I'm crushed...and my husband doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

Registered
Reaction score
I received the big R on a full that was out to my dream agent. I had really convinced myself that she was the one. I'm not really sure what to do with the information she gave. I appreciate it (of course) but I'm pretty sure the basic gist is that I have a good story but there's something unappealing about the way I write.

This is her reply:

Thank you for letting me read this. It's good -- but not for me. The plot is there, with all the right bits and pieces to make this work, but something in the writing style puts me off. It's a bit too expository for me, and I don't get a lot of tension and emotion from the tone. As an agent, I have to love what I represent to be able to pitch it well. I don't love this. BUT - I do think you will be able to place it with someone else.

I'm so crushed. What should I do? Try to rewrite? Keep sending out submissions? Bury myself in chocolate and self-loathing. Oh, wait - Too late.

I really respect this agent's opinion and if she doesn't "feel it" - well, let's just say that leaves me a bit concerned. I know I should just pick my sorry-ass up by the boot straps and keep moving forward...the glass is half full...tomorrow is another day, yadda, yadda, yadda...I just don't have the energy right now. I feel beaten. I'm not - I know. But right now, I FEEL it. I'm really trying to keep the faith, but some days are tougher than others.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome. And have some booze. Those kind of Rs suck rocks.

Have you gotten similar feedback with other Rs? If this is a one-off, then let it rest and see what other agents say. I had one agent love my characters and another say they were as boring as beige paint. :)

You had it beta-read before you started querying, yes?

*hugs*

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Hon, I had one "dream" agent tell me that my plot was great, but my protagonist wasn't 3-dimensional enough. I had a second "dream" agent tell me that my protagonist was awesome, but that my plot was weak.

And then I found MY agent, who loved all of it, and sold it to an editor who loved it just as much.

It sounds like this was just a matter of personal taste. Even this agent said there's nothing wrong with your skill, it just wasn't her cuppa.

I give you 48 hours to wallow and eat all the chocolate you can find. Then, you must get back up, and sent out a revenge query. Sometimes, your "dream" agent is one you'd never have imagined.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
This R seems to imply that success involves not a rewrite, but the right agent. If you value this agent's feedback, that's what I get out of it. Unless there's something really specific in her comments, I'd keep querying until you find someone who loves it enough to take it on.

Hugs and good luck.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Faith. :Hug2: Full Rs suck.

My questions are basically the same as what others have asked. have you gotten any other feedback, either from agents or betas? It could just be your style that the agent didn't get, or it could be an issue with the story. But you'll have to make that decision for yourself based on your gut feeling and multiple opinions.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just not a writing style she enjoys. She does say she thinks you'll be able to place it with another agent which is huge. See if you can find anyone who has a writing style similar to yours, who agents them? Pitch to those people, if it is still not well received then I'd consider a rewrite.

So sorry though! My husband wouldn't get it either. :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: and :Hug2:. Rs like that are tough, especially when you're really gotten your hopes up. I've got the same questions as everyone else -- what kind of feedback have you gotten from betas and other agents; is it similar? Don't jumo into a rewrite unless it seems like everyone is saying something similar, and --most importantly-- you feel like it's the right thing to do to make your book a stronger one. Give yourself a few days and think about it: it takes a while to let a response like this sink in and to think about it clearly.

This is, for all it hurts, a good R: this agent may not have felt the love she wanted to to offer, but she obviously was impressed with it. That's a good sign.

Faith

Registered
Reaction score
I'm already feeling better. THANKS TO YOU ALL! Still somewhat nauseated, but better. This is my 1st novel. It's YA - Paranormal Mystery. I have queried about 60 agents, which was a mistake b/c I should have perfected my query before sending out too many. In my defense - at the time, I thought it was perfected; however, every time I read it I find something I want to change. (Same goes for my book.)

I've had 2 requests for partials - which were both Rs. Had 2 requests for fulls - the first of which I am currently boohooing about and the other is still out there. Pray for me! I guess I'm taking this to heart so much b/c it's the only feedback I've ever gotten besides a plain ol' R.

