multiple submissions on fulls

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has already been asked and answered, but my searches aren't turning anything up, so here goes.

I just got a request for a full today (squee), which is great. I already have another one out, though, so I'm wondering about the etiquette- do I mention to the second agent that this is a multiple submission? Do I say something to the first agent (I didn't mention it when I sent it to her, because, frankly, it didn't occur to me)? Am I just being stupid?

Neither of them has asked for an exclusive, so I don't think it's a problem, I just want to make sure I don't step on any toes. Do I mention it or not bother?

Thanks!

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
I'd mention it to the new agent (it always feels weird, like you're bragging or something, but they usually appreciate the heads up).

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to tell the first agent you've been asked for another full though. You should only contact them again when it's safe to status query (3 months) or if you get an offer of representation from someone else.

But speaking from limited experience the words "I currently have 8 fulls out with other agents" seems to be a good motivator :)

Congrats on the full :)

I'm sure this has already been asked and answered, but my searches aren't turning anything up, so here goes.

I just got a request for a full today (squee), which is great. I already have another one out, though, so I'm wondering about the etiquette- do I mention to the second agent that this is a multiple submission? Do I say something to the first agent (I didn't mention it when I sent it to her, because, frankly, it didn't occur to me)? Am I just being stupid?

Neither of them has asked for an exclusive, so I don't think it's a problem, I just want to make sure I don't step on any toes. Do I mention it or not bother?

Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Your searches probably didn't turn up anything because you're talking about simultaneous submissions, not multiple. I.e., one MS to more than one place simultaneously (as opposed to multiple MSS to one place, which is what a multiple submission is).

All that said, there's no need to mention it unless there's exclusives in the equation. :)

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!!

Your searches probably didn't turn up anything because you're talking about simultaneous submissions, not multiple.
Ah, see, I came to the right place, then. Thanks for letting me know!

Kristoff--Good luck with your 9 fulls (how are you sleeping at night?). I'm just glad anyone wants to see mine at all; I think I spent longer writing the damned query than I did writing the first draft of the book. Hopefully I will be able to land an agent so I don't have to do that again ;).

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Kristoff--Good luck with your 9 fulls (how are you sleeping at night?).

With the aid of much bourbon (it's medicinal)

I'm just glad anyone wants to see mine at all; I think I spent longer writing the damned query than I did writing the first draft of the book.

Two full requests is a great start, you've done something right :)

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
No need. If they don't ask for it as exclusive, they understand it may not be.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, many agents will ask if anyone else is reading pages when they request a full. Should that happen, I think that telling them is the right thing to do. If they're enthusiastic, it will probably get them to move faster rather than toss the ms into a pile. That can also result in quick rejections, but at least you know where you stand. But, as the others said, unless they request an exclusive, you are under no obligation to divulge.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
In researching agents, I found a few who want to be notified right away if the submissions are simultaneous. Another wants a full submission history when querying to them. If you are not sure, the best bet would be take a quick peek at both the agent's submission guidelines.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If they want to be told, tell them. Honestly really is the best policy.

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I now have two partials out in addition to the two fulls, and only one of the four asked for an exclusive (which I obviously couldn't give her).

I'm still at the point where I don't believe anything will come of this, but it sure makes checking my email more exciting!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
When asked for exclusives, I just told the agents where I stood (agents already reading pages) and asked if I could send what they'd requested if the other agents didn't pan out. Never had a problem with that.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When asked for exclusives, I just told the agents where I stood (agents already reading pages) and asked if I could send what they'd requested if the other agents didn't pan out. Never had a problem with that.
What I would do is to mention that you can't offer her an exclusive because of the other agents, but attach the requested materials and say that if she still wants to read it, here it is. I've never had an agent say no to this and it avoids having an exclusive (which is a good thing to avoid) in the end.

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
What I would do is to mention that you can't offer her an exclusive because of the other agents, but attach the requested materials and say that if she still wants to read it, here it is. I've never had an agent say no to this and it avoids having an exclusive (which is a good thing to avoid) in the end.

Thanks, Sage. This is exactly what I did, and she didn't seem to mind.