PDA

View Full Version : How can I get around this?

TrixieBelden
09-25-2005, 11:05 PM
While researching other books similiar to mine on Amazon, it seems that there havent really been any with better than lackluster sales. This is not good for me.
How can I get around this in a query letter?
Is there a way I can check and see how much a book has made in sales?

So I can say ~ "My book is similiar to blah-blah which netted over $250,000 in sales last year."

Something like that.

TashaGoddard
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't think there is a definite way to find out how much money any book made, unfortunately. However, what you need to do in your query is to tell them why your book is much better than competition. Tell them how it will appeal to a wider market. Tell them what it has in it that the competition doesn't include. And so on.

That's assuming, of course, that it is better! If it's not, then you'll need to try to work out how to make it better. Or come up with another book that would have better sales potential, perhaps?

Good luck!

Lauri B
09-26-2005, 07:55 PM
While researching other books similiar to mine on Amazon, it seems that there havent really been any with better than lackluster sales. This is not good for me.
How can I get around this in a query letter?
Is there a way I can check and see how much a book has made in sales?

So I can say ~ "My book is similiar to blah-blah which netted over $250,000 in sales last year."

Something like that.

Amazon isn't a great indicator of how a book is selling overall, and publishers know that. I would be more interested in knowing what's out there and why your book is different from the books to which you are comparing yours.

TrixieBelden
09-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks, much needed advice!!