PDA

View Full Version : The Big Fat Greek Thread

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Okay, I came across a couple of threads that needed help with Greek.

I haven't really seen any other Greeks here, but what the hell, I'll just start the thread in case more people with more questions come up, or there are other Greeks hiding around in AW.

Αυτά που λέτε.

:D

backslashbaby
10-25-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm an adopted Greek, if that can count :D We have a great Greek community here, the most fabulous women from the Church, and nearly every restaurant I go to is Greek owned and run (ah, except for Mexican, Cuban, etc).

I wish I could speak it. It's often all I hear. Too hard! Way too hard :)

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Sure it counts! :Hug2:

I'm Greek but live in the UK. I'm a very britonalised version of a Greek actually :D.

I go home (although I also see UK as home) about three times a year to see my family and enjoy all that yummy food and the weather.

Are you in the US then?

:)

backslashbaby
10-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Greece 3 times a year sounds so lovely, I can't describe it :) I've never been.

I'm in NC in the States. Some Greek folks immigrated to my town ages ago, and now half their town in Greece lives here. Well, maybe not half, but word got out that you should move here :) So now we get so many folks from Baltimore, New York, etc.

Everybody loves the Greeks festivals. Everybody. That's when the best unusual family recipes get pulled out, too. OMG :)

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Greece 3 times a year sounds so lovely, I can't describe it :) I've never been.

I'm in NC in the States. Some Greek folks immigrated to my town ages ago, and now half their town in Greece lives here. Well, maybe not half, but word got out that you should move here :) So now we get so many folks from Baltimore, New York, etc.

Everybody loves the Greeks festivals. Everybody. That's when the best unusual family recipes get pulled out, too. OMG :)

It is great indeed. Actually, I consider myself really lucky to be able to live in both the UK and Greece, as they combine very different aspects of life indeed.

My WIP deals with immigration too (surprise surprise), although its not its main theme.

With the country's present economy I'm surprised there hasn't been a new wave of immigration though. :tongue

SaraP
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Just chiming on to say part of me is glad this thread isn't in greek, so I can follow along the discussion (which I'm enjoying).

whimsical rabbit
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Just chiming on to say part of me is glad this thread isn't in greek, so I can follow along the discussion (which I'm enjoying).

Oh, definitely. Even if more Greek speakers showed up, I'd still want to keep this in English-- or in both languages really.

It's not fun not to have anybody to share your experiences with anyway.

Cliff Face
10-26-2010, 02:41 AM
I have a soft spot for Greek people, seeing as how my favourite hang out (a local coffee shop) is owned by a Greek family who are always so nice to me. And the daughter is HOT! Or she might be a cousin... I'm a little fuzzy on the lines of relation. But I do know there's an Aussie girl there who married one of the owners, and has now had his second baby (and thus is taking time off from working there).

So yeah, go Greeks!

whimsical rabbit
10-26-2010, 02:44 AM
I have a soft spot for Greek people, seeing as how my favourite hang out (a local coffee shop) is owned by a Greek family who are always so nice to me. And the daughter is HOT! Or she might be a cousin... I'm a little fuzzy on the lines of relation. But I do know there's an Aussie girl there who married one of the owners, and has now had his second baby (and thus is taking time off from working there).

So yeah, go Greeks!

:kiss: We love you too, Cliff Face. :e2flowers:e2flowers:e2flowers

mario_c
10-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Well done, guys! One of the ladies in my crit group is native Greek - I should get my crew in on this! It's a beautiful language, yet another one I am clueless about though.

whimsical rabbit
10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Well done, guys! One of the ladies in my crit group is native Greek - I should get my crew in on this! It's a beautiful language, yet another one I am clueless about though.

Yes, please. The more the merrier.

Don't feel too bad about not speaking Greek though. I learned it with the ease any child learns their mother tongue, but for a second language, it's quite difficult. Although once you've grasped the fundamentals of grammar and syntax, any other Western language will be easy to learn. My mother used to teach Greek to foreign people that came to study in the Greek Universities (she's now retired), and she always had wonderful stories to tell us on how a Brit, an Arab, an Albanian, a Turk, a Chinese spoke of the language, and compared it to their own.

Our living room was also full of presents from all around the world :D. Guess she must have been a really good teacher, because people would ask to be in her class. She's written about 25 didactic books as well (sorry if this sounds like bragging, it's not meant to be. I just really look up to her).

Marilena
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Hello there,
Nice to see Greek people here! I'm Greek too and Newbie here!

SaraP
11-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Welcome to AW Marilena. :welcome:

Marilena
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome to AW Marilena. :welcome:

aw thank you SaraP (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=38295), nice to meet you!:)

whimsical rabbit
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Γεια σου, Μαριλένα!

Καλωσήρθες στο AW! Ό,τι χρειαστείς είμαστε εδώ να βοηθήσουμε.

Κι εγώ χαίρομαι που βλέπω άλλη μια ελληνίδα στο φόρουμ!

Hello Marilena!

Welcome to AW! We're here to help you with anything you may need.

I'm also glad to see another Greek joining the forum!

Marilena
11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
whimsical rabbit (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=39168) Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υποδοχή! το φόρουμ είναι υπέροχο, με έχει βοηθήσει πάρα πολύ, χαίρομαι που υπάρχουν και άλλοι Έλληνες εδώ, είμαι νέα στο φορουμ εαν θέλεις τσέκαρε το thread που άνοιξα, θα χαρώ να ακούσω την γνώμη σας.

Thank you very much my friend, the AW forum it's great, it's very helpful.
Here you can check my first thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195524 I can't wait for your opinion!

M.

whimsical rabbit
11-02-2010, 01:42 AM
whimsical rabbit (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=39168) Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υποδοχή! το φόρουμ είναι υπέροχο, με έχει βοηθήσει πάρα πολύ, χαίρομαι που υπάρχουν και άλλοι Έλληνες εδώ, είμαι νέα στο φορουμ εαν θέλεις τσέκαρε το thread που άνοιξα, θα χαρώ να ακούσω την γνώμη σας.

Thank you very much my friend, the AW forum it's great, it's very helpful.
Here you can check my first thread http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195524 I can't wait for your opinion!

M.

I've just posted on your thread. You've had an interesting journey so far. Don't worry, it's all part of the game. And here, you'll get great help and advice.

I also just visited your blog and saw your illustrations, they're awesome! I'm impressed!

Αν χρειαστείς γενικά οποιαδήποτε βοήθεια να μου πεις. Στείλε μου πμ ή οτιδήποτε.

Marilena
11-02-2010, 01:55 AM
whimsical rabbit (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=39168) Thank you so much for your kind words about my illustrations, also thank you for everything!

Πραγματικά σε ευχαριστώ για την τέλεια υποδοχή! εννοείται πως αν χρειαστώ κάτι θα σου στείλω, για την ώρα έχω χαθεί στο forum, είναι απίστευτο οτι υπάρχουν άπειρα threads για όλα τα θέματα που με απασχολούν.

whimsical rabbit
11-02-2010, 01:56 AM
The illustrations are awesome.

I'm sure you'll find a publisher/agent sooner or later. ;)

Marilena
11-02-2010, 02:10 AM
The illustrations are awesome.

I'm sure you'll find a publisher/agent sooner or later. ;)

Thank you so much my friend!:Hug2:

whimsical rabbit
11-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Thank you so much my friend!:Hug2:

:kiss:

(We Greeks tend to be effusive and extremely hearty. When we don't shout at each other in the middle of heavy traffic that is. :D)

SaraP
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Nudge (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5560889&postcount=103). :D

whimsical rabbit
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Done. :D

yoghurtelf
12-14-2010, 08:22 AM
I am not Greek, nor do I speak the language, but I have visited Greece (4 islands across 4 days, and a very brief touch down in Athens...would LOVE to spend more time there someday).

Cliff Face
12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Just thought I'd drop in and mention that as of today, I have decided to change my University goals.

I was going to study a Major in Italian and a Minor in Creative Writing.
Now I'm thinking I might do an Extended Major in Italian and an Ordinary Major in Modern Greek (so, a double major).

This is possible through doing a language degree instead of doing an Arts degree (I could still study Italian in an Arts degree). I just checked out my local Uni's site, and it is possible to do... I'd be doing Beginners in both languages... it's been a while since I learnt Italian at High School, so I don't want to jump right into the Advanced stuff, and I've never learnt a single word of Greek in my life, except for the ancient deities' names.

