PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead - AMC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-01-2010, 05:12 AM
As much as I love Mad Men, I am more excited for this show starting tonight (10/31) than any of the new shows that premiered a month or so ago on the networks. Come on now, admit it, there must be lots of you feeling the same out there.

ChimeraCreative
11-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Hell yeah. I've read the comics and can't wait to see how it looks on screen. The trailer looked promising. ^_^

Zoombie
11-01-2010, 06:51 AM
My only problem with the comic was it's almost Lost-ian level of killing people off, and the black and white artwork made it REALLY hard to tell one character apart from another.

Other than that, it was great.

leahzero
11-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm just happy to see zombies on TV, period.

The Walking Dead is a very traditionalist zombie yarn. There are gaping plot holes--the virus doesn't obey the laws of physics and thus has to be supernatural; how did the military get overrun by slow, shambling zombies; etc.--but overall I enjoyed the pilot and I'm looking forward to more.

Smish
11-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I liked it.

I don't get why anyone would think heading toward the city would be a good idea, though. :rolleyes:

leahzero
11-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Looks like a lot of folks watched the pilot--I can't load the amcdead.com site to enter the contest to be a walk-on zombie. :D

Kaiser-Kun
11-01-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't get why anyone would think heading toward the city would be a good idea, though. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the series yet, but in the comic he just wanted to find his family and then haul ass out of there. The rescue parties were supposed to look for survivors around the city.

It's actually a big point of contention among the group at first, to stay near the city or run for the hills. :D

BenPanced
11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Meh. Looked like every other zombie apocalypse story out there. I give 14 out of 35, Dick.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't know anything about the graphic novel, but the series was a bit derivative (if not downright plagiaristic) in that the hero was shot and then 28 DAYS LATER he awoke in a hospital to find the world overrun by zombies. Also are American actors so expensive now they have to import Aussies and Brits for everything? And there was a lot of acting in this ep--the window sniper scene was particularly annoying, but I do admit to a certain curmudgieness. I also agree that the whole military fail standard that all these stories rely on is a bit farfetched, but that could take me into another level of meta-criticisms about the series (misogyny and gender roles spring immediately to mind) but I have vowed to keep the inner-curmudgeon at bay (at least til week three).

Calla Lily
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I only saw part of the first 40 mins (Mr. Lily objected to the hijacking of both football and the World Series :tongue). I'll catch it on-demand this week.

Johnny, I got the same 28 Days Later vibe. Like, immediately. The outstanding FX were worth watching, though, IMO.

Bmwhtly
11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
This is on FX in the UK. Premiere this week.

I'd love to give an opinion on it, but my freeview doesn't show me FX.

*Sits grumpily in the corner*

Kaiser-Kun
11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Meh. Looked like every other zombie apocalypse story out there. I give 14 out of 35, Dick.

The first two issues of the comic are stereotypical movie-scare zombies. :P Then it's more about evading the zombies while concentrating on more important issues, like finding food, shelter, and build a society.

AlexPiper
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM

I had that question when reading the original comics, too.

But I'm going to cut Rick slack... he /did/ just wake up from a coma, and probably had at least a mild concussion from the shovel to the face too. Aside from the whole 'hrm, while I was comatose, the world was overrun by zombies' aspect.

So I suppose when someone goes 'hey, your family probably went to Atlanta,' I shouldn't be too surprised that he nods politely and heads towards Atlanta.

seun
11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
This is on FX in the UK. Premiere this week.

I'd love to give an opinion on it, but my freeview doesn't show me FX.

*Sits grumpily in the corner*

I'll let you know how it is although my hopes aren't that high for anything too original. The FX trailer just looks like an American 28 Days Later. With a tank.

Kaiser-Kun
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I had that question when reading the original comics, too.

But I'm going to cut Rick slack... he /did/ just wake up from a coma, and probably had at least a mild concussion from the shovel to the face too. Aside from the whole 'hrm, while I was comatose, the world was overrun by zombies' aspect.

So I suppose when someone goes 'hey, your family probably went to Atlanta,' I shouldn't be too surprised that he nods politely and heads towards Atlanta.

Once he arrives there and [SPOILEROMG]finds his family[/ENDOFSPOILEROMG], he wants to move the camp away from the city right away. This creates friction between him and the leader.

maestrowork
11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I haven't seen it but the preview does look derivative. It follows the same stuff that George Romero made famous. I'm hoping they will come up with something new and fresh. If you're into yet another Zombie show, you'll enjoy it.

Stacia Kane
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't really like zombie movies or shows, but I thought this was awesome. Really well done.

shawkins
11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm a huge zombie fan, and I was a wee bit underwhelmed. Derivative of 28 d later, certainly. I also thought the bit with the matches in the stairwell was Stu Redman's escape from the CDC with the serial numbers filed off. I kept waiting for someone to ask if he wanted some chicken.

I'll definitely keep watching, but I was hoping for more.

Oh, and when he was riding his horse into the city I lost my suspension of disbelief. The traffic on I-85 south (the side leading out of the city) is never that light. <rim shot>

MissJones89
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Would you guys recommend it? I'm pondering whether or not to watch it :P

Kaiser-Kun
11-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I'd recommend it if you want to see what happens after the guys get around the zombies. Struggling to live in a tough post-apocalyptic world is much more interesting than rotting corpses. :P

shawkins
11-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I'd say give it a shot. I didn't dislike it. Actually, I liked it quite a bit. I just had it so hyped up in my head that anything other than pure genius was bound to be a let down.

Stacia Kane
11-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I don't know anything about the graphic novel, but the series was a bit derivative (if not downright plagiaristic) in that the hero was shot and then 28 DAYS LATER he awoke in a hospital to find the world overrun by zombies.

Derivative of 28 d later, certainly.

The original comics/graphic novels on which the series was based came out at right around the same time as that movie; it's more likely a case of "Great ideas hit more than one person," which is something I think we're all familiar with, right?

shawkins
11-02-2010, 05:23 AM
The original comics/graphic novels on which the series was based came out at right around the same time as that movie; it's more likely a case of "Great ideas hit more than one person," which is something I think we're all familiar with, right?

It's entirely possible. And, again, I did quite like the show and I'll definitely go back for more. I think my reaction had more to do with the fact that 2010's been (IMO) a generally lousy year for movies, so I had this built up as some sort of redemption for the summer's disappointments.

Seriously, though: aren't you somewhere near Atlanta? That wasn't a traffic jam. That was a light Tuesday afternoon.

xitomatl
11-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Okay, I'm a HUGE fan of the comic books so I just want to address a few things here before I talk about the show separately:

1. Going to Atlanta: somebody mentioned Rick as going there to find his wife and kid. What they did mention, albeit briefly and kind of glossed over in the TV show, is that there was supposed to be a refugee camp set up there. That's why Rick's family went that direction, and why he went.

2. Re: 28 Days Later. 28 Days Later came out in the UK in Nov/2002. It came out in the US in June 2003. The first Walking Dead issue (because it is a monthly comic) was published in Oct. 2003. It stands to reason, I'm SURE, that Kirkman (the writer of the comic book) had already written the original issue (if not the first few) and the art had already been done. So, he didn't just watch 28 Days Later and then yank it.

So, having said that, and reiterating what a HUGE fan of the comics I am, I think they did a good job with it. They kind of glossed over some stuff, added some stuff I didn't really like (like Rick bitching about his relationship with his wife and showing that her and Shane had a thing going so blatantly, it doesn't happen SO FAST in the comics).

It looked good, the zombies weren't fast which is what I was really worried about.

The Walking Dead deals a lot more with relationships than what you might suspect given the pilot. I think the comic books are better, but I'm really interested to see how they go forward with it on TV.

I was also really worried about the guy they got to play Rick, but I ended up quite liking his performance. I'll hold my judgement on who's playing Lori because we didn't really see enough of her yet. And I REALLY want to see how the actor tackles Glenn because he's one of my favourite characters.

I'll of course keep watching like a dedicated fiend though, because I love The Walking Dead, and just zombies in general.

Also, another note regarding 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead:

28 Days Later isn't about zombies. Just sayin' ;).

Shadow_Ferret
11-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Huh. I saw it listed and recorded it simply because I thought it was some zombie movie I'd never heard of. Thanks to this thread I now know that it's a new series and its based on some comic books. Huh. Learn something new every day.

Lyra Jean
11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Just finished watching the pilot. We, hubby and I think it awesome. I did not know it was based on a comic book.

AlexPiper
11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Once he arrives there and [SPOILEROMG]finds his family[/ENDOFSPOILEROMG], he wants to move the camp away from the city right away. This creates friction between him and the leader.

Yeah, I've read the comics. I've actually been pleased with the show's treatment of them... though I admit, I'm a little concerned about how the Governor will come across. He's SUCH a good (and sometimes disturbing) villain -- he makes the Top 100 Comic Book Villain lists pretty regularly -- that I'm worried he'll be handled wrong.

Noah Body
11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I watched it and enjoyed it--mostly--but did notice the same parallels between this and 28 Days Later.

clockwork
11-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I really liked it. What was fresh and surprising was at the beginning when he came across the little girl, there was that moment where I was expecting her to start running. It was just so nice to see proper shuffling zombies again. Running zombies are probably more terrifying but shuffling zombies... you can actually get a good look at them, and as the pilot demonstrated, you can sort of see the humanity that used to be in them, you can feel sorry for them. It makes them more interesting.

But poor Lennie James... first he survives a nuclear apocalypse in Jericho and now this. Talk about breaks...

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I watched this today and loved it :)

rugcat
11-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Here's a review of the show from Tim Goodman, who just left the San Francisco Chronicle for The Hollywood Reporter.

He's the best TV critic out there, imo -- knows quality, and loves genre as well as "serious" fare.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/first-hollywood-reporter-review-tim-33846

Zoombie
11-03-2010, 01:54 AM
A good review, but...uh, the tropes of the good zombie film have always been empathy, introspection, and a study of how extreme situations push humanity to various ends.

And by 'good zombie film', I mean things like Dawn, Day, Night, Land and 28 Days Later.

My personal favorite is still Day of the Dead, for Captain Rhodes is the world's biggest and most awesome asshole.

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I plan on posting my review on my blog earlier (for anyone who wants me to expand on these points,) but the following in particular were what killed it for me:

1 - Comparisons/similarities to Dawn/28 Days
2 - The sexism
3 - The timeline. He couldn't have been laying in a hospital for a week, let alone a month and lived without any kind of care, let alone food and water.
4 - The stupidity/contradiction of the main characters
5 - The horse

*shrug*

Lyra Jean
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I thought the horse would be throughout the season. My husband got a little mad that the horse died. He kept telling the character, "You promised the horse it wouldn't get hurt." Or something like that.

Also the way the deputy just moved in on the wife. My husband said that broke Man Law and it made me wonder if the affair was going on already. Because well that seemed pretty fast.

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I thought the horse would be throughout the season. My husband got a little mad that the horse died. He kept telling the character, "You promised the horse it wouldn't get hurt." Or something like that.

Add to the fact that a thousand-plus animal would allow itself to get pulled down by corpses in advanced stage of decomposition... it was just ridiculous. A horse isn't that dumb.

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I plan on posting my review on my blog earlier (for anyone who wants me to expand on these points,) but the following in particular were what killed it for me:

1 - Comparisons/similarities to Dawn/28 Days
2 - The sexism
3 - The timeline. He couldn't have been laying in a hospital for a week, let alone a month and lived without any kind of care, let alone food and water.
4 - The stupidity/contradiction of the main characters
5 - The horse

*shrug*

Was a time specified? He did have an IV in. And you can live a long time without food as long as you are hydrated. If the rate of an IV is set low, it can hydrate the person for a good bit. Even without electricity the pump would keep on going since they also have a battery that kicks in.

As for the rest of what you listed, it's debatable. But I hated when the horse died.

Overall, I though it was great.

ETA: I've seen some during my nursing career go a week without any fluid or food before they passed away.

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Add to the fact that a thousand-plus animal would allow itself to get pulled down by corpses in advanced stage of decomposition... it was just ridiculous. A horse isn't that dumb.

Didn't the horse get scared and fall, throwing the rider when it was surrounded?

Lyra Jean
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM

To give some credit to the movie, the character wasn't letting the horse run away when it wanted to, at the first sight of the corpses when there was only one or two off that bus. There were a lot of corpses I think it was just a matter of getting overwhelmed by the number of them.

What is the link to your blog?

I didn't sense any sexism in the show.

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
According to the comic(I looked it up), the guy was in a coma for three months. So we can assume that when he finally did wake up, whatever had taken place had happened within a reasonable amount of time for him to still live minus any nursing care.

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 10:21 PM
To give some credit to the movie, the character wasn't letting the horse run away when it wanted to, at the first sight of the corpses when there was only one or two off that bus. There were a lot of corpses I think it was just a matter of getting overwhelmed by the number of them.

What is the link to your blog?

I didn't sense any sexism in the show.

