• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

A poll of opinions on writer's block

What's your opinion of writer's block?

• I believe in writer's block and have experienced it.

Votes: 174 64.2%
  • I believe in writer's block but have never experienced it.

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • I don't believe in writer's block.

Votes: 76 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
There have been so many threads about writer's block and there'll be many more, I'm sure. Some people think there is no such thing, others say they've experienced it, some argue about the definition.

I thought I'd create a poll to give us a feel for the spread of opinions. I'm not intending that people continue the debate in this thread -- though of course they might and that's fine but there are plenty of threads that already do that -- but everyone is invited to indicate their opinion through the poll even if they don't wish to get drawn into a discussion.

I'm keeping it really simple, so just the three options.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Seven votes, looks interesting, but could all change quite easily. Thanks to all those who've voted so far.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Still only a small sample, but a 2:1 ratio for having suffered from it so far (11 votes in). Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to vote.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't voted because I haven't ever suffered from 'writer's' block, but from a creative block.

It's mainly down to not knowing what happens next, or just not knowing how to start a scene.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I've experienced it twice--and I am differentiating between completely unable to write and not being able to figure out what comes next in the story. Maybe that's called Writer's Speed Bump!

With the writer's block, I could not come up with any ideas nor could I put words on the paper. Nothing was there. The first time, it happened because I had a well-meaning individual who told me that to break into Hollywood I had to write a script a week. The scripts ranged from 30-120 pages, and I probably wrote about 40 of them. It was two years before I was able to write again.

The second one was while I was in the army. I got tagged to be the Group's newspaper reporter--a full time job in additional to my other full time military. That took only six weeks, and I remember going into the mess hall and being unable to remember my last four. I was never more glad to go to the field in my life--it broke the back on the army jerking me around.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
With the writer's block, I could not come up with any ideas nor could I put words on the paper. Nothing was there. The first time, it happened because I had a well-meaning individual who told me that to break into Hollywood I had to write a script a week. The scripts ranged from 30-120 pages, and I probably wrote about 40 of them. It was two years before I was able to write again.
Ouch!

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The first question, however, does beg the question - does it exist because one has actually experienced it - or have they just run into problems and put it down to writer's block instead of finding the real reason? That's why I voted that it doesn't exist - because I've always found that there's a real reason behind my "blocks" and there's a real solution - if I choose to take it.

JMO ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know that writer's block (or any block of creativity) exists--however I don't believe that what most people call writer's block is really writer's block.

When I hear most people say they're suffering from writer's block because they can't think of what comes next for a few hours or even a few days. To me, that's part of the creative process, when my creative backbrain is working out something and just hasn't informed my conscious mind what to write yet.

Writing block as I, and other friends of mine, have experienced lasts for months or, in one case, over a decade. It isn't just a "can't think of what to write next" to something more akin to clinical depression (and has sent more than one of us to a professional for serious therapy) and affects not just writing but the ability to function in other areas of life. It's a serious problem, even in the "milder" cases.

I voted that I believe it exists and I've experienced it, but I think my definition of it isn't the same as most people's.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Writing block as I, and other friends of mine, have experienced lasts for months or, in one case, over a decade. It isn't just a "can't think of what to write next" to something more akin to clinical depression (and has sent more than one of us to a professional for serious therapy) and affects not just writing but the ability to function in other areas of life. It's a serious problem, even in the "milder" cases.

Yeah, that to me is clinical depression - when it affects all or most areas of your life, not just writing. I wouldn't call that writer's block, either.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
It was two years before I was able to write again.

And six years before you could stand up straight again?:D

No, only kidding. That was one hell of an endeavour. As Robj said, ouch!

But yeah, I think writer's block exists, though sometimes we'll use it as a convenient get-out for something we don't want to hear: this story's rubbish.

So it's not quite a yes, no, maybe thing. It's a symptom of what's going through our heads at a particular time.

By God, I've actually posted something with depth and meaning!

Nurse....