No one has ever read my full MS except for this agent that just rejected me. None of my friends or family knows of my writing aspirations. I feel like a fool when I say that I want to be a published writer. I wish I were more confident - I'm just not. My husband hasn't even read it. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to allow him to read it. That was about 6 months ago. When I finally told him that I wanted to be a writer - he said, "Sure, you could definitely do that." He's supportive - just in his own way and not the way I really want right now. In his defense - he's not a reader unless it involves hunting, fishing, or football. Lord, how did we end up together. Wow...I just reread what I wrote. He's really not as detached as I'm making him sound!

I really do appreciate all of your comments. I do feel better. Less beaten. You guys rock. Thank you!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think the rejection is very clear, there was something about the book that didn't suit her taste, but she thinks someone else might really like it.

Until you get feedback of a similar nature over and over again, I wouldn't touch the MS. I have an MS out on sub to several publishers that gets rejected over and over again, each time the editor has a different reason for why he/she rejected it. Many times the reasons contradict each other: they love the plot, not the MC vs they love the MC but not the story etc. Why? Because it comes down to personal taste.

Keep on keeping on. There's no such thing as only one perfect agent. I'm on my third (two were at the same agency), and each one has been marvelous. You'll find someone else who is just as awesome. :)

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
I second the others, Faith. Give it a few days to let the sting wear off, and then get your work back out there. If you get similiar comments elsewhere, consider a rewrite, if not, then this was simply down to personal preference and that's not something you can control.

Rejections on fulls smart. It's not just a rejection of the work, but it's the end of all the wonderful imaginings we can't stop ourselves from dreaming while we wait to hear back--especially when it's a dream agent. A kind of mourning of what could have been. Maybe that's dramatic, but you know what I mean.

If you've had a full request, the chances are you'll get another. I had a similiar R--just not for me, didn't love it, but 'keep querying, someone's going to go wild for this concept and get you a deal.' Someone did go wild and I couldn't be happier with my agent. Now all we've got to do is get that deal!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
One opinion means nothing. If three or four or five agents/editors also reject the work because of the writing, you have a real problem.

But as you say, this is your first novel. Now, first novels do sell now and then, but expecting one to sell is not very realistic. First attempts at anything are usually pretty bad. Second attempts are usually better, and third, fourth, and fifth attempts better still.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Faith, I see that you haven't had anyone else read your MS. I'd strongly suggest finding some beta readers in your genre to take a look. Betas are a *huge* help. You can offer to exchange reads in the beta section of this forum.

And :Hug2: for the lack of friend and family support. You're not alone in that. But friends and family make for great cheerleaders but lousy critical readers so I wouldn't worry about that.

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Faith, I'm so sorry.

I remember that sting so well, but you know what? It all turned out ok for me and I'm sure it will for you too.

That letter should be taken as an encouragement. It just means something didn't quite click, even though technically everything was there. She seems confident that you will find an agent, so you should too.

Sorry though. :Hug2:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like she's a Strunk and White fan. So, first step, get yourself a copy of Strunk and White. Second, I recommend Maass, "Writing the Breakout Novel" and any other books that address your specific problems. Third, find a writing course in a community college or university, they're often offered on weekends and evenings and can be quite helpful.

Then, after you've done that revise and resubmit. There's no point in beating your head against a wall, your writing won't get better simply by doing it again. Take some time, polish your craft and try again.

That's my two cents anyhow.

Oh and Stephen King's, "On Writing" is really good too.

Faith

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't let myself get weepy over the R, but reading everyone's words of encouragement - well, damn....I just can't help myself. I sooooo appreciate everything you are all saying. I take all advice to heart. Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU. I really needed the pick me up. Okay...I'm not giving up. I going to keep going. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Faith, a few tidbits from my own experiences:

