PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Rises

Diana Hignutt
10-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Chris Nolan has revealed the title of his Dark Knight sequel: The Dark Knight Rises.

He also reveals that thee will be no Edward Nigma/Riddler as had been rumoured.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/56723/nolan-reveals-batman-title.html

Jcomp
10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Let the rampant speculation (that never ended) of who the next villain will be resume!

I'm kind of hoping that they don't bring back Dent. Wouldn't mind seeing Bane. Not really sold on this title either, but I believe in Christopher Nolan...

Diana Hignutt
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Let the rampant speculation (that never ended) of who the next villain will be resume!

I'm kind of hoping that they don't bring back Dent. Wouldn't mind seeing Bane. Not really sold on this title either, but I believe in Christopher Nolan...

Indeed. I don't love the title. He certainly couldn't use The Dark Knight Returns that's for sure.

They are casting an major female part that is not being revealed. Rumors are it's Catwoman, but I'd like to see Talia (and the League of Shadows) to tie it to the first film.

dragonjax
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
They are casting an major female part that is not being revealed. Rumors are it's Catwoman, but I'd like to see Talia (and the League of Shadows) to tie it to the first film.

Can't we have both? :)

Sheryl Nantus
10-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Catwoman... Talia... The Dark Knight "Rises"....

heh, heh...

:D

dragonjax
10-28-2010, 07:43 PM

heh, heh...

Bad Sheryl! Naughty Sheryl! Lighting the grail-shaped beacon!

Sheryl Nantus
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Bad Sheryl! Naughty Sheryl! Lighting the grail-shaped beacon!

like you've never wondered what's in those *other* pockets on his utility belt?

:tongue

dragonjax
10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
like you've never wondered what's in those *other* pockets on his utility belt?

:tongue

If that's the case, why does he always look so grim? ;)

Kaiser-Kun
10-28-2010, 08:37 PM

'Cuz his sidekick is male and underage! Sheesh, no hot single mature women could be conveniently orphaned and motivated to fight against crime then, right? Nooo...

Sheryl Nantus
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Hey, we both write superhero novels.... it's the inner turmoil, the raging urges just under the skin, blah blah blah...

:ROFL:

I'm still hoping they hook up Oracle with someone in the comics...

;)

Kaiser-Kun
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm still hoping they hook up Oracle with someone in the comics...

;)

But they did! =O

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2561608843_ebdbc8a6ef_o.jpg

...uh, nevermind.

Jcomp
10-28-2010, 10:58 PM
On a largely unrelated note that only pertains to Christopher Nolan, I have recently settled on the conclusion that, good as TDK is, The Prestige is still Nolan's best film, and by a decent margin at that. Anyway, carry on with the TDKR discussion...

Diana Hignutt
10-28-2010, 11:07 PM
On a largely unrelated note that only pertains to Christopher Nolan, I have recently settled on the conclusion that, good as TDK is, The Prestige is still Nolan's best film, and by a decent margin at that. Anyway, carry on with the TDKR discussion...

I'd go Inception, personally, TDK and then The Prestige...

Jcomp
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I'd go Inception, personally, TDK and then The Prestige...

I'll admit, my rankings are subject to change based on what I've seen most recently. Ask me again after Inception comes out on blu-ray and I'm liable to have it ranked at the top. I just popped in The Prestige the other day because a guest I was entertaining hadn't seen it yet and afterwards we ended up in this lengthy discussion about what everything meant, and she brought up ideas that I hadn't even thought of, even having viewed it several times already (it might be my favorite movie: again, subject to change). We watched it again right afterward and I haven't stopped thinking about it all week...

But now that I describe that scenario, I could completely see that happening to me when I see Inception again. Freaking Nolan... demanding we pay attention and think and look for clues and question what we've seen...

robeiae
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
The Prestige is awesome. Some of Michael Caine's best work.

As to the new villain, word on the street is that Glenn Beck may be up for the part. A new Joker, of sorts...but far more insane.

Zoombie
10-29-2010, 12:19 AM
This is pretty exciting.

But I still pine and hope for a big screen adaptation of Batman Beyond. I mean, it's batman meets cyberpunk. The show was so awesome it ripped open a hole in the space/awesome continuim.

Grumbles.

Anywho, I'm betting on Catwoman, but I'd like Talia too.

Or a new villain or villainess.

Say, do they ever introduce new villains in movies?

And exactly how pissed would the fanbase be if they did?

Kaiser-Kun
10-29-2010, 12:31 AM
The title seems pretty bland to me. Would the next movie be named "The Dark Knight Returns" or "The Dark Knights" or something?

robeiae
10-29-2010, 12:36 AM
The Dark Knight Goes To Bed

childeroland
10-29-2010, 01:20 AM
I've a feeling the villain will just be a corrupt law-and-order type or bigwig, like Rupert Thorne, who controls some of Gotham's freaks, or a mob guy, like Holiday, who Batman secretly finds out is a freak.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
10-29-2010, 04:47 AM
On a largely unrelated note that only pertains to Christopher Nolan, I have recently settled on the conclusion that, good as TDK is, The Prestige is still Nolan's best film, and by a decent margin at that. Anyway, carry on with the TDKR discussion...Seriously? I know this isn't the thread, but I would love for someone to explain to me how The Prestige wasn't the hugest load of excrement ever. I left the theatre so angry after that movie and told everyone--anyone--inanimate objects--how much I loathed it.

P.S. - I suppose from a strictly technical aspect (filming, acting, lighting, etc.) it was fine; but the story just--erg!--still makes me furious.

P.P.S. - I feel better now. Please resume your discussion.

SPMiller
10-29-2010, 05:07 AM
I had the same reaction to Inception.

Kyla Laufreyson
10-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Personally, I want to see a good Penguin. Sorry to any DeVito fans, but he did not do that role justice, at all. Or maybe...I dunno, I'd like to see them bring in Killer Croc, just because it would amuse me to no end. Or a Poison Ivy redux.

Manuel Royal
10-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Seriously? I know this isn't the thread, but I would love for someone to explain to me how The Prestige wasn't the hugest load of excrement ever.Well, come on, it's not Manos, the Hands of Fate.

The Prestige was, as you note, made with a great deal of technical expertise. Excellent production values, good actors (including the effortlessly great Michael Caine) and a very promising first half. Then it turns to crap. I'd love to see a really good movie about 19th century stage magicians.

Dr. Hugo Strange would be an interesting villain. Always a challenge to write for a character with an IQ of 195. Of course it'd be great to see Harley Quinn on the big screen (and there's at least one member of AW who could do the part).

Given the crime-movie realism (relatively speaking) of Nolan's Batman movies, I don't know if Killer Croc could fit in.

ETA: What about Black Mask? Creepy bastard.

Kyla Laufreyson
10-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Well no, I don't think Killer Croc would fit in, but like I said, it would amuse me. Greatly.

I think someone mentioned Bane, though? While I doubt he could carry an entire movie on his own, it would be nice to see him as a secondary villain.

maxmordon
10-29-2010, 07:05 AM
http://www.batmantas.com/img/ventril4.jpg

Blake M. Petit
10-29-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm not MAD about the title, but I can live with it.

As for the villain, not sure. It's going to be damn hard to top Heath Ledger's Joker.

Izz
10-29-2010, 07:28 AM
I had the same reaction to Inception.As did i. Worst smoke and mirror trick ever.

Onto the new fillim: i'd like to see Bane too, and Talia.

kuwisdelu
10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I vote Orson Welles as the Penguin.

Wait...

Damn.

maxmordon
10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I know, let's see if Sidney Greenstreet is available.

Kyla Laufreyson
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I didn't even think of him!

childeroland
10-29-2010, 06:44 PM
As for the villain, not sure. It's going to be damn hard to top Heath Ledger's Joker.

I'm betting Nolan won't try, but will go with an entirely different type of villain altogether. Maybe a Rupert Thorne or Lex Moxxon or Tony Zucco-type.

dclary
10-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Seriously? I know this isn't the thread, but I would love for someone to explain to me how The Prestige wasn't the hugest load of excrement ever. I left the theatre so angry after that movie and told everyone--anyone--inanimate objects--how much I loathed it.

P.S. - I suppose from a strictly technical aspect (filming, acting, lighting, etc.) it was fine; but the story just--erg!--still makes me furious.

P.P.S. - I feel better now. Please resume your discussion.

The Prestige was BRILLIANT. Fantastically written, the multiple-layered flashback model works perfectly, every single scene builds upon the central theme of the work, which Michael Caine hands to us in the opening seconds of the work. Even that part works toward it.. He knows we're looking for the trick.. but the trick had already been done long before we even knew we should be looking for it.

Amazing story, indescribably awesome plotting, and wow, the characters. Plus it's lavish and beautiful to watch, and each time you can look for more clues in each scene, more items written specifically to point to the themes, buildups, payoffs. Fantastic film, fastastic film-making.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
10-30-2010, 04:15 AM
The Prestige was BRILLIANT. Fantastically written, the multiple-layered flashback model works perfectly, every single scene builds upon the central theme of the work, which Michael Caine hands to us in the opening seconds of the work. Even that part works toward it.. He knows we're looking for the trick.. but the trick had already been done long before we even knew we should be looking for it.

Amazing story, indescribably awesome plotting, and wow, the characters. Plus it's lavish and beautiful to watch, and each time you can look for more clues in each scene, more items written specifically to point to the themes, buildups, payoffs. Fantastic film, fastastic film-making.

Until the very end, which was a big F U to anyone who paid attention to the plot.

K. Taylor
10-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Batman 3 (Action/Comic Book) The third installment in director Christopher Nolan's Batman reboot. Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine star. Casting: John Papsidera, Automatic Sweat Casting, Los Angeles. Shoots in April in New Orleans.
http://www.backstage.com/bso/production-listings/los-angeles-production-listings-1004120519.story

Shooting in New Orleans and not Chicago....a good deal on production, or are they going for a different look?

defcon6000
10-31-2010, 06:45 AM
I'd like to see Poison Ivy and Harley Quin working together to make up for the lack of female villains in the last two films.

Celia Cyanide
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
But they did! =O

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2561608843_ebdbc8a6ef_o.jpg

...uh, nevermind.

HOLY CRAP! Is that guy who I think he is???

I am hoping for Talia.

Glad it's not the Riddler. Thank you.

Celia Cyanide
10-31-2010, 04:32 PM
I'd like to see Poison Ivy and Harley Quin working together to make up for the lack of female villains in the last two films.

It would be pretty difficult to introduce Harley without the Joker. :(

Blake M. Petit
10-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm betting Nolan won't try, but will go with an entirely different type of villain altogether. Maybe a Rupert Thorne or Lex Moxxon or Tony Zucco-type.