But why have I suddenly decided I want to learn Greek as well?

Basically, I'd love to travel to Greece and visit all the old ruins and have a fun old time, second as a travel destination only to Italy. But I'm the sort of person who doesn't want to show up in a foreign country and expect everyone to speak English.

Hence, I'm seriously considering doing a double major to include Greek into the mix. I'll still have a couple of subjects free to choose from anything in the Arts department.

It should be interesting. :)

bertrigby
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Cliff Face, I applaud your ambition! A good place to start is to learn the alphabet. It shouldn't take too long, and it will let you get a taste of the language.

Greektionary.com is my homepage and I really recommend it for learners. It will give you three vocab words a day and you can get them emailed too!

If you do end up travelling in Greece, Greek people will LOVE it if you speak to them in their language. They always do a double take when I do it and then ask if my mother is an 'Ellinida' (Greek woman)!

whimsical rabbit
01-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Just thought I'd drop in and mention that as of today, I have decided to change my University goals.

I was going to study a Major in Italian and a Minor in Creative Writing.
Now I'm thinking I might do an Extended Major in Italian and an Ordinary Major in Modern Greek (so, a double major).

This is possible through doing a language degree instead of doing an Arts degree (I could still study Italian in an Arts degree). I just checked out my local Uni's site, and it is possible to do... I'd be doing Beginners in both languages... it's been a while since I learnt Italian at High School, so I don't want to jump right into the Advanced stuff, and I've never learnt a single word of Greek in my life, except for the ancient deities' names.

But why have I suddenly decided I want to learn Greek as well?

Basically, I'd love to travel to Greece and visit all the old ruins and have a fun old time, second as a travel destination only to Italy. But I'm the sort of person who doesn't want to show up in a foreign country and expect everyone to speak English.

Hence, I'm seriously considering doing a double major to include Greek into the mix. I'll still have a couple of subjects free to choose from anything in the Arts department.

It should be interesting. :)

Hey. It was brilliant reading this. :hooray:

I might have mentioned further above that my mum taught Greek to foreign students for something like 35 years. Yes, it is a difficult language, but like everything else it's a matter of dedication and understanding.

Bertrigby is right, Greeks feel very flattered if they hear other nationals speaking their language, but also know, most Greeks speak very good English too (at least of the last three generations, my parents', mine and the new one).

You sound like an erudite person, and I find your interests and dynamism very exciting.

The best of luck, and do give us a shout if you need anything. ;)

Cliff Face
01-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Well, I won't be commencing studies until at least 2012...

I'm doing a Free Entry Course at the moment... 4 subjects over 2 years. I did the first 2 subjects in 2010, and will finish it at the end of this year. Unfortunately, because it's a free charity course, we don't get to pick our subjects out of those 4.

So I won't be doing any language studies this year. Once I finish this Free Entry Course, I should be a shoe-in to go to Uni and study languages.

I'm also planning on getting on better terms with some of the Greek people who run my local coffee shop... maybe one of them could give me cheap tutoring once I'm studying? They already like me - I'm in there 3 or 4 times a week, have done so for about 2 years...

whimsical rabbit
01-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Well, I won't be commencing studies until at least 2012...

I'm doing a Free Entry Course at the moment... 4 subjects over 2 years. I did the first 2 subjects in 2010, and will finish it at the end of this year. Unfortunately, because it's a free charity course, we don't get to pick our subjects out of those 4.

So I won't be doing any language studies this year. Once I finish this Free Entry Course, I should be a shoe-in to go to Uni and study languages.

I'm also planning on getting on better terms with some of the Greek people who run my local coffee shop... maybe one of them could give me cheap tutoring once I'm studying? They already like me - I'm in there 3 or 4 times a week, have done so for about 2 years...

Sounds like a good plan, mate.:Thumbs:

backslashbaby
01-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Our local Greek Orthodox church teaches Greek. You might check into that in your area! You go, btw :) I love languages, but I'm well enough confused by the few I've learned (which need much work themselves ;))

Cliff Face
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Oh, languages confuse me too, but I really want to travel to Italy and Greece, and I already have some knowledge of Italian, so I figure I may as well try to learn those 2 languages...

I know I'll like studying them. I just don't know if I'll be any good at them... it's been about 10 years since I studied Italian in High School... and I've never studied Greek before...

