Are you a snob?

ChronicSelfEditor

F.K.A. NolaBlue
Registered
Reaction score
I recently discovered that two of my friends are snobs about certain things which rather surprised me because they are otherwise laid back and friendly women.

One friend is an civil design engineer and believes the word engineer should apply only to people in her line of work (in addition to mechanical and electrical engineers, etc.) and not folks who drive trains nor people who are called network engineers.

The other friend is what I've decided to call a Sherlock Holmes snob. She'd probably call herself a purist, but for the sake of this thread, she's a snob. :tongue She believes that any deviation in any way from the original story that Doyle created is blatantly wrong and is not worthy of her attention.

I've begun to examine my own life to see if I'm a snob about anything and, as yet, haven't found anything, but I'm sure I'll find something. I am curious to know if anyone else here is a snob about anything in particular while otherwise being less than snobby.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*refuses to post in such a thread*

:D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a snob about the strains of weed I smoke

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Heh, if you talk to electrical or mechanical engineers, they don't think the word "engineer" should apply to civil engineers. Heck, electrical engineers can barely tolerate it for mechanical engineers. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a snob about the beer I'll drink

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Ohh... Details...

Then I'm a snob about many things...

My kids' education - private school, 30 miles away.
My family's health - double check everything major/irrevocable before agreeing.
The vet I use for my pets - pretty much the same as above.
Cleaning - I have germ issues. Lysol is my friend. And Comet. And Tilex. And soap.
Chocolate - Only Hershey's or Whitman's will do - usually - in a pinch this stops being an issue.
Shoes - Only specific brands.
Certain parts of town - I will drive miles out of my way to avoid certain areas - and no, not because they're not poorer sections of town - I drive there every day to/from school. I just don't want to run into so and so or what's her face. :tongue
Water - both the kind I drink and the kind I swim in.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm a book snob. I only like "my" writers and it is very hard to break away and read a new author.

And I won't take suggestions, or if I take a suggestion, it's only because I was interested before, and the person just confirmed my own belief. If someone suggests a book I have not heard of, I immediately am offended by the book and I don't want to read it.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Chocolate - Only Hershey's or Whitman's will do - usually - in a pinch this stops being an issue.

I'm worse than you on this. Hershey's has too much oil, and Whitman's is meh.

Leonidas is a good brand. Or anything that comes from Europe. :)

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a snob about only two things:

a) snobbery

b) inferior riffraff :D

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Hershey's is the chocolate of the masses. Callebaut, or organic fair trade only.

I only buy VQA wines.

Environmental is the only engineer.

Clothing must have no more than 10% man made fibres. All boots and purses must be made of leather. Sneakers must be Chucks.

Marijuana must be from BC.

Coffee.

I refuse to read "literary fiction".

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*pushes Rob to the ground...steps on the back of his head...leaves*

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Details people! I want details!!!!

Well...my, my...aren't we a detail snob. Humph! *snobby tone *

I don't think I'm a snob about much of anything, mostly because I can't stand being around other folks who act like actual snobs. To me, (true) snobbery is just an excuse for intolerance, ignorance, and a closed minded attitude towards others. *listening to the violins play for my incredible post of wisdom and deep thought*

I shant post in thee thread again! (or is it thou?...thoust?...ye?...meh...only a grammar snob would know)

:snoopy:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
yes i am. about almost everything. you people really wouldn't understand, though.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
That's only snobbery if your raison d'etre is exclusivity, not superior education.

The local public schools are run by idiots - music and art tossed aside for football, state spending per student ranks this state 49th, the grammar I've heard from kids who attend public schools, the same age as my kids, sets off a tic near my right eye.

I'm worse than you on this. Hershey's has too much oil, and Whitman's is meh.

Leonidas is a good brand. Or anything that comes from Europe. :)

I failed to specify - Herhey's dark, not special dark - too bitter. Eurpoean chocolate is truly awesome, however it is nearly impossible to find in Hell. As Jenn said, Hershey's is the chocolate of the masses, but it's what's available.