Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
So, any other folks on here bought this quality game?

I'm borderline addicted to it! It's quality, fun missions, fun combat, cool places to explore, a HUGE map and a decent storyline.

Only thing I don't like are the glitches :rant::rant::rant:

There's been no end of times where my companions have vanished between fast-travelling to towns or the game has just frozen. Kinda takes some of the enjoyment out of it. . .

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Having just finished up Draft One, I'm allowed to pick this up. Sounds like it's good if I go ahead and finish the first round of revisions beforehand though. Give them time to patch things up. :)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I gave it a rental since, at this point, I'm far too broke to buy anything but used games. (And typically ones that have been available for a year or two at that) That said, I've had a lot of fun with it thus far. My biggest gripes so far have been the glitches--my game has frozen at least three times in the few days I've played.

I also don't know whether this changes at all later, but I feel like this game is more linear. In Fallout 3 I could wander and find several sidequests to do, starting from just about anywhere I like. New Vegas seems to be encouraging me down a set path (the areas north and east of Goodsprings are dangerous).

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My son's been playing a lot of Fallout 3 and he keeps going back to it despite it freezing up every 5-30 minutes. If New Vegas only freezes up once a day, that sounds like an improvement.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Oddly I never had issues with Fallout 3 freezing. Maybe once in all my many hours of play. Of course this was the Xbox version, so that could be the difference.

karmalinguist

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is Obsidian didn't fix anything. It had this whole interface that Bethesda created for them. They designed a newer, better, more effed up world. Great.

I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas sporadically. It is an excellent game, despite its outdated Elder Scrolls Engine, but way more diverse than Fallout 3. I just wish they'd addressed the bugs while they were designing it.

It will definitely keep me company on the side while I finish my WIP. Or until Mass Effect 3 comes out. :D

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the game for my son. Now I'm confused at the installation. What exactly is "Steam" and does this mean that I have to buy some subscription so he can play the game that I already bought? Does it mean he's going to have to be online to play the dang thing, which is not an MMO? Is this going to kill our bandwidth cap? Now I'm regretting purchasing it, thinking it's akin to the extended car warantee.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone is as hardwired as you, Log.

Steam is an digital store. You buy games from Steam and download the content. You can play games online through the Steam Community, but for single-player games like Fallout: New Vegas, you don't need to be online. There are no subscription fees from Steam. Bandwidth usage is minimal, and you don't need to be online to play.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Not everyone is as hardwired as you, Log.

Steam is an digital store. You buy games from Steam and download the content. You can play games online through the Steam Community, but for single-player games like Fallout: New Vegas, you don't need to be online. There are no subscription fees from Steam. Bandwidth usage is minimal, and you don't need to be online to play.
Erm, not true afaik. Might depend on the game, but some of them you certainly need to be online for. Doesn't use much bandwidth, and you don't need to pay for your Steam account, but some games use Steam as a verification that it's really a paid for game you're playing.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Erm, not true afaik. Might depend on the game, but some of them you certainly need to be online for. Doesn't use much bandwidth, and you don't need to pay for your Steam account, but some games use Steam as a verification that it's really a paid for game you're playing.

A lot of people complain about Steam's "Play Offline" feature, but so long as the game is fully updated (not in the middle of downloading/installing a patch), it's possible to play the game offline. The only time you absolutely have to be online for Steam games is if they are multiplayer, or they have nasty "must-be-connected-to-the-net" DRM like Ubisoft uses.

AFAIK, this is not the case with New Vegas.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Another trick of the 'Play Offline' feature is that you have to tell steam to go offline at least once while still connected to the net. It downloads all your licenses to your machine. So if you're playing a new game, and your net connection goes out, and you haven't done 'Go Offline' yet, you're probably hosed until you get your connection back.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to those who helped, but the game still won't play because of Steam. He had a steam account it turns out from some other game but it won't recognize his password. He did the reconfirm, got the access code emailed to restart the account and the confirmation code they sent doesn't work.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
That's different.
Copy/Paste right?

Yep, tried it again and got a new confirmation, but haven't got around to trying it yet.

The new one worked and I was able to open/download the tribal pack that came with purchase of the game. However, I think Steam or the Devs should not use either ones or "I"'s in the unlock codes. The fonts made them look the same so it took a while.

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
A trick to that is to copy/paste it into a notepad document. I's and 1's look dquite dissimilar in Courier.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
A trick to that is to copy/paste it into a notepad document. I's and 1's look dquite dissimilar in Courier.

That makes sense for on line stuff, but this was a sticky label inside the game's box.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, hosed then. :)

So I'm up to about level ten and just finished up Novac. No spoilers but DAMN! And I can't say any more about it without giving things away.

I'm not a big fan of Caravan. It's incredibly simple. Simply stack your deck with as many 7's, 9's, and 10's as you can. You'll win about 80% of your matches, if not more. Hopefully some of the later players will make more strategic use of jacks and jokers to make the 7,9,10 deck less viable. But for now, I have an unlimited money supply.

I have no idea just how far the 'disguise' system goes. I don't know if companions need disguises or not. Nor do I know just what the rules are on using disguises I've gotten more than one Legion Death Squad to simply stop shooting by putting on a Legion uniform, only to have them gun down a nearby NCR patrol and lose me some rep. I think I might just stop using disguises unless absolutely necessary.

Also, Mister Bright is fucking insane. Nice fellow, but fucking insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.