The Big Fat Greek Thread

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I came across a couple of threads that needed help with Greek.

I haven't really seen any other Greeks here, but what the hell, I'll just start the thread in case more people with more questions come up, or there are other Greeks hiding around in AW.

Αυτά που λέτε.

:D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an adopted Greek, if that can count :D We have a great Greek community here, the most fabulous women from the Church, and nearly every restaurant I go to is Greek owned and run (ah, except for Mexican, Cuban, etc).

I wish I could speak it. It's often all I hear. Too hard! Way too hard :)

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Sure it counts! :Hug2:

I'm Greek but live in the UK. I'm a very britonalised version of a Greek actually :D.

I go home (although I also see UK as home) about three times a year to see my family and enjoy all that yummy food and the weather.

Are you in the US then?

:)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Greece 3 times a year sounds so lovely, I can't describe it :) I've never been.

I'm in NC in the States. Some Greek folks immigrated to my town ages ago, and now half their town in Greece lives here. Well, maybe not half, but word got out that you should move here :) So now we get so many folks from Baltimore, New York, etc.

Everybody loves the Greeks festivals. Everybody. That's when the best unusual family recipes get pulled out, too. OMG :)

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Greece 3 times a year sounds so lovely, I can't describe it :) I've never been.

I'm in NC in the States. Some Greek folks immigrated to my town ages ago, and now half their town in Greece lives here. Well, maybe not half, but word got out that you should move here :) So now we get so many folks from Baltimore, New York, etc.

Everybody loves the Greeks festivals. Everybody. That's when the best unusual family recipes get pulled out, too. OMG :)

It is great indeed. Actually, I consider myself really lucky to be able to live in both the UK and Greece, as they combine very different aspects of life indeed.

My WIP deals with immigration too (surprise surprise), although its not its main theme.

With the country's present economy I'm surprised there hasn't been a new wave of immigration though. :tongue

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming on to say part of me is glad this thread isn't in greek, so I can follow along the discussion (which I'm enjoying).

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Just chiming on to say part of me is glad this thread isn't in greek, so I can follow along the discussion (which I'm enjoying).

Oh, definitely. Even if more Greek speakers showed up, I'd still want to keep this in English-- or in both languages really.

It's not fun not to have anybody to share your experiences with anyway.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Greek people, seeing as how my favourite hang out (a local coffee shop) is owned by a Greek family who are always so nice to me. And the daughter is HOT! Or she might be a cousin... I'm a little fuzzy on the lines of relation. But I do know there's an Aussie girl there who married one of the owners, and has now had his second baby (and thus is taking time off from working there).

So yeah, go Greeks!

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Greek people, seeing as how my favourite hang out (a local coffee shop) is owned by a Greek family who are always so nice to me. And the daughter is HOT! Or she might be a cousin... I'm a little fuzzy on the lines of relation. But I do know there's an Aussie girl there who married one of the owners, and has now had his second baby (and thus is taking time off from working there).

So yeah, go Greeks!

:kiss: We love you too, Cliff Face. :e2flowers:e2flowers:e2flowers

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Well done, guys! One of the ladies in my crit group is native Greek - I should get my crew in on this! It's a beautiful language, yet another one I am clueless about though.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, guys! One of the ladies in my crit group is native Greek - I should get my crew in on this! It's a beautiful language, yet another one I am clueless about though.

Yes, please. The more the merrier.

Don't feel too bad about not speaking Greek though. I learned it with the ease any child learns their mother tongue, but for a second language, it's quite difficult. Although once you've grasped the fundamentals of grammar and syntax, any other Western language will be easy to learn. My mother used to teach Greek to foreign people that came to study in the Greek Universities (she's now retired), and she always had wonderful stories to tell us on how a Brit, an Arab, an Albanian, a Turk, a Chinese spoke of the language, and compared it to their own.

Our living room was also full of presents from all around the world :D. Guess she must have been a really good teacher, because people would ask to be in her class. She's written about 25 didactic books as well (sorry if this sounds like bragging, it's not meant to be. I just really look up to her).

Last edited:

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Γεια σου, Μαριλένα!

Καλωσήρθες στο AW! Ό,τι χρειαστείς είμαστε εδώ να βοηθήσουμε.

Κι εγώ χαίρομαι που βλέπω άλλη μια ελληνίδα στο φόρουμ!

Hello Marilena!

Welcome to AW! We're here to help you with anything you may need.

I'm also glad to see another Greek joining the forum!

Marilena

Illustrator - Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marilenamexi.eu
whimsical rabbit Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υποδοχή! το φόρουμ είναι υπέροχο, με έχει βοηθήσει πάρα πολύ, χαίρομαι που υπάρχουν και άλλοι Έλληνες εδώ, είμαι νέα στο φορουμ εαν θέλεις τσέκαρε το thread που άνοιξα, θα χαρώ να ακούσω την γνώμη σας.

Thank you very much my friend, the AW forum it's great, it's very helpful.
Here you can check my first thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195524 I can't wait for your opinion!

M.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
whimsical rabbit Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υποδοχή! το φόρουμ είναι υπέροχο, με έχει βοηθήσει πάρα πολύ, χαίρομαι που υπάρχουν και άλλοι Έλληνες εδώ, είμαι νέα στο φορουμ εαν θέλεις τσέκαρε το thread που άνοιξα, θα χαρώ να ακούσω την γνώμη σας.

Thank you very much my friend, the AW forum it's great, it's very helpful.
Here you can check my first thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195524 I can't wait for your opinion!

M.

I've just posted on your thread. You've had an interesting journey so far. Don't worry, it's all part of the game. And here, you'll get great help and advice.

I also just visited your blog and saw your illustrations, they're awesome! I'm impressed!

Αν χρειαστείς γενικά οποιαδήποτε βοήθεια να μου πεις. Στείλε μου πμ ή οτιδήποτε.

Marilena

Illustrator - Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marilenamexi.eu
whimsical rabbit Thank you so much for your kind words about my illustrations, also thank you for everything!

Πραγματικά σε ευχαριστώ για την τέλεια υποδοχή! εννοείται πως αν χρειαστώ κάτι θα σου στείλω, για την ώρα έχω χαθεί στο forum, είναι απίστευτο οτι υπάρχουν άπειρα threads για όλα τα θέματα που με απασχολούν.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I am not Greek, nor do I speak the language, but I have visited Greece (4 islands across 4 days, and a very brief touch down in Athens...would LOVE to spend more time there someday).

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop in and mention that as of today, I have decided to change my University goals.

I was going to study a Major in Italian and a Minor in Creative Writing.
Now I'm thinking I might do an Extended Major in Italian and an Ordinary Major in Modern Greek (so, a double major).

This is possible through doing a language degree instead of doing an Arts degree (I could still study Italian in an Arts degree). I just checked out my local Uni's site, and it is possible to do... I'd be doing Beginners in both languages... it's been a while since I learnt Italian at High School, so I don't want to jump right into the Advanced stuff, and I've never learnt a single word of Greek in my life, except for the ancient deities' names.

But why have I suddenly decided I want to learn Greek as well?

Basically, I'd love to travel to Greece and visit all the old ruins and have a fun old time, second as a travel destination only to Italy. But I'm the sort of person who doesn't want to show up in a foreign country and expect everyone to speak English.

Hence, I'm seriously considering doing a double major to include Greek into the mix. I'll still have a couple of subjects free to choose from anything in the Arts department.

It should be interesting. :)