Those would be fine as minor antagonists, but you know they'll want a "name" villain to headline the picture. "Batman vs. Lew Moxxon" doesn't sell the title card the way "Batman Vs. The Riddler" would.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's NOT going for the obvious and doing the Riddler. I'm just curious as to what they'll do instead.

defcon6000
10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
It would be pretty difficult to introduce Harley without the Joker. :(
Couldn't they write up a new background for Harley, one where she wasn't attached to the Joker? I just really want to see her in a Batman movie, dammit!

jvc
10-31-2010, 11:21 PM

heh, heh...

:ROFL:

And, yeah, a pretty naff title. But I'm after some more Batman, so I'll take whatever I can get :D

Blake M. Petit
11-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Couldn't they write up a new background for Harley, one where she wasn't attached to the Joker? I just really want to see her in a Batman movie, dammit!

That'd kinda be like doing a Supergirl story where she had nothing to do with Superman. The essence of the character is based on the Joker. If you change her origin, she's not Harley anymore.

Celia Cyanide
11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Those would be fine as minor antagonists, but you know they'll want a "name" villain to headline the picture. "Batman vs. Lew Moxxon" doesn't sell the title card the way "Batman Vs. The Riddler" would.

I don't think "name" villians are that important. Name actors are. Ras Al Ghul, Carmine Falcone, Salvatore Maroni, Mr. Zsaz, and The Scarecrow weren't exactly well known to people who don't follow Batman. Is someone who doesn't care about Batman really going to see a movie because they remember The Riddler from the TV series? They went to see Batman Begins because Liam Neeson was in it, not because of the villain he portrayed.

Nolan has always said he was more interested in the lesser known villians. The Joker was the obvious exception, because Batman can't exist without him.

Celia Cyanide
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
That'd kinda be like doing a Supergirl story where she had nothing to do with Superman. The essence of the character is based on the Joker. If you change her origin, she's not Harley anymore.

Well, to be fair, they did rewrite Wonder Girl's origin so that she had nothing to do with Wonder Woman.

But I do agree that there is something about Harley that makes her inseparable from the Joker. To me, that is what is interesting about her. She is fascinated by him, and seems to believe in spite of everything, that she is just misunderstood.

The thing is....I would LOVE to see her in this world, and see what she'd be like, if she was introduced as the Joker's follower, but in a more serious way. It's such a shame.

Zoombie
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I could see Harley as a young doctor who just really gets and likes the Nolan Joker's message about anarchy and chaos. I mean, Ledger is charismatic enough that it makes sense for someone to ape him...maybe work her in as a copycat or something.

The problem is, copycat does not really scream major villain. Good to create a kind of menace and danger, but not enough on her own.

But good to be paired with someone else.

defcon6000
11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I could see Harley as a young doctor who just really gets and likes the Nolan Joker's message about anarchy and chaos. I mean, Ledger is charismatic enough that it makes sense for someone to ape him...maybe work her in as a copycat or something.

The problem is, copycat does not really scream major villain. Good to create a kind of menace and danger, but not enough on her own.

But good to be paired with someone else.
Which is why I said she should work with Poison Ivy. ;) Her and Ivy had something going on too, although I guess that's just speculation. But would be cool if they had a lesbien relationship (seeing as those hardly ever get portrayed in Hollywood), maybe Ivy helps Harley realize the Joker isn't all that. :P

Schu
11-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I wonder why no one's speculating Batgirl for the unnamed major role they're casting.

BeatrixKiddo
11-02-2010, 06:28 AM
I enjoyed his first two Batman movies so I'll probably dig this one. Although, as much as I love Christian Bale, he's looking a little haggard these days. (too many movies where he loses too much weight for a role, and then gains it back...eat something Christian!...it's starting to catch up with him)

Celia Cyanide
11-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I wonder why no one's speculating Batgirl for the unnamed major role they're casting.

Probably because she was a baby in the last movie. :)

Celia Cyanide
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Which is why I said she should work with Poison Ivy. ;) Her and Ivy had something going on too, although I guess that's just speculation. But would be cool if they had a lesbien relationship (seeing as those hardly ever get portrayed in Hollywood), maybe Ivy helps Harley realize the Joker isn't all that. :P

Oh sure! Boys say this all the time, but if we girls so much as hint that the Joker might be a little gay for Batman, the boys get all pissy! LOL! :)

DavidZahir
11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
How about some variation on The Wrath? These days he resembles the original Mothman--an exact mirror image of Batman, orphaned child of criminals out to avenge himself on police officers, especially the one who killed his folks--Jim Gordon.

defcon6000
11-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Oh sure! Boys say this all the time, but if we girls so much as hint that the Joker might be a little gay for Batman, the boys get all pissy! LOL! :)
:roll: (btw, I'm a girl :P)

Ahh, but what about Batman and Robin? A young man living in the same house as his master, bathing in the same house, undressing in the same house, hmmm...

Joker might have been a cross-dresser with all the make-up but wearing a dress just wasn't as functional as wearing a purple suit. ;)

ChaosTitan
11-03-2010, 06:10 AM
HOLY CRAP! Is that guy who I think he is???

:eek:

Black hair...engaged to Kory...I think he's who you think he is....

I have missed so much recently....

Celia Cyanide
11-04-2010, 04:50 AM
:roll: (btw, I'm a girl :P)

LOL! I didn't mean to assume! But it is usually boys who think that about Harley & Ivy!

Joker might have been a cross-dresser with all the make-up but wearing a dress just wasn't as functional as wearing a purple suit. ;)

Did you read ARKHAM ASYLUM? He was so gay for Batman in that!

Celia Cyanide
11-04-2010, 04:52 AM
:eek:

Black hair...engaged to Kory...I think he's who you think he is....

Congratulations, Dick. After all these years of being Prince Charming, you finally live up to your name. How could you do that to Babs? And Kori? And those of us who hold you up as the more stable half of the Dynamic Duo? Not cool, bro.

defcon6000
11-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Did you read ARKHAM ASYLUM? He was so gay for Batman in that!
No, but I will now. :D

Kaiser-Kun
11-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Congratulations, Dick. After all these years of being Prince Charming, you finally live up to your name. How could you do that to Babs? And Kori? And those of us who hold you up as the more stable half of the Dynamic Duo? Not cool, bro.

I'd say that being raised by Batman might have left him with a wee bit of psychological trauma...

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/334988-RabidChinaGirl/988/2/batman_slap_display.jpg

http://www.issuestheseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/god-damn-batman.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/batmanisadick26lx.jpg

Diana Hignutt
11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
No, but I will now. :D

It is a must. The most important Batman books are, imho:

Arkam Asylum
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Batman: Year One

and for my friend, Mike Barr:

Batman: Year Two
Batman: Full circle
Batman: Son of the Demon

YMMV, or course.

Celia Cyanide
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Indeed. Batman Year Two is totally underrated, as is Son Of The Demon.

I myself really enjoyed Kevin Smith's Batman: Cacophony, but some people don't appreciate it. I thought it was interesting and hilarious.

Celia Cyanide
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I'd say that being raised by Batman might have left him with a wee bit of psychological trauma...

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/334988-RabidChinaGirl/988/2/batman_slap_display.jpg

http://www.issuestheseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/god-damn-batman.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/daveberta/batmanisadick26lx.jpg

I'm glad you didn't post that panel from the Golden Age where Batman slaps that woman and says, "Now be quiet, or Papa spank!"

Celia Cyanide
11-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Please tell me this thread has not died already? Surely we have more to say about the new Batman movie than a mere 3 pages?

childeroland
11-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Not much news except for the shortlist Deadline just published and Tom Hardy joining the cast.http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/chris-nolan-lines-up-actresses-for-batfilm/

I'd love to see any of these actresses in the film, though I don't see Lively doing GL and this in such a short span of time, and unless she is the villain, is Portman really going to play a superhero love interest in two franchises? After Black Swan?

Kaiser-Kun
11-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Please tell me this thread has not died already? Surely we have more to say about the new Batman movie than a mere 3 pages?

Can we make a thread to post all the unintentionally funny comic book panels and covers? =D

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/funnycomic_batspank.jpg

Celia Cyanide
11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I told you not to! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Manuel Royal
11-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Yeah ... then the third act happened, and we were treated to: 1) a flight of absurd fantasy that awkwardly twists the story from a fascinating, gritty historical drama to an attempt at fable; and 2) one of the hoariest, most hackneyed plot devices in the book.

Nothing that a better script couldn't have fixed.

On our original subject ... well, I'm exceeding my rated depth. I've only got a casual knowledge of Batman. But there are so many villains from over the years ... I'd find one that was either believable and useable "as is" in Nolan's world, or that could be adapted, brought down to street level. Actually, I still kind of favor Hugo Strange.

katiemac
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Warner Bros. press release just announced Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle. Tom Hardy is playing Bane.

Jcomp
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Outstanding. Just freaking outstanding. Bane. Perfect...

Zoombie
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!

Izz
01-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Suhweeet! Very happy they're going with Bane.

DavidZahir
01-20-2011, 01:55 AM
With another director, I might be worried. Nolan, not so much. Methinks he'll do something amazing with Bane and Catwoman.

dragonjax
01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Warner Bros. press release just announced Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle. Tom Hardy is playing Bane.

DUDE. Oh, DUDE.

Hmm - cast as "Selina Kyle," not as "Catwoman." Interesting.

Celia Cyanide
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Outstanding. Just freaking outstanding. Bane. Perfect...

And Nolan will get Bane RIGHT this time!!!!!!

WCP
01-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I am not looking forward to Bane, but because it's Chris Nolan and Tom Hardy, he will probably be well done.

Diana Hignutt
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not delighted about Bane, kind of a noveau villain for my tastes, but Nolan makes no mistakes. It will be awesome. No doubts.

JimmyB27
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Warner Bros. press release just announced Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle.
Uhh...wasn't she married to Shakespeare?

Manuel Royal
01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Uhh...wasn't she married to Shakespeare?Yes. She's older than she looks.

Celia Cyanide
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
I was hoping James Franco would be in it. Since he was asked to do INCEPTION.

Celia Cyanide
01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm not delighted about Bane, kind of a noveau villain for my tastes, but Nolan makes no mistakes. It will be awesome. No doubts.

I think KNIGHTFALL, where Bane was introduced, was much more interesting with Bruce Wayne in middle age. But then again, I always thought Ras Al Ghul was much more interesting when Batman was more established, making them equals. (He always called Batman "detective" as a sign of respect) But Nolan made it work in Batman Begins, so I'm good.

Manuel Royal
01-23-2011, 04:38 AM
As a character, Batman is amazingly durable. He survived that Frank Miller All-Stars series that was like fanfiction done by an insane person.

ETA: I'm told there was a version of Bane in the 1997 movie Batman and Robin; possibly I've blocked out all memory of seeing that.

nighttimer
01-23-2011, 07:36 AM
With another director, I might be worried. Nolan, not so much. Methinks he'll do something amazing with Bane and Catwoman.

