The Walking Dead - AMC

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well let us all cross our rotten fingers, flick off the maggot squirming on the end, and hope AMC doesn't drop the ball with this excellent show of zombie filled mayhem!

And speaking of zombie movies, love all the old Romero movies, but one of my favorites of all time is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (85). That movie is the bomb!
I enjoyed Return of the Living Dead, but kind of wish it hadn't been made.

Why? Because it cemented, within the pop-culture mind, the idea of zombies eating brains. Realistically, that's ridiculous. You try biting through somebody's skull. Return was an absurdist parody, not a horror movie; which is fine, but it's annoying when people don't know the difference.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Looking forward to it; feel like an idiot because they filled up a whole street with zombies a block from where I live, and I never even knew about it. I could have been a zombie extra (though given the makeup, and the June heat, I might have passed out).

I hate that the people at AMC seem to be trying to kill the show.

BryanTann

BA Barracus Jr.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryantann.blogspot.com
I love this series. I think that its been very well done and you really get into the characters. I am seriously interested in knowing what happened to Michael Rooker's character.

jasonguinn789

Registered
Reaction score
I love this series. I think that its been very well done and you really get into the characters. I am seriously interested in knowing what happened to Michael Rooker's character.

Yeah that's a great point, concerning Rooker. People say he's the one who drove the truck with the zombies in it to kill the group. If so, where did he go afterwards? Why did he try and kill his own brother? I'm sure these will get answered if the show doesn't get a bullet in the head by AMC. What is their problem anyway...the show had great ratings and people loved it. My guess is the Christian conservatives are up and arms about it and they feel pressure. Who knows.

jasonguinn789

Registered
Reaction score
I hear you on that.

But RETURN had some nasty zombies in it. I mean they could talk, run, and not be killed by bullets. To me, that's much more frightening than the Romero zombie. But I know, it was a parody of the NIGHT movie, seeing as the guy who made it was part of the original team and went out and started doing his own series. Its just a shame that the later ones all sucked.

Speaking of zombies...what is everyone's favorite zombie movie?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But RETURN had some nasty zombies in it. I mean they could talk, run, and not be killed by bullets. To me, that's much more frightening than the Romero zombie.
I see what you're saying, but that doesn't frighten me because it's clearly absurd; in Return there were zombies that were basically skeletons. The Romero zombies always seemed like they might somehow be possible. And, of course, they carry a heavy load of despair and pathos.

jasonguinn said:
For me, that remains Romero's 1979 Dawn of the Dead, which as it happens I watched last night.

jasonguinn789

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Day of the Dead scared the piss out of me too. Original Dawn is great, the first half, but I feel like it lots a lot of steam in the last 30 to 45 minutes.

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
Have you read John Russo's original novelization of Return of the Living Dead? It's different than the final movie. Dan O'Bannon basically tossed John's original script, which the novel was based on (or which was based on the novel, I forget which) and did his own thing for the shooting script.

Brian

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com

28 days!

So, how does the series differ from the comics so far? I'm dying to know if Daryl Dixon's brother comes back, but I think I heard that Daryl's character wasn't in the comic.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, how does the series differ from the comics so far? I'm dying to know if Daryl Dixon's brother comes back, but I think I heard that Daryl's character wasn't in the comic.
Right; both Daryl and his troublemaking brother Merl are original to the tv show.

Also, the character of Shane is somewhat different. In the comic, he's more of a giant raging asshole for no particular reason. (Actually, that describes half the characters in the comic; they spend half their time shouting verbal abuse at each other. In general, the dialogue is a lot better on the show.)

Oh, and in the comic, he doesn't make it out of Atlanta alive; he tries to murder his friend Rick, and li'l Carl shoots him dead.

The whole sequence in the CDC building is new. (I laughed out loud when they showed the "CDC" facility; it's the Cobb Energy Center, a concert/opera hall about a half a mile from me. The CDC's buildings are all nondescript, ugly government buildings.)

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Well, technically Sandra Bullock's character wasn't a zombie.