The first five/seven minutes was spent between two characters talking about women can't have light bulbs and that men would never be so cruel as to say something negative in front of their children.

Didn't the horse get scared and fall, throwing the rider when it was surrounded?

He jumped off. At least, that's what I saw.

Was a time specified? He did have an IV in. And you can live a long time without food as long as you are hydrated. If the rate of an IV is set low, it can hydrate the person for a good bit. Even without electricity the pump would keep on going since they also have a battery that kicks in.

The black man (whose name I can't remember/recall hearing) said that the 'gas lines had been down for a month.'

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 10:22 PM
According to the comic(I looked it up), the guy was in a coma for three months. So we can assume that when he finally did wake up, whatever had taken place had happened within a reasonable amount of time for him to still live minus any nursing care.

Did they explain how long he was out without any care? The man said 'lines were down for a month.' :/

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Also, I haven't posted the blog yet. I still need to edit it.

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Did they explain how long he was out without any care? The man said 'lines were down for a month.' :/

Just that he was in a coma for three months. So yeah, if all hell had broken loose, say a month before he woke up and he was without medical care, it isn't within the realms of reality that he would still be alive.

maestrowork
11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
It's a little far-fetched someone could live on a slow IV drip for a month (considering electricity may be down, too), but I think that's something that audience can choose to suspend their disbelief on. Still unlikely, however.

KodyBoye
11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
My review. Don't read if you haven't seen the show.
(http://kodyboye.com/?p=978)

brainstorm77
11-03-2010, 11:41 PM
It's a little far-fetched someone could live on a slow IV drip for a month (considering electricity may be down, too), but I think that's something that audience can choose to suspend their disbelief on. Still unlikely, however.

It's impossible. The bag only holds so much and even on the lowest flow rate it would not last. The pumps have batteries that kick in when the power is out but still, they would not last long.

Grrarrgh
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
The first five/seven minutes was spent between two characters talking about women can't have light bulbs and that men would never be so cruel as to say something negative in front of their children.

Hmmm... I guess that I didn't really see it as sexist of the show in and of itself, just one dumbass guy spouting off his BS. In fact, Mr Grr and I were both laughing at it because at our house, I am constantly going behind him and turning off lights, and coming home after work to find that he's left every light in the lower level on.

And I have one woman I work with, who every time you say, "Hi, Name, how's it going?", goes off on a long rant about why men suck and why they're all assholes and should all be taken out back and shot. It's annoying, and I try really hard to avoid her, but I don't classify the whole company as sexist against men because of her attitude. I just classify her as needing a good massage or vacation or something.

I guess that in order for me to classify the whole show as sexist, I would need to see more than one instance of some jackass spouting off. Right now, all I have is one jackass who has apparently manage to start an affair with his partner's wife, even though he thinks all women are stupid bitches who can't understand the concept of a light switch.

The rest of your post, I agree with though, especially regarding how long he's been in his coma with no medical care. That really bugged me, too.

Lyra Jean
11-04-2010, 01:19 AM
In 28 Days Later it's not like we know how long he was in a coma either. I put the whole coma bit into the suspension of disbelief. He needs to not know what's going on coma is the best way to do that.

My husband and I both found the joke at the beginning funny. I think it only offends if you find it offensive. After all there are jokes about men that are in that same vein. If the affair had been going on before the show started perhaps the "friend" is telling this joke to keep MC from suspecting said affair. At least that is what I thought when I saw "friend" and wife kiss.

Kaiser-Kun
11-04-2010, 01:22 AM
The comic book starts growing the beard more or less between issues 10-20... and the tv show is gonna be 6 episodes per season... oh dear, this is going to be kinda slow...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Huh. Dang it I swore I wasn't going to get curmudgeonly on this thing until after week three and you've all just goaded me into it.

There was a definite lack of details regarding when the hospital "fell". Clearly signs were everywhere that some sort of stand happened there (there were the remains of what could be described as a military outpost in the parking lot). Maybe though most of the surrounding area was overwhelmed weeks or months before, the hospital lasted until just a day or two before the MC awoke.

I didn't have any trouble with the anti-feminist conversation at the beginning. I felt it was meant to show us how empathetic the MC was, that his relationship with his wife wasn't stellar and that his BF was a bit of a playa (well, for a Georgian Deputy Sheriff). When I mentioned misogyny in my earlier post, I was referring to the more subtle way women were portrayed as both weak and in need of protection and guidance, and as a prize to be contested by the menfolk. (Of course, if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that female characters have been set-back about twenty years since Buffy closed the Hellmouth for good.)

Kaiser-Kun
11-04-2010, 04:24 AM
When I mentioned misogyny in my earlier post, I was referring to the more subtle way women were portrayed as both weak and in need of protection and guidance, and as a prize to be contested by the menfolk. (Of course, if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that female characters have been set-back about twenty years since Buffy closed the Hellmouth for good.)[/SIZE]

Hmm, I don't know about that. In the comic, the best fighters in the group are women (Andrea the sniper and Michonne the melee combatant).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Hmm, I don't know about that. In the comic, the best fighters in the group are women (Andrea the sniper and Michonne the melee combatant).

Yes, well, comics have Supergirl and Wonderwoman (and Buffy, too, I think). I'll wait to see what we find on the tv adaption.

AlexPiper
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM

I find it amusing that we're effectively decrying the lack of realism in a show where the world has been overrun by rotting undead. Just sayin'. :)

On a more serious note, as I recall in the comics Rick eventually finds out that the hospital was still manned until the zombies overran it. Apparently that happened not too long before he woke up. If I remember right, I think the timeline was that he was in a coma for three months, the outbreak (and evacuation of nonessential people in the town) happened a month before he wakes up, and the hospital was overrun about a week(?) before he regains consciousness.

(Anyone who read the comics more recently than me, check me on this?)

Sydneyd
11-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I think that the timeline would make sense (ish). Like Piper mentioned the hospital could've been (or was?) ran by a few people who stayed behind. The door was changed from the inside.

I was also angry about the horse. He shouldnt have promised it wasnt going to die. Horses are very trusting. I can only hope that the horse comes back and wreaks some horsey zombie mayhem.

All in all, I thought this episode was pretty depressing. But then I get way too into things when I watch them. When Fred died (Angel) I cried for a week. I am going to wait for my overall opinion till the second episode. I realize that there are certain factors that need to be established, and because of the genre those factors will be repetitive.

It's set to record on my DVR!

Satori1977
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Finally saw this last night. I really liked it, think it is about time they did a Zombie tv show. Now I have never read the comics (or even knew they were comics), so I can't comment on that.

I do see a small parallel to 28 days, but honestly wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned here. The major issue I had was the hospital scene as well. I am going to assume that there were some staff there taking care of him until shortly before he woke up, or else it doesn't make sense. An IV running for a month or more? I don't think so. And the fact that no alarms went off when he starting taking things off made me think there was no power. It was obvious his bandage hadn't been changed in awhile. And he would have had a urinary catheter (or would have pissed and crapped all over himself). Medical mistakes always bug me.

And I did get really angry when the horse died. I hate seeing animals hurt in tv and movies.

I did wonder about the wife and his friend. I thought it was pretty messed up, and way too soon...then I thought it had probably been going on for awhile.

Otherwise, I liked it. I like how they portrayed the zombies (not even calling them that). I prefer shambing to running. Make-up was really good. Who else wants a walk on role as a zombie?? I think it would be fun. Also like the story line of the man with his son, and the mom being turned. Felt so bad for them.

They have a few kinks to work out, but I am looking forward to next week.

Manuel Royal
11-05-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't know anything about the graphic novel, but the series was a bit derivative (if not downright plagiaristic) in that the hero was shot and then 28 DAYS LATER he awoke in a hospital to find the world overrun by zombies. Also are American actors so expensive now they have to import Aussies and Brits for everything?Well, using the same idea isn't plagiarism.

Further, the opening of 28 Days Later was an homage to Day of the Triffids. It's too good a plot device not to use again.

And there was a lot of acting in this ep--the window sniper scene was particularly annoying, but I do admit to a certain curmudgieness.Not sure what this means. You don't like fiction shows to have acting in them? I'm a curmudgeon myself, so maybe I can understand.

I wish I'd known they were filming in Atlanta; I coulda been a zombie! In the comic, it was clear that neither the writer (Robert Kirkman) nor the artist (Tony Moore) had ever been to Atlanta, and didn't do the half-hour's Internet research that would have at least provided real street names and a proper skyline; so it was good to see my city on the screen.

They'll do okay if they follow the general storyline of the comics, while improving on its worst flaws (terrible dialogue and terminally stupid heroes). Judging by Frank Darabont's film The Mist, he won't shy away from the comic's theme that nobody is ever safe. (And if you rent or buy The Mist, I highly recommend watching the black & white version of the movie on the bonus disk.)

Come to think of it, it's too bad Thomas Jane, who starred in The Mist, couldn't have played Rick, but he's busy playing a manwhore on HBO's show Hung. But Andrew Lincoln did fine. Both he and Lennie James (who played Morgan, the grieving widower with the young son) are English, but they do pretty well with American accents.

For a fan of the comic, it was fun to see the characters brought to life. When viewers start to get attached to them ... well, there'll be some rough episodes down the road.

There are logic problems, pretty much inherent to the genre. The zombies in the show are apparently Type 1b (based on my own classification). Meaning that they're individually very slow and unintelligent -- and also that only people infected with the zombie virus (or whatever the agent is) will become zombies. (As opposed to Type 1a, the George Romero zombie. In his scenario, everybody who dies for any reason rises as the living dead.)

That should be the most survivable scenario (though an essential element of the zombie problem changes later on), and if the military could maintain discipline, there's no way they should be overwhelmed. For the total collapse that seems in evidence, I'd have to posit that there was mutiny in the ranks and mass desertion as soldiers and Guardsmen panicked and took off to try and save their own families.

Manuel Royal
11-05-2010, 12:50 AM
And I did get really angry when the horse died. I hate seeing animals hurt in tv and movies.I know what you mean. Maybe this'll help: Blade (the horse), takin' a break with his co-star, Andrew Lincoln. (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/Andrew-Lincoln-WM-560.jpg)

Kaiser-Kun
11-05-2010, 12:56 AM
All in all, I thought this episode was pretty depressing. But then I get way too into things when I watch them. When Fred died (Angel) I cried for a week.

Uh-oh... it's a good thing you haven't read the comics then. Specially issue 48...

Sydneyd
11-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Uh-oh... it's a good thing you haven't read the comics then. Specially issue 48...

Oh great! does a box full of puppies get eaten?

Kaiser-Kun
11-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Oh great! does a box full of puppies get eaten?

...that would've been easier to process... :(

Manuel Royal
11-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Uh-oh... it's a good thing you haven't read the comics then. Specially issue 48...I read them in the graphic novel collections, rather than the individual comics, but I think I know the one you mean. Oh, yes.

Now that I think of it, maybe the best thing the comics do is communicate how deeply, grotesquely sad the whole zombie scenario is. Looks like they've caught that pretty well in the show.

Zoombie
11-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Oh I HOPE they fix the terminally stupid heroes thing.

Cause seriously, they started dying so rapidly and in situations so obviously deadly, I stopped reading the comics in anger and frustration.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-05-2010, 04:11 AM
...the opening of 28 Days Later was an homage to Day of the Triffids. It's too good a plot device not to use again.I think Night of the Comet did a much better homage to DOTT. But yeah, you're right. Altho there really is no use denying that the similarities between TWD and 28Days are closer than any of the other comparisons.
Not sure what this means. You don't like fiction shows to have acting in them?I dislike when the acting takes me out of the story and bashes me over the head with the fact that some guy is on screen being paid to emote. I think the window-sniper scene did this. He looks through the viewfinder... Can't pull the trigger! He steadies himself, looks again... Again he can't pull the trigger! His heart is breaking. He has to save her! It's all too much for him!!!

Puh-leeez! About half of his anquish would have sufficed. (But really you're leading me into picking knits; I really enjoyed the show overall.)

brainstorm77
11-05-2010, 04:16 AM
When's the next installment?

Manuel Royal
11-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Puh-leeez! About half of his anquish would have sufficed. (But really you're leading me into picking knits; I really enjoyed the show overall.) That's "picking nits". (I had to do that just for the irony.)

It's an emotional scene; perhaps the most wrenching, nightmarish moment of the character's life. Not sure how much you want that underplayed.

I've got Night of the Comet on my Netflix queue; maybe I'll bump it up now.

Brainstorm77, the show should be on AMC Sunday nights, 10 EST.

shawkins
11-05-2010, 07:01 AM
I've got Night of the Comet on my Netflix queue; maybe I'll bump it up now.

Night of the Comet is indeed a classic, but it is probably best enjoyed if you do not go in thinking that you are about to see the Citizen Kane of the 80s. It is fair to say that you are not.