Most definitely. In Chris we trust.

I'm just hoping we get the Bane of Knightfall that was a brilliant tactician and not just a hopped-up muscle head. I can't imagine Nolan and Hardy would be interested in Bane as a mere grunt.

But I was kind of hoping for Hugo Strange or Mr. Tsasz, two of the best and underused members of the Batman's rogues gallery. Hardy would be equally good as either one. Zsasz might be too grim and gritty for a PG-13 flick, but he scares me more than The Joker because there's nothing remotely amusing about this guy. He makes Hannibal Lecter look like Hannah Montana.
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/336/1/4/victor_zsasz_by_jegang-d343ji0.jpg

Celia Cyanide
01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
But I was kind of hoping for Hugo Strange or Mr. Tsasz, two of the best and underused members of the Batman's rogues gallery. Hardy would be equally good as either one. Zsasz might be too grim and gritty for a PG-13 flick, but he scares me more than The Joker because there's nothing remotely amusing about this guy. He makes Hannibal Lecter look like Hannah Montana.

Zsasz was in Batman Begins.

Zoombie
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Zsasz was in Batman Begins.

When?

childeroland
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
When the inmates broke out of Arkham. He's played by Tim Booth.

Celia Cyanide
01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
When?

He also appears in the very first scene with Dr Crane. Crane is testifying that one of Falcone's thugs (Mr. Zsasz) is insane. Rachel Dawes confronts him afterward about how "convenient" it is that all Falcone's thugs are being declared insane and sent to Arkham.

IMO, this is one character that Nolan got very wrong. Many people have said that they felt Zsasz would make a great villian for this series. But he was so unrecognizable that no one remembers that he has already appeared. The implication that Zsasz is NOT insane and is just a hired thug for Falcone is...not a good one, IMO.

Jcomp
01-23-2011, 08:37 PM
I neve really was a big fan of Zsasz. I do think that Nolan messed up a bit in introducing him as a complete throwaway character, but at the same time he always struck me as being a bit of a lackey, despite his apparently high body count and all that killing people serially and whatnot. There are villains who make Gotham the hellhole it is, and then there are flunkies who only get away with what they do because Gotham is so broken. To me, Zsasz is the latter.

JimmyB27
01-24-2011, 12:42 AM
But I was kind of hoping for Hugo Strange or Mr. Tsasz
Hugo Strange is going to be in the sequel to Arkham Asylum video game: Arkham City (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2010/12/14/batman-arkham-city-hugo-strange-trailer-rewind-theater?objectid=55050)

nighttimer
01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
He also appears in the very first scene with Dr Crane. Crane is testifying that one of Falcone's thugs (Mr. Zsasz) is insane. Rachel Dawes confronts him afterward about how "convenient" it is that all Falcone's thugs are being declared insane and sent to Arkham.

IMO, this is one character that Nolan got very wrong. Many people have said that they felt Zsasz would make a great villain for this series. But he was so unrecognizable that no one remembers that he has already appeared. The implication that Zsasz is NOT insane and is just a hired thug for Falcone is...not a good one, IMO.

Really? Guess I'll have to shove Batman Begins back in the DVD player and take a look. It really must have been a throwaway character because I totally do not recall Zsasz at all.

Not to start any flame wars, but Batman Begins so utterly pales in comparison to The Dark Knight that as great as Christopher Nolan is now, he was still trying to carve his niche with his first turn at Batman. I dig Liam Neeson, but he doesn't inhabit Ra's al Ghul the way Heath Ledger does The Joker.

I neve really was a big fan of Zsasz. I do think that Nolan messed up a bit in introducing him as a complete throwaway character, but at the same time he always struck me as being a bit of a lackey, despite his apparently high body count and all that killing people serially and whatnot. There are villains who make Gotham the hellhole it is, and then there are flunkies who only get away with what they do because Gotham is so broken. To me, Zsasz is the latter.

I partially agree with you Jcomp, but only because Zsasz is treated like a throwaway character by most DC writers. When its time to torment Batman with a random, merciless serial killer they trot out The Joker yet again. Zsasz is like Killer Croc: he's an appetizer for Bats, not an entrée.

The Joker is Hannibal Lecter to Batman's Clarice Starling; charismatic, witty, insane and deadly as hell. Victor Zsasz is just insane and deadly as hell, but since moviegoers love both superheroes and unstoppable serial killers, he seems to me to pose a tougher challenge to Batman than a rebooted Penguin or Riddler would.

Or as one blogger (http://nextbatmanbadguy.blogspot.com/2008/08/zsasz.html) who has mused about who the Dark Knight should square off in the third entry put it:

Victor Zsasz is just a regular old serial killer. No supernatural powers, no elaborate costume, no obsession with birds or plants or cats, no lifelong hatred of Bruce Wayne. He just likes to kill people. The only thing that separates him from Dahmer or Gacy or any other serial killer is that Zsasz carves a mark into himself for each victim. Most drawings make him look like he's well into triple figures, which I have to think would be some kind of record.

Pros: Zsasz is different from your standard Batman villain. He's frightening in a much more realistic way.

Cons: He's not too much of a physical challenge for Batman, to do his murders justice might make it hard to keep the PG-13 rating of the past two movies, and he doesn't really make for exciting chase scenes or dramatic rescues.

A "regular old serial killer" might seem mundane for Batman and we've seen plenty of the "Dark Knight" in the first two flicks, but not much of the "Detective." Nolan's Batman is a man of action and Lucius Fox comes up with all those toys for him to play with, but I'd like to see Bats use some of brains and not always his fists and gadgets to pull Gotham's bacon out of the fire.

Just a thought. It's not like Chris Nolan needs any of my suggestions. :Shrug:

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Really? Guess I'll have to shove Batman Begins back in the DVD player and take a look. It really must have been a throwaway character because I totally do not recall Zsasz at all.

No one does. He was played by the lead singer of the band James for reasons that are not quite clear to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qZ5B-yioU

I did not remember seeing him when I saw the movie, either. I think I figured out he was in there because I found it on the character's Wikipedia page.

The problem I have with this is....Rachel Dawes was trying to make the case that Dr Crane was declaring all of Falcone's assasins insane so they would go to Arkham instead of jail. She was trying to prove that they were all mob guys who knew what they were doing. This is certainly true of Falcone, but why is Mister Zsasz used as an example of this? He certainly does not do what he does because a mob boss hires him. Why is he used here at all?

I liked Tim Booth's facial expressions at the trial, but other than that, the only thing he has in common with the real Zsasz is his bald head.

Not to start any flame wars, but Batman Begins so utterly pales in comparison to The Dark Knight that as great as Christopher Nolan is now, he was still trying to carve his niche with his first turn at Batman. I dig Liam Neeson, but he doesn't inhabit Ra's al Ghul the way Heath Ledger does The Joker.

I was not in love with Batman Begins for many reasons, the most basic being that I already know how Batman Begins, and I wanna see him be Batman. I don't have much patience for origin stories. When I was a kid, I never once wondered why Batman was a crime fighter. I was more interested in seeing how he did it.

However, I did watch it with my best friend, and she really liked it because she never knew how he became Batman. In the scene in The Dark Knight, when the faux Batman asks, "what's the difference between you and me?" she turned to me and said, "what IS the difference? If he doesn't have any super powers, how can he do what he does?" She didn't realize how much training and discipline he went through. She said it made her understand why I thought he was so cool.

I partially agree with you Jcomp, but only because Zsasz is treated like a throwaway character by most DC writers. When its time to torment Batman with a random, merciless serial killer they trot out The Joker yet again. Zsasz is like Killer Croc: he's an appetizer for Bats, not an entrée.

The Joker is Hannibal Lecter to Batman's Clarice Starling; charismatic, witty, insane and deadly as hell. Victor Zsasz is just insane and deadly as hell, but since moviegoers love both superheroes and unstoppable serial killers, he seems to me to pose a tougher challenge to Batman than a rebooted Penguin or Riddler would.

Batman says in CACOPHONY that Zsasz is the villian that he hates the most out of all of them, which is interesting. The Joker does horrible things, but Batman doesn't hate him. He likes him. He wishes he could be reformed, but he cannot. Zsasz? He really hates that guy.

nighttimer
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I was not in love with Batman Begins for many reasons, the most basic being that I already know how Batman Begins, and I wanna see him be Batman. I don't have much patience for origin stories. When I was a kid, I never once wondered why Batman was a crime fighter. I was more interested in seeing how he did it.

However, I did watch it with my best friend, and she really liked it because she never knew how he became Batman. In the scene in The Dark Knight, when the faux Batman asks, "what's the difference between you and me?" she turned to me and said, "what IS the difference? If he doesn't have any super powers, how can he do what he does?" She didn't realize how much training and discipline he went through. She said it made her understand why I thought he was so cool.

That's the trade-off the minority of us whom are familiar with the hero's backstory have to deal with the majority that are not. The first 30 minutes has to be spent setting up their origin for the masses who don't know a Tomar Re from a Hal Jordan in this year's Green Lantern and can't figure out why a rich guy like Tony Stark wants to give up booze and broads to put on a Iron Man suit and fly around fighting bad guys when he could just hire some minimum wage working stiff to do it for him.

For every one fan who "gets it" when Cyclops asks Wolverine if he would prefer yellow spandex, everyone else just sits there as it sails right over their head.

The needs of the many who need the origin explained to them outweighs the few who know it by heart. :e2shrug:

katiemac
01-24-2011, 06:28 PM
That's the trade-off the minority of us whom are familiar with the hero's backstory have to deal with the majority that are not. The first 30 minutes has to be spent setting up their origin for the masses who don't know a Tomar Re from a Hal Jordan in this year's Green Lantern and can't figure out why a rich guy like Tony Stark wants to give up booze and broads to put on a Iron Man suit and fly around fighting bad guys when he could just hire some minimum wage working stiff to do it for him.I'm in the "majority that are not." I know enough of the basics--Spider-man, some X-Men, Superman, Batman--but throw out other guys like Captain America, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle or the Flash and I'm clueless on their origins. But I still find the origin stories the least interesting part of the story. As Celia says, it's what they do as the hero that is more interesting.

Since they're now starting to reboot all of these franchises and make films out of heroes who haven't been on the big screen yet, I hope they start putting less emphasis on some of the origin stories. I don't need to see Peter Parker bitten by a radioactive spider again.

Jcomp
01-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I re-watched Batman Begins this weekend actually. I still think it's pretty damn good. It gets overshadowed by TDK, but I don't think TDK works nearly as well without some of the first film's set up. The takedown of the mob, the escalation, hell even the origin. There are so many call-backs to the first film that it enhances TDK. It also doesn't have quite the pacing problems and plot quagmire issues that are present in TDK, in my opinion. Minor stuff, I know, but credit where it's due and all that jazz.