PGK
01-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Just thought I'd pop my head back in after an extended leave (my second daughter was born 7 months ago) and suddenly I see this.

Nice to see a Greek thread and other fellow Greeks (even the adopted ones).

I'm part Greek (part French) in genetics, but full Greek in place of origin.

SaraP
01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Congrats on the baby girl. :)

whimsical rabbit
01-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Just thought I'd pop my head back in after an extended leave (my second daughter was born 7 months ago) and suddenly I see this.

Nice to see a Greek thread and other fellow Greeks (even the adopted ones).

I'm part Greek (part French) in genetics, but full Greek in place of origin.

Say, where have you been hiding?

:Hug2:

Eleni
01-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Hello everyone. I'm also 100% greek. I'm a mother, writer and musician. Let me just say up front, I'm a SLOW at reading in Greek. I still find it funny how my mother taught me to speak but failed to teach me to read in Greek. I learned on kyrpos.net, but I'm still so slow. I have Greek Rosetta Stone and am teaching my daughters.

On my writing, My first WIP has a few scenes in Greece and is an allegorical novel based on Plato's Cave.

Also, I have at least one Greek character in all my stories.

SaraP
01-18-2011, 04:33 AM
Welcome to the International District, Eleni. :hi:

tarak
01-18-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm not Greek, but my husband is, so I've had one big fat Greek wedding, and three big fat Greek baptisms (well - they weren't mine, they were for each of my kids). My husband never learned Greek, although his father is fluent. When he was ten or so, he told them that he had school five days a week and Sunday school on Sunday. Saturday was his only day off. So they let him skip out on Greek school.

My family is Irish, so our kids all have one name of Irish origin and the other is Greek. Just keeping the peace.

whimsical rabbit
01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I love how this thread keeps growing. :snoopy:

SaraP
01-19-2011, 01:57 AM
*adds more fertilizer*

spiros
02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Wow, haven't been around the forum in a while and the first thing I see upon my return is a Greek thread?:hooray:

ΑW goin' global! :)

I'm in Greece, fluent in Greek but I only write fiction in English. Not very effectively, I'm afraid, but that's a whole 'nother story.:cry:

Καλησπέρα σε ολους και ολες! :Hug2:

whimsical rabbit
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Wow, haven't been around the forum in a while and the first thing I see upon my return is a Greek thread?:hooray:

ΑW goin' global! :)

I'm in Greece, fluent in Greek but I only write fiction in English. Not very effectively, I'm afraid, but that's a whole 'nother story.:cry:

Καλησπέρα σε ολους και ολες! :Hug2:

:snoopy::hooray::e2bouncey

Where the hell have you been hiding, DUDE?

SaraP
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome back, spiros. :)

spiros
02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
:snoopy::hooray::e2bouncey

Where the hell have you been hiding, DUDE?

I wish I could say that I've been busy writing the next [INSERT favourite type of book here] but unfortunately, I've been drowning in my day job, working for da man.

But things are easing up at work now, so I have a little more time, hope to make a sustained effort to finish the never-ending novel.

(Λέμε τώρα...:Shrug:)

bertrigby
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
καλως ήλθατε to everyone I haven't said hi to!

whimsical rabbit
02-07-2011, 02:15 AM
καλως ήλθατε to everyone I haven't said hi to!

Ha. Well then. Where have you been all this time? :Hug2:

bertrigby
02-08-2011, 03:23 PM
στη δουλειά :(

whimsical rabbit
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
στη δουλειά :(

Be brave then. :D

bertrigby
02-27-2011, 02:27 AM
οιμοι, είμαστε στη σελίδα 2! *bump*

Cliff Face
02-27-2011, 03:20 AM
I vaguely know that alphabet from Physics equations. :D

No idea what you folk are saying, of course. ;)

whimsical rabbit
02-27-2011, 03:55 AM
No idea what you folk are saying, of course. ;)

Bertrigby just said that we're already on page number 2.

Cliff Face
02-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Ah, okay. I never would've figured that out.

bertrigby
02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Just bumping us up so we don't get lost in the throng...don't want any wandering Greeks to miss us...

whimsical rabbit
02-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Just bumping us up so we don't get lost in the throng...don't want any wandering Greeks to miss us...