Satori1977
11-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I think Night of the Comet did a much better homage to DOTT. But yeah, you're right. Altho there really is no use denying that the similarities between TWD and 28Days are closer than any of the other comparisons.I dislike when the acting takes me out of the story and bashes me over the head with the fact that some guy is on screen being paid to emote. I think the window-sniper scene did this. He looks through the viewfinder... Can't pull the trigger! He steadies himself, looks again... Again he can't pull the trigger! His heart is breaking. He has to save her! It's all too much for him!!!

Puh-leeez! About half of his anquish would have sufficed. (But really you're leading me into picking knits; I really enjoyed the show overall.)

I liked that scene, probably my favorite scene of the whole ep. I found his emotion, his anguish over whether to pull the trigger or not, very real. It doesn't matter what he does, he knows that. She is already gone. That isn't her (the wife and mother he knew), but seeing her face, he still can't do it.

I hope to see more of his character.

Noah Body
11-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Night of the Comet is indeed a classic, but it is probably best enjoyed if you do not go in thinking that you are about to see the Citizen Kane of the 80s. It is fair to say that you are not.

I worked on that movie... kind of. I worked for the FBO where the JetRanger was based, and fueled it up a couple of times over the two days the production company could afford to use it. :D

shawkins
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I worked on that movie... kind of. I worked for the FBO where the JetRanger was based, and fueled it up a couple of times over the two days the production company could afford to use it. :D

LOL. That was a real helicopter? I alway sort of assumed it was one of those kind on a wire that they give to little kids, except painted really well.

"Attention Shoppers..."

I am SO watching that movie again this weekend.

seun
11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I find it amusing that we're effectively decrying the lack of realism in a show where the world has been overrun by rotting undead. Just sayin'. :)

Surely if this example was more realistic (I haven't seen it yet so I don't know the details), that would be better than just saying it doesn't matter because it's a show about an unrealistic issue - zombies? Just because the zombie angle isn't part of the real world shouldn't mean the makers and viewers accept what sounds to me like a cock up.

shawkins
11-05-2010, 09:02 PM
As an FYI, I was on iTunes this morning and it looks like they're selling full episodes.

Noah Body
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
LOL. That was a real helicopter? I alway sort of assumed it was one of those kind on a wire that they give to little kids, except painted really well.

"Attention Shoppers..."

I am SO watching that movie again this weekend.

Definitely a real helicopter, a 1973 model if memory serves. I always wondered why military guys were flying around in a brightly-colored civilian helicopter, but hey... when you're making indy films, you fill in as best as you can.

That film started my unrequited love for Catherine Mary Stewart, though being the fickle man that I am, I'm sure I abandoned her a year or so later. And I found Mary Woronov to be very strangely... hot. In a cerebral sort of way.

"An E-ticket attraction! Let's do it again..."

shawkins
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
That film started my unrequited love for Catherine Mary Stewart,

Oh, hell yes! I hope wherever she is now she still has that same haircut.

And I found Mary Woronov to be very strangely... hot. In a cerebral sort of way.

In-deed. She's so very stern. Hubba hubba.

xitomatl
11-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Oddly enough I'm watching the pilot again here while I'm typing this post...

There are logic problems, pretty much inherent to the genre. The zombies in the show are apparently Type 1b (based on my own classification).

I would be very interested to see your classification system of zombies. Perhaps it's something that should be standardized?

I think it's really too bad that the whole 28 Days Later/The Walking Dead thing is being so beaten over, especially regarding the coma (there's not much similarity besides that... especially since they aren't even technically zombies in 28 Days Later, just ask Danny Boyle), especially considering, as I previously pointed out in my timeline, I'm pretty goddamned sure Kirkman had it written, and probably had the first comic drawn, before 28 Days Later was even out over here in North America.

So unless he flew to the UK, or got an advance script, there you have it.

And as previous people had pointed out, 28 Days Later wasn't the first movie to ever come up with the whole "wake up from a coma and find everything different" anyway. I mean, hell, they do it in freaking soap operas every other week.

Sydneyd
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
They're infected with RAGE!!!!!!!!

dpaterso
11-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Watched the 1st ep. last night on FX (on UK satellite TV). Liked it lots. Always slightly odd to see Brit actors popping up with transAtlantic accents, but what the hey.

Sure, there's a "been done before, often" vibe, but that didn't stop us from enjoying this intro.

Funny that Night of the Comet is being mentioned, I got a DVD for my b'day a couple months ago as a half-joke nostalgia present, we'll probably watch it tonight while we consume our Saturday Night Monster Stir-Fry. My other half hasn't seen it before (she was a Sci-Fi virgin before she met me) so it should be entertaining.

-Derek

ChaosTitan
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Finally got to see this, too. I missed the first six minutes or so, but it was easy to catch up. I liked it. So far, it's nothing new as far as zombies go, but I liked the lead character. I keep with it until it gives me a reason not to. :)

shawkins
11-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Watched the 1st ep. last night on FX (on UK satellite TV). Liked it lots. Always slightly odd to see Brit actors popping up with transAtlantic accents, but what the hey.

I wouldn't have known the guy was a Brit if I hadn't read it somewhere. Out of curiosity, when you hear non-U.K. actors faking British accents how do they rate? Spike, say?

dpaterso
11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Out of curiosity, when you hear non-U.K. actors faking British accents how do they rate? Spike, say?
No harm to James Marsters, but Spike's English accent sounded so fake it stuck out like a sore thumb. :) So for that matter did Juliet Landau's Drusilla and David Boreanaz's Oirish accent in those historical Angelus flashbacks.

Yeah, Andrew Lincoln's and Lennie James's accents sounded pretty authentic to me, if I hadn't recognized the actors I would have been fooled.

Not related to Walking Dead, Jamie Bamber, playing Lee Adama/Apollo in Battlestar Galactica, had me fooled for 5 years, I had no idea he was English, I thought he was an American actor. And here's an oddball -- you recall Jane Leeves, played Daphne in Frazier? She put on a Mancunian (city of Manchester, England) accent for the show. It sounded so fake it stuck out like a sore thumb. :) Thing is, she's English, but I thought she was an American actress, too.

-Derek

Satori1977
11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
No harm to James Marsters, but Spike's English accent sounded so fake it stuck out like a sore thumb. :) So for that matter did Juliet Landau's Drusilla and David Boreanaz's Oirish accent in those historical Angelus flashbacks.

Yeah, Andrew Lincoln's and Lennie James's accents sounded pretty authentic to me, if I hadn't recognized the actors I would have been fooled.

Not related to Walking Dead, Jamie Bamber, playing Lee Adama/Apollo in Battlestar Galactica, had me fooled for 5 years, I had no idea he was English, I thought he was an American actor. And here's an oddball -- you recall Jane Leeves, played Daphne in Frazier? She put on a Mancunian (city of Manchester, England) accent for the show. It sounded so fake it stuck out like a sore thumb. :) Thing is, she's English, but I thought she was an American actress, too.

-Derek

I had no idea about Jamie Bamber as well, until two weeks ago when I saw Law and Order: UK, and he was in it! He had me fooled for years. (I also had no idea about this installment of L&O).

shawkins
11-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Even *I* thought the oirish was bad.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Whenever non-southerners try to put on a drawl God kills a kitten.

Reminds me of a funny story though. I used to work with this Indian chick who grew up in Georgia. Her southern accent was the real deal. She told me that when she went back to India to visit relatives no one could understand her until she started impersonating Abu from the Simpsons.

AlexPiper
11-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Reminds me of a funny story though. I used to work with this Indian chick who grew up in Georgia. Her southern accent was the real deal. She told me that when she went back to India to visit relatives no one could understand her until she started impersonating Abu from the Simpsons.

I lived in Japan for a while as a kid... specifically, in Osaka. As a result, though my Japanese is rusty these days, still I tend to speak with a distinct Kansai accent when I do try to speak Japanese. I've had some fairly amusing reactions to this over the years.

As background, Kansai dialect is pretty distinctive. It would be the equivalent of walking up to a Chinese person to say hello, and when they greet you, they do so with a really strong Brooklyn accent. There's apparently a moment of cognitive dissonance to the experience to overcome before you can move on.

dpaterso
11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Funny that Night of the Comet is being mentioned, ... we'll probably watch it tonight ... it should be entertaining.
...And so it was! Just as much fun now as it was when I first saw it back in 1989, when Brit director Alex Cox showcased it on BBC2's Moviedrome cult film tribute series (which UK viewers may recall). The DVD was good quality, too.

-Derek

BenPanced
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Even *I* thought the oirish was bad.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Whenever non-southerners try to put on a drawl God kills a kitten.

The one episode of Highlander I watched was the one Joan Jett did a guest appearance. She was okay, but she had a Magical Disappearing Fronch Acsohnt during a flashback scene. Almost worse than Kevin Costner's "British" accent in Robin Hood Prince of Los Angeles Thieves.

Debbie
11-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Wow, that 2nd episode opener was ahh... rather steamy.

And that car, oh daddy, me needs a Challenger.

*breaks out Christmas list*

xitomatl
11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
My biggest beef so far is how the relationship with Lori and Shane is going.

Oh, and the zombie that could climb over the fence. I'm a purist.

seun
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I finally watched the first episode last night. Not really anything we haven't seen before but still very entertaining.

Bmwhtly
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Andrew LincolnAndrew Lincoln?

From Teachers?

That's preposterous!

ChaosTitan
11-08-2010, 06:31 PM
SPOILERS?

Overall, episode two was enjoyable. I like the second group that Rick found. Michael Rooker is always entertaining.

My only quibble was the super-predictable rain shower that washed off the zombie gore. I know random afternoon rain bubbles happen in the south, but drama-wise, it was just too convenient for me.

Satori1977
11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
SPOILERS?

Overall, episode two was enjoyable. I like the second group that Rick found. Michael Rooker is always entertaining.

My only quibble was the super-predictable rain shower that washed off the zombie gore. I know random afternoon rain bubbles happen in the south, but drama-wise, it was just too convenient for me.

I agree, too easy. And I still think a stink that horrible and strong (I have smelled dead and decomposing bodies) would not have been completely washed away in 30 seconds.

Those two are really making me angry. I can't wait until her husband gets to the group to see how he reacts.

And the zombie over the fence, I agree. Maybe super fast zombies could do it, maybe, but these slow, shambling ones that can't even lift their feet when they walk? No.

Overall, I did like it though. Having fun with this show.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
My only quibble was the super-predictable rain shower that washed off the zombie gore. I know random afternoon rain bubbles happen in the south, but drama-wise, it was just too convenient for me.That was your quibble? Huh. Mine was the tripping--okay, anyone can trip--but the single key needed to unlock the handcuffs managing to land in a drain pipe just four inches in diameter? Ah, come on!

This ep was full of very convenient events that happened just to provide drama. The events were reminding me of... Oh, yeah, The Event!

Overall, I still am in deep like with this show.

Satori1977
11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
That was your quibble? Huh. Mine was the tripping--okay, anyone can trip--but the single key needed to unlock the handcuffs managing to land in a drain pipe just four inches in diameter? Ah, come on!

This ep was full of very convenient events that happened just to provide drama. The events were reminding me of... Oh, yeah, The Event!

Overall, I still am in deep like with this show.

I forgot about that! My husband and I both looked at each other at this scene. Like really??

I think a show about zombies (or walkers if you like) should have plenty of drama without forcing it.

Kaiser-Kun
11-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Those two are really making me angry. I can't wait until her husband gets to the group to see how he reacts.

Methinks that they flanderized Lori a little bit.

In the comic, they make it pretty clear that it was only one time, out of Lori's fear and solitude, and she had enormous guilt for months after it. But making her go for an affair less than three months after abandoning Rick looks like a bit of a character derailment... Well, it's not like she had much of a personality in the comic other than being a whiny, bitchy load.

As for Rick's reaction, hopefully it'll be-

*CAUTION SPOILERS MAYBE*

-bigger than in the comic, where he realizes it more or less since the beginning and DOES NOTHING.

Debbie
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Yea, that fence was coming down anyway, didn't that climber.

Enjoyed both episodes even w/the 'yea, right' parts.
Onto a more serious note: what's the dealio w/Shane's pants?
It's as if someone from Mad Men's wardrobe department got a hold of that guy. Them suckers are hiked Way To High above his button.

*Ah, it's almost 1am, maybe I'm just tired.*

Nah.

brainstorm77
11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Second episode in and I'm still lovin it:D

Lyra Jean
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Losing the key was a bit over dramatic. But my husband and I were like give the dude the hacksaw at least.

We did not like the zombie climbing the fence either. Did you see the zombie with the rock and using it to break the glass doors of the department store.

Bmwhtly
11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Did you see the zombie with the rock and using it to break the glass doors of the department store.
That's no big deal.
The very first zombie did that way back in the 60's.

brainstorm77
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I have no problem with any of that.

DonnaDuck
11-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Because I don't have cable (because I was one show a week, make that two now with TWD, and I'm not paying out my ass for that), I have to download my episodes from iTunes so I'm only up to the first episode. I'll have to download the next one tonight.