Then again, even though I'm already a fan, I like a good origin story. I think Begins does a good job of setting everything up as plausible within the universe it takes place. Tim Burton's Batman is fun and all, but minus the origin it has to take the slightly more goofy and off-beat approach. You can't make a movie like TDK without first tracing some origins and establishing Batman as being at least partially realistic.

Batman says in CACOPHONY that Zsasz is the villian that he hates the most out of all of them, which is interesting. The Joker does horrible things, but Batman doesn't hate him. He likes him. He wishes he could be reformed, but he cannot. Zsasz? He really hates that guy.

I actually hated that. It seemed so random, like Kevin Smith wanted to write something to make his mark on the character and so suddenly Zsasz is the most hated of Batman's rogue's gallery, regardless of how it makes sense within comics continuity. Granted, we're talking about DC's continuity which is like talking about Michael Bay's use of subtlety. Nonetheless, Joker has killed one of Batman's wards, paralyzed a friend for kicks, surely has a significantly higher body count than Zsasz, and has pushed Batman to the brink of breaking your "no killing" code several times. Once to the point where the only thing that kept him from doing it was Gordon threatening to shoot Batman if he didn't cease and desist his attempted murder. But Zsasz is the guy he hates the most. I just didn't buy it...

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm in the "majority that are not." I know enough of the basics--Spider-man, some X-Men, Superman, Batman--but throw out other guys like Captain America, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle or the Flash and I'm clueless on their origins. But I still find the origin stories the least interesting part of the story. As Celia says, it's what they do as the hero that is more interesting.

I guess the thing that bugs me about it is....why can't people just accept that someone is already a superhero? Why do we have to start out in a world with no superheros and then explain why someone became one? Unless an origin story is a full story arc (and it usually isn't) I would just prefer to go right into the real story. But it's like people who don't know comics can't really accept that. In a movie like BLACK SWAN, the first half of the movie is not an explanation of why she became a ballerina. Granted, a superhero is a fictional profession. But in a world in which it is established that people do stuff like that, it shouldn't be so weird.

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I actually hated that. It seemed so random, like Kevin Smith wanted to write something to make his mark on the character and so suddenly Zsasz is the most hated of Batman's rogue's gallery, regardless of how it makes sense within comics continuity. Granted, we're talking about DC's continuity which is like talking about Michael Bay's use of subtlety. Nonetheless, Joker has killed one of Batman's wards, paralyzed a friend for kicks, surely has a significantly higher body count than Zsasz, and has pushed Batman to the brink of breaking your "no killing" code several times. Once to the point where the only thing that kept him from doing it was Gordon threatening to shoot Batman if he didn't cease and desist his attempted murder. But Zsasz is the guy he hates the most. I just didn't buy it...

CACOPHONY was...somewhat controversial, but....I loved that. I found it very believable, actually. The Joker is charismatic. Zsasz makes your skin crawl. The Joker did kill Jason, but Batman feels partly responsible for that. I think The Joker keeps Batman honest, because he reminds him why his code is important. As he told Jason, it would be too easy to kill him.

WCP
01-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Batman Begins was great, in my opinion and I enjoyed it a lot. The further from the origin story, the worse the movies usually get (the other Batman movies, X-men, Spider-Man, etc). Also, creators need to make their own origin story to flesh out the characters particular motivations/spins in their version. Without Batman Begins, the Dark Knight wouldn’t have been. Also, origin myths have a significant place in our deep subconscious that makes them inherently re-watchable.

Jcomp
01-25-2011, 02:41 AM
CACOPHONY was...somewhat controversial, but....I loved that. I found it very believable, actually. The Joker is charismatic. Zsasz makes your skin crawl. The Joker did kill Jason, but Batman feels partly responsible for that. I think The Joker keeps Batman honest, because he reminds him why his code is important. As he told Jason, it would be too easy to kill him.

Well sure The Joker is charismatic to some of us viewing everything from behind the fourth wall, but to The Bat? It might be too easy to kill him as he alleges in the more recent arc with Jason Todd, but that didn't stop him from nearly doing it on at least two or three occassions I can think of. There's no one else in his rogue's gallery who I can think of that has tempted him to kill them more than once.

On a totally unrelated sidenote, I think I'm going to start referring to Batman as The Bat. It makes me feel all... supervillain-y...

Back to TDKR, you know... I think I'd also like to see Bruce go undercover as Matches Malone. I don't know why that came to me, but I think that could help flesh out some of the more "detective" stuff that people say is missing.

katiemac
01-25-2011, 02:47 AM
On a totally unrelated sidenote, I think I'm going to start referring to Batman as The Bat. It makes me feel all... supervillain-y...

One of the things I like about Nolan's franchise is the villains call him "The Batman."

MumblingSage
01-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Yeah ... then the third act happened, and we were treated to: 1) a flight of absurd fantasy that awkwardly twists the story from a fascinating, gritty historical drama to an attempt at fable; and 2) one of the hoariest, most hackneyed plot devices in the book.

Nothing that a better script couldn't have fixed.

On our original subject ... well, I'm exceeding my rated depth. I've only got a casual knowledge of Batman. But there are so many villains from over the years ... I'd find one that was either believable and useable "as is" in Nolan's world, or that could be adapted, brought down to street level. Actually, I still kind of favor Hugo Strange.

Re the Prestige: I remember walking out in a fuzzy Nolan-induced state of "That. Was. Awesome!" but as time goes by the ending bothers me more and more, for the reasons Manuel Royal mentioned (I'm a twin myself, so I get twitchy about that sort of thing. We are not interchangeable.) However, I wonder if some of that wasn't the fault of the original book, which I've never dared read. The acting was brilliant, and the plotting (flashbacks and all, if not the plot itself) was staggeringly well done.

Re the Dark Knight Rises: I'm not that enthusiastic about the title, but maybe it's supposed to remind people of the last film, as if they'd forget? The thought of a major female role both appeals to me and makes me extremely nervous (I'm a twitchy feminist as well as a twitchy twin, and I keep feeling people "get it wrong" when it comes to female protagonists. I can't remember if the previous movies passed the Bedchel Test. Should I be hopeful?). And I can't even begin to guess who the villain will be.

WCP
01-25-2011, 02:56 AM
I got the Prestige novel because I heard how good it was - then I read it in one night waiting for my mom to finish gambling at a casino.

It was a great book and very readable- but *spoiler alert* I was disspointed that the explanation for the trickery was totally in the realm of fantasy. Before I got to that point, I wondered how the author would explain the tricks in a clever way that was not actual magic, so when it turned out to be actual magic, it seemed like a cop out.

JimmyB27
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
The further from the origin story, the worse the movies usually get
Yeah, but sequels in general tend to get worse as the series goes on.

Jcomp
01-25-2011, 03:01 AM
One of the things I like about Nolan's franchise is the villains call him "The Batman."

I also absolutely love this. Adding that "the" to the name does something for the way other people see the character. "The Batman" is like saying "the bogeyman." He's some unknown, somewhat unidentified man or thing or combination thereof who can show up anywhere at anytime to take you out.

Half the reason why I popped in Begins this weekend was just so I could see the scene where Cilian Murphy says "He's here... The Batman." I love that part.

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Well sure The Joker is charismatic to some of us viewing everything from behind the fourth wall, but to The Bat?

I would say so, although not everyone would agree. I think Batman and Joker have a mutual respect that runs much deeper than any of his other villains. Batman is always about yin and yang...his sidekick is not a mini-me, but a colorful kid with a much spunkier personality. His best friend in the JLA is not the Green Arrow, but Superman. He learns from people who are different from him.

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2011, 03:12 AM
I also absolutely love this. Adding that "the" to the name does something for the way other people see the character. "The Batman" is like saying "the bogeyman." He's some unknown, somewhat unidentified man or thing or combination thereof who can show up anywhere at anytime to take you out.

Half the reason why I popped in Begins this weekend was just so I could see the scene where Cilian Murphy says "He's here... The Batman." I love that part.

I totally agree, but then that crappy new kids' series had to go and ruin by calling itself that...

Manuel Royal
01-25-2011, 05:24 AM
For every one fan who "gets it" when Cyclops asks Wolverine if he would prefer yellow spandex, everyone else just sits there as it sails right over their head.Nothing's going over anybody's head there; either you happen to know that bit of trivia or you don't. It's not knowledge of any depth, just a little in-joke.

An origin story allows for expository dialogue that arises naturally instead of being forced. Bruce Wayne's conversation with Alfred upon his return to Gotham (in Batman Begins) provides a concise philosophical basis for what he sees as the necessity to create and inhabit a legend, something more than a man. That's the burden he carries the rest of his life.

Diana Hignutt
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Heck, half the reason we watched Begins this weekend was just to see Cillian Murphy. :)

nighttimer
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Nothing's going over anybody's head there; either you happen to know that bit of trivia or you don't. It's not knowledge of any depth, just a little in-joke.

Beg to differ. :e2fight:

For my wife and daughter who know jack about the X-Men that particular quip meant nothing. My son and I laughed. But it was just a throwaway line of dialogue to the ladies and not having the knowledge that "little in-joke" meant nothing.

Back to the Dark Knight Rises, here's a skeptical voice to the casting of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/Mn/esq-anne-hathaway-catwoman-012411-lg.jpg

Look, we want to see Anne Hathaway in a cat suit as much as the next guys — she's a wonderful, beautiful actress, and the Catwoman getup is second only to the Princess Leia bikini in the fantasy costume hall of fame. But we're afraid this is going to turn out to be one of those things that's better in theory, like chocolate beer, or sex on a beach, or Halle Berry in a cat suit.

First off, Hathaway's got big — call 'em iconic — shoes to fill, namely Michelle Pfeiffer's kitten heels. And unlike Michelle Pfeiffer, who could star in a YouTube series if she cared to exist in this century, there's nothing particularly feline about Hathaway — not in the face or the gait or the intonation. Her intonation, as you will learn at the Oscars next month, is less villainous than vapid, more charming than disarming. And though she's proven her chops in a variety of genres (Anne Hathaway is a pharmaceutical rom-com pro if there ever one), there's this kind of lovable goofiness to her that's more doglike than catlike. And we mean that in the kindest possible way.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/anne-hathaway-catwoman-5010931#ixzz1C4BHV2ty

JimmyB27
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Look, we want to see Anne Hathaway in a cat suit as much as the next guys — she's a wonderful, beautiful actress, and the Catwoman getup is second only to the Princess Leia bikini in the fantasy costume hall of fame. But we're afraid this is going to turn out to be one of those things that's better in theory, like chocolate beer, or sex on a beach, or Halle Berry in a cat suit.

