Yiddish girl's name (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi --

I am trying to come up with a Yiddish -- NOT Hebrew -- name for a girl.

I've found the names "Hanella" and "Hananel" online, and while I like both of them, I am not 100 percent sure that they're feminine names. Nor do I have any idea what they mean.

Does anybody out there know anything about these two names? Or have any alternatives to suggest?

Thanks!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Hi --

I am trying to come up with a Yiddish -- NOT Hebrew -- name for a girl.

I've found the names "Hanella" and "Hananel" online, and while I like both of them, I am not 100 percent sure that they're feminine names. Nor do I have any idea what they mean.

Does anybody out there know anything about these two names? Or have any alternatives to suggest?

Thanks!

Those are diminutives for Hannah.

How about: Rivka, Malka, Rochel, Fayge

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
Those are diminutives for Hannah.

How about: Rivka, Malka, Rochel, Fayge

Thanks for your input. There appears to be many Yiddish variations of Hannah -- right now, "Heneh" and "Hendel" are the top contenders.

As for "Fayge" -- bird -- I wouldn't dare! You know what it's slang for, no? Usually as "Faygela" (sp?) ...

HZW

Registered
Reaction score
Yiddish girls' names

How about Henna or Hensha (Henshie)? Hudel (pronounced Huddle like in football)?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
HZW said:
How about Henna or Hensha (Henshie)? Hudel (pronounced Huddle like in football)?

I like Henna -- although I prefer the "Heneh" spelling (since it reads the same, frontwards and backwards).

Hudel? I have never heard of that one. Do you know what it means? Is it another derivitive of Hannah? It has a nice ring to it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.