I'm not a huge zombie nut but I'm definitely digging this show. It had its creepy moments (the guy under the tank, for instance) that had me squirming. And the drama. Gotta love the drama!

As for the zombies themselves, I think they're a good balance between the classic and the 'roid rage we've seen lately. I definitely had by 28 Days moment at the beginning of the episode (the connection just can't be helped, I don't think, regardless of how small it is nor the timing of the movie vs. the comics, it's just there) but I like that the zombies have some scare factor to them. Yes, the slow ambling zombies are more accurate (I mean, they are decomposing so it'd be hard to go all nutty when you risk losing limbs with a cough) but frankly, those types just aren't scary. I don't think they actually pose a threat, even en masse because you can just walk away, literally, and you're fine. I like that these guys can get riled up when en masse and actually chase you and go a little ballistic. That's far scarier, I think. They pose a genuine threat because they can eat your ass alive. The other guys you can just skip away from. Or even crawl.

maggi90w1
11-09-2010, 11:16 PM
And I still think a stink that horrible and strong (I have smelled dead and decomposing bodies) would not have been completely washed away in 30 seconds.
I don't know... the zombies seemed pretty suspicious about them before the rain. Maybe wet humans smell stronger then dry humans. I mean, dogs do...I think. I don't have a dog.

About the Lori and Shane thing: I don't like both characters, but people seem to overreact to the whole cheating thing (there are like 12 "Lori's such a whore" threads at imdb.) I mean, she left her husband unconscious and helpless in a zombie infested city weeks ago. She probably thinks he's dead. And they seemed to have serious issues in their marriage so she's probably not all heartbroken about loosing her great love either. Boinking the hot, protective friend for distraction makes sense.

Overall, I liked the second episode even more then the first, although I had to stretch my Suspension of disbelief a few times (key in the drain).

Stacia Kane
11-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I know this is a bit OT, but I would seriously almost deal with a zombie apocalypse to be able to drive that Challenger.*

I didn't care for the sex-in-the-woods scene, although it was pretty hot IMO, but I don't think Lori's a whore for it. I'd think in a situation like that people would be kind of banging anything that moves; it's a documented physiological reaction, you know? Something about the drive to continue/create life. But I thought they were stupid for being unarmed.

(*Is a total Hemi girl.)

Noah Body
11-10-2010, 12:13 AM
SHPOILAH:

I'm surprised with folks picking out the inaccuracies and the like that no one noticed the MC should be 100% deaf after discharging a firearm inside an M1... and maybe killed outright by fragments whirling around once the bullet passed through the target. :D

brainstorm77
11-10-2010, 01:20 AM
I can't fault the show for the key thing. I've dropped stuff down drains myself.

Lyra Jean
11-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I still think handcuffed man will magically get away.

brainstorm77
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I still think handcuffed man will magically get away.

Given the tool bag was dropped around him with the hacksaw, I'm guessing he will find a way to get it?

Satori1977
11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I know this is a bit OT, but I would seriously almost deal with a zombie apocalypse to be able to drive that Challenger.*

I didn't care for the sex-in-the-woods scene, although it was pretty hot IMO, but I don't think Lori's a whore for it. I'd think in a situation like that people would be kind of banging anything that moves; it's a documented physiological reaction, you know? Something about the drive to continue/create life. But I thought they were stupid for being unarmed.

(*Is a total Hemi girl.)

Loved the Challenger too.

I think Lori is a whore because I think it will come out they were screwing long before this. That conversation in the car on the first ep? Rick was having problems with his wife then, and Shane was asking about it. I bet anything they have been together for awhile.

And if not, yes she thinks her husband is dead, but only for a month or so. Last thing I would be thinking about with my husband dead, being a single mother, and escaping zombies, is sex. Maybe that is just me.

Grrarrgh
11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Overall, I like the series. However, when it comes to movies/TV shows that are derived from another source, I am a bit neurotic about sticking closely to the source material. If you have to take some stuff out of the source because of time constraints or things that can't be shown on TV, that's fine. I fully expect that if they get to certain points in the comic, they'll have to do that with this series. But don't make stuff up. Don't add stuff that wasn't in the source to begin with. (Harry Potter 6 and the attack on the Burrows, I'm looking at you)

This is probably naive of me, and I'm ok with that. It just frustrated me that almost the entire second episode was invented. The comic didn't involve a tank. Glen was in the city getting supplies for the group and found Rick. He helped him escape the horde of zombies that ate his horse, and they went to the camp. Several issues later, he and Glen alone set out to go back to the city to try and find a gun store. That's when they did the whole cover-themselves-in-gore bit to get through the zombies. And, yes, it did get washed off by the rain.

The entire thing with the guy on the roof insulting and beating the crap out of the other guy and getting handcuffed there was just invented. There was no one in the comic who acted like that, and there was certainly no brother to take revenge on the people who left him for dead (based on the previews for next week). There was no Charger scene, no crazy rescue in a truck.

The whole thing with Lori and Shane's affair was invented. They apparently hooked up once, on the way to Atlanta, and it was more of a holy-shit-the-world-is-ending kind of thing.

Again, I do realize that I'm probably naive and neurotic, but these comics are really good. I don't understand why the writers of the TV show feel the need to invent crap just for the sake of inventing it. It really bugged me the whole time I was watching it.

brainstorm77
11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure what exactly is practical in a world full of zombies...

I guess the writers did feel the need to add to story. I doubt they just added stuff just for the sake of doing so. Obviously they felt something was lacking.

Lyra Jean
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I've just learned to separate source material from the new show. Otherwise I would never be to watch "Little House on the Prairie" with my friends.

brainstorm77
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Same. I recently read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, the movie was nothing like the book.

Grrarrgh
11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I know. Like I said, I know that I'm naive and I know that it's going to happen, but it really bugs me. Mr. Grr hates to watch any movies or TV shows based on books with me because I just sit there fuming the whole time. It's my problem, not the show's.

Satori1977
11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Well I am glad I haven't read the comic (though I am curious about them), because I am enjoying the show.

Sydneyd
11-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Just watched the second episode. I was happy to see the guy from Boondock Saints (speaking of bad accents :) )I dont know, I kind of wanted...more to happen. I think I am just waiting for the big blow out. I want to see that chick's, Lori?, face when she sees her husband is alive. My thing is if she truly thought her husband was dead, then why would she be sneaking around? I guess I have to wait till next week.

Lyra Jean
11-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Just watched the second episode. I was happy to see the guy from Boondock Saints (speaking of bad accents :) )I dont know, I kind of wanted...more to happen. I think I am just waiting for the big blow out. I want to see that chick's, Lori?, face when she sees her husband is alive. My thing is if she truly thought her husband was dead, then why would she be sneaking around? I guess I have to wait till next week.

I also felt that this episode seemed short or I thought more would happen or something.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-11-2010, 01:52 AM
I know. Like I said, I know that I'm naive and I know that it's going to happen, but it really bugs me. Mr. Grr hates to watch any movies or TV shows based on books with me because I just sit there fuming the whole time. It's my problem, not the show's.

You must have been a joy to watch The Wizard of OZ with as a child (only teasing!).

Another thing to keep in mind is that in a novel or even a comic, the structure is different than a forty-five minute tv show. On the telly the narrative arc has to correspond to the insertion of about six forced intermissions. I agree with you though that most changes in movies are usually someone's off idea of improving on perfection.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Well, I have plenty of complaints about Walking dead, but other than 'how the hell do the southern city/country survivors lack firearms, AR-15's, AK-47's, ect.' type of thing, I'll just say:

Lori should be the definition of a whore. She was taking it doggy style on the ground in the woods after only a month of her husband being gone. She obviously didn't give much of a damn about him, and the way she is letting Shane 'saddle up' in that manner is because she is a complete and unfaithful whore. Any 'real' single mother with children would have given it at least a month of mourning, and been closed to plenty of advancements. It's either for just drama; or she was screwing shane before our poor MC was in the hospital.

Now, onto my next complaint, the kid screaming YAHOO in the dodge charger. As a teenager surrounded by teenagers, I know bloody well we'd just have a stupid grin on our face as we sped down the highway at 120 mph. Oh, by the way, I once saw a car driving over a lane divider to get out of traffic. In all honesty, the whole 'clear in-lane' idea is complete horsecrap. The only way the cars would be blocked from exit is #1. a crash, or #2. military blockade. People would be shifting their Jeeps into gear and getting the hell out of dodge in a second unless something was keeping them in the city.

My next complaint is the sheriffs awesome headshot count with that beretta. I own a 92FS, and I know a few police officers (relax, friendly way.). Unless our MC is magically a national champion with a beretta, he'd be missing at least 9 of the 15 shots he'd have with that pistol. And that's at least. When officers fire their guns, 15% of the time, it hits the suspect. This feller's up close, on the move, and scoring pops right over the eyes at 10-15 yards away with little time in between.

Next up, the horse... It seems to be the 'signature' of the series, yet he only rides the damn thing for about 10 minutes before it's engulfed by zombies. Yay... And why does that sheriff's department only have shotguns and a rifle? One would think they'd have a civilian assault rifle lying around somewhere, hell, even civilians would have them down south. Ak-47's run along $350 dollars for Romanian WASR reliabililty, a good AR-15's going to be about $900.

And lastly, a Colt Python... Come on, a six-shot Colt Python is your choice, when you could have a nice Smith and Wesson 686 with seven shots? Hell, eight? Now I am just nitpicking on his poor choice in arms and the developers poor choice(s) in arms. Comes with living in the Show-Me state.

All in all, the most I'd give the series is four out of five stars so far, and the second episode only two stars. The third part had better be damn good, or if it isn't, they better get Kurt Russell in there somewhere, and a new script-writer.

Kaiser-Kun
11-11-2010, 04:45 AM
The only way the cars would be blocked from exit is #1. a crash, or #2. military blockade. People would be shifting their Jeeps into gear and getting the hell out of dodge in a second unless something was keeping them in the city.

In the comics they mentioned the military setting up safe zones in cities, but they didn't go into much detail.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-11-2010, 05:29 AM
In the comics they mentioned the military setting up safe zones in cities, but they didn't go into much detail.

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Walking-Dead-tv-series-6.jpg
Here's the part I was pissing myself over.

As you can see; the innie-road is clear. Not a car in sight. No sign of struggle.
As for the other side; cars are parked and dilapidated, far too many cars that are organized in that line for the size of that city, which is assumably near 300,000. If I were a driver, I'd be over that barrier in a split second, I mean, show me the blueprints of how they all stayed so well-formed. Too picture perfect.

Sydneyd
11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
It is a show about zombies. I like this picture...it is pretty powerful

Shadow_Ferret
11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
The picture in that ad is for dramatic purposes, not to be taken as a literal depiction of what would happen in reality.

maestrowork
11-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I agree. The poster is thematic, and it's a powerful image that conveys the tone, the themes, etc. So it's a very effective poster and shouldn't be taken literally.

DonnaDuck
11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
http://horrornews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Walking-Dead-tv-series-6.jpg

As you can see; the innie-road is clear. Not a car in sight. No sign of struggle.
As for the other side; cars are parked and dilapidated, far too many cars that are organized in that line for the size of that city, which is assumably near 300,000. If I were a driver, I'd be over that barrier in a split second, I mean, show me the blueprints of how they all stayed so well-formed. Too picture perfect.

I think scenes like that are kind of normal in disaster movies and like what others said, it's for effect. I remember in Independence Day Goldblum's character were driving into DC with zero traffic but the out side of the highway was jammed and I remember thinking that I'd be driving on the other side of the road where it's, you know, clear.

Like what others have said, it's purely for effect. Should an apocalyptic event actually happen, I don't think people would sit idly in gridlock which the other side of the road is sky clear.

shawkins
11-11-2010, 07:43 PM

I live in Atlanta and drive down that stretch of road (I-85, looks like a little bit north of Hartsfield airport) pretty often. Just FYI, there is absolutely no way you could get a vehicle over that median, not even an SUV. It's about chest height, a foot thick and made of concrete. They don't budge even when semis slam into them at speed. Even smaller ones will literally stop a tank (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://netstorage.discovery.com/feeds/brightcove/asset-thumbnails/dsc/efb655c9437c3d55b49003cc148c15a9d2892d5cT.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/destroyed-in-seconds-tank-madman.html&usg=__7FL51VZKwvnn7MKAxhA4bLQ60WE=&h=107&w=160&sz=17&hl=en&start=33&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=xUvitkwEAIRqfM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dman%2Bsteals%2Btank%2Bsan%2Bdiego%26s tart%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1W1A DFA_en%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1). To get on the other side you'd have to backtrack and go the wrong way down an exit ramp to the north bound side or something.

My gripe is that the traffic on the southbound side seems awfully light. Not kidding. Metro Atlanta has a population of about half a million, with five and a half million in the surrounding area. You regularly--like every day--see much worse traffic jams than the one shown above in the course of ordinary commuting.

Manuel Royal
11-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Shawkins, from the skyline in the picture I can see he's approaching Atlanta from the East, on Freedom Parkway. The empty westbound side is an evocative image, but I'd expect to see both sides full.