First off, Hathaway's got big — call 'em iconic — shoes to fill, namely Michelle Pfeiffer's kitten heels. And unlike Michelle Pfeiffer, who could star in a YouTube series if she cared to exist in this century, there's nothing particularly feline about Hathaway — not in the face or the gait or the intonation. Her intonation, as you will learn at the Oscars next month, is less villainous than vapid, more charming than disarming. And though she's proven her chops in a variety of genres (Anne Hathaway is a pharmaceutical rom-com pro if there ever one), there's this kind of lovable goofiness to her that's more doglike than catlike. And we mean that in the kindest possible way.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/anne-hathaway-catwoman-5010931#ixzz1C4BHV2ty

Wasn't there some doubt about Heath Ledger before TDK came out? I know I doubted the guy from A Knight's Tale could make a good Joker. But look how that turned out.

Also, chocolate beer is delicious.

Jcomp
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Meh. I think she'll be fine. I don't think Catwoman "has to be" overtly sexy, and it's very unlikely she'll be in the traditional outfit anyway. Coming off the heels of Rachel's demise I doubt Bruce will be in any sort of mood to flirt with or find himself tempted by the jewel-theiving anti-hero anyway.

katiemac
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Meh. I think she'll be fine. I don't think Catwoman "has to be" overtly sexy, and it's very unlikely she'll be in the traditional outfit anyway. Coming off the heels of Rachel's demise I doubt Bruce will be in any sort of mood to flirt with or find himself tempted by the jewel-theiving anti-hero anyway.

Right. If she even wears a suit/costume at all. I'm not really sold that we're going to see the "Catwoman", even if Hathaway is playing Selina Kyle.

Celia Cyanide
01-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Wasn't there some doubt about Heath Ledger before TDK came out? I know I doubted the guy from A Knight's Tale could make a good Joker. But look how that turned out.

Exactly.

I agree with JComp that she doesn't have to be overtly sexy. My favorite version of her was the streetwalker in Batman: Year One.

And I agree with KatieMac that we haven't really been told that Catwoman will be in this movie. Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle. It does not say she has been cast as Catwoman. Harvey Dent was in Batman 89. Two Face was not.

Manuel Royal
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Beg to differ. :e2fight:

For my wife and daughter who know jack about the X-Men that particular quip meant nothing. My son and I laughed. But it was just a throwaway line of dialogue to the ladies and not having the knowledge that "little in-joke" meant nothing.Yeah ... which doesn't disagree with what I said. Not sure sure what we're differing about.

Catwoman is all about attitude; how an actress embodies that is more important than what she looks like. (Just like real life.) But -- if we have Selina Kyle before she becomes Catwoman, I'd love to see her as a fully-formed "normal" character.

Toothpaste
01-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Actors act.

That's what they do. Now, not all Hollywood actors as I suppose that versatile, but often casting directors simply don't give actors a chance to show what they can do. They get type cast, so audiences assume that all an actor can be is a glorified version of herself. To be fair, probably many Hollywood actors can't do much more than that. But I have seen Hathaway in enough things to know she actually puts effort into making her characters interesting and suit whatever film she's in. She's good. She'll be fine.

Like with Heath. Everyone was shocked he was so good, but I knew he would be because he was stunning in Brokeback. Okay, so the character in Brokeback was nothing like the Joker, but that's not the point. Brokeback demonstrated he was a good actor, and therefore I knew as a good actor he'd do the Joker justice.

It's called acting.

Celia Cyanide
01-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Actors act.

That's what they do. Now, not all Hollywood actors as I suppose that versatile, but often casting directors simply don't give actors a chance to show what they can do. They get type cast, so audiences assume that all an actor can be is a glorified version of herself. To be fair, probably many Hollywood actors can't do much more than that. But I have seen Hathaway in enough things to know she actually puts effort into making her characters interesting and suit whatever film she's in. She's good. She'll be fine.

Like with Heath. Everyone was shocked he was so good, but I knew he would be because he was stunning in Brokeback. Okay, so the character in Brokeback was nothing like the Joker, but that's not the point. Brokeback demonstrated he was a good actor, and therefore I knew as a good actor he'd do the Joker justice.

It's called acting.

Totally.

Many of the actors that the general public thinks are so amazing are not necessarily better than anyone else. Many actors simply never get the chance to show what they can do outside of their type. Paul Newman always insisted that he knew many actors who were much more talented than he was, but they weren't famous because they weren't as lucky as he was. Now he was an incredibly humbled man, but he is expressing a great truth here. If Nolan had not given Heath Ledger the chance to show what he could do, many might never have known how talented he was. Nolan could see that in him.

Manuel Royal
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I just read that Dr. Hugo Strange will be in the movie, played by -- Robin Williams. That could work.

katiemac
01-30-2011, 01:48 AM
I just read that Dr. Hugo Strange will be in the movie, played by -- Robin Williams. That could work.

Rumor.

K. Taylor
02-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Caine said he's excited to reteam with Christian Bale (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/celebs/c109527_Christian_Bale.html) and the rest of the Gotham denizens for the final installment of Christopher Nolan (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/celebs/c109576_Christopher_Nolan.html)'s Caped Crusader trilogy.

"I talked to Chris last week 'cause I said I hadn't gotten a script and he said, 'I haven't finished it.' And he said, 'I'll finish it in two weeks,' " Caine said, noting the helmer's penchant for secrecy surrounding his follow-up to 2008's The Dark Knight.

Caine was also ecstatic of word that his Inception costar Marion Cotillard (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/celebs/c158310_Marion_Cotillard.html) may join (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b225999_which_oscar-winning_babe_may_join_dark.html) the cast of TDKR when shooting gets under way this June at Elstree Studios in London.

"Marion Cotillard is in it? Nobody tells me these things," the 77-year-old thesp said. "Oh shoot. I didn't know. Well, Anne Hathaway (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/celebs/c108750_Anne_Hathaway.html) is Catwoman (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b221418_purrr-fect_anne_hathaway_lands_dark.html)isn't she? Well that's fabulous. Tom Hardy is gonna be great too [as Batman nemesis Bane]. He's a tough British actor."

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b226081_batman_star_michael_caine_spills_on.html#i xzz1DyPHZCPB

Celia Cyanide
02-15-2011, 02:27 AM
I heard Marion was playing Talia!

DavidZahir
02-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Actors act.

It's called acting.Thank you.

As someone who has acted, let me tell you it always boiled my blood to read people opine about what role different actors could play essentially based on what parts they've been offered in the past--usually with little real knowledge of said actor's resume. On another board, somebody once went on about how Kate Beckinsale would have been all wrong for The Ring because it wasn't an action role. WTF???? Kate Beckinsale at that point had done Shakespeare, Romantic Comedies, thrillers, Jane Austen and exactly two action films.

Along those lines...

Henry Fonda was one of the most repellent characters I've ever seen in Once Upon A Time In The West.
Christopher Lee came across as genuinely noble, even weeping at harm he failed to prevent in the film Jinnah.
Sometime take a gander at films like Labyrinth and Requiem for a Dream to see what Jennifer Connelly can do!

Michael Caine. Think about him. Star of Alfie and Dressed to Kill and Sleuth. As Alfred Pennyworth, butler to Bruce Wayne!

Actors act. Good actors act well. Very good ones do it very well. While I'd hesitate to cast Anne Hathaway as, for example, Othello where is any real problem with her as Selina Kyle? I don't see one.

WCP
02-19-2011, 03:22 AM
please no robin williams

also, if selina kyle is in the movie, catwoman will be in the movie - why else have selina kyle?

PrincessofPersia
02-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Could be building up to Catwoman without actually putting her in a significant chunk of the movie. But it would be disappointing if she was Selina for most or the entire movie.

Celia Cyanide
02-19-2011, 08:04 AM
also, if selina kyle is in the movie, catwoman will be in the movie - why else have selina kyle?

Because she's a character who exists in Gotham?

Harvey Dent was in Batman 89, and yet Two-Face wasn't. Commissioner Gordon's daughter was in the Dark Knight, but she didn't become Batgirl, and probably never will in this series. He just has her in there because she still exists in that world.

Diana Hignutt
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I heard Marion was playing Talia!

ZOMG!!!

I also heard that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will also be in this one. Possibly as one of Carmine Falcone's sons (that's the rumor I heard).

Rhoda Nightingale
02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
*agrees with Toothpaste, as per usual*

On the subject of Heath Ledger and everyone being *SHOCKED!* that he was actually, y'know, good in The Dark Knight--that pissed me off, to tell you the truth. Having been a fan of his from 10 Things I Hate About You onwards, it did not surprise me one bit to see him act well, because he always acted well. So when everyone was all like, "Wow, he's actually good at this--who knew?" I was flailing in the background going, "I DID! Seriously, what have y'all been watching for the past ten years? Pay attention!"

/rant

On the subject of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman/Selina Kyle/whatever they're calling her--y'know, I may have previously agreed with the sentiment in the link that nighttimer posted, especially the bit about intonation....if I hadn't seen her in Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. Her voice there is completely transformed, and I was impressed.

With that in mind, I try to take the, "Well, let's just see how this goes," attitude on most actors that are still in the process of building their careers, like she is.

Celia Cyanide
02-24-2011, 11:24 PM
*agrees with Toothpaste, as per usual*

On the subject of Heath Ledger and everyone being *SHOCKED!* that he was actually, y'know, good in The Dark Knight--that pissed me off, to tell you the truth. Having been a fan of his from 10 Things I Hate About You onwards, it did not surprise me one bit to see him act well, because he always acted well. So when everyone was all like, "Wow, he's actually good at this--who knew?" I was flailing in the background going, "I DID! Seriously, what have y'all been watching for the past ten years? Pay attention!"

/rant

I don't think anyone was shocked that he was "actually good." I think people were shocked that he was THAT good. Being a fan of the comic, I was shocked ANYONE was that good. The character is such a difficult one to recreate in a realistic live action movie. Even a seasoned veteran like Jack Nicholson didn't do it. I thought what he did was cool, but it absolutely bore no resemblance whatsoever to the character in the comic.

The Joker had previously been so bizarre and cartoony that I couldn't even imagine him in Nolan's world. The reason I was so shocked by his performance was that he created something that I had almost considered unfilmable. The Joker is/was creepy, disgusting, and scary, as well as manic, over-the-top, and completely unlike any other human being alive. And the thought of someone like that being played by someone young and cute never occured to me.

Certainly some had underestimated Ledger, but we were all surprised by what he did.

BjornAbust
02-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Haha! That'd be insane! I can't picture it.

maestrowork
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
It's official. Nolan has decided to film DKR in Pittsburgh as Gotham City.

fireluxlou
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I was let down by the Dark Knight, think it got over hyped which made think "wow this is crap" and not enjoy it, but wil watch the third film, because I watched the first two.

Celia Cyanide
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
It's official. Nolan has decided to film DKR in Pittsburgh as Gotham City.

