The Force is With MS Word...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
... for it does not tell me Obi-wan Kenobi are misspelled words, yet my character names McDaniels, Gartrell, Rittenour, and Derwitz always appear with the nefarious red underline.

That is all.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add the names to your custom dictionary and the red lines will disappear, young Jedi.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always been a dream job--I want to decide who is famous enough, as a real human being or a character, to make it to the spell checker and who just doesn't cut it.

My version of Word is pretty old now (2003), but I discovered that it knows some US presidents and not others, which I found odd. I'd have understood if it spelled only the giants, but I remember it had Polk. Now I've forgotten who didn't make the grade.

Maryn, sure he's rolling in his grave

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas ordered the Kamino to build a clone army for the Republic, he also ordered them to design a word-processing program that could destroy the literary efforts of any opposing force. The result was KaminoSoft Word, which is identical in every way to MSWord, even in its ability to recognize Obi-wan Kenobi's name.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but apparently, neither Wookiee nor Ewok make the Word spelling list. Obviously, the Jedi (but not the plural form) are revered above all.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I can never really figure out why the squiggly lines in MS-Word (and other word-processors) irritate people so badly. I pretty much ignore 'em when I'm drafting stuff.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
I turn most of the autocorrection stuff off, being a Jedi and therefore endowed with superhuman powers of speling and grammer.

Doh! A disturbance in the Force!

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Am aware, but am either impressed or depressed that Obi-wan's moniker has penetrated even the Death Star in Redmond, WA.

Could Word maybe be recognizing 'obi' (the Japanese sash/belt) and 'wan' (having a sickly pallor) separately, because of the hyphen?

Mind you, it's also possible Microsoft did add Obi-Wan to the base dictionary. I just saw this as an alternate possibility.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
Now explain "Kenobi." No wait! Ken and obi! Or Ken's obi, from the famous novel Barbie Does Japan.

My own version of Word recognizes NOTHING. It thinks simple names like Ada are dangerous terrorist illegal alien interlopers.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed that people leave the spell checking feature on as they write. How can you stand it?

Maryn, sensitive soul

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a hardened campaigner. When Army doctors have gleefully extracted shrapnel from your belly and left a winner of a scar that totally annihilated your belly button, little red squiggles rarely cause a pause. But the lack of said squiggles under Kenobi's name is what sent me over the edge! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.