It's impossible to say definitively what things would be like, since nothing like that has ever happened. An ordinary epidemic, or even a horribly bad pandemic, is psychologically at least comprehensible. How would people react if dead people started walking around and attacking them? I'd find it hard to accept that it was even real. (Though I do have about ten weapons in my bedroom that would come in handy ....)

Debbie
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm just happy, I get to see a series that shows the back of a zombies head get blown out and the immediate results of a shovel to the cheek.

Not only that, I think the part where Rick chops up that zombie and everyone is "Eww" "Ahhh" should be a sound bite.

"Hand me that axe. We're gonna need more guts."
Rick Grimes - The Walking Dead

shawkins
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Shawkins, from the skyline in the picture I can see he's approaching Atlanta from the East, on Freedom Parkway. The empty westbound side is an evocative image, but I'd expect to see both sides full.

If you're sure about the skyline, I'll take your word for it. I'm not. But in episode one he did at one point say he was going to be heading up I-85.

It's impossible to say definitively what things would be like, ... <snip> ... How would people react if dead people started walking around and attacking them?

People in Atlanta would react by creating a traffic jam. I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain.

Lyra Jean
11-11-2010, 10:44 PM
My next complaint is the sheriffs awesome headshot count with that beretta. I own a 92FS, and I know a few police officers (relax, friendly way.). Unless our MC is magically a national champion with a beretta, he'd be missing at least 9 of the 15 shots he'd have with that pistol. And that's at least. When officers fire their guns, 15% of the time, it hits the suspect. This feller's up close, on the move, and scoring pops right over the eyes at 10-15 yards away with little time in between.

Now that you mention it, none of the cops were very good shots to begin with. Remember the beginning when they were firing their weapons at the living bad guys. Even my husband and I are like "Really, you're missing your target that much? Do you never practice? Don't you have a firing range?"

Lyra Jean
11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I think scenes like that are kind of normal in disaster movies and like what others said, it's for effect. I remember in Independence Day Goldblum's character were driving into DC with zero traffic but the out side of the highway was jammed and I remember thinking that I'd be driving on the other side of the road where it's, you know, clear.

Like what others have said, it's purely for effect. Should an apocalyptic event actually happen, I don't think people would sit idly in gridlock which the other side of the road is sky clear.

I remember when I was living in South Carolina and a hurricane was going to hit the coast. When the traffic got so bad that people were actually camping in the median they opened up the other side of the road so that people could leave the coast on both sides of the highway. So yeah my husband and I figured it was for dramatic purposes.

ceenindee
11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm so behind. Finally saw the first episode online today and will get around to the second later. It was grislier than I expected, but I like the characters.

Manuel Royal
11-12-2010, 01:49 AM
If you're sure about the skyline, I'll take your word for it. I'm not. But in episode one he did at one point say he was going to be heading up I-85.I'm not sure if Rob Kirkland looked at a map when he was writing the comic. Rick is traveling from Cynthiana, Kentucky to Atlanta, Georgia. That's about 400 miles, all of it on I-75, not 85. (Going through Knoxville and Chattanooga on the way.) He'd have to go 'way out of his way to be on I-85.

Now, once he got inside the I-285 Perimeter and was approaching downtown, he'd be on the Connector, where I-75 and I-85 join.

However -- it looks like what he's done is taken the Ivan Allen Blvd. exit off the Connector, turned East on Ivan Allen and continued on to Ralph McGill (it's common for Atlanta streets to change their names as you go along; you get used to it), taken a right on Boulevard and another right on Freedom Parkway.

In fact, I'd say he's about here. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Freedom+Parkway,+Atlanta,+GA&sll=33.722626,-84.073563&sspn=0.420334,0.891953&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Freedom+Pkwy,+Atlanta,+Georgia&ll=33.760097,-84.371953&spn=0.026402,0.055747&z=15&layer=c&cbll=33.760113,-84.372521&panoid=4pFwX6R6X-a1mLXLywJVvQ&cbp=12,260.73,,0,5)

Not sure why he'd take this detour (though it might be nearly impossible to get anywhere on the Connector). But it does provide a nice skyline.

Now, in the second episode, if I worked at it I could probably identify the building. It's close to the Georgia Dome in one direction and Westins Plaza Hotel in another. (That's the tall cylindrical building, once the tallest hotel in the world. If you look closely when it shows up, you can see that there are still windows missing from the 2008 tornado.)

My guess is somewhere around Fairlie-Poplar.

People in Atlanta would react by creating a traffic jam. I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain.You may be right about that -- Atlantans, faced with an inexplicable event of Biblical proportions, react by instinctively creating a traffic jam. I could see that happening.

Manuel Royal
11-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I think it's really too bad that the whole 28 Days Later/The Walking Dead thing is being so beaten over, especially regarding the coma (there's not much similarity besides that... especially since they aren't even technically zombies in 28 Days Later, just ask Danny Boyle), especially considering, as I previously pointed out in my timeline, I'm pretty goddamned sure Kirkman had it written, and probably had the first comic drawn, before 28 Days Later was even out over here in North America.Well, as pointed out, the scene in 28 Days Later was an homage to The Day of the Triffids.

Reminds me of a discussion (I use the term loosely) on the IMDB message board in which a barely-literate commenter claimed that the recent movie version of I am Legend was a ripoff of 28 Days Later. He was totally unaware that every single movie with a similar theme, including 28 Days Later, owes a lot to Richard Matheson's seminal 1957 novel. (He may have been unaware of the existence of books in general.)

Manuel Royal
11-12-2010, 02:14 AM
And, I forgot what I signed on to say. Which is that it's remarkable how much they've already departed from the comic; as noted, the whole story with the people in the downtown building is original to the show. The only characters in this episode from the comic are Rick, Glenn and Andrea (and the folks at the camp).

And, in the comic Lori (Rick's wife) had only had sex with Shane once, during a moment of despair and loneliness.

My guess is that Frank Darabont wanted to make it clear early on that the tv series is a separate entity.

brainstorm77
11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
And, I forgot what I signed on to say. Which is that it's remarkable how much they've already departed from the comic; as noted, the whole story with the people in the downtown building is original to the show. The only characters in this episode from the comic are Rick, Glenn and Andrea (and the folks at the camp).

And, in the comic Lori (Rick's wife) had only had sex with Shane once, during a moment of despair and loneliness.

My guess is that Frank Darabont wanted to make it clear early on that the tv series is a separate entity.

The actress playing Lori says the relationship isn't a romance, it's just sex. She said that in an interview about her character for what it's worth.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-12-2010, 03:10 AM

Well, in the TV series he's riding her like a donkey, daily.

Now, I would be surprised if she boned that old guy in the group. :mob

The actress playing Lori says the relationship isn't a romance, it's just sex. She said that in an interview about her character for what it's worth.

Figured as much, and glad you found it out. The bitch is a whore. :welcome:

Manuel Royal
11-12-2010, 03:13 AM

Now, I would be surprised if she boned that old guy in the group. :mob

Well, at that point she's essentially given up her husband for dead, so game on. I've told my girlfriend that when she dies, I'll actually be bending a chick over her coffin at her funeral.

(Just kidding; she's not going to have a funeral.)

brainstorm77
11-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Figured as much, and glad you found it out. The bitch is a whore.

Just curious, would you say the same if it was a man?

You've seen the whole series? In the two parts they have been shown to have sex once. Where is the daily thing? I must have missed it.

Debbie
11-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Dang, y'all.
You do realize that by the same definition, Shane is a whore, too.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Just curious, would you say the same if it was a man?
I sure as hell would. It's only been less than a month since our MC came back to life, so I'd expect any man or woman who's got an 3<X year old child to be giving a damn about their dead spouse for at least two months before they started getting ideas, unless they were unfaithful before...

You've seen the whole series? In the two parts they have been shown to have sex once. Where is the daily thing? I must have missed it.
They were sure as hell casual about it. You've got to assume that they know what their doing, judging on how quick she was to give him some tail in their little 'love' scene. And Doggy Style...

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Dang, y'all.
You do realize that by the same definition, Shane is a whore, too.

IMHO, it'd be nice for him to get bit :evil

brainstorm77
11-12-2010, 03:33 AM
I'll have to wait till I get trapped in a zombie apocalypse before making said judgements. I may just turn out to be a 'whore' myself.

Debbie
11-12-2010, 03:37 AM
I'll have to wait till I get trapped in a zombie apocalypse before making said judgements. I may just turn out to be a 'whore' myself.

Not if you wait 2months.
1 month yes. 2 nuh-uh.

brainstorm77
11-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Not if you wait 2months.
1 month yes. 2 nuh-uh.

*scribbles this down*

Debbie
11-12-2010, 04:04 AM
*scribbles this down*

*Googles local Dodge dealerships. JIC*

brainstorm77
11-12-2010, 04:07 AM
:D
*Googles local Dodge dealerships. JIC*
:evil

DonnaDuck
11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I just watched he second episode last night and I have to say, I was laughing my ass off when they were smearing themselves with zombie meat. And I don't think it's beyond the scope of reason for rain to dilute the stank of rotting zombie. I didn't notice if it was miraculously washed away entirely but I can certainly believe the rain diluted it enough for their fresh meat smell to seep through the rot and attract the zombies.

The key thing? Yeah, that's a mighty coincidence. Reading it here, I thought it was a drain in the ground, like flat, the key fell and slid into the drain but this thing was elevated and looked like a tiny smoke stack. That's some aim.

As for Lori, I think a major gesture of hers is being overlooked. Just before her and Shane are about to get it on, she stops and puts her hand over her necklace that holds her wedding ring. She pauses, slowly removed it and then gently places it away from her, holding her hand over it for a second longer before setting to work. I think if she were cheating on Rick before the world went to the zombies, she wouldn't hold her wedding ring in such high regard. If she still wore it at all, she'd be much more careless with it. But considering how she treats it, I'm not inclined to jump on the 'Lori is a Whore' bandwagon and tag her as adulterous. I really don't think she was, just based on her actions with that ring alone. As far as anyone knows, her husband is dead and I think she's just functioning on a "smoke 'em if you got 'em" attitude. Trying to attach a viable mourning period for her considering the post-apocalpytic setting just isn't right. I think when you run the risk of waking up dead every day of your life, all prior societal conceptions are tossed out the window. We'll know for sure once they all meet up but I really don't think the her and Shane thing happened until after the zombies took over.

Zoombie
11-13-2010, 07:58 PM

So, grabbing onto what pleasure you can before shambling corpses devour you alive in a grim world ruled by death and despair = a whore.

Got it!

Manuel Royal
11-14-2010, 01:19 AM
The key thing? Yeah, that's a mighty coincidence. Reading it here, I thought it was a drain in the ground, like flat, the key fell and slid into the drain but this thing was elevated and looked like a tiny smoke stack. That's some aim.That was a ventilation pipe. Haven't you ever dropped something and had it disappear into the most inconvenient place? Happens all the time, and it's just the sort of thing that happens when people are in a frantic hurry.

Now, he should have given Merle the hacksaw, but that would require pausing and thinking rationally, which he wasn't doing.

Personally, I would have strongly considered putting a slug in Merle's head.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-14-2010, 01:24 AM
So, grabbing onto what pleasure you can before shambling corpses devour you alive in a grim world ruled by death and despair = a whore.

Got it!

So, is there no such thing as rape either? :poke:

Manuel Royal
11-14-2010, 01:28 AM
So, is there no such thing as rape either? :poke:Is there a logical sequence of ideas leading to this question?

Debbie
11-14-2010, 02:19 AM

Got it!

So, is there no such thing as rape either?

Fail to see how pleasure equals the low-life act of rape, nor is there any humor in the smilie you provided.

I strongly urge you to have a well thought out response, Josef. Or, at the very least, refrain from announcing everything that pops into that brain of yours.
There's no need to be blantantly offensive, bc the ppl here, hear your voice better w/out it.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 02:32 AM
So, is there no such thing as rape either? :poke:

Where the heck did you get rape from that?

Zoombie
11-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm pretty good at non-lateral thinking...and the best I can come up with is "sex out of the bonds of matrimony is as bad as rape."

Buuuuuuuut that's all I've got.

Kaiser-Kun
11-14-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm pretty good at non-lateral thinking...and the best I can come up with is "sex out of the bonds of matrimony is as bad as rape."

Buuuuuuuut that's all I've got.

Ok, that's enough. Stop there. Please.

Zoombie
11-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Either way, I finally got around to watching the first episode, and I have to say...I'm liking it a lot more than the comics.

Sydneyd
11-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok no one attack me, but I think what Josef was referring to was the "grabbing whatever pleasure you can" part of the statement. One way of looking at that part of the statement is that because the world is ending, there are no laws anymore, why dont you just go out and do what you want? (like go out and rape someone ((again please dont attack me)) or maybe loot a unicorn necklace from a jewlery store) Granted the idea that a rapist gains pleasure from the act is debatable (on a different forum, not here, I dont want it to get locked!) but either way...zombies huh?

