PDA

View Full Version : Resubmitting after rejection

DesertRose
10-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Has anyone had any experience with resubmitting a rejected work with e-publishers? I'm asking because I've completely redone a manuscript, changing the motivation and grammer and basically fixing everything that an editor told me was wrong with it. The small press I'm thinking of that rejected me was Phaze Publishing. Had anyone had any dealings with them?

rainsmom
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
The standard etiquette is not to re-query unless invited to requery. No means no.

However, realistically, the worst thing that could happen is that they reject you again. You certainly won't be blackballed or anything.

If you've made *major* changes, you might take a chance. If you've just cleaned it up and changed a few things, I wouldn't bother.

Jersey Chick
10-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you had any other personalized rejections on this ms? If you've rewritten the entire thing based on feedback from one editor, you might have done a whole lot of work for nothing if you resub and are rejected again, as another editor/agent might think the revised ms needs XYZ changed instead.

DesertRose
10-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for replying. I did make major changes. I asked because I "think" Loose Id accepts resubmission without invitations. I thought maybe others did too including Phaze.

Jersey Chick. I did do the changes based on what one editor told me... but she really was dead on.
I know what you mean though, because I recently had that experience where I changed a story based on what an editor told me, and it turns out that the changes were rejected, and my original work was what got me an acceptance.

Susan Littlefield
10-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Desert Rose,

I agree with Rainsmom not to re-query the one house, as no means no. However, what prevents you from sending queries out to other houses? I would go this latter route instead.

Also, I agree with Jersey Chick that it is not always wise to make changes based on one agent/publisher's opinion. Opinions will vary. Have faith that you have written a good story and don't make changes unless to editorial order (in other words you are working with the agent or publisher).

Always check out your publishers at Preditors and Editors. Here (http://pred-ed.com/pebp.htm)is the link, just scroll down the page to Phaze. There is nothing negative about them at PE. Also, I would suggest a search in the Beware forum here at AW.

Good luck!

DesertRose
10-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank You Susan. I will query other agencies. I was just curious about it. I also agree with you guys on taking the editor's advice with a grain of salt. I love how helpful you all are!

Filigree
11-08-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm in a similar fix. Last year I submitted a mms that I thought was polished, to a dream agent at a great house. She wisely shot it down, and added to the form email the comment that I might want to workshop the book a little more. That was incredibly diplomatic of her.

Now the book has gone through three beta readers. I've changed my title, half the plot, and all of the original query letter. I'd estimate the poor agent has probably seen at least 16,000 queries since she saw mine last October.

Should I submit this project to her again, under the new title and query, or accept that no means 'never again,' and send her a new project when I have it?
I'm not even sure I should mention that I took her advice on refining the mms.

Filigree

Karen Junker
11-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Filigree -- I've met agents who have nearly eidetic memories. They remember the author's name and title of the story as well as the plot and character names. Unless you have seen the agent blog that they never want to see a resub, I'd go ahead and send it with the mention that she suggested you refine the ms.

I've also known of a couple of people who signed with an agent after an intial rejection. Of course, in one case he met the agent at a writers' conference and the agent asked him to resubmit and in the other she had an offer of a contract with a publisher on the table when she called the agent back to see if she wanted to reconsider.

Filigree
11-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Karen. This particular agent will be high on my list, so I don't want to antagonize her. I don't know her resubmission policy. So I'll probably submit a fresh project to her next year just to be safe.

Filigree