• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Travel Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohung

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here wiht Travel Writing experience they would like too share? I would love hearing about the industry.
Mike

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I write in the Travel industry and would like to tell you that most magazines/websites are presently, not interested in formal, stuffy pieces on travel, but personal, down to earth pieces with a chatty tone.

They are looking for quotes from locals, description that sets the atmosphere.

You can check the following sites for submissions.They all pay from $25:

www.gonomad.com
www.goworldtravel.com
www.touristtravel.com

Good luck!

Reece

kohung

Registered
Reaction score
Thanx Reese for the links. As I have stated in other forums on this board I will be teaching English in Beijing next year. I has an idea to supplement income by writing.
My idea as far as Travel Writing is to write about different things in Beijing. Things maybe not covered in the "normal" Travel Guides. The subjects would very, but all center around Beijing. With the '08 Olympics being held in Beijing I think the timing would be perfect.
My question is does this sound like an idea that would sell to Western markets (magazines)?

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Sure! Especially given that Beijing wil be the centre of the worlds focus for the upcoming Olympics.

This site is a good one for you. It's speciality is Asia and you can focus on various aspects of Beijing such as art, photo essays, etc. They pay 10 cents per word.

www.thingsasian.com

Good luck!
Reece

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Thanks for the links... I'm partway through (2nd draft) of a account of my solo motorcycle ride most of the way across country last year. Since nothing really dramatic happened to me like being captured by rebels or being jumped by biker gangs...I'm focusing on humor (I was a total noob) and a sense of wonder at experiencing America.

I'm hoping there will be some interest in a journal-style adventure as opposed to "how-to" and "best places to see" type of books. Would that be considered a "travel" book? They all seem to be of the "how-to" category.

Mark

Last edited:

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Try Avalon Travel Publishing they accept pitches for Road Trip USA. Although, currently it says they don't need any - but keep an eye on this link for updates.

It also has guidelines on how to submit to them and what they are looking for:

http://www.travelmatters.com/acquisitions/

Reece

jstalin

Hi,
I'm in the same boat... I've just finished a travel manuscript of travel stories based on personal experiences. Anyone want to be a critique partner? email me [email protected] if interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.