Zoombie
11-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Ah yes, that makes sense. Kinda.

And, well, if city is empty of zombies and anyone who cares, then I think looting becomes scavenging. Specially when you're going after food/tools/weapons.

But no, rape isn't about sex. Whenever I speak of sex, I'm talking about sex. The two things have as much in common as a sensual massage and a savage beating with a golf club.

Debbie
11-14-2010, 03:11 AM
I hear you Sydneyd. If i recall correctly, Rick - in the show, stated that there is no crime anymore or something to that degree. That is why i said 'act and not 'crime'.

Yes, I did look at his post from the other side of the spectrum. But - there's always one of those - Zoombie posted w/'pleasure', no pun intended, and I believe rape is not pleasurable for all parties concerned.
Don't want this thread locked either, Sydneyd.

That said... Holy Crap I can't wait till tomorrow night!!

Here's yet another conflict....Steelers/Pats or The Walking Dead.
*I need a DVR*

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:13 AM
I wonder if they will put out a box set of DVD's when the season is over?

Debbie
11-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I wonder if they will put out a box set of DVD's when the season is over?

Let's get thru the next episode first. :D

Sydneyd
11-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Debbie maybe you should set the walkers on the steelers/pats teams, and whoever comes out alive...that is who you watch?

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Let's get thru the next episode first. :D

:evil

Debbie
11-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Debbie maybe you should set the walkers on the steelers/pats teams, and whoever comes out alive...that is who you watch?

Lmao!

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Fail to see how pleasure equals the low-life act of rape, nor is there any humor in the smilie you provided.

I strongly urge you to have a well thought out response, Josef. Or, at the very least, refrain from announcing everything that pops into that brain of yours.
There's no need to be blantantly offensive, bc the ppl here, hear your voice better w/out it.

Strong misconception of what I was getting at, partly my blame from the short and non-sturdy response, but I could have elaborated afterward I suppose. Sydneyd understood what I was saying however.

Ok no one attack me, but I think what Josef was referring to was the "grabbing whatever pleasure you can" part of the statement. One way of looking at that part of the statement is that because the world is ending, there are no laws anymore, why dont you just go out and do what you want? (like go out and rape someone ((again please dont attack me)) or maybe loot a unicorn necklace from a jewlery store) Granted the idea that a rapist gains pleasure from the act is debatable (on a different forum, not here, I dont want it to get locked!) but either way...zombies huh?

You understood exactly what I was getting at. It was a response to "grabbing whatever pleasure you can." As much as we'd like to think people would be as good as Shane and Lori in their relations, we see all the time people taking advantage of others in powerstruggles and survival situations. Some people have less resolve than others, and end up resorting to animalistic actions, like rape. Even in the normal days like today, it still happens because individuals don't have a grasp on civil morality. Take away civilization from everyone, and we'll see an increase in lawlessness. As we see in many zombie novels, and perhaps eventually the Walking Dead, people aren't just going to be concerned with zombies, but other people as well. Humans struggle to thrive in whatever indulgence they want, evil or good. A prophet will lead his followers to greatness in his mind, while a villian will take others down for his gain in whatever way he can achieve. People crave different things. Some fame, some power, and some sex.

What do I mean by all this? Well, if you thought Shane and Lori were bad, there's worse. And If you think they are good in their judgement, then you're essentially saying rape isn't bad nor good, in my opinion. It would be a matter of Devil's Advocate, but I'd rather not play onwards inside of this thread about it and just answer any quotes that correspond to my presence and be done with it.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Kinda.

But no, rape isn't about sex. Whenever I speak of sex, I'm talking about sex. The two things have as much in common as a sensual massage and a savage beating with a golf club.

Sometimes you're right. A lot of times, all a rapist can think about is "sex", it's the reason he does what he does unless he gets off on misery of the victim as well. Many do, of course, but most just want the feel and pleasure of sex, and to live out sick and twisted fantasies. In AP Psychology class, we had to analyze the thought patterns of these types of people, and there's a slight difference between Desperate Dave and Ted Bundy.

I hear you Sydneyd. If i recall correctly, Rick - in the show, stated that there is no crime anymore or something to that degree. That is why i said 'act and not 'crime'.

Yes, I did look at his post from the other side of the spectrum. But - there's always one of those - Zoombie posted w/'pleasure', no pun intended, and I believe rape is not pleasurable for all parties concerned.

Now, we've got this topic addressed. I too think it's enough, and I've weighed in.

We should move on now.

Does anyone thing that Rick Grimes will be using his Colt Python again? I remember he did something with it after he picked up the soldiers Beretta, but I'm not sure if he'll be doing anything else afterward with the Python. Will he move on to something else, or does he still have it?

Debbie
11-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Does anyone thing that Rick Grimes will be using his Colt Python again? I remember he did something with it after he picked up the soldiers Beretta, but I'm not sure if he'll be doing anything else afterward with the Python. Will he move on to something else, or does he still have it?

Ve vill see tomorro, ya?!!

*Gotta brush up on my firearms. Right now a Beretta is a pistol (got that), Python is a snake or pipes for a Harley*

Manuel Royal
11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
What do I mean by all this? Well, if you thought Shane and Lori were bad, there's worse. And If you think they are good in their judgement, then you're essentially saying rape isn't bad nor good, in my opinion.That makes no sense.

We should move on now.That makes sense.

Well, a big shiny revolver is fine for a rural Kentucky deputy, but that M9 is probably more practical for their present situation; 15-round clip, and the ammunition is probably easier to find than .357 slugs.

They haven't made Pythons in about ten years, and I noticed the other deputies were equipped with semi-automatics (Rick had to remind their slowest-witted deputy to make sure he had a round in the chamber and the safety off). I'd guess that Rick opted to hold onto his revolver when offered a new piece; it's certainly a reliable, powerful and accurate weapon. (Damn noisy if you fire it inside a tank, though.)

I don't like guns myself, but if I were one of the survivors, I'd try never again to be without at least two guns, plus a hand-to-hand weapon. (Close at hand I've got swords, a machete, an axe, a 6-pound sledge and a large prybar.)

Lyra Jean
11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I thought we were already seeing people do what they want as far as abiding the law goes.

1. Shane and Lori - They obviously think their relationship is wrong or they wouldn't be hiding it from the other adults in their group.

2. The blonde woman picking up the necklace for her younger sister. Technically, it's stealing but hey we're in an apocalyptic world.

3. The white beating up on the black guy and threatening to basically beat the crap out of everyone else and possibly threatening rape on the white woman. Why? Because there is no authority anymore. Even though he's a bad guy I still hope he miraclously (sp?) escapes and makes it back to the group because no deserves to be eaten alive by zombies.

caromora
11-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how Laurie and Shane's relationship can be equated to rape in any way. They are two consenting adults who are, as far as they know, unattached. They think Rick is dead, so it's not as though they're knowingly committing adultery. I just don't get it. Is there some kind of etiquette I don't know about that deals in how long you wait to have sex with someone after your spouse dies in the midst of a zombie apocalypse?

Even if they were cheating, that's not even in the same moral galaxy as rape.

ETA: They definitely seem to feel guilty about the relationship (thus the taking off of the wedding ring before they could have sex). My interpretation was that they were more concerned with hiding the relationship from Carl than the other adults, though. Understandable, considering how confusing the whole situation would be for him.

Anyway. I really like that the show isn't sticking like glue to the original comic. I can't wait for tomorrow's ep.

Lyra Jean
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm psyched that I get to watch it real time tomorrow instead of ONDemand on Monday. Cause I'm not working. WooHoo!

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Laurie and Shane's relationship can be equated to rape in any way. They are two consenting adults who are, as far as they know, unattached. They think Rick is dead, so it's not as though they're knowingly committing adultery. I just don't get it. Is there some kind of etiquette I don't know about that deals in how long you wait to have sex with someone after your spouse dies in the midst of a zombie apocalypse?

Even if they were cheating, that's not even in the same moral galaxy as rape.

ETA: They definitely seem to feel guilty about the relationship (thus the taking off of the wedding ring before they could have sex). My interpretation was that they were more concerned with hiding the relationship from Carl than the other adults, though. Understandable, considering how confusing the whole situation would be for him.

Anyway. I really like that the show isn't sticking like glue to the original comic. I can't wait for tomorrow's ep.

Agreed.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 01:11 AM
They haven't made Pythons in about ten years, and I noticed the other deputies were equipped with semi-automatics (Rick had to remind their slowest-witted deputy to make sure he had a round in the chamber and the safety off). I'd guess that Rick opted to hold onto his revolver when offered a new piece; it's certainly a reliable, powerful and accurate weapon. (Damn noisy if you fire it inside a tank, though.)

I don't like guns myself, but if I were one of the survivors, I'd try never again to be without at least two guns, plus a hand-to-hand weapon. (Close at hand I've got swords, a machete, an axe, a 6-pound sledge and a large prybar.)

Actually, even in rural departments, very few officers shoot revolvers anymore, and I say this to my own heart's cracking because I ADORE revolvers. And I'd suppose there must be some reason they haven't made pythons in ten years... They seem to be a good pop-culture icon.

It seems to me like they will just be running through weapons in the series; use one and find another. They will probably be emptying around 30 a season at the rate they are going.

Sydneyd
11-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Personally I am looking forward to something creative...like the zombie piano smashing from zombieland. Or maybe part of me is craving humor. I know I know, not much room for humor when someone is trying to eat you...

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Personally I am looking forward to something creative...like the zombie piano smashing from zombieland. Or maybe part of me is craving humor. I know I know, not much room for humor when someone is trying to eat you...

Zombie Pinata!!!

Sydneyd
11-15-2010, 03:46 AM
ewwwww I wouldnt want that candy

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 04:16 AM
ewwwww I wouldnt want that candy

I'd rub it all over myself and skip all around all the zombies, just like episode 2 ;)

I pray to god for clear skys though...

Sydneyd
11-15-2010, 04:41 AM
You are not well. :P

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 06:22 AM
You are not well. :P

Didn't you see the second episode?
http://s1.daemonstv.com/tv/up/2010/10/walking-dead-s1e2-guts-09-550x366.jpg

He smuthered himself in zombie guts so he could move around like one of the 'walkers' and it worked till' it rained.

Now imagine what you could do!

You could go to the store, pick up a DVD, say hi to the clerk, Zombie Joe, wink at Zombie Moe, and tell that Zombie hoe to back off your friend because she/he isn't wanted.

Manuel Royal
11-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Anyway. I really like that the show isn't sticking like glue to the original comic.I definitely agree with that.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I've got to say, Episode 3 was fine, but I had been hoping that they wouldn't have given that guy the hacksaw so easy...

As for Shane, well, I don't think Lori is that much of a whore compared to him. He did something even worse... He lied to Lori and said that Rick was dead, then he got pissed about it when he was confronted and took his anger out on a fat man.

BarbaraSheridan
11-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I've got to say, Episode 3 was fine, but I had been hoping that they wouldn't have given that guy the hacksaw so easy...

But they added a bit of "eewwwww" to that, so I'll excuse it. ;)

As for Shane, well, I don't think Lori is that much of a whore compared to him. He did something even worse... He lied to Lori and said that Rick was dead, then he got pissed about it when he was confronted and took his anger out on a fat man.

But that guy deserved it. I'm surprised those women didn't really gang up and give him what for. I'd have bashed him with the washboard and told him he'd be getting two bruises to every one he put on the missus.

Josef VonQuestenberg
11-15-2010, 08:19 AM

But that guy deserved it. I'm surprised those women didn't really gang up and give him what for. I'd have bashed him with the washboard and told him he'd be getting two bruises to every one he put on the missus.

I'd have thrown him on the hood of that Charger "DeathProof" style and driven back into Atlanta... Which reminds me; why on earth did they drive the vehicle up the train tracks at the end... Why not just drive up the opposite side of the highway? The asian guy drove out that way just fine, and Rick rode in on the horse just fine...

Manuel Royal
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd have thrown him on the hood of that Charger "DeathProof" style and driven back into Atlanta... Which reminds me; why on earth did they drive the vehicle up the train tracks at the end... Why not just drive up the opposite side of the highway? The asian guy drove out that way just fine, and Rick rode in on the horse just fine...
It didn't work out so well when Rick rode Ol' Tasty in. Atlanta has freight lines running through it; might provide a more zombie-free lane of access.

I've been trying to figure out exactly where the camp is. Looks very familiar, like I've been there. West of Downtown, I'd say, from the glimpses of identifiable buildings I saw. And a quarry. Shouldn't be hard to pin down (although the distance is tricky, if they use even a little telephoto).

seun
11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Saw episode two last night. Still wouldn't call it overly impressive but it is entertaining.

This may have been brought up already in the last few pages (I'm trying to avoid spoilers for ep 3) but the 'smelling the living' deal from ep 2...wouldn't that suggest the zombies are breathing? In any case, I laughed like a knob during the chopping up the body scene.

