What does "background" mean?

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but what does an agent mean when they ask for a manuscript's background? I recently got a request for a full and the agent has asked me where has the manuscript been and where is it under review. I understand the second part, but does the former part mean that the agent is asking me to list where I have submitted my queries to (because that's gonna be a loooong list)?
Any answers are appreciated. Thanks.

S~chan

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Background to me means: what publishers you've submitted it to, if any, and if anyone is still reviewing it.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
They might want to know if other agents have a partial or full. They definitely don't want a list of every agent you've queried.

The primary intent of the question is to see where it has been shopped. So if you've submitted to publishing houses, tell them which ones and what the status is.

Sitka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almanac.com
I think they mean which publishers have seen it.

If it were a manuscript that everyone in the biz had seen and passed on, I think that would tell them something.

As an aside, I'm not sure it's any of their business to know which other agents have seen it.

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks once again for the replies. I wound up telling the agent that I hadn't submitted my manuscript to publishing houses and that other agents were also looking at my full.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Thanks for the correction, guys. Since I am also in the query process, I have agents on my mind. :D

Also, one agent's guidelines reads that they want a "submission history." I would presume this means where it's submitted, meaning agents and/or publishers.

More good luck, Sakura.

Last edited: