PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal Activity 2

dragonjax
10-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Anyone see this yet? I finally saw PA, with the "throwing" ending (apparently, there are three different endings out there), and I'm curious about the sequel.

maestrowork
10-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Will lightning strike the same place twice?

Calla Lily
10-24-2010, 05:03 AM
We saw the throwing ending in theaters here (Bflo). Did they have different endings in different parts of the country? We saw one of the alt endings online--the one where she sits there all night and all day and you hear the phone, the answering machine, and finally the cops arrive and kill her.

ceenindee
10-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Everyone I know who's seen it says the second one is better. It's been getting decent reviews as well.

I can't say I loved the first one, but I respect it for the fact that it managed to scare me, and I'm usually pretty good with scary movies. I'll wait til this one is out on DVD, so I can watch it with the lights on if I have to. ;)

Grrarrgh
10-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Because I'm completely stupid sometimes, I waited until I was all alone one night and watched the first one with all of the lights off. I usually do ok with scary movies, but that one really freaked me out. The shots of her standing over the bed staring at him sleeping for hours were chilling. I think that the ending I saw was the throwing one, but there was one alternate ending on the DVD and I watched that one, too. Although I can't remember what ending that was. Someone else mentioned the police killing her, but that doesn't sound familiar.

I'm definitely going to watch the sequel, but not until it comes out on DVD. Although I'll definitely make Mr. Grr watch it with me this time.

ETA: I just checked Wiki and the alternate ending I saw was the one where she slit her own throat. So frakking creepy.

miss marisa
10-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I never saw the first PA, and really have no desire to. It didn't seem that scary to me. Well, maybe scary as in "boo" "ah!" kind of scary. I'm probably going to see PA2, but we'll have to see about that... (I still don't feel like it'll entertain me. I want to be proven wrong, though).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
10-24-2010, 04:26 PM
The first one wasn't the jump out and scare you kinda horror flick. Which is what I liked. It was creepy. When the bf went looking for the gf and found her sitting outside in a stupor, I kept expecting something scary to happen and that was much scarier than anything that did happen. As GrrArgh stated, the DVD released stateside only had the one alt ending. I have read about the police one, but never been able to find it. It's no good for the sequel because from what I hear the gf is in the sequel.

dragonjax
10-24-2010, 04:33 PM
It's no good for the sequel because from what I hear the gf is in the sequel.

Actually, the sequel is sort of a prequel. It takes place before PA (at least, part of it does, from what I've read). That's why "Aunt Katie" can make an appearance.

Jersey Chick
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
The first PA kept me up all night. I'm not planning on seeing the sorta-prequel/sorta-sequel (I've read that most of the movie is prequel, but the last bit is sequel) because I'm too old to be up all night, wondering if every noise is the boogey man (er, woman.) :D

clockwork
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
We saw the throwing ending in theaters here (Bflo). Did they have different endings in different parts of the country? We saw one of the alt endings online--the one where she sits there all night and all day and you hear the phone, the answering machine, and finally the cops arrive and kill her.

The cops ending is my favourite. It's the most in keeping with the rest of the film, IMO. The others are too wink-wink, for the audience's benefit. The boyfriend tossing super-strength comes out of nowhere in the theatrical ending, done purely for BOO! value. The second ending is better but not done well enough for me - I mean it looked student-filmy. And both are done for the camera, which the demon never really seemed bothered about doing until that point.

The cops ending is truly demonic. It's patient and subdued, like a demon would be, like it has a plan and it's waiting it out. The doorbell and answer phone messages are creepy, the sound of their friend discovering the body is horrific and entirely in your own head and then the final nasty twist of slamming the door to make the cops lose their cool and open fire. It's mysterious and properly supernatural.

The first one wasn't the jump out and scare you kinda horror flick. Which is what I liked. It was creepy. When the bf went looking for the gf and found her sitting outside in a stupor, I kept expecting something scary to happen and that was much scarier than anything that did happen. As GrrArgh stated, the DVD released stateside only had the one alt ending. I have read about the police one, but never been able to find it.

