Goodreads - if you don't have anything nice to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Question of the day:

I just joined Goodreads. Since my manuscript is on submission and, in working with AuthorScoop, I've got lots of editor and publicist-type people on my contacts list, I feel a bit inhibited to add books that I didn't like to my lists.

Am I being silly?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
writing is an art form, of which art is highly subjective. Many love Twilight while some call it the death of literature. Don't worry, those authors that would take it to heart that you didn't like their book are few and far between. What should matter is that you READ that book.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of those things you should make a decision on now, before you get further into the business, and whatever you decide, just be consistent. The topic comes up quite a bit among authors about whether or not they should review books on blogs.

Some do, because they like to do reviews, but they do it knowing they might make some people unhappy who they will end up sitting next to at conferences and book signings. I've never been interested in reviewing books, so I use Goodreads a little differently. I'll put up the books I'm reading on the currently reading list, but if I don't feel able to give them five stars by the time I'm finished, I just delete them (I delete a lot of books!). That's just me, and how I've decided to handle it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... something else I'm not in the loop about. Never heard of 'Goodreads.'

Yes, I live on an desert island, so you'd think :-(

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I think integrity is more important than pleasing others. Just be honest. Professional editors and authors will appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

JJ

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Tread carefully. Some of those books might be written by clients, and editors/agents only deal with books they themselves love. Further when blurb time rolls around fellow authors whom you have dissed in the past might not be so keen to blurb you. Possibly it makes sense to review books that are outside the genre you are writing.

I know JJ says editors and authors will appreciate the feedback but you just never know. It's a small community and people move from house to house, be careful of burning bridges. If you don't care, you don't care. And that's fine. But you seem antsy about it, and for that reason I say, be cautious.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind differences of opinion - heck, I expect to have differences of opinion with people I like, respect and admire. If we always agree, I have to suspect their sincerity at some point.

I agree with Amarie - being consistent in your approach is essential. And the easiest way to do that is to be (a) yourself and (b) professional.

If I were one of those connections, it isn't just your favour I'd be interested in. I'd really want insight into your thought processes, your viewpoints, the consideration you put into your reviews, and how well you expressed them. ("This sucks", I'm afraid, would be no help to me at all, and I might not come back for you opinions on other books.)

My poetry colleague Dichroic has a Jane Austen quote in her sigline: She paid him the compliment of rational opposition. While I may have had my fill of Austen novels and miniseries, that's a magnificent line, and it really hits the nail on the head.

You're in a world I don't know, what with editors and agents, but I've seen you argue eloquently and tactfully. And I've seen you give a delicate compliment that leaves the criticism unstated, but nicely implied. You're good at this, and you're insightful. You can trust you.

I'd say: be candid, but be professional, specific and tactful.

Last edited:

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you uncomfortable, you probably shouldn't do it. I'm mostly using Goodreads for fun and the contests.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Mr. Inahat, you're very kind. You can write my obituary any day. :)

I tend not to bother writing reviews of books I don't like, so I guess it might not be all that brave just to short-star a book, as long as I don't pummel it.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess for me the question is, is it a passion of yours to review books that you'd really feel like you weren't being true to yourself if you stopped? If so, then continue in a professional manner. But if not, I just don't think it's worth the risk. People can be a bit . . . weird . . . about their passions. And can take disses of their passions oddly personally. Even if they should know better.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you, but you know I'm not being kind.

If you didn't like my book, then, the question is which would be most likely to preserve or foster our good relationship?
  1. low star rating, no comment
  2. low star rating, "I thought it sucked"
  3. low star rating, cogent couple of sentences
  4. not adding to list (do I wonder, "has she read my book?")
For me, probably 3 or 4. Definitely not 2.
I'm nodding in agreement with both JJ and Toothpaste -- which, since they're not agreeing, tells me that I value the quality of the argument more than the position itself.

Crap. Absolutely no help!

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I guess for me the question is, is it a passion of yours to review books
No, mostly I hate writing reviews. Nowadays, I only write a review when I really love something.

I like the Goodreads star system. That seems to satisfy the ghost OCD in me.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'd hate to meet an author so petty that s/he carries a grudge for a bad review. Yes, I know there are many such authors out there. They wind up being snarked and laughed at a lot.

