Image Dimensions for eBook Covers

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SwordOfShakespeare.com
physical book size

I'd make it the same size as if you physically printed it (which gives you that familiar feel of dead-tree text), but resolution of 72 dpi for the computer screens. JMHO

Bookmark

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookmarkselfpublishing.com
It also depends what platform you’re going to self publish on. For example, Amazon states the following cover guidelines for their kindle:

“Kindle books must have a cover image. The preferred format for the cover is a JPEG image of 600 x 800 pixels. Covers with less than 500 pixels on the smaller side are rejected. If your cover is smaller that the required size, do not stretch it as this does not add any quality.”

So, make sure you check the guidelines before you start designing.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I work off the size it would be if I was putting it up on Createspace, whether I plan to or not (I don't make paperbacks out of all of my books). That way, if I decided down the road I wanted to, I wouldn't have to redesign it. Also, the resolution on smaller images looks better if you start out with a larger image.

I do all my images in 300 dpi or higher for the best quality.

johntkooz

Registered
Reaction score
I work off the size it would be if I was putting it up on Createspace, whether I plan to or not (I don't make paperbacks out of all of my books). That way, if I decided down the road I wanted to, I wouldn't have to redesign it. Also, the resolution on smaller images looks better if you start out with a larger image.

I do all my images in 300 dpi or higher for the best quality.

hey melanie, I just wanted to say I really like your professional looking covers. I have taken a crack (millions of words) and a couple of books and want and need to earn and am eager to make a more professional book cover. Anyways, i will be usuing gimp most likely to make mine.

johnkooz.com
validateyourlife.com

You inspired me to whip up (in GIMP) a superb minimalism cover and another cover for my logic book! THANKS!