go find a different reputable agent who is just as passionate about your work as you are. And don't get feeling too down. Most of us have been there, done that, and come out of it just fine.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
You've made it to the big time, now go and get fifty more and then you'll find an agent! You'll develop a sense of humor about it after a while.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
After the first hundred rejections, you will decide to lie in your query. After two hundred, you will stuff the envelopes with money, and after three hundred, you will finally get an agent, a criminal right out of The Producers, who will sell you novel for six figures. And he won't stop there. He'll sell it several times, keeping all the advances.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

macandal said:
Just got my first rejection. This is for the agent I really wanted. She represents people whose subject matter is similar to mine. She didn't even ask to read the full ms. She rejected me from my query. Claims she has too many clients at the moment. Is there anything one can do to UN-reject oneself (from that particular agent) or is this it?

(* some would argue that this is my 2nd but I'm not quite out at the "other" agency so I don't consider it a rejection--that situation is too lengthy to get into here.)

I suspect it's no coincidence that "rejection" rhymes with "dejection," but in this case I'd just assume teh agent is telling you the truth. Good agents often do reach teh pint where they can't handle even one more client without taking on another agent. Sad, but it happens fairly often. And when this is the case, the writer really isn't being rejected. There's just no room at the inn.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it was a personal rejection (if you're looking for crumbs of comfort, as I do). She didn't just have a minion whack a "go away" note in your SASE.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
maestrowork said:
Welcome! Now you're officially on the road to success. Wonderful it is to take the first step!

Exactly!
Welcome to the club!
I actually jumped for joy when I got my first rejection, long, long ago - I had written a children's picture book, about 50 words, and I sent it in to Penguin - when the rejection came I felt it was an initiation!

carley

Coffee or wine? BOTH.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kdcarley.blogspot.com
Julie Worth said:
After the first hundred rejections, you will decide to lie in your query. After two hundred, you will stuff the envelopes with money, and after three hundred, you will finally get an agent, a criminal right out of The Producers, who will sell you novel for six figures. And he won't stop there. He'll sell it several times, keeping all the advances.

This cracked me up! :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.