I'm sure one-star reviews sting, but seriously, how many of you would think, when sitting next to someone at a con, "Oh, this is that asshole who criticized my book! I can't wait until I get a chance to return the favor!"

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's much fun going through the 'best books' list. I'm remembering reading so many books that I've given away.

I also realize I've seen a hell of a lot of movies.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'd hate to meet an author so petty that s/he carries a grudge for a bad review. Yes, I know there are many such authors out there. They wind up being snarked and laughed at a lot.

Actually, no, not all of them are. You'd be surprised to learn how petty some pretty popular authors out there can be, some of whom if they blurbed your work could be extremely helpful in sales.

It's definitely a decision to be made, to stand up for your own reviewing principles and the very reasonable view that people ought not carry a grudge, or maybe realise that life isn't fair, easy or reasonable, and that if you can avoid burning bridges, then it might be wise to do so.

I'm not saying everyone should just shut up, but I am saying that you have to pick your battles, and if this is one you want to fight, go ahead. But it comes with its risks.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've wanted to write a few reviews but is there any money in it? Reminds me I should be trying to write a publishable manuscript.

It's just dawned on me I could write a lot of, uh, "Singularity" reviews. Many such books are very good, but James Glieck's "Faster" - I've very much enjoyed earlier books "Chaos" and "Genius," but this one - it's great a page at a time, he writes about interesting, geeky things (remember the Armitron tuning fork watch, or at least the ads for it?), how we all got new cellphones and other gadgets and how technologically life is changing at an accelerating pace ... but overall, it's just a collection of observiations - he doesn't actually SAY anything. C'mon, dude, I WANTED to really like this book - it would have been better if you'd have somehow stuck your neck out, maybe made some forward-thinking predictions, even if they turned out to be flat-out wrong...

Okay, I had that one in me for a few years now (he might have even predicted something in the book, but if so it was so lame I forgot), maybe I should copy/paste over on Amazon...

Ben, aspiring singularity (among other things) writer.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Question of the day:

I just joined Goodreads. Since my manuscript is on submission and, in working with AuthorScoop, I've got lots of editor and publicist-type people on my contacts list, I feel a bit inhibited to add books that I didn't like to my lists.

Am I being silly?

My novel's on there. Feel free to ignore it.:D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I prefer to burn bridges where possible. But then, we've established my personality is less than ideal, to say the least.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Question of the day:

Am I being silly?

yes.

although, i am more inclined to ONLY add the ones i did like. i think i added one that i absolutely hated and didn't finish...just so that i could give it the lowest rating. but i didn't review it or anything. i just felt absolutely ripped off about having bought it. it was terrible.

i don't think we have to publicly bash the books we didn't like...but i don't feel bad or unprofessional giving them a low rating.

btw...you sent me a link and it didn't work. i'll log into goodreads and find you...sometime today.

K

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I have to side with Toothpaste on this one. You're not looking at pacifying authors -- you're looking at a potential relationship with editors or agents. It's up to you how strongly you feel about Goodreads, but you need to stick to your guns.

Let's say your agent had a goodreads account (I've seen agents that do) and they five-starred and LOVED/GUSHED over things you hate and think are stupid. And things that you think are comparable to your book get eviscerated. Plotlines that will show up in your sequel are said to be "SO STUPID" by the agent. Would you be concerned? Would you start worrying about your taste meshing with hers?

Don't you think this table can be flipped?

My goodreads ratings are almost universally cheerfully positive, but I also decided long ago that I'd only rate things that I finish, and I only finish things I enjoy. The books I end up hating never get mentioned because I don't finish them. It's what I'm comfortable with, and I put a disclaimer on my author profile. People can see my reviews as useless if they choose, but it's how I've decided I'm going to run my account.

You have to decide how you're going to run yours. :)

PS - The first agent I ever got a call from, he said to me, "You're the Jill Myles that reviews on Amazon?" I was shocked, but sure enough, it was the first thing that pulled up when you googled my name. So I went on Amazon, and all my reviews were one star. Erm. I deleted them. ;) That was not the side I wanted to present to agents/editors. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.