My dad's turning the big 5-0...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
And I don't know what to get him! He turns 50 next Thursday - I know, kind of late notice - but it's ok if it's a little belated.

Help! We're pretty close, so I want to make this special.

An engraved watch, maybe...? (he always wears one)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of things does he like? What activities? What about something special like a big composite of family photos to hang on the wall? We did something like that for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
50!
holy crap.

people live that long?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
That's a tricky one because my other siblings aren't as close and rarely talk to him or visit.

He likes to read. He loves his motorcycle. He likes wine. He's pretty active in his church.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of those Leatherman tools.

A fine wine (something 50 years old?).

A newspaper from the date he was born.

A new motorcycle helmet.

A power washer or a car care kit?

Tools! Guys love tools.

For a gag gift, you could get him an AARP membership . . . or burial insurance. ;-)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
One of those Leatherman tools.

A fine wine (something 50 years old?).

A newspaper from the date he was born.

A new motorcycle helmet.

A power washer or a car care kit?

Tools! Guys love tools.

For a gag gift, you could get him an AARP membership . . . or burial insurance. ;-)

Tools...that's true. And due to my hubby's expertise, he'll know what's good to get.

I like the gag gift idea...and the 50 year old wine. That's a really cool idea.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, we could suggest LOTS of gag gifts.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just googled 50-yr bday, and there are a lot of fun gag gifts out there!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever you get him as a material gift, include some kind of note telling him how much he means to you, and has meant to you as a father. After that, whatever you get him as a gift will be secondary and piggybacked on that previous greater gift of stated love and appreciation.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of tools. You can actually have them engraved with a special message. That way he can think of you whenever he uses them.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of tools. You can actually have them engraved with a special message. That way he can think of you whenever he uses them.

Hmmm...true. That's what I did for my hubby for his wedding gift (only it was a really great filet knife)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Make dear ol'dad a home made cake. There's pleanty of them on Paula Dean's site. Yum, ya'll! For some reason us ol'folks love a home made cake on our birthdays. Paula Dean's recipees'll knock yer socks off!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea of wine bottled the year he was born. And NeuroFizz's idea rocks.

Maryn, who all of a sudden wants wine

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend bought me a "Queen of De Nile" t-shirt for my 50th. I wore it working out at the rink that year...the same year I pulverized my sad little L5-S1 disc landing double-lutzes on my tush. Oh the irony.

"King of De Nile" works, too...with a picture of a Pharoah instead of Cleopatra. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I like the 50 year old wine idea.

Meanwhile, my dad is now 62. For his 60th, *three* people bought him gag gift walking sticks with a beer holder attached to it and a bell to ring when you need a top up. It was new that year (I think) and people apparently thought he'd love it. He used 1 of them for about a week afterwards (he doesn't need a walking stick usually) and then they all disappeared into the bowels of his wardrobe.

Of course, nobody could top the gift he gave himself for his 60th - he got married that night on a river boat. The only people who knew he was getting married were him and my now-step-mum, and me, my sis and step-sis were told the day before. Step-mum had organised for all of their friends to come up for dad's 60th for a surprise party (which he knew about) and they all showed up on the day, and me, sis and step-sis were getting people drinks trying not to laugh about how they thought they were surprising dad, but he was actually going to get married and nobody knew. :D The riverboat was where we were all lying in wait, even though dad knew we were there (though the guests didn't know that) and my favourite moment of the whole night was my already-tipsy step-sis, sitting with me and sis on the roof of the boat, spying dad and step-mum approaching and she yells out to us, "Duck down so they don't see us!" Sis is like, "Umm, they know we're here." LOL. :D

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net

Helps against theft, too...

I'm way past 50, but I think I remember my party. I know I remember the wine.

Here's a site with 1960 wines for sale - it ain't cheap.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/-/1960

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the 50 year old wine idea.

Meanwhile, my dad is now 62. For his 60th, *three* people bought him gag gift walking sticks with a beer holder attached to it and a bell to ring when you need a top up. It was new that year (I think) and people apparently thought he'd love it. He used 1 of them for about a week afterwards (he doesn't need a walking stick usually) and then they all disappeared into the bowels of his wardrobe.

Of course, nobody could top the gift he gave himself for his 60th - he got married that night on a river boat. The only people who knew he was getting married were him and my now-step-mum, and me, my sis and step-sis were told the day before. Step-mum had organised for all of their friends to come up for dad's 60th for a surprise party (which he knew about) and they all showed up on the day, and me, sis and step-sis were getting people drinks trying not to laugh about how they thought they were surprising dad, but he was actually going to get married and nobody knew. :D The riverboat was where we were all lying in wait, even though dad knew we were there (though the guests didn't know that) and my favourite moment of the whole night was my already-tipsy step-sis, sitting with me and sis on the roof of the boat, spying dad and step-mum approaching and she yells out to us, "Duck down so they don't see us!" Sis is like, "Umm, they know we're here." LOL. :D

That is such a great story! Thanks for sharing that. It made me smile. Your dad and step-family sound great!

Here's a site with 1960 wines for sale - it ain't cheap.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/-/1960

Thanks, I'll check it out. And no, I knew it wouldn't be cheap. But 50's a big one!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
For my 50th, my family gave me the money so that I could go to Penn Yan. :D

My friend's sisters and mother and female in-laws are taking her on a women-only cruise in the Caribbean for two weeks for her 50th.