Bmwhtly
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I wonder if they will put out a box set of DVD's when the season is over?I should think so. (http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Season-One/dp/B0049P1VHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1289825868&sr=1-1)

<Pic>it IS Andrew Lincoln from Teachers. Preposterous!
Since when did he make from the move from fluffy everyday comedy to blood-spurting, brain-slurping, tendon-ripping, bone-munching action/adventure/horror/drama?

brainstorm77
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I was checking Amazon.ca, they had yet to list anything.

Bmwhtly
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I was checking Amazon.ca, they had yet to list anything.Odd. Amazon.co.uk have it up, and we hardly ever get anything first.

seun
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Odd. Amazon.co.uk have it up, and we hardly ever get anything first.

And it's already got 5 five star reviews...despite the fact that only two episodes have been on TV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004ASOQ6M/ref=sr_tr_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&qid=1289830180&sr=1-1

Bmwhtly
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
And it's already got 5 five star reviews...despite the fact that only two episodes have been on TV. Those reviewers obviously aren't taking into account the plans to incorporate a lump of putrefying flesh into the packaging.

Satori1977
11-15-2010, 06:39 PM

I actually did feel a little bad for Lori. Did Shane assume he was dead, or was he lying just to get into her pants. That is pretty low if he did that.

And yep, a**hole deserved it, and more.

I was expecting Andrea to deck him actually. When he first started shooting his mouth off, I got pretty angry at his neanderthal behavior. But when he threateded his wife, and all of them really, I would have lost it. I am glad Shane was there, but it would serve him right to be beaten up by some women.

Oh, and are there only 3 more eps left? Seriously?? What kind of a lame season is 6 eps?

brainstorm77
11-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Odd. Amazon.co.uk have it up, and we hardly ever get anything first.

The last I checked was a couple days ago. It very well might be up now.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
This seemed like a very talky episode to me--with the exception of the repeated fists to a man's head (a man who would in all likelihood die or be seriously brain-damaged in the RW but probably won't be here--which I've already complained about in the Supernatural thread, so that's all I'll say about it--grrr). And the reunion between Rick and Lori was just weird. I would think there would be more disbelief and tears. He seemed to react alright but I didn't believe her reaction--even taking into account the secret.

Also, I had a real hard time thinking that the stealthy young guy would be so stupid as to drive a car with a blaring alarm into their camp. Didn't he just use the alarm to attract a bunch of walkers in town? And why have they been camped there and not constructed any sort of perimeter? Jeez.

On the plus side, there was some gratuitous shirtless Andy Lincoln, gotta love that...Even if they are trying too hard to make him look like a young handsome Viggo Mortenssen. And is this a series or just a reunion of actors from The Mist? I hope Thomas Jane shows up soon!

And speaking of Supernatural, it was kinda neat seeing the guy who played the skinwalker on Friday's SN ep play the mechanic tonight.

Debbie
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Missed it.
It was on 3x's last night and missed 'em all!

After I watch it....I'll Be Back.

*yw for the warning*

brainstorm77
11-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I just watched episode three. It was ok.

Manuel Royal
11-16-2010, 04:00 AM
This may have been brought up already in the last few pages (I'm trying to avoid spoilers for ep 3) but the 'smelling the living' deal from ep 2...wouldn't that suggest the zombies are breathing? In any case, I laughed like a knob during the chopping up the body scene.Yeah, I always thought the idea of the zombies having what appears to be a more rather than less acute sense of smell than when they were living was stupid. It's straight from the comic, though.

Debbie
11-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I just watched episode three. It was ok.

Really? Bummer.
Like the game :(

BarbaraSheridan
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Oh, and are there only 3 more eps left? Seriously?? What kind of a lame season is 6 eps?

I'm not familiar with the comic but maybe these 6 follow that and then they'll veer off for more if the show is popular? The way they keep advertising the contest for the "stagger on" part I'm guessing they have a Season 2 in the works.That parking on the train tracks bugged me, too. I call obvious foreshadowing of getting stuck in Ep 4.

Bmwhtly
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Apparently series 2 was comissioned after the second episode aired.

seun
11-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I also liked the dry roads after the rain in ep 2. I think I saw one very small puddle.

Lyra Jean
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm not familiar with the comic but maybe these 6 follow that and then they'll veer off for more if the show is popular? The way they keep advertising the contest for the "stagger on" part I'm guessing they have a Season 2 in the works.That parking on the train tracks bugged me, too. I call obvious foreshadowing of getting stuck in Ep 4.

Not to mention they left the back of the truck open. That's just asking for a zombie to crawl in waiting for you when you'll probably be running for your life and jump into the truck thinking you are safe.

brainstorm77
11-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Really? Bummer.
Like the game :(

I just found this one to be dull.

Debbie
11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I just found this one to be dull.

A 6 episode season, hopefully they'll amp it up a bit on the remaining few.

brainstorm77
11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah.

Bmwhtly
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
^worst page-break ever!

brainstorm77
11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
^Agrees.

Grrarrgh
11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
So they left Merle up there on the roof to get eaten by zombies. He thinks he's about to get attacked, manages to get ahold of the hacksaw and.... Does he cut through the handcuff chain? Nope. Cut through the pipe he's attached to? Nope. He decides that the best option is to cut off his hand. His own hand. Not the handcuffs, not the pipe. His hand. Really? Really??? Come on.

Satori1977
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
So they left Merle up there on the roof to get eaten by zombies. He thinks he's about to get attacked, manages to get ahold of the hacksaw and.... Does he cut through the handcuff chain? Nope. Cut through the pipe he's attached to? Nope. He decides that the best option is to cut off his hand. His own hand. Not the handcuffs, not the pipe. His hand. Really? Really??? Come on.

I was confused too, so I asked my husband, "Woudn't that hacksaw have cut through the handcuffs?" And he told me probaby, but it wouldn't have been as gross.

I am going to chalk it up to him being dehydrated and deusional from being out in the elements for a couple of days with no food and water. He clearly wasn't thinking straight.

Bmwhtly
11-18-2010, 06:22 PM
There is a line in the original Mad Max that it would take, if I recall, 20 minutes to cut through the high-tensile steel that handcuffs are made of. But, if you're lucky, you could cut through your wrist in 10.

Is there a time-factor?

Grrarrgh
11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
There is a line in the original Mad Max that it would take, if I recall, 20 minutes to cut through the high-tensile steel that handcuffs are made of. But, if you're lucky, you could cut through your wrist in 10.

Is there a time-factor?

The zombies couldn't get through the chains on the door, so he was never in any immediate danger. I'm sure he was panicking, but I have a really hard time believing that someone not in immediate danger would start hacking through their own wrist with a saw without even trying an alternative.
I would also think that if you're in a zombie attack, 20 minutes vs. 10 minutes is half a dozen of one, six of the other. You're either about to be eaten, or you're not. You have time to hack through something or you don't.

BarbaraSheridan
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
The zombies couldn't get through the chains on the door, so he was never in any immediate danger.

But he didn't know that, plus as was mentioned he was a bit crazy from dehydration etc. But yeah, totally brainless move. Can you imagine what he was thinking? Yeah I'm free! Oh cr@p. bleeding to death...

Sydneyd
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I was confused too, so I asked my husband, "Woudn't that hacksaw have cut through the handcuffs?" And he tod me probaby, but it wouldnt have been as gross.

I am going to chalk it up to him being dehydrated and deusional from being out in the elements for a couple of days with no food and water. He clearly wasn't thinking straight.

Now that you bring it up I understand the whole five minutes in the beginning now. I think they were trying to clearly establish that he was losing it. However, wouldn't there be more blood? And if he did cut it off, and the zombies sense humans by smell, wouldn't the smell of freshly spewing blood put them in to an even bigger frenzy? (I'm wondering why the mob of zombies wasnt there when the rescue team arrived.)

I hope since there are only three more episodes left they really crank up the happenings.

Manuel Royal
11-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Handcuffs are hardened steel, hard to get through -- but he was cuffed to a half-inch rod. Piece of cake. So, no, it makes no sense.

A bigger question -- where the hell did Merle go? The door to the roof was still chained and locked from the inside.

Note: the Dixon brothers are original to the tv show -- not in the comics.

(And there's nothing wrong with being redneck -- but do you have to name your kids Merle and Darryl?)

Grrarrgh
11-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Now that you bring it up I understand the whole five minutes in the beginning now. I think they were trying to clearly establish that he was losing it. However, wouldn't there be more blood? And if he did cut it off, and the zombies sense humans by smell, wouldn't the smell of freshly spewing blood put them in to an even bigger frenzy? (I'm wondering why the mob of zombies wasnt there when the rescue team arrived.)

I questioned where all the zombies by the door had gone, too. My best guess is that wherever Merle went, they smelled his blood and followed him. Which is even more reason to hack through the pipe instead of your own wrist.

A bigger question -- where the hell did Merle go? The door to the roof was still chained and locked from the inside.

This, however, I couldn't tell. I highly doubt he jumped off of the building, and there couldn't have been another door back into the building, or the zombies would have been attacking there, too. Maybe the buildings are close enough together that he was able to jump to the next roof??? I've never spent any time in downtown Atlanta, so I don't know if that's feasible.

Noah Body
11-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Note: the Dixon brothers are original to the tv show -- not in the comics.

(And there's nothing wrong with being redneck -- but do you have to name your kids Merle and Darryl?)

And of course, it was all good and well to have white supremacists cast as hateful characters as opposed to, say, a couple of Bloods or Crips. :D

Manuel Royal
11-20-2010, 01:35 AM
And of course, it was all good and well to have white supremacists cast as hateful characters as opposed to, say, a couple of Bloods or Crips. :DThere are a lot more racist white crackers in rural Georgia than there are Bloods or Crips. (Even though Merle was encountered in Atlanta, I'm pretty sure he and his brother are rural rednecks; and really, you don't have to drive far from the city to feel like you've gone back in time, at least once you get off the interstate.)

For gangs in Atlanta, I think there may be more Latino or Asian members than black. (Though presumably the drug traffic in College Park, East Point and around there is controlled by black gangs.)

Noah Body
11-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Maybe so, I just feel that in this circumstance, the producers elected to make a "safe" choice for introducing artificially-contrived conflict.

nighttimer
11-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm no fan of Robert Kirkman's writing or Tony Moore's art but I've read enough of them to wonder how faithfully the show will follow the comic book.

I enjoyed the premiere episode, but I don't think I'm going to follow the shop faithfully. I finally watched the fast zombies of the British mini-series, Dead Set and those are much more frightening than the slow-ass, shuffling undead of The Walking Dead.

By the way, you do realize "The Walking Dead" refers to the living surviors and not the undead legions, right? :drool

GVChamp
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Is there a time-factor?

Can you cut through it in ten minutes? It took Hiker-guy (http://www.wideworldmag.com/features/127-hours-in-the-life-of-aron-ralston) an hour, though he wasn't trying to cut through his wrist.

Manuel Royal
11-21-2010, 01:14 AM
I enjoyed the premiere episode, but I don't think I'm going to follow the shop faithfully. I finally watched the fast zombies of the British mini-series, Dead Set and those are much more frightening than the slow-ass, shuffling undead of The Walking Dead.Here we come to a philosophical divide that I think is based on different uses of the terms "frightening" or "scary".

Fast zombies are "scary" in the sense that a large, fierce dog attacking you is scary; this is an instinctive reaction to being attacked or chased, and has little to do with "horror" as it's used artistically. The Olympic-sprinter zombies of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake or Dead Set are menacing but not interesting. They might as well be rabid animals.

Slow zombies are frightening on a much deeper level. They carry a weight of grotesque pathos and, like a Danse Macabre, give us time to recognize ourselves in them, and to mourn the fate of blameless corpses that should be moldering peacefully but are instead compelled to lurch at the living in a horrific parody of human actions.

Debbie
11-21-2010, 01:35 AM
By the way, you do realize "The Walking Dead" refers to the living surviors and not the undead legions, right? :drool

I did not know that!
(Haven't read the comic).

Can you cut through it in ten minutes? It took Hiker-guy (http://www.wideworldmag.com/features/127-hours-in-the-life-of-aron-ralston) an hour, though he wasn't trying to cut through his wrist.

I remember reading about that guy. Think the show I Shouldn't Be Alive, did an episode on him.

GregB
11-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Maybe the mystery helicopter rescued Merle from the roof. As for where the camp is, they mentioned walkers "coming up the mountain," so maybe it's somewhere on Stone Mountain?

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1458008113014550874zZxdyc

Manuel Royal
11-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Maybe the mystery helicopter rescued Merle from the roof. As for where the camp is, they mentioned walkers "coming up the mountain," so maybe it's somewhere on Stone Mountain?

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1458008113014550874zZxdyc
Well, it can't be Stone Mountain; I can tell from glimpses of the buildings that it's to the west of downtown. Maybe northwest. And not that far -- I think it's inside the Perimeter.

