Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaWhite

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wizardessbooks.com
Does anybody here have any experience writing fantasy stories for magazines? Is there a market for such a thing?

I've subscribed to "Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine" and "Realms of Fantasy", but they are the only two magazines I've found so far that publish fantasy stories.

I'm wondering if any other 'mainstream' type magazine might accept an adult or young adult fantasy tale?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I am far from an expert on the subject, but I'd say the market is small (compared to other genres) for 'big-named' fantasy short story magazines. There are a few other larger magazines (I don't have their names immediately in front of me) that will read fantasy, but your best bet is to check in some sort of "Writer's Market" and read what a certain publisher will and will not accept.

I would also check online at the Preditors and Editors website concerning smaller magazine (and/or book publishers). Occasionally, you'll read horror stories about non-payment, non-publishing, charging for reading etc that occur at these smaller (and sometimes larger) publishing houses.

Good luck in your writing. :)

AnnaWhite

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wizardessbooks.com
That's brilliant! Thanks heaps for all the info. There's a lot more fantasy magazines than I imagined!

I've sent a story off to Strange Horizons, which is recommended by Preditors and Editors. Apparently, this magazine likes unusual stories - so that might work if nothing else. I was having trouble figuring out how to classify my story within the fantasy genre. Though Quintamid says Strange Horizons is very particular... still, I guess it's best to aim high at first, and then gradually move downwards.

Now I have to re-edit story number two and find somebody else to send it to. This is fun! Though I bet it won't be fun when the rejections start arriving, LOL.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Don't forget Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine. Although we're based in Australia, we accept emailed subs from all over the world. And despite the title, it's SF/F.

It's hard to get in, but issue 20 included stories by 3 first-time authors so it's certainly not impossible.

And don't worry about postage - we only accept emailed submissions (welcome to the 21st Century, eh?)

Cheers
Simon

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, that's the best title for a magazine ever! And it looks really good, too--thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.