I thought it was New Orleans?

Diana Hignutt
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought it was New Orleans?

Nope. Pittsburgh in July. I saw it in the paper yesterday.

DeleyanLee
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Makes me wish I was still working in the city. :D

katiemac
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Official: Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate, a Wayne Enterprises board member, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, a Gotham City beat cop.

Also, the film is shooting in Pittsburgh (again rumored but officially announced today in Pittsburgh).

maestrowork
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
It's HUGE deal in Pittsburgh, probably the biggest movie to be shot after Silence of the Lambs. All the East Coast actors will try to converge at the three rivers... :)

Darren Frey
04-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I will say Im a bit iffy about Bane being the main villian. Then again, I was iffy when I heard that Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker in DK but his performance completely blew me away so I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Celia Cyanide
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
I want to be in it. *sob*

crunchyblanket
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm unsure about Bane too. He seems too cartoonish. But Tom Hardy is an excellent actor, and Nolan seems to have dealt very well with each character so far. I'd like to see him make Bane a little more realistic.

Celia Cyanide
04-20-2011, 02:09 AM
I thought Bane was great in the comic, and on the animated series.

MttStrn
04-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm unsure about Bane too. He seems too cartoonish. But Tom Hardy is an excellent actor, and Nolan seems to have dealt very well with each character so far. I'd like to see him make Bane a little more realistic.

+1

I think Bane is pretty lame too and was surprised he was announced as one of the villains. But like you said, Tom Hardy is pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to how it plays.

Strychnine
04-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I think Bane is kind of great. One of the only villains to figure out Batman's true identity on his own, you know, the man who broke the bat. I think the best thing about him is that he is supposed to be perfectly sane and incredibly intelligent. If he is portrayed like that, with the emphasis being on his intelligence etc, and not on just on what the Venom does to him, he could be a great villain, and I think Tom Hardy + Nolan will do him justice.

Strychnine
04-20-2011, 03:45 AM
Oh, also, if Harley Quinn was a possibility (Harley without Joker makes me saaaaad), I always thought Juno Temple would be great! "Street-smart Gotham girl" will have to do...

EDIT: Wait, she's Holly Robinson?? Huh...

crunchyblanket
04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Bane is kind of great. One of the only villains to figure out Batman's true identity on his own, you know, the man who broke the bat. I think the best thing about him is that he is supposed to be perfectly sane and incredibly intelligent. If he is portrayed like that, with the emphasis being on his intelligence etc, and not on just on what the Venom does to him, he could be a great villain, and I think Tom Hardy + Nolan will do him justice.

Bane worked perfectly well in the comics because he was quite comic-book, superficially: this big, muscle-bound freak. But I'm hoping Nolan will seize upon what made Bane interesting - the fact that he is fiercely intelligent. I guess I'm still sore from the Bane that appeared in Batman and Robin....

Diana Hignutt
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Bane worked perfectly well in the comics because he was quite comic-book, superficially: this big, muscle-bound freak. But I'm hoping Nolan will seize upon what made Bane interesting - the fact that he is fiercely intelligent. I guess I'm still sore from the Bane that appeared in Batman and Robin....

Who isn't?

Celia Cyanide
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Who isn't?

Yeah, that wasn't Bane...I don't really know what the hell that was...

Matthew Colville
04-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Tom Hardy is so good he disgusts me. He was the best part of Inception, he was fun in The Real Rock 'n' Rolla, and he KILLED as Charlie Bronson in Bronson.

They could announce he's playing Catwoman for all I care, I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt.

Strychnine
04-21-2011, 03:34 AM
But I'm hoping Nolan will seize upon what made Bane interesting - the fact that he is fiercely intelligent. I guess I'm still sore from the Bane that appeared in Batman and Robin....

Yeah, bulging purple veins and growling isn't ideal :crazy:

JimmyB27
04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Who isn't?
I'm not because I've managed to avoid watching the travesty that is Batman and Robin.

Strychnine
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/first-image-of-tom-hardy-as-bane-in-the-dark-knight-rises <----picture of Tom Hardy as BANE...

:hooray:

Zoombie
05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
You know, super-soldiers like that are not THAT odd now-a-days...I think it can be handled well. I also would love to see Bane as fiercely intelligent, because smart bad guys are ALWAYS better than dumb ones.

PrincessofPersia
05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/first-image-of-tom-hardy-as-bane-in-the-dark-knight-rises <----picture of Tom Hardy as BANE...

Mr. Pfister is just an amazing DP. I've been a fan of his since Memento, but The Prestige had some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. Whatever else happens with this movie, it is certainly going to look great.

Jcomp
05-24-2011, 01:46 AM
But the really big news is that Matthew Modine has been cast as some guy named "Nixon," thus answering the question of who will be Nolan's obligatory "older 'has-been' actor who gets thrown a bone in a blockbuster." Rutger Hauer, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall, Tom Berenger and now Modine. IMDB is now listing it as a director's trademark.

JimmyB27
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Some more creative marketing (http://hackaday.com/2011/05/26/hidden-messages-in-audio/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hackaday%2FLgoM+%28Hack+a+Day %29&utm_content=Google+UK) going on for this one.

crunchyblanket
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM

He-llo!

playground
06-03-2011, 06:44 AM
I am beyond stoked for this movie. If only it was coming out THIS summer.

xitomatl
06-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I have to say, I'm a little iffy about Bane too, despite the good actor playing him, simply because I never really liked the big evil juggernaut type characters. In anything.

I've always been really into Batman for the Joker, he's always been my favourite, and Heath Ledger was everything the Joker was in my head... I just don't see any other villain filling that void in the movies.

childeroland
06-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I am beyond stoked for this movie. If only it was coming out THIS summer.

Well, you have Transformers 3 to tide you over in the meantime.:ROFL:

Diana Hignutt
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movie/dark-knight-rises

Liam Neeson is listed in the cast. I am dazzled. And the trilogy comes full circle..one might assume. RAS!

Diana Hignutt
07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movie/dark-knight-rises

Liam Neeson is listed in the cast. I am dazzled. And the trilogy comes full circle..one might assume. RAS!

The Demon's Head!!!

K. Taylor
07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Preview trailer is attached to HP DH Part 2. It's a teaser, of course, since they haven't filmed much, but the vibe was awesome. Though sad to see it include text of this being the final for the trilogy and this is where the story ends.

Diana Hignutt
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Preview trailer is attached to HP DH Part 2. It's a teaser, of course, since they haven't filmed much, but the vibe was awesome. Though sad to see it include text of this being the final for the trilogy and this is where the story ends.

For Nolan and Co., of course, yes. But, don't think this particular cash cow--er--bat has finished it's milk production just yet. How far down it sinks after this one is anyone's guess...

Darren Frey
07-15-2011, 07:39 PM
They didnt show the teaser when I went to See Harry Potter last night. They showed Sherlock Holmes 2 and a few others but no Batman :(

J.W. Alden
07-17-2011, 07:32 AM
They didnt show the teaser when I went to See Harry Potter last night. They showed Sherlock Holmes 2 and a few others but no Batman :(

I saw it today and they showed it. There wasn't much to it, really, but it excited me none the less.

nighttimer
07-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I saw the teaser trailer and it gave me a chill. :banana:

An analysis of the teaser for 2012's most anticipated film.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1667531/dark-knight-rises-trailer-analysis.jhtml

K. Taylor
07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Diana, I know Batman isn't done, but this team will be and that's who I want to see. I've heard about Warner Bros. already planning a reboot once this trilogy is done and I think it's totally unnecessary until several years pass.

Batman explored as a serious TV show could be fresh, but movies....meh.

RayC
07-21-2011, 05:08 PM
The movie, at least from the clip online, looks good. Very reminiscent of Dark Knight, but not sure how Baine as the villain, along with Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) is going to be. Nicholson's Joker is still the best villain in my opinion.

Diana Hignutt
07-21-2011, 07:20 PM
The movie, at least from the clip online, looks good. Very reminiscent of Dark Knight, but not sure how Baine as the villain, along with Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) is going to be. Nicholson's Joker is still the best villain in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong, sir. Nicholson's a hack. Heath Ledger's Joker was the best comic book movie villain evah!

Though, Tom Hiddleston's Loki was impressive...

And a special mention for the Ozymandias in Watchmen.

nighttimer
07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Your opinion is wrong, sir. Nicholson's a hack. Heath Ledger's Joker was the best comic book movie villain evah!

Though, Tom Hiddleston's Loki was impressive...

And a special mention for the Ozymandias in Watchmen.

See, I was with you on Ledger and Hiddleston, but the guy who played Ozymandias was the worst thing about a bad movie in Watchman...well, besides Malin Akkerman's acting, Zack Snyder misdirected direction, the horrible musical choices and Billy Crudup's blue 10-foot dingus in my face for two hours.

Bleh. The only thing worse than watching Watchmen is talking Watchmen. :Ssh:

Diana Hignutt
07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
See, I was with you on Ledger and Hiddleston, but the guy who played Ozymandias was the worst thing about a bad movie in Watchman...well, besides Malin Akkerman's acting, Zack Snyder misdirected direction, the horrible musical choices and Billy Crudup's blue 10-foot dingus in my face for two hours.

Bleh. The only thing worse than watching Watchmen is talking Watchmen. :Ssh:

In fairness, I guess I was really refering to Ozymandias' monologue at the end, "I'm not some sort of comic book villain..." Hence, special mention rather than thrid place. And Alan Moore gets all the credit. I do like the film, but I think it's because I love the book.

Jehhillenberg
07-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Ledger played that Joker role to his death! Jack Nicholson's The Joker is still considered best by many; his portrayal was dark but more tongue-in-cheek, humorous and joker-ish (yeah I know. Heath Ledger's was way darker, disturbed and psychological. I enjoyed both. As for this new movie, the title isn't very original. C'mon Nolan dude. Female lead? Catwoman with Halle Berry kinda flopped (still love her) but now they wanna bring that character to the next movie. I guess it's expected, but I'd like to see other characters, maybe Harley Quinn - Joker's assistant since he won't be in the next (I hate that). Batgirl Batwoman, minor roles, but they could do. Mad hatter's gonna be a villain from what I've hear but you never know. I'm hearing Johnny Depp's gonna be in it -- perfect villain awesome actor. Haven't seen any clips or trailers yet, but I'm anticipating the movie. Hopefully it's not as complex as The Dark Knight, I left the theaters on the opening night trying to count all the plots in it.

PrincessofPersia
07-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Ledger played that Joker role to his death! Jack Nicholson's The Joker is still considered best by many; his portrayal was dark but more tongue-in-cheek, humorous and joker-ish (yeah I know. Heath Ledger's was way darker, disturbed and psychological. I enjoyed both.