That's what I loved about it too. I was expecting the BOO! moments and pretty much every time, they never came. Which had me on edge for most of it. But I've read the second goes for the jumps. If so, that'll be disappointing.

The cops ending is often removed by the studio but you can find it (for now) here (http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_16845.html).

Satori1977
10-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I just recently saw the first, and it scared the crap out of me! But horror movies don't, but this seemed more real. Maybe it was how it was shot, seemed more intimate with the home movie feel to it. Like I was a voyeur in their lives, not just a moviegoer.

Mabye it was partly because me and hubby watched it at home, at night, lights off, in our bed. And that just made it eerier. I love how all the main action was off stage too. I am in the camp of it is scarier if you don't see too much of the monster and are kept wondering, then seeing all the blood and gore like the Saw movies.

So I liked it (and saw the ending that Grr mentioned, though I like the theater ending better). I want to see this one, but not sure if it will have the same effect as the first. I have heard good and bad reviews. I have heard there is too much backstory, and that makes it less scary. I only know one person who saw it and didn't like it (she didn't like the first either). Her main issue though was the scenes with the baby. She said that they must have done something to really terrify this little baby so much, and it made her sick to her stomach. Not sure about that, will have to see for myself.

Oh, and thanks for explaining that it is more like a prequel. I was confused when I saw commercials with the actress from the first.

Calla Lily
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
*ascend soapbox*

Yes, I'm not seeing the prequel because I am 100% against scaring little kid actors for the sake of the scene.

*exit soapbox*

Jersey Chick
10-24-2010, 07:57 PM
The baby is part of the reason why I won't see it, either. I'm also not a fan of terrifying kids for the sake of a scare.

Satori1977
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
It would be one thing if it was an older child, who knew that they were making a movie, and could understand it isn't real. But a baby? A little baby less than a year old. I don't think that is ok. And I am kinda appalled at the parents for allowing it. I would really like to hear a plausible explanation on how they shot those scenes, and have them say they didn't scare him. But I don't know how they would fake it.

clockwork
10-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I haven't seen it, I can't guarantee this, but given the success of the first (ie; increased budget for the second) and the ferocious nature of child actor laws, I'd be astonished if most of it wasn't achieved with prosthetics, CG and sound effects. These days you can animate a crying baby with all of its facial complexities within the safety of a computer, and then superimpose that over a real (happy) baby, blend the lighting, add the sound effects... I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised.

brainstorm77
10-24-2010, 08:11 PM
The first one didn't hold my attention... But lots loved it.

Jcomp
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Saw it. Rather liked it, though it felt a bit redundant. I almost wish they had made this one first. It executes everything better than the first movie, but unfortunately the first movie did it... you know... first. A lot of the stuff in this film would have been much more frightening had it not been done already.

Also just looked up the box office and woah, $41 million on the opening weekend. Tremendous. America flocked to see a bloodless, supernatural horror flick with relatively minimal effects and a much greater emphasis on "dread" than overt horror. There is, perhaps, hope for the genre yet. Of course, as I say that, Saw 3D will possibly pull high numbers this weekend...

Jcomp
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I haven't seen it, I can't guarantee this, but given the success of the first (ie; increased budget for the second) and the ferocious nature of child actor laws, I'd be astonished if most of it wasn't achieved with prosthetics, CG and sound effects. These days you can animate a crying baby with all of its facial complexities within the safety of a computer, and then superimpose that over a real (happy) baby, blend the lighting, add the sound effects... I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised.

I don't think the baby had too many scenes where he was visibly scared. Not where you could see his face, anyway. Usually when he really unleashed a harsh wail it was off camera, and I don't remember him being up close crying very much at all. When he did seem to be crying, I always presumed that in most movies they just sort of waited for kids to get around to crying... as they are wont to do...