Aldrey

Writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
As I voted up above, I believe in writer's block but have never experienced it. I have the opposite situation. I can't stop the water faucet and would write all day and night if I could. However, I have a hubby who pulls me off the computer and I do have to work a 9 to 5.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I put I believe in writers block and have experienced it though, that is not completley accurate.
I've gotten to the point in a novel where I just don't know what happens next (I tend to write on the fly with no outline) like someone mentioned above I call that a creative block. Sometimes it lasts for a few hours, a few days or hell even months, in that case I concentrate on something else. Either by writing something new, reading or stepping aside completely until the creative juices start flowing again.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the votes, everyone. About a third of the votes are from people who don't believe in it, and of those who do believe in it most have experienced it.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks to all those who've voted over the last few days. Still running at about two-thirds believers and a third non-believers, with most of the believers having experienced it. Thirty-one votes cast.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Still broadly the same split, running at around 30% not believing in it, most who do say they have experienced it. 43 votes cast. Thanks for voting.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
I voted that I do believe in writer's block and that I have experienced it because depression is the only thing that can stop me from writing, and that's the worst. When I am depressed, I don't write or do anything that I enjoy doing when I'm not depressed, for months. I think depression is one of those things that can stop you dead in your tracks, like pressing the stop button. Everything stops. For me, when I'm depressed, all I want to do is sleep. I don't even want to eat, I want to sleep, and it's funny because when I am depressed, I don't cry unless someone I love has died and that's the reason for my depression, but most of the times I get depressed for no reason at all and I just don't cry. I sleep. And sleep. And keep on sleeping, and every day I feel worse than the day before. Not fun. At all.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I voted that I do believe in writer's block and that I have experienced it because depression is the only thing that can stop me from writing, and that's the worst

But again, that's depression, not writer's block. Depression where you don't do anything, including write.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've experienced two kinds. One kind happens when I know there's a problem but can't identify it. The other is psychological and related to courage, I think.

For the first, I recommend reading about the craft. And for the other, I recommend Rachel Simon's Writer's Survival Guide, available online or in book form.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My opinion is that its not specific to writers. Everyone gets this in their field of work or art. If ya want to call it writer's block, cool, but I don't. I dont judge anyone that does as I hope no one judges me for not.

BudBoxer

All Write By Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
philcomer.blogspot.com
Perhaps writer's block results from our left and right brains fighting, when our creative vesus our analytical impulses collide. A good tool to goose the creative side is to crazy-brainstorm some point within the project. That irrationality helps shut up our hypercritical analytical mind, and occasionally we give ourselves a chuckle.

There's a time for the analytical, but that come later. It's called "editing."

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I believe in it and I have experienced it. It has usually happened when I have been on certain medications. Other times it struck when I was extremely depressed. Once I had a really nice mixed drink at about 7:00 at night (I think it was an exceptionally good mudslide) and then sat down to write. The aclohol totally killed my ability to write. There was a quiet and semi-paralizing lethargy there and I was unable to overcome it.

It's kinda like male impotence -- if you can't get it up, dammit, you can't get it up, no matter how hard you try.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in it and I have experienced it. It has usually happened when I have been on certain medications. Other times it struck when I was extremely depressed. Once I had a really nice mixed drink at about 7:00 at night (I think it was an exceptionally good mudslide) and then sat down to write. The aclohol totally killed my ability to write.

Or, instead of calling it WB, you could recognize it was the meds (possible to not take them or switch?), the depression (can't do anything), or the alcohol (don't drink). ;)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
We need an option for "I don't believe in writer's block and I have experienced it." Seriously! Plenty of us who don't believe it's a mysterious outside force have had long stretches where we felt we couldn't write. We've experienced it. We just realized the problem was internal and that the solution was to write anyway.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
We need an option for "I don't believe in writer's block and I have experienced it." Seriously! Plenty of us who don't believe it's a mysterious outside force have had long stretches where we felt we couldn't write. We've experienced it. We just realized the problem was internal and that the solution was to write anyway.

Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.