Do You Listen to Music While Writing a Sex Scene?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Another thread was talking about things that get you in the mood for writing. Whenever I'm doing a bondage scen in my paranormal erotica that I'm working on, I always play Nine Inch Nails on my iPod. For those unfamiliar, its a very hard industrial band with lots of synthetic music. Dark and powerful, it really puts me in the mood for some good D/s play. :D

When I'm writing a nookie scene for my historical romance I put on Enigma. Nice and soothing, lots of eye contact and emotions involved. It's a Western historical, but for some reason country music just doesn't move me to write good sex. ;)

What music inspires you?

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I listen to music when I write any kind of scene. *lol* But I will switch play lists sometimes for nookie scenes. Enigma is a good one for a deeply sensual scene. NIN has never appealed to me, but I can understand why it might inspire ones muse! For a hardcore "screw my brains out" scene... Buckcherry works. *lol* I also listen to the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans for some scenes. Hmmm... too many to list. My muscial tastes run the board and are all over the place. Lots of foreign music too.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I own both NIN and a little Enigma, I don't play specific music to get me in the mood for a certain kind of scene I'm writing.

Usually I write in silence, but if there's noise which is breaking my concentration, I play background-y music, which I stop hearing after a very short time, so it doesn't really need to play into what I'm writing at all.

I'm surprised by the many writers who can proceed with musical selections that have lyrics. (I'd be writing the lyrics in no time, I imagine.) It seems to be at least somewhat generational--both our kids (young adults) can do pretty much anything with music playing, while both their parents cannot deal with vocals when they're using the word-management part of their brains. (Well, maybe vocals in a language they don't understand.)

But hey, what works for you works, so stick with it, right?

Maryn, who made her son a NIN bedspread one year, black with silver lettering

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
I listen to a lot of Explosions in the Sky & Interpol. EitS is instrumental so it gets me through a lot.. Interpol has really sexy lyrics to me, so that helps too. :D

Jax3683

writing around the edges of life
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music when I write any kind of scene. *lol* But I will switch play lists sometimes for nookie scenes. Enigma is a good one for a deeply sensual scene. NIN has never appealed to me, but I can understand why it might inspire ones muse! For a hardcore "screw my brains out" scene... Buckcherry works. *lol* I also listen to the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans for some scenes. Hmmm... too many to list. My muscial tastes run the board and are all over the place. Lots of foreign music too.

I have only had a few sex scenes, but I have to say I prefer Buckcherry for those "Screw my brains out" scenes as well!

(Maybe I should pass that tip on to my husband **giggle** )

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't listen to music at all while I write sex scenes; I find it offputting. But then I find it so for the act itself, so that's no surprise, lol. I'll never forget lying there, desperately trying to block out a Stewie and Bryan duet from Family Guy -- all I wanted was to lose myself but my brain said, noooo! Sing along!

If I was to put music on, it'd be Ghosts by Sinead Donaghy; possibly the sexist song ever. It's the slow, drudging rhythm of it and the layers within the melodies/words.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm laughing out loud at the Nooo! Sing along! line.

I remember having sex with Mr. Maryn while the TV was on, one time, and he became mightily annoyed when I laughed at something a character said. Not conducive to ecstasy, right?

Maryn, who had to try four times to spell conducive

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Meh...since having my daughter, I can't spell "neccessary." It's humiliating, I used to be such a word Nazi. Babies do not grow new braincells -- they steal yours while in utero!

Also now have Bloodhound Gang on repeat in my head: "...and we can do it doggy style so we can both watch X Files." Such classy boys.

Paradox

Registered
Reaction score
I play Portishead quite a bit for the more sensual scenes. If it's historical, I try to play something contemporary with the period. Last night, it was a slow Duke Ellington tune for a 1920's cabaret scene.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Here's some from my "In the Mood" playlist

• In Sumerian Haze - Sirenia
  • Dilruba - Niyaz
  • Ishq - Niyaz
  • Requiem - Mozart
  • Principles of Lust - Enigma
  • Sadeness part one - Enigma
  • Wont see you tonight - Avenged Sevenfold
  • All of my love - Led Zeppelin
  • Ghost Love Score - Nightwish
  • I Feel Love - Donna Summer
  • Still of the Night - Whitesnake
  • Into the Night - Benny Mardones
  • In the Dark - Billy Squier
  • I Drove All Night - Cyndi Lauper
  • As the Rush Comes - Motorcycle
  • Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Music distracts me when I'm actually trying to write or work at my day job. I might listen while I'm goofing off or getting ready to write, but I can't have it on when I'm actually putting words down.

Just me.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
You meant Siobhan Donaghy, right? I love that tune!!! It definitely has the right rhythm for thump thump!

Yes! You know, I retyped her name about three times, thinking, that doesn't look right but I can't be arsed googling. Lol.

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, the deep thudding bass drums and droning guitars in death metal help me immensely.

Something about Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Blotted Science, etc. just makes writing so much easier. It's droning and since the lyrics aren't immediately sing-a-longs, it makes it easier to block it out.

Even the sensual scenes manage to come out well-done with that going on...

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
haha, I totally do listen to evocative music. I had one scene where a character shoves the guy up against the wall of a lift and makes out with him, prior to them almost running to get to a bedroom.

I use some strange ones, like

Is you is or Is you Aint my baby remixed by verve, and of course Barry W comes up occassionally. As does Marvin Gaye :D

nevealane

Snow and Sex is what I know
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nevealane.wordpress.com
I usually write with a que of about 300 songs, it usually depends on what 'type' of sex scene I am writing. If it is one of those scenes where the sexual tension is so thick and it is about to explode, then I usually go for Portishead, Lupe Fiasco, or Sia... something with a Latin flare usually. If it something paranormal, I usually go for Eminem, crazy I know, but it works. And for the lovers love scene, a romantic scene, I go with Anita Baker, Luther Vandross, Marvin Gay like Miss Macchiato said, or something similar.
I will typically post a playlist on my website after I get done writing a particular scene just because I like to share with my readers what I was listening to as I wrote.

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
While music can get me in the zone for certain scenes, especially emotional ones, before I write—I can't listen while I write. I just can't seem to concentrate as my brain wants to focus on both at the same time.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't listen to music when I am writing, but if I do, it is whatever I am in the mood for, not something that inspires the kind of scene I am writing.

But I am going to google BuckCherry right now.