PDA

View Full Version : Beta Reader for YA Post-Apoc Fantasy

Rebecca_Rogers
10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm not getting the feedback I'd like to receive from my usual betas, and they're thinning out as a result. So, I figured I'd turn to this forum.

My book is currently sitting at approximately 65,000 words. Here's the query letter for the premise:

In the New World, people donít wish on stars, they run from them.

After seventeen-year-old Andrinaís home is demolished by meteors, she encourages her family to relocate to Legora, one of the few remaining cities that promise a new life to weary travelers. But Legoraís food and supplies are in shortageótoo many refugees have sought protection behind its gatesóand the only option is to appeal to the King of the New World for provisions. When the town assembles a lottery to choose who will plea to the king, Andrina holds the ill-fated ticket.

Her arrival in Valyad, the royal territory, sparks intrigue from King Zarek. Andrina canít imagine herself acting like the other girls, who flounce after Zarekís affection and money, but she considers giving in to her flirty side if itíll guarantee that her family is fed. So when Zarek leaves Andrina with a bitter decisionómarry him or heíll strip Legora of its suppliesóshe has no choice but to accept being Queen of the New World.

Soon, though, Andrina uncovers that Valyad is smothered in deceit. Days after their wedding, Zarek is found stabbed to death and all fingers point to Andrina. Betrayed by Valyadís governor, who wants the crown for himself, Andrina learns that itís the people who will cast a vote on her fate; people who donít want a commoner operating their kingdom. She must not only convince Valyad that their king didnít die by her hand, but also outsmart the sly politicians of the realm with a surprise they canít outrun.

I've already sent the second draft to my current betas, but I think I'm going to need a couple more opinions. I like constructive feedback. This is the problem I've had lately--betas are harsh to the point of being mean. That's not what I'm looking for. I also don't expect anyone to say: skljfdosijfsl zomg this is liek the best thang eVARR.

I need overall crit. Line edits aren't something I'm worried about right now. I just want to make sure the big picture stuff is working. Feel free to PM or rep me on here if you're interested. :)

P.S. -- If you have less than 100 posts on this site, I'm not sending my work to you. Just a heads up.

ChronicSelfEditor
10-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Good luck finding what you need. I was going to respond til I got to your last line.

Rebecca_Rogers
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
But you have more than 100 posts... lol

I'm just leery of people who come in here with five posts to their name and want to see your work. That's why I said that. :)

thelastwordsmith
10-26-2010, 10:13 PM
What if the crit has 6 posts to his/her name?

Rebecca_Rogers
10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
xD

No.

The Kidd
10-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Can't blame you Rebecca. It is a 'safe' thing guys not a holier than thou.

Snappy
10-26-2010, 11:10 PM
You're story sounds interesting. I have less than the required posts since I'm a newbie on AW. But, if you don't get the interest you need, and change your mind, I'd be happy to take a look. :)

Rebecca_Rogers
10-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Can't blame you Rebecca. It is a 'safe' thing guys not a holier than thou.

THIS^

I'm not trying to be bitchy about it, just guarding my work.

You're story sounds interesting. I have less than the required posts since I'm a newbie on AW. But, if you don't get the interest you need, and change your mind, I'd be happy to take a look. :)

Thanks! :)

Rowan
10-27-2010, 04:41 AM
I agree with your caution, Rebecca, and think it's a good approach. Back when I was a beta, people with 0 posts used to PM me requesting a beta reader! "Drive by beta requests" = not cool.

For me personally, it helps if someone has been around AW for a while, because you get to "know" other writers via their posts. I would (and have) asked the same thing when seeking beta readers/critique partners. So in short, it's not meant as an insult but just as a precaution. :)

Rebecca_Rogers
10-27-2010, 05:13 AM
You said it better than me, Rowan. :) I think some people are naive to think their work will never be copied/stolen. And, like you said, I've seen too many people with 1 or 2 posts reply to threads in here. Kinda freaks me out. :/

_Sian_
10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
:hi:

Can't tell how many posts I have exactly as I'm writing this, but I'm pretty sure it's over 300. Or at least, it was last time I checked.

So. I would love to read your story. I have a current WIP, but I'm revising, so rather than the general swap/swap, I could beta your piece (if you decide you want me that is), and when I'm finished with revision you could beta mine (if you're not too busy/like my story enough to take the time/don't throw it across the room in frustration. This is not a binding contract :) )

It sounds interesting. I like post aco fantasy, especially considering yours sounds like it's set in space :D

Rep/PM me if it sounds good to you. Otherwise, feel free to ignore me and continue your search :D

Rebecca_Rogers
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
:D

Herman Munster
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
But you have more than 100 posts... lol

I'm just leery of people who come in here with five posts to their name and want to see your work. That's why I said that. :)

Do you know how I got the best critters in the business?
Of course not!
I only have 4 posts on my other 37 logins for that very reason!

To be well crit'd, it is best to be a good critter!
People in your genre will understand the point of the work b4 they start to read. That is a huge advantage. Plus, if you have crit's their work, they will know what standard your writing skill is up to.

It is so often very difficult to crit someone else's work FAIRLY or the way they want it done, without first knowing them, a little, at least.
Even posting crit'ing parameters with the work doesn't always work or convey what you really want.

Show, don't tell!

Rebecca_Rogers
10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
:Huh:

Herman Munster
10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I am 50.
Wanna toos it to me?

Frankly the the genre title scares the crap outa me, but I will give it a go if you are desperate! <GRIN>

New Sig too.
I am fed up with quoting idiots, so I quoted myself!

inkspatters
10-28-2010, 09:20 AM
:Huh:

I second this, lol.

If you still need a readers, I can probably help you out after my exams finish November 2nd. I'm sure I've critted for you before, but just in case -- I'm quite critical, but more in a I'm-throwing-stuff-out-to-help-you rather than just harsh, way :)