:ROFL:

I like 28 Days, mostly watch it to see Cillian Murphy.

Fav zombie flick.
If i have to pick, Resident Evil cause red dresses rule.

BryanTann

BA Barracus Jr.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryantann.blogspot.com
Yeah that's a great point, concerning Rooker. People say he's the one who drove the truck with the zombies in it to kill the group. If so, where did he go afterwards? Why did he try and kill his own brother? I'm sure these will get answered if the show doesn't get a bullet in the head by AMC. What is their problem anyway...the show had great ratings and people loved it. My guess is the Christian conservatives are up and arms about it and they feel pressure. Who knows.

Woah, wait what did I miss? They're cancelling Walking Dead? That's stupid! If they do, hell move it to Spike. They'll do good by it. If they can have shows about ways to die and deadly warriors, then we should be able to have zombies!

As far as Return of the Living Dead goes; the idea of fast moving zombies is annoying to me. There is no way that a dead body can sprint. Its muscles would atrophy, and all of the blood would pool to their legs making it impossible to walk at a fast pace, let alone run.

However, Return scares the hell out of me. There's like zero hope for survival. They run, they can't be hurt and if you burn them you just make more because the gas rises to the atmosphere and makes more rain. Scary!

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woah, wait what did I miss? They're cancelling Walking Dead? That's stupid! If they do, hell move it to Spike. They'll do good by it. If they can have shows about ways to die and deadly warriors, then we should be able to have zombies!

As far as Return of the Living Dead goes; the idea of fast moving zombies is annoying to me. There is no way that a dead body can sprint. Its muscles would atrophy, and all of the blood would pool to their legs making it impossible to walk at a fast pace, let alone run.

However, Return scares the hell out of me. There's like zero hope for survival. They run, they can't be hurt and if you burn them you just make more because the gas rises to the atmosphere and makes more rain. Scary!

Earlier in the thread someone gives a link to the article but if you will allow me to paraphrase from my foggy memory, the AMC big wigs wanted to spend less money on the show and asked that atleast 50% of the season be performed indoors (which is cheaper) and that zombies dont always need to be seen, but can sometimes be heard only. And then one of the main creators of Walking Dead quit/was fired. I dont think it had anything to do with conservative christians cause really there are a tonna other shows on AMC that I think they would hit first.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, as noted (by me), Return of the Living Dead was an absurdist comedy. It included "zombies" that were nothing but skeletons with eyeballs.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Earlier in the thread someone gives a link to the article but if you will allow me to paraphrase from my foggy memory, the AMC big wigs wanted to spend less money on the show and asked that atleast 50% of the season be performed indoors (which is cheaper) and that zombies dont always need to be seen, but can sometimes be heard only. And then one of the main creators of Walking Dead quit/was fired. I dont think it had anything to do with conservative christians cause really there are a tonna other shows on AMC that I think they would hit first.
Right; here's the referenced article. This dickweed named Jack Stillerman is being a little tyrant. The Walking Dead is the highest-rated show that's ever been on AMC. Stillerman stated that ratings didn't matter (which would be a first in the history of television), cut the budget for the season while ordering twice as many shows, and fired Frank Darabont, the Oscar-nominated director who's been in charge of the show.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right; here's the referenced article. This dickweed named Jack Stillerman is being a little tyrant. The Walking Dead is the highest-rated show that's ever been on AMC. Stillerman stated that ratings didn't matter (which would be a first in the history of television), cut the budget for the season while ordering twice as many shows, and fired Frank Darabont, the Oscar-nominated director who's been in charge of the show.

I can't see how this will work. What I loved about the first season was the look of it. The zombies were unique and scary. I enjoyed the characters, but the visuals were what really hooked me.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bumping this venerable thread, because tomorrow (Sunday, October 16) AMC is running a marathon of Season 1, leading up to the premiere of Season 2.

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it begins on the corner of Cobb Parkway and Riverwood, two lights from my apartment. At the time, I didn't even know they were filming there.