Satori1977
10-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think the baby had too many scenes where he was visibly scared. Not where you could see his face, anyway. Usually when he really unleashed a harsh wail it was off camera, and I don't remember him being up close crying very much at all. When he did seem to be crying, I always presumed that in most movies they just sort of waited for kids to get around to crying... as they are wont to do...

That was what I was hoping. God knows my kids can scream like someone is killing them, and usually for no reason. I assume my friend was talking about looks of terror on the baby's face, while screaming. Still curious to see it myself.

Jcomp
10-25-2010, 06:11 PM
That was what I was hoping. God knows my kids can scream like someone is killing them, and usually for no reason. I assume my friend was talking about looks of terror on the baby's face, while screaming. Still curious to see it myself.

Now that I think of it, one of the things that sorta bugged me about the movie was that the cries of the kid when he was off-screen--chilling as they sounded--didn't sound like they had come from a baby at all. I think that was part of the point but it kept making me think "what the hell is that?" instead of "oh no, kid's in trouble!" So I'm fairly positive that the worst screams weren't even the kid screaming at all.

I'd have to see it again, but I don't remember many close-ups of the kid (cute as all hell, by the way) when he was terrified. A few crying scenes, but most of the stuff when he's scared was night-vision and at a bit of a distance. I might be mistaken though, but I don't think it was very harsh at all in that respect. Maybe the implication amplifies it...

WCP
10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Will more doors move on their own? There is nothing more scary than a door moving an inch on its own.

Sage
10-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Roomie's been talking about going to see this, but I'd like to sleep this November, unlike last November after seeing the first

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
10-26-2010, 07:05 AM
I just saw it. The baby is only a baby for the first coupla scenes and then is a toddler. Still most of the child effects were clearly a puppet. When the toddler was on screen, he was usually playing (even sometimes with the demon) but obviously they didn't torture this kid.

That said, I did not enjoy this one quite as much. My hopes were higher than for the first, which could be the reason for my disappointment. Most of this movie is a prequel. Only the last couple of minutes, which should have been the climax, took place after the events at Katie and Micah's. And those last few minutes felt very much like a coda. They could have done some terrifying things and instead just sort of went for the easy kill (literally). They also tried to explain why this was happening. I think the randomness of the first was one of the elements that made it terrifying. (Also, explaining the inexplicable usually falls flat, and here it just felt petty.)

Also, most boring exorcism ever.

Calla Lily
10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Johnny, that makes me very happy. About the baby/toddler, not about the moviefail. :)

BTW, I enjoy reading your posts.

Witch_turtle
10-30-2010, 05:40 AM
I loved the first one because it was so suspenseful/mysterious and really, really made your imagination do like 99% of the work in terms of getting you scared. I never, ever, ever get scared of horror movies or stories, but after Paranormal Activity I had a hard time sleeping, and could not lay down with my feet stretched out or uncovered.

I saw the second one last night. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I found it more startling than the first and less mysterious/dread-inducing. This could possibly be because I knew what to expect, whereas when I watched the first one I hadn't even seen the trailer and didn't know what it was about. Gotta say, though, you REALLY have to watch the first one in order to understand the second.

ETA: I just wanted to add that the theatrical ending of the first movie is the only one that makes sense/fits with the storyline of the second movie, for anyone who hasn't watched

defcon6000
10-31-2010, 07:05 AM
They also tried to explain why this was happening. I think the randomness of the first was one of the elements that made it terrifying. (Also, explaining the inexplicable usually falls flat, and here it just felt petty.)
I hate when they do that. I'd say that's what ruined the second Poltergeist film.

I wasn't the impressed by the 1st one so I'm not sure if I want to see this one. Plus, I didn't see the theatrical ending, only the one where she gets shot by the police. Actually, that kinda annoys me they came up with 3 endings but only one of them is the true ending or the one that leads to the sequel/prequel. What's the point of making all those endings if we can't pick 'n choose the one we like?