I like Ledger's better, but I still love Nicholson. And he was a great Used Car Salesman Joker.

As for this new movie, the title isn't very original. C'mon Nolan dude. Female lead? Catwoman with Halle Berry kinda flopped (still love her) but now they wanna bring that character to the next movie. I guess it's expected, but I'd like to see other characters, maybe Harley Quinn - Joker's assistant since he won't be in the next (I hate that). Batgirl Batwoman, minor roles, but they could do. Mad hatter's gonna be a villain from what I've hear but you never know. I'm hearing Johnny Depp's gonna be in it -- perfect villain awesome actor. Haven't seen any clips or trailers yet, but I'm anticipating the movie. Hopefully it's not as complex as The Dark Knight, I left the theaters on the opening night trying to count all the plots in it.

The title may not be very original, but it works for me.

As for the characters, Harley Quinn could have been cool. Hard to do without the Joker at least appearing. I would have preferred the Joker and maybe actually making something out of Scarecrow instead of just writing him off like a villain wannabe like they did in TDK. Bane could be really cool though, so long as they don't do a Schumacher on him. And having anyone other than Ledger as the Joker now would be really stupid.

Who's doing another Batman after TDKR? Cause it ain't Nolan. Unless he flip-flopped (which is possible), he's said multiple times that it's a trilogy, and Rises is the end.

STKlingaman
07-23-2011, 04:43 AM
I saw a trailer for it yesterday.
Looks like it takes place several years
in the future, Oldman is in a hospital bed
saying "Batman must return".

And I always thought Ruger Hauer coming back
as Mister Freeze would be cool. (Somehow
freezing Wayne Enterprise and Gotham City's
financial system - I just like Hauer though).
I'm not 'up' on the whole comic book super
hero's stories, and how they intertwine or who
is from which line of Comics.

Or . . know what the difference between a
comic book and graphic novel is.

PrincessofPersia
07-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Or . . know what the difference between a
comic book and graphic novel is.
The main difference, and some say the only difference, is length.

Celia Cyanide
07-23-2011, 09:45 AM

I love BATMAN '89, and Nicholson is awesome, but he essentially doing what he usually does while wearing clown makeup. Don't get me wrong, it was cool and fun, but he was not playing The Joker.

Celia Cyanide
07-23-2011, 09:46 AM
The main difference, and some say the only difference, is length.

A comic book comes out once a month. Like a magazine. A graphic novel is published and put on the shelf like a book.

PrincessofPersia
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
A comic book comes out once a month. Like a magazine. A graphic novel is published and put on the shelf like a book.

Not necessarily.

Celia Cyanide
07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Not necessarily.

How so?

Jehhillenberg
07-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I like Ledger's better, but I still love Nicholson. And he was a great Used Car Salesman Joker.

The title may not be very original, but it works for me.

As for the characters, Harley Quinn could have been cool. Hard to do without the Joker at least appearing. I would have preferred the Joker and maybe actually making something out of Scarecrow instead of just writing him off like a villain wannabe like they did in TDK. Bane could be really cool though, so long as they don't do a Schumacher on him. And having anyone other than Ledger as the Joker now would be really stupid.

Who's doing another Batman after TDKR? Cause it ain't Nolan. Unless he flip-flopped (which is possible), he's said multiple times that it's a trilogy, and Rises is the end.

I agree and I don't think the Joker's gonna be a part of the movies anymore -- well if Nolan is directing it, because it makes sense. Ledger recreated that role and set the bar high. There will probably be another set of Batman movies in about ten years or less. An up-and-coming director (in my dreams, ME!) will take on the project. Superheroes are in high circulation right now. What will they think of next in the film world for these movies?

MttStrn
08-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Click through the link for some photos of Anne Hathaway all decked as Catwoman.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/08/05/anne-hataway-catwoman-official-photo/

Gotta say I'm not feeling it yet. Doesn't mean I won't see it, but both the Bane and Catwoman costumes are not doing it for me.

DavidZahir
08-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Try this as an experiment. Go find a movie you adore. Then find someone who's never seen it. Take three random screenshots from that movie and get this other person to write a review of the entire movie based on those screenshots.

A single picture is just that--a snapshot taking up one-twenty-fourth of one second of screen time. Two dozen photos would make up one whole second of a two hour movie.

Celia Cyanide
08-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I keep hearing rumors about Selina. So apparently, she is definitely Catwoman, not just the pre-Catwoman Selina. I have heard that she is a prostitute, and I hope that is the case. The rich socialite Selina who steals because she is apparently bored is harder to sympathize with.

DeleyanLee
08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm hoping that Nolan will do something with the love relationship between Bruce and Selena. It adds a different spin to the villain aspect. From what I've heard (I live outside of Pgh, so I have friends who are pretty much able to watch every day of filming so far), the vast majority of the shots filmed so far are with Bruce and Selena, not Batman and Catwoman. Makes me hopeful.

Though Nolan has a history of not really doing strong female characters well, so I'm also leery.

The one thing that I'll give Nolan over any other Batman director is that he can have multiple villains in the movie--and merge all their story lines into one cohesive, interesting movie. It's nice to have that assurance.

Celia Cyanide
08-08-2011, 12:43 AM
All true. I wish he would have started with Selina. Or Talia. Rachel Dawes was a really lame character. Even if she does have my name. ;)

Jcomp
12-20-2011, 01:58 AM
BATMAN! (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thedarkknightrises/)

Jehhillenberg
12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Woot!

K. Taylor
12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Anybody seen the new 6 minute prologue?

Jcomp
12-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Saw it this weekend. It was awesome. In fact, it was BATMAN!

Jake Barnes
12-21-2011, 02:51 AM
It appears that both the protagonist and the antagonist will be wearing masks (the bad guy a hundred percent of the time). This reduces the impact the actors in the two most important roles will have.This is a problem I havew with a lot of superhero movies (Ironman 2, for example).

shawkins
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Just saw the trailer. I never thought I'd ask this, but is it possible to be too awesome?

Celia Cyanide
12-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Just saw the trailer. I never thought I'd ask this, but is it possible to be too awesome?

I feel the same way. I am all excited for the new movie, and not even missing the Joker (!)

MttStrn
05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Nerdgasmic new trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk

J.S.F.
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is gonna be one awesome wrapup. Can't wait to see it. A lot of people (or so I've read online) don't like the idea of Anne Hathaway playing Catwoman but hey, she's got the build for it, she's pretty, and she's a solid actress. I'm sure she'll do the part proud.

Big thing is Bane. Def wanna see how they get the idea of the strength formula across without it seeming too comic-booky. Cannot wait!!

third person
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
This new trailer is for sure better than the first. I'm really skeptical about Catwoman though. I LOVE strong kickass female characters. Just look at my current avatar. But Catwoman as a kung-fu-fighting, in-the-shit combatant with dozens of armed mooks around her? I don't see it. But I did see it in the trailer and that worries me.

Intelligence is just as important as brawn when it comes to a "strong" female character. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by her character in the actual movie...

Jcomp
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
It sounds a bit like they might've cleaned up Bane's voice in this newest trailer, too. I love it, top to bottom. Can't wait.

katiemac
05-02-2012, 12:15 AM
It sounds a bit like they might've cleaned up Bane's voice in this newest trailer, too. I love it, top to bottom. Can't wait.

I didn't actually have a problem with Bane's voice in the prologue. There was a lot going on there in the sound department and you have to settle into it. I'm not saying they didn't clean up the voice, but I was someone who didn't think they needed to.

third person
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
I didn't actually have a problem with Bane's voice in the prologue. There was a lot going on there in the sound department and you have to settle into it. I'm not saying they didn't clean up the voice, but I was someone who didn't think they needed to.

Because Bane, as they seem to present him in the trailers, is the perfect parallel to Batman. Gravelly-voiced genius brute Vs. Gravelly-voiced genius brute. A completely even match, which is to say it sorta-kinda represents batty fighting himself in a way. I can dig it.

Jcomp
05-02-2012, 02:35 AM

I actually liked what they were doing with his voice, but it was just a little too muffled for me, particularly in that otherwise perfect scene where you have such commotion going on. At times, for me, he was completely indecipherable.

The305itself
09-15-2012, 02:12 AM
The movie was epic, robin continues batman's legacy, just like in the comics, but we still don't even know if batman is dead or not, it could have all been Alfred's imagination.

Lavern08
09-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Saw this on TV last night (I know, I know, gimme a break) :o

I'm no movie critic, but I know what I like, and this was incredible entertainment. Not a Hathaway fan, but she did ok.

Contrary to what many say, I think Bale is one of the best @ being Batman.

And Bane? Well, he was just all kinds of creepy/scary/terrifying.

I totally enjoyed it. :)

Celia Cyanide
09-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Did you see The Dark Knight? Because that was way better. I thought The Dark Knight Rises was good, but it was kind of a let down after the one before it.

Lavern08
09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Did you see The Dark Knight?

Yes, I did, and I lurved that one too. I've always been a big Batman fan (as opposed to Superman) - The brooding, tragic hero is rather schmexy. :heart:

I think the Dark Knight Rises was a great follow-up, and I'd relish seeing Gordan-Levitt as Robin in the next one. ;)

elindsen
09-17-2013, 06:18 AM
I couldn't stand Hathaway. She over-acted so much and really didn't fit the character at all. The movie would have been so much better without her.

Derrick
09-17-2013, 06:38 AM
I've seen THE DARK KNIGHT RISES three times now and the more I watch it the more I see in it I don't like. It should have been titled "Bruce Wayne Rises" as it really isn't a Batman movie at all. And I couldn't take Bane seriously as he sounded like Sean Connery on a three day drinking binge.

J.S.F.
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
So much hate for the fun'n'action filled finale in the trilogy. Initially, I thought Anne Hathaway was gonna stink up the joint. Wrong--she was fine, much better than I expected.

Christian Bale went a little overboard doing the voice of Batman, but really, he owned the role, much better than Keaton or, god help us all, Kilmer or Clooney. Nice character study and Michael Caine is always fine. Ditto for Morgan Freeman. A bit too long, but all in all, well done.

I wonder how the teamup of Superman and Batman will go. Also lots of Snyder hate (due to MOS--which I liked, so sue me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but if the script is good, it might be worth watching. Marvel did The Avengers as a great teamup flick, no reason why DC can't do the same.

dragonjax
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I truly loathed Dark Knight Rises. Huge disappointment after how much I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Knight.

onesecondglance
09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I liked TDKR so much I saw it twice - once in a regular cinema, then the very next week at an IMAX.

I thought Anne Hathaway nailed it. Bane is ridiculous, but I don't care - I was grinning throughout. It's a fun movie.

Derrick
09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I wonder how the teamup of Superman and Batman will go. Also lots of Snyder hate (due to MOS--which I liked, so sue me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but if the script is good, it might be worth watching. Marvel did The Avengers as a great teamup flick, no reason why DC can't do the same.