Good plan. :D

SaraP
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Oooooh and you're on page 3 already, too. :yessmiley

shelley
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey, I just noticed this thread..
I am Greek too, live in Athens...
I was born in NY, USA but came to Greece before I was even one years old. I love Greece, wouldn't change it for the world.

Καληνύχτα! ( goodnight )

whimsical rabbit
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey, I just noticed this thread..
I am Greek too, live in Athens...
I was born in NY, USA but came to Greece before I was even one years old. I love Greece, wouldn't change it for the world.

Καληνύχτα! ( goodnight )

:hooray:

I was about to point you towards this direction but you found the thread yourself! Welcome!

SaraP
03-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Welcome, shelley. :welcome:

shelley
03-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you guys..

Marilena
04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi guys!
Γεια σας παιδιά!

Finally my illustrated novel is available, check my thread below
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210411

whimsical rabbit
04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi guys!
Γεια σας παιδιά!

Finally my illustrated novel is available, check my thread below
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210411

*click*

whimsical rabbit
04-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Πολύ ωραίο, φαίνεται! Looks lovely, babe.

Συγχαρητήρια. :hooray:

Marilena
04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ, τώρα εργάζομαι για την συνέχεια του βιβλίου και ελπίζω να πάνε όλα καλά!

Thank you very much again!:)

Purple Ladybug
04-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Hi guys! :hi:

I'm Greek (born in Greece, raised in Canada), but I haven't gone back to Greece in years. I can speak enough Greek to have a relatively simple conversation, and I can read it if I go slow, but I can't write in Greek to save my life.

And so, with the help of my dictionary: Καληνύχτα παιδιά! (goodnight guys)

whimsical rabbit
04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome, Borealis!

SaraP
04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome, Borealis!

Yeah, what the wabbity said. :D

Purple Ladybug
04-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. :)

Pebbles
05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm half Greek, also writing a novel that takes place in
Greece. Kind of hard trying to mix in a few modern Greek words that Americains would understand.

andreea
07-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Can't believe I didn't found this thread earlier. I'm not greek, but I"ve been married to one for four years and lived in Thessaloniki, if that counts. I can speak the language, fluently, and I can read, but I can't write to save my life. Okay, I can, but nothing anyone would want, or could, read.

Gia sas se olous. (See? What did I say?) :)

SaraP
07-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Ooooh, new peeps! :welcome:

andreea
07-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Ooooh, new peeps! :welcome:

Yeap. Hi! :hi:

whimsical rabbit
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Can't believe I didn't found this thread earlier. I'm not greek, but I"ve been married to one for four years and lived in Thessaloniki, if that counts. I can speak the language, fluently, and I can read, but I can't write to save my life. Okay, I can, but nothing anyone would want, or could, read.

Gia sas se olous. (See? What did I say?) :)

Hey. I'm from Thessaloniki originally (married to an Athenian and we both live in the UK).

Gia kai se sena!

:e2flowers

boommboomm
08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Glad to find a place with other Greeks on here.

I am Greek born, but raised abroad, and have returned to live in Athens since 1999. I am also looking for my first opportunity to go abroad (except in July and August, who wants to leave then?)

Hope to get to know some of you!

whimsical rabbit
08-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Glad to find a place with other Greeks on here.

I am Greek born, but raised abroad, and have returned to live in Athens since 1999. I am also looking for my first opportunity to go abroad (except in July and August, who wants to leave then?)

Hope to get to know some of you!

Καλωσήρθες! :welcome::hooray:

ShadowyEclipse
08-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Tried to learn Greek. Gave up. Now learning French.

It's the effort that counts, oui, oui?

Bonjour monsieur, madame!

parlez-vous Francois?

whimsical rabbit
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Tried to learn Greek. Gave up. Now learning French.

It's the effort that counts, oui, oui?

Bonjour monsieur, madame!

parlez-vous Francois?

Ha ha, oui, bien sur je parle francais.

Well done on giving Greek ago. I bet it's not an easy language to learn for the non-natives.

Elenitsa
09-21-2011, 01:46 AM
I tried to learn German and I ended learning Greek instead! It is far easier!:)

Thanks to Nana Mouskouri's and Marinella's songs too...