1. You have just suffered what we in The Daily Rejection thread used to call a SPLAT -- a rejection on a full. It's so common that there's an actual term for it. Sometimes it comes with nothing more than a "No thanks," sometimes with accompanying explanation. It's part of the querying life.
  2. Of course I've had 'em, almost exactly like yours. "I'm just not feeling the magic" was the most ominous one to me; if my writing has no "magic," that's B-A-D. But magic is subjective. Love is subjective -- whatever it is an agent wants from a manuscript is subjective. What choice did I have but to keep querying? I did so, and lo! eventually another agent felt differently.
  3. When I say "I kept querying," I mean your 60 is nothing compared to what I did. I had a more difficult project -- a graphic novel -- and I sent out about 380 queries over the course of a year. The reason I didn't give up was that I had -- ahem -- Faith in my project and I knew that somewhere out there was an agent who would feel the magic. It was just a matter of finding him/her.
  4. Don't be shy about "coming out" as an aspiring published author. You'd be amazed at how much support you'll get. What if someone you knew told you they wanted to do stand-up comedy downtown, or get on Project Runway, or start their own little bakery? You'd light up and tell them to reach for it.
  5. No matter how enthused your supporters, they still may not "get" your highs and lows as the Requests and Rejections roll in. I have close family who don't understand why I'm so high about having signed with a fab agent. "So, like, is that good?" they ask. "Why don't you just publish it yourself? Why don't you write a book about [insert their surefire bestselling idea here]?" They're not mean or cold; they simply don't understand all the ins and outs of the publishing world and why I'm so wedded to my particular project.
For what it's worth. Keep writing, keep editing, and keep querying!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I As an agent, I have to love what I represent to be able to pitch it well. I don't love this. BUT - I do think you will be able to place it with someone else.
First, look at what I bolded. That's important. And remember, she's even saying that SHE herself doesn't love it. Doesn't mean someone else won't. Focus on that right now.

And eat those chocolates.

DesertRose

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with stormie. Keep trying to place it with someone else and take it as a compliment that she does believe you will place it. Everyone has a different taste. It doesn't mean your work wasn't good. Another agent might chomp at the bits to represent you. Don't give up.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're allowed to wallow - for a bit. Have a moan, maybe even a good old cry. Rejections are horrible, especially when you've had your hopes raised.

Then it's time to pull on your big girl pants and get back to submitting. :D

Look on the bright side. The agent took the time to write something personal, which they don't always do, which means your novel has merit, or else why would they bother?

Like you, my hubby doesn't understand my urge to write, or my disappointment when I get a rejection. That's why I love AW. We're not alone here. :Hug2:

Muse

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed three different books in a matter of two years to the same agent. My dream agent. All of his rejections were the standard thanks but no thanks form letters, but in his last rejection, he hand wrote that I was getting closer and signed his name...

What the hell does that mean? How am I getting closer? Am I wearing him down? Am I improving? Oh well, I've given him a rest and have moved on... Is that close enough? lol.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
No matter how enthused your supporters, they still may not "get" your highs and lows as the Requests and Rejections roll in. I have close family who don't understand why I'm so high about having signed with a fab agent. "So, like, is that good?" they ask. "Why don't you just publish it yourself? Why don't you write a book about [insert their surefire bestselling idea here]?" They're not mean or cold; they simply don't understand all the ins and outs of the publishing world and why I'm so wedded to my particular project.

I think a lot of aspiring writers misconstrue lack of understanding as a lack of support. Loved ones either think publishing is easy, ("Look at all the books out there!") so why haven't you done it yet? Or they think it's this uncrackable society of elite people who just don't share the same genes as you and I, so why try breaking in?

They're not trying to break your heart, they just have a warped concept of the way this part of the world works.

So, Miss Plum, I completely agree!

As for the topic at hand: Faith, it's your fist novel and you've gotten full requests. That is definitely something to be proud of!

I understand the lack of confidence; it's hard to share this type of dream when you feel you don't have any physical evidence that it's something you could succeed at. Part of us feels like it's a pipe dream, and we don't want others to see it that way, we want them to take it seriously, so we just conceal it.

But I think that rejection right there is physical evidence of potential. That agent didn't have to give you a reason, but they spent some precious time telling you why they aren't the right agent for you, and letting you know that there's someone out there who is. The trick is finding them.

And, personally, the more people I started revealing my dream to, the better I felt about it. I'm proud of what I want, and others should know it :)

Hang in there, you're on the right track!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed three different books in a matter of two years to the same agent. My dream agent. All of his rejections were the standard thanks but no thanks form letters, but in his last rejection, he hand wrote that I was getting closer

Which is about as helpful as telling the person who is suffocating that he is getting closer to oxygen.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Which is about as helpful as telling the person who is suffocating that he is getting closer to oxygen.

It seems to me that telling a person who's suffocating that he's getting closer to oxygen is extremely helpful. It's sure better than not telling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.