DC/Warner doesn't have much faith in the continuing success of the Superman franchise since they're bringing in Batman to back it up which will pretty much result in Superman being a guest-star in his own sequel. Got to admit that I'm hoping Ben Affleck will knock it out of the park due to the really unreasonable backlash he's been getting. Reminds me of the gnashing of teeth and wailing in the land when Michael Keaton landed the role.

Here's the thing with MAN OF STEEL: Christopher Nolan's fingerprints were all over that movie and I saw very little of Zack Snyder's distinctive visual style in that movie. It's the same problem that plagued SUPERMAN RETURNS where Brian Singer was so determined to homage Richard Donner he buried his own directorial style and as a result we didn't get his vision of the character which is what we really wanted to see.

And the reason why DC/Warner can't make a successful team-up movie like THE AVENGERS? It's because they make grim, moody movies about dark, damaged superheroes who are ashamed to be superheroes and don't have much fun being superheroes. They don't save the day, they don't get the girl at the end and they're left with nothing but despair at their lot in life.

Marvel/Disney makes movies about superheroes who like being superheroes and have grand, glorious adventures where they triumph over evil and come out on the other side of the darkness better people for the trials they have gone through. And yeah, they do save the day and get the girl.

dragonjax
09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
And yeah, they do save the day and get the girl.

Dude, SPOILERS. **ducks**

(Hey, where did the smiley ducking icon thingie go? Sheesh!!!)

Cyia
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Dude, SPOILERS. **ducks**

(Hey, where did the smiley ducking icon thingie go? Sheesh!!!)

No need. What you quoted isn't accurate to begin with.

DC hardly has a lock on brooding Byronic heroes. Iron Man's not exactly well adjusted, and I think the Hulk sums the sentiment up by word alone. Captain America isn't portrayed, even in the film, as much more than a relic who can't fit into the society he's been thrust into. And as for getting the girl - ask Wolverine how that's working out for him.

On the subject of the Superman franchise losing steam -- it hasn't gathered any to lose, yet. Once they find the right actor/director/writer combo, it'll explode into a mega-money maker, but it's not an easy thing to do. (Kind of like how Marvel had so many misses before Mark Ruffalo nailed the Hulk. And now they're rebooting The Fantastic Four in hopes of finding gold, there, too.)

Derrick
09-18-2013, 04:13 AM

DC hardly has a lock on brooding Byronic heroes. Iron Man's not exactly well adjusted, and I think the Hulk sums the sentiment up by word alone. Captain America isn't portrayed, even in the film, as much more than a relic who can't fit into the society he's been thrust into. And as for getting the girl - ask Wolverine how that's working out for him.

On the subject of the Superman franchise losing steam -- it hasn't gathered any to lose, yet. Once they find the right actor/director/writer combo, it'll explode into a mega-money maker, but it's not an easy thing to do. (Kind of like how Marvel had so many misses before Mark Ruffalo nailed the Hulk. And now they're rebooting The Fantastic Four in hopes of finding gold, there, too.)

Tony Stark's a billionaire genius industrialist who creates sophisticated suits of armor that are the most powerful weapons on the planet. Add to that he's handsome, charismatic and a lot of fun to be around. Sure he's got a few eccentricities but he's a lot better well adjusted than Bruce Banner, who I admit has some wonky wiring going on upstairs.

Logically, there should have been a movie in-between CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER and THE AVENGERS to properly show him as having trouble fitting into modern society because in THE AVENGERS he seems to have acclimated pretty well. And being The Living Legend of WWII kinda gives a guy some props in the way of having S.H.I.E.L.D. to help you adjust.

The Superman franchise can't gain any steam because DC/Marvel isn't going to let it build up it's own steam. The second film of the franchise and they're already throwing in a guest-star in the way of Batman who is a proven box office moneymaker? It's yet another desperate play by DC/Warner as they just so badly want a movie that will generate AVENGERS level box office that they'll do just about anything they think will work at this point.

zerosystem
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't think that DC is necessarily desperate yet. It's not like the Batman trilogy and the MOS did not make money. It's just that they want to simulate the success of The Avengers now rather than to build it up slowly like Marvel did through about seven movies in its movie universe.

What I wish DC would do is to emulate the success of their animated universe by asking Bruce Timm to take over the creative side of their movie universe. Maybe it might even be better to continue the DCAU into live action. Sure couldn't hurt.

K.B. Parker
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Popping in to discuss my fanboy-ism. Up until The Dark Knight in 2008, the most I had seen a film in theaters was three times (Grindhouse - 2007). I saw The Dark Knight in theaters 14 times, granted tickets at the local movie theater are only $4 (with popcorn, candy and soda only $1). Safe to say, I love The Dark Knight.

I saw the Dark Knight Rises and loved it almost as much. It's a different film, for sure and The Dark Knight is certainly the better of the two, but I still believe it's the single greatest trilogy out there. I only saw it in theaters one and a half times though. After the tragedy in Auorora, I tried to watch it again but had to leave. I finally got around to being able to sit through the movie again a few months ago, and I still love it, but due to what happened, for some reason, it can be very difficult for me to watch.

Celia Cyanide
09-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Popping in to discuss my fanboy-ism. Up until The Dark Knight in 2008, the most I had seen a film in theaters was three times (Grindhouse - 2007). I saw The Dark Knight in theaters 14 times, granted tickets at the local movie theater are only $4 (with popcorn, candy and soda only $1). Safe to say, I love The Dark Knight.

I saw it 17 times!

I liked both movies. I think TDR gets a bad rap just because it followed TDK, which was just...I feel like it raised the bar for superhero movies, somewhat. Before TDK, I felt like superhero movies were thought of as a cute little subgenre, like zombie movies. You could do something good within that genre, but it was still "only" a superhero movie. With TDK, it felt like Nolan was saying, "Okay, I'm just going to do a really good movie with a great story and complex characters that happens to be about a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime. Oh yeah, and he is the same character that has been in several comic books, TV shows, and cartoons....what?"

nighttimer
09-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I truly loathed Dark Knight Rises. Huge disappointment after how much I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Knight.

Whenever I'm checking my watch throughout a movie that's a movie that boring the hell out of me and wasting my precious time. The Dark Knight Rises was a boring waste of my precious time and it is absolutely joyless.

I generally like Christopher Nolan, but DKR was a sloppy, structural mess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tE-BCwZtw&feature=share&list=PLMWfZxj1nTkQBy4AeRGG4xH5d2IIApNPj) and he treats comic book material like Shakespearean tragedies. He should lighten up and listen to The Joker, "Why so serious?"

Iron Man's not well-adjusted? Iron Man is Tony Stark's working clothes and Stark is good-looking, witty, has more money than God, bangs hot women and he's got a super-suit of armor.

We should all be such social misfits. :rolleyes

J.S.F.
09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
When I read reviews, I'm reminded of Billy Wilder's opinion of them and Oscars, something about assholes and everyone has one or is one or something like that.

Nice link, Nighttimer. I notice that while Batman got 73 plot mistakes and was sentenced to Hell, The Avengers with Tony Stark's blitheness and shiny suits got only nine less little digs.

Oh, and it was sentenced to Hell, too.
Spiderman the reboot got 53--sentenced to Hell. It would have had more, but they gave it only two minutes instead of three for TDKR.
Avatar had four minutes and got 64 plot mistakes wrong. As Bill Cosby would say..."Riiiiiiiiight." This was Dances with Smurfs but it got LESS things wrong than The Dark Knight Rises.

Yeah, nice link.

Disco Inferno, anyone?

Celia Cyanide
09-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Iron Man's not well-adjusted? Iron Man is Tony Stark's working clothes and Stark is good-looking, witty, has more money than God, bangs hot women and he's got a super-suit of armor.

We should all be such social misfits. :rolleyes

He's an alcoholic. So there's that.

nighttimer
09-19-2013, 05:45 PM

Okay. You got me there. At least Tony Stark doesn't go through teenage wards the way Bruce Wayne does.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/paragon_451/funny/batman-1.jpg

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne might have some juicy stories to tell the National Enquirer about Bruce.

williemeikle
09-19-2013, 06:31 PM

He's a complete dick too...

J.S.F.
09-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Okay. You got me there. At least Tony Stark doesn't go through teenage wards the way Bruce Wayne does
---

No, he goes through a shitload of Yaeger, though.:)

Bruce Banner does a thriving business in the rag trade and has "breathtaking anger management issues" (probably the funniest line in The Avengers)

Prof. X has a control problem.

Wolverine is a midget with a bad sense of diction and also immense anger management problems. Plus, he smokes in the movies-BAD ROLE MODEL!

The Pyms are just weird.:D

Daredevil--at least in the film--is a pill-popping, no-can-do committment lawyer who ain't very good at what he does because he gets paid in fluke.

Peter Parker is the ultimate nebbish. 'Nuff said.

K.B. Parker
09-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I saw it 17 times!

I liked both movies. I think TDR gets a bad rap just because it followed TDK, which was just...I feel like it raised the bar for superhero movies, somewhat. Before TDK, I felt like superhero movies were thought of as a cute little subgenre, like zombie movies. You could do something good within that genre, but it was still "only" a superhero movie. With TDK, it felt like Nolan was saying, "Okay, I'm just going to do a really good movie with a great story and complex characters that happens to be about a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime. Oh yeah, and he is the same character that has been in several comic books, TV shows, and cartoons....what?"

I think you hit the nail on the head. After a film like TDK, there is bound to be some irrational hate for the follow up. I think a lot of people jumped on the batman ship during The Dark Knight and that was what batman was to them. While TDKR keeps the darkness, it was a very different film. They are two of my favorite movies of all time, and it's because Nolan treated them like a serious dramatic film. I've never been too hot on Comic Book Movies, and have yet to see a lot of Marvels movies.

I liked The Avengers, but it really had no meat for me. It was fun as hell, and that obviously is what a lot of viewers want, but I like my movies with dramatic substance. I mean, veering off topic slightly, the best films I have seen this year are The Place Beyond The Pines, Martha Marcy Mae Marlene, and Sunshine (late to all three parties haha).

Which brings me to something else, a lot of people said that the Batman films got too serious, but I think of the three nolan batfilms, TDKR is the most like a comic book.

DMausf
09-19-2013, 10:33 PM
I feel like I must had been one of the last people to see TDKR. Only saw it about a month ago for the first time.

It was pretty good IMO. Although I could definitely tell that things were starting to lean a bit towards the corny side in this film with a few in-jokes and one instance of obvious explaining to the audience stood out to me. Otherwise, I don't think it was bad as some critics made it out to be. Not as deep or dramatic or the TDK, but arguably that was a hard act to follow with no serious villain build-up like with Harvey Dent and the Joker.