For All of Our Skeptics...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just for our skeptics, of whatever stripe:

I honestly hope you keep up your important work, and wish you all well. I have fun with skeptics of all sorts, and believe it or not, consider myself a skeptic as well. Well, I thought it was funny...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly hope you keep up your important work, and wish you all well. I have fun with skeptics of all sorts, and believe it or not, consider myself a skeptic as well. Well, I thought it was funny...
I doubt that . . .

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference between being a skeptic and refusing to believe rational things. Skeptics refuse to believe without proof, it doesn't mean they necessarily disbelieve something because there's no proof, they just wait until the facts are in.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
If the guy on the right had a bigger tummy it could be me.

Diana, it works on so many levels.:D

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's funny too. There aren't many jokes about skeptics that are not somehow condescending, but this is one of them. :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Diana Hignutt, that is amusing. :D

I do not believe I have ever posted in this area, but I could be wrong. It smells the same in here as it does in other areas of the Cooler. Doubters do not stink and to be honest I had my doubts that they ever really did.

There is a thing I would like to know about ye who doubt. Do you like it better with a "c" or a "k"?

Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Skeptic or Sceptic? Which why do you prefer it to be spelled?

Gehanna

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
skeptic also sceptic, 1580s, "member of an ancient Greek school that doubted the possibility of real knowledge," from Fr. sceptique, from L. scepticus, from Gk. skeptikos (pl. Skeptikoi "the Skeptics"), lit. "inquiring, reflective," the name taken by the disciples of the Greek philosopher Pyrrho (c.360-c.270 B.C.E.), from skeptesthai "to reflect, look, view" (see scope (1)). The extended sense of "one with a doubting attitude" first recorded 1610s. The sk- spelling is an early 17c. Greek revival and is preferred in U.S.
Skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found. [Miguel de Unamuno, "Essays and Soliloquies," 1924]​
I think "Skeptikos" sounds cool, like a ruminative throat-lozenge:
When it sticks in your craw: Skeptikos.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Septic, craw, and counterparts. Shall we investigate?

Gehanna

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's funny too. There aren't many jokes about skeptics that are not somehow condescending, but this is one of them. :)

My favourite is Kurt Vonnegut's eulogy to Isaac Asimov, his predecessor as president of the American Humanist Association:

Isaac is in heaven now

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
A cartoon by someone who gets it, yet finds the ridiculousness in it as well. Cute! Thanks, Diana.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Skeptic or Sceptic? Which why do you prefer it to be spelled?

"Skeptic" is American; "sceptic" is British.

And your basic American will pronounce "sceptic" as "septic", and envision one of those little tank trucks running around sucking shit out of the ground in people's yards.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and over here, "septic" is rhyming slang for "American". Because "Yank" ~ "septic tank". I haven't heard it in a long time, though.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
...and over here, "septic" is rhyming slang for "American". Because "Yank" ~ "septic tank". I haven't heard it in a long time, though.

I still use it.