Milao ellinika, to grafo episis, alla ohi me latinika grammata... Ki'alla den eho, distihos!

panagiotisk
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi Everybody,
I am Panagiotis from Xanthi, Greece.
I am 33y old and and practicing Stand Up Comedy, and I joined the forum a few days ago.

This forum is huge so i am just reading stuff so far....

Any help needed for anything about Greece I'm here to help if I can.

whimsical rabbit
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Hello panagiotis, welcome to the gang!

I haven't been on AW for ages (busy with recently becoming a mother and all) but if you need anything at all just give us a shout, will you?

In the meantime, hope everyone's doing great, guys!

x

panagiotisk
03-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Να σου ζήσει!

Martina
03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Just discovered that there are fellow Greeks in AW! Better late than ever!So excited to find others! I am Greek but finished an MA in Creative Writing in UK and currently I am looking for an agent/publisher in UK. Turns out that the situation in Greece as far as publishing is concerned is far from perfect. I was also thinking of doing a Phd in Creative Writing.
Any suggestions or advice are more than welcome!

SaraP
03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Oooooh, new peeps! :hooray:

Welcome, everyone. :hi:

whimsical rabbit
03-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Να σου ζήσει!

Thank you, φίλε!

Just discovered that there are fellow Greeks in AW! Better late than ever!So excited to find others! I am Greek but finished an MA in Creative Writing in UK and currently I am looking for an agent/publisher in UK. Turns out that the situation in Greece as far as publishing is concerned is far from perfect. I was also thinking of doing a Phd in Creative Writing.
Any suggestions or advice are more than welcome!

Hey, I'm currently doing a PhD in CW in the UK. I decided to do it because I was really interested in the thesis' idea and the whole exploration of its concepts, but I've seen many a CW PhDs out there that made me scratch my head... My point is, if you're passionate about an idea, I'd say definitely go for it. If not, the only thing a PhD will offer you is a possible academic career. You, yourself will build your publishing career, rest assured of that!

Oh. And welcome aboard!

Martina
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Whimsical Rabbit is it possible to provide me with further information regarding the phd?
By the way, congrats for the baby!

three_act_climax
05-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow, never thought they'd be so many greeks in AW. I was born in Athens, so add one more to the tally!

Γεια χαρά σε όλους! This place is way addictive.

SaraP
05-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Addictive? Nah... ;) :D

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

three_act_climax
05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks, SaraP. Feels good to be here...

SadSaddler7
11-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Γεια χαρά σε όλους,είμαι ο Βαγγέλης από Λαμία,χαίρομαι που το Ελληνικό στοιχείο κυριαρχεί και εδώ,καλό γράψιμο παιδιά! :)

Hi y'all,I'm Evan from Lamia,glad to see some Greek elements rubbing off in here as well,sharpen your pencils guys! :)

Elenitsa
11-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Geia sas!

I have warm memories from Lamia, I had spent a few days there (about 5 I think) in 1999... Well, I was staying in Lianokladi, actually, but the host was from Lamia and took us there to show us both the town and the castle...

And Xanthi! Yay! It was a famous sportsman coming from Xanthi... Spiros and I forgot the other name, a runner. He won an Olympic game Marathon, I guess the one in Athens in 1896 but I am not sure, it might have been a bit later but before 1950s I think.

whimsical rabbit
11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey everyone, welcome aboard!

I haven't really been on AW for the last year or so as I now have an eight-month old daughter who keeps me busy, so I'm trying to fit motherhood, PhD, writing and everything else into 24 hours- almost impossible!

I'm still here though, mostly lurking.

x

SadSaddler7
11-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Lamia is a nice,small town especially for the family oriented people,the local food is yummy in my humble opinion....... :)

bertrigby
06-04-2013, 12:49 AM
παιδία, έγραψα ενα blog, 'Why writing is a lot like Greek dancing' (http://catherinequeen.com/2013/06/03/why-writing-is-a-lot-like-greek-dancing/). Μηπως σας αρέσει;

mando
08-04-2013, 02:51 AM
Γεια σας. Είμαι μάλλον η τρίτη Ελληνίδα; Είναι η πρώτη φορά που μπαίνω σε φόρουμ οποιουδήποτε είδους. Φαίνεται πολύ ενδιαφέρον, μόνο που δεν ξέρω τι να πρωτοδιαβάσω.