In fact -- I'm thinking the camp must be at Bellwood Quarry (http://wiki.worldflicks.org/bellwood_quarry.html#coords=%2833.782376,-84.43639%29&z=16). The city of Atlanta bought it from Vulcan Materials a few years back. (Note that I'm just talking about the filming location, which may not correspond to the geography of the story.)

I'm not sure why they felt they had to create two trouble-making peckerwoods who weren't in the comic. They just seem to be slowing the story down.

Noah Body
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Not having read the comic, it does make me wonder as well. Was there not enough personal conflict in the comic? Hollywood does things that probably sound smart in meetings with the devo people, but the end results don't always prove out the benefits of Group Think.

I thought the stench attack at the end of last night's episode to be far more compelling than anything that had gone on in the previous 40 minutes.

Manuel Royal
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Not having read the comic, it does make me wonder as well. Was there not enough personal conflict in the comic?Oh, boy. Personal conflict is pretty much the default condition for the characters in the comic. When they're not bitching and whining at each other, they're shouting, accusing, theatening, or actually duking it out.

Ever since Romero's movie Night of the Living Dead, a continuing theme of zombie stories has been that the survivors are more dangerous to each other than the zombies are, and that they fail because they can't put their differences aside and support each other, or else because the collapse of law and order allow people to exercise their worst natures. In the Walking Dead comic, we're shown that over and over, and often with some pretty awkward dialogue.

It gets to where you want to tell our small group of heroes to pull their heads out and stop trying to self-destruct. It's not as if they don't have enough external threats.

Reminds me -- I've got last night's episode on tape. Better check that out.

Noah Body
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
On tape? Guy, that's so 20th Century. ;)

Plot Device
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm new to this thread. So pardon my party crashing. Here's my 2 cents:

1) I first saw the ads for this new and yet-to-be-broadcast show about 5 months ago and thought it looked WAY cool.

2) I really wanted to try and watch it, but life got in the way so it never happened.

3) I feel like I kinda cheated myself by never having seen a single episode.

4) But then ........ I found out something that kinda pissed me off. Let me explain ....

As background to my pissed-offedness, I am an avid fan of the writings of James Howard Kunstler (http://www.kunstler.com/index.php), a man most famous for his 2005 non-fiction book The Long Emergency (http://www.amazon.com/Long-Emergency-Converging-Catastrophes-Twenty-First/dp/0871138883) where he details the soon-coming reality of our experienceing a partial collapse of Western civilization due to the permanent decline of global energy availability. Then in 2008, he published a work of speculative fiction called World Made by Hand (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802144012/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0871138883&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FSTJWKP64SAYWQ5XYWH) where he shows us fictional characters living through his own vision of this bleak future, set in the decade of the 2020's. (As a side note, he was one of the book guests on The Colbert Report (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/167409/may-01-2008/james-howard-kunstler) back in 2008 when his novel was first published.) Since then he has published a sequel to that novel, called The Witch of Hebron (http://absolutewrite.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.colbertnation.com%2Fthe-colbert-report-videos%2F167409%2Fmay-01-2008%2Fjames-howard-kunstler&ei=vYjqTKK0FcP88Ab4-om5CQ&usg=AFQjCNFxSJ5WT82YX2uajTnkhm7bRFYdcA). In all he intends to have 4 books total in what is now being called the "World Made By Hand" series.

Anyway ... about a year ago, Kunstler was in talks with AMC for a TV series deal based upon the books. AMC's executives ALMOST sealed the deal. But then they decided to make "a zombie series" instead. And guess what the name of that zombie series is, guys.

So yeah, I'm a little pissed.

Meanwhile, it STILL looks like an awesome TV show. But it's been kinda ruined for me now on an entirely personal level.

Noah Body
11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow. All I can say is, someone needs a Fresca. :D

Plot Device
11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow. All I can say is, someone needs a Fresca. :D

:D

Manuel Royal
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Meanwhile, it STILL looks like an awesome TV show. But it's been kinda ruined for me now on an entirely personal level.I'm sure they'd have liked to produce both, but with limited resources they had to make a choice. In movies and tv, saying "yes" to one project always means saying "no" to others.

Kunstler's certainly an interesting guy, though I haven't read his fiction. I think his predictions are optimistic, if anything -- if, that is, we don't take preventive action.

About the show -- yep, definitely Bellwood Quarry. I knew what was coming when Amy said she had to pee; in this instance, they followed the comic closely. Not for the last time, we see what happens when people start to get a little complacent.

Noah Body
11-22-2010, 08:45 PM
And more importantly, the takeaway was to always have a good stock of toilet paper readily available.

nighttimer
11-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Here we come to a philosophical divide that I think is based on different uses of the terms "frightening" or "scary".

Fast zombies are "scary" in the sense that a large, fierce dog attacking you is scary; this is an instinctive reaction to being attacked or chased, and has little to do with "horror" as it's used artistically. The Olympic-sprinter zombies of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake or Dead Set are menacing but not interesting. They might as well be rabid animals.

That's a new one on me. I've never thought about zombies as being "interesting." They're such lousy conversationalists. They keep interrupting and trying to eat your face.

Slow zombies are frightening on a much deeper level. They carry a weight of grotesque pathos and, like a Danse Macabre, give us time to recognize ourselves in them, and to mourn the fate of blameless corpses that should be moldering peacefully but are instead compelled to lurch at the living in a horrific parody of human actions.

Slow zombies still has the disadvantage that they're only really lethal in packs. A single fast zombie can ruin your day and a gang of them and you'd better be a track star. One-on-one, if you get caught and gobbled by one that's just nature's way of telling you should have hit the gym and not that bag of Cheetos.

I get the pathetic quality of being undead through no fault of your own and that's sad, but I'm not so bummed about a zombie's hard luck that I'm gonna let one literally chew my ear off.

Manuel Royal
11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Slow zombies still has the disadvantage that they're only really lethal in packs.From an artistic standpoint, that's not a disadvantage, it's a challenge. It's a piece of cake to get cheap scares from something that attacks swiftly. Proper zombies -- slow but unrelenting, untiring, inhumanly single-minded -- provide an opportunity to create an atmosphere of oppressive, inescapable nightmare. They gather unnoticed, they shamble with purpose, and they close on you before you even know it.

Why? Because they're Death. Let's say you're a young person in good health. Death -- your death -- is like a zombie with unlaced shoes, shambling along at a snail's pace, 'way on the horizon. Nothing to worry about. Day passes upon day like the torturously slow, foot-dragging steps of zombie Death. You'll probably forget he's even there.

Oops, he's eating your face off.

So if you want fast zombies, fine, but what you get with those is an action movie. For horror, you need to wrangle some proper zombies that can barely stand up, yet close upon their victims en masse like a busload of Mississippi Baptists at a Golden Corral.

Sydneyd
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Oh my goodness. Just watched the latest episode, and while you all were talking about the scare factors of slow vs. fast zombies and the comic vs. the show, I found myself.....stressed (well at the end anyway). Seriously, I had to fast forward that part (on DVR) because I couldnt stand it. Call me a baby, call me a wuss, call me a baby wuss but I loved/hated that we got to see another zombie attack. Maybe I had been lulled into a sense of calm because of the lack of serious zombie attacks in the last few episodes. And when that guy (cant remember his name) said, I remember my dream now.....that part gave me goosebumps. I am excited for the next episode.

Manuel Royal
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I knew it was coming, but the attack was still pretty harrowing. The people in camp have been 'way too lackadaisical.

I don't think anybody'll miss Ed. I got the impression he wasn't just beating his wife, but also molesting his daughter.

Sydneyd
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I knew it was coming, but the attack was still pretty harrowing. The people in camp have been 'way too lackadaisical.

I don't think anybody'll miss Ed. I got the impression he wasn't just beating his wife, but also molesting his daughter.

Icky, me too. I'm glad that he bit it (haha other way around!) However I am a little worried about the others turning into zombies.

Noah Body
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Was Ed in the comic, or was he another plot invention?

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Was Ed in the comic, or was he another plot invention?Hm. Carol and Sophia are continuing characters for some time, but let me go check on Ed.

Nope; in the comic, Carol and Sophia are there, but Carol only talks about her husband in the past tense. My impression is that he killed himself after the zombie holocaust started. (If you're around when the zombie holocaust comes, it's entirely understandable if you commit suicide out of despair. But remember -- be responsible. Shoot yourself in the head.)

Plot Device
11-24-2010, 06:52 AM
(If you're around when the zombie holocaust comes, it's entirely understandable if you commit suicide out of despair. But remember -- be responsible. Shoot yourself in the head.)

Only YOU can prevent self-zombification!

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/images/set2/smokey-only-you.jpg

Lyra Jean
11-24-2010, 07:10 AM
My husband and I are watching this show together. We thought the whole gang taking care of the old people who were abandoned at the nursing home a little far fetched. Even with the explanation.

What decided us to keep watching the show was the zombie attack in their camp at the end. I understand that it's supposed to be more about the interpersonal relationships of the survivors than about them fighting zombies but really it's a zombie show. I wanted to see zombies.

We also thought it was weird that some of the zombies were apparently resting in the abandoned vehicles.

brainstorm77
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I didn't find the nursing home thing far fetched. The old lady was grandmother to one of the guys... and were they really a gang? I took it as they were just a bunch of guys who came together to form and pretend they were all bad ass.

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 08:33 PM
What decided us to keep watching the show was the zombie attack in their camp at the end. I understand that it's supposed to be more about the interpersonal relationships of the survivors than about them fighting zombies but really it's a zombie show. I wanted to see zombies.Oh, there'll be plenty of zombies, if they follow the general storyline of the comic.

I liked the scene at the nursing home. (Also not in the comic.) One of the themes of any post-catastrophe story like this is that, with law and order gone, people's real natures come out, for better or worse. In this case, for better: Guillermo, the custodian-turned-leader at the nursing home, says, "Everybody started looking to me. I don't know why." Rick tells him, "Because they can." (Trust me, that's 'way better than most of the dialogue in the comic.)

I wonder if they'll end the first season at the same point as the first volume of the collected comics. I'm not sure now; it's a character-driven event, and one of the characters involved is a lot more sympathetic in the show than in the comic. (Darn it, do we have some kind of spoiler tag available?)

brainstorm77
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh, there'll be plenty of zombies, if they follow the general storyline of the comic.

I liked the scene at the nursing home. (Also not in the comic.) One of the themes of any post-catastrophe story like this is that, with law and order gone, people's real natures come out, for better or worse. In this case, for better: Guillermo, the custodian-turned-leader at the nursing home, says, "Everybody started looking to me. I don't know why." Rick tells him, "Because they can." (Trust me, that's 'way better than most of the dialogue in the comic.)

I wonder if they'll end the first season at the same point as the first volume of the collected comics. I'm not sure now; it's a character-driven event, and one of the characters involved is a lot more sympathetic in the show than in the comic. (Darn it, do we have some kind of spoiler tag available?)

Just label the post as such if posting a spoiler.

WCP
11-25-2010, 01:53 AM
I like the show - though its not as good as the first episode promised. Comic is way better IMHO

Grrarrgh
11-25-2010, 04:35 AM
I like the show - though its not as good as the first episode promised. Comic is way better IMHO

I agree with this. The last 2 eps have been a little disappointing, but I'll keep watching. I'm very interested to see how they handle certain aspects of the comic. If the show gets that far. Even the end of the first volume of comics - I have to wonder if they're going to take that in the same direction in the show. Manuel is right - based on the way they're shaping the comics in the show, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Lyra Jean
11-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Part of me really liked the idea of the custodian and CNA staying to help with them being the unofficial leaders. I think some of the other guys were in a gang but they had relatives in the nursing home.

Another part of me thought it was a convenient way to avoid a firefight.

Manuel Royal
11-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Another part of me thought it was a convenient way to avoid a firefight.I can't blame them for doing that, though. There's plenty of interpersonal conflict -- and if they do follow the main storyline, there's going to be more than enough depiction of the worst of humanity. It was nice to show the other side -- that some people react to disaster heroically, unselfishly. Also that people are complicated and first impressions are often wrong.

Manuel Royal
11-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Here's one thing I hope they change from the comics -- it'd be nice if people use maps. In the comic, they wander around like children in a fairy-tale land, always suprised when they stumble upon something useful -- often something that would definitely show up on one of those map things. The Internet may be a thing of the past, but city maps and road atlases still work.

(There's a storyline in which a bad guy seriously wants to know where a particular place is. It's a place that has to be within, say, 20 miles, and it should show up on a county or state map, which he should have available. Instead of unfolding a map from the gas station, he tries to get the information through torture.)

brainstorm77
11-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I want to see the guy with the zombie wife again.

Manuel Royal
11-26-2010, 01:24 AM
I want to see the guy with the zombie wife again.Morgan? He shows up again in the comic.

Lyra Jean
11-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I want to see the guy with the zombie wife again.

Yes they need to bring him back.

Satori1977
11-26-2010, 06:53 PM
I have been waiting for him and his son too.

Debbie
11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Everyone ready for another episode :)