PDA

View Full Version : Kate Mosse's Top Ten Ghost Stories

gothicangel
10-27-2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/27/kate-mosse-top-10-ghost-stories

Feel free to add your own favourites.

My choice is: The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson.

blacbird
10-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Good list, haven't read some of these. Myself, I'd replace Wharton's "Bewitched" with her "Afterward". And I'm a little disappointed that no story by Oliver Onions made her list, but it was a ten-and-no-more-than-ten list, so some things had to fall aside.

Phaeal
10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Throwing in some E. F. Benson, in particular, "How Fear Departed the Long Gallery." And "Caterpillars."

M. R. James. Can't go wrong, but I'll throw in "Number 13" and "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad." To be nitpicky, Mosse's James pick isn't a ghost story, but one of his inimitable demon stories.

H. P. Lovecraft. A neat little story called "In the Vault." And the more expansive "The Shunned House."

If we're venturing into novels, I'm partial to King's The Shining and Straub's Ghost Story. Hill House goes without saying. It wears the crown.

gothicangel
10-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Throwing in some E. F. Benson, in particular, "How Fear Departed the Long Gallery." And "Caterpillars."

M. R. James. Can't go wrong, but I'll throw in "Number 13" and "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad." To be nitpicky, Mosse's James pick isn't a ghost story, but one of his inimitable demon stories.

H. P. Lovecraft. A neat little story called "In the Vault." And the more expansive "The Shunned House."

If we're venturing into novels, I'm partial to King's The Shining and Straub's Ghost Story. Hill House goes without saying. It wears the crown.

You should try Adam Nevill's Apartment 16.

Phaeal
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Will do! :D