PDA

View Full Version : gotta be smarter than the email!

carda
10-23-2010, 10:04 AM
I've read everything a search engine will pull up about PB queries and get conflicting advice. One site says follow exactly what your agent site says to do. Well of course, so my potential agent. Says email query including synopsis. So I thought that's what a query was. Until I read a query tempts to read more and a synopsis is a summary incl ending. So I replace my tempt with a summmary? Or do both? Then agent doesn't say send MS but several pages say a PB always includes MS. ??? Then please number pages. This is only for snail mail, correct , the site prefers email so I have to ask. THEN, to copy and paste a MS into an email and keep d spacing, no that was fine, to email it to yourself and it moves again. Makes me lose my religion,* sagging shouders* I IS tard, please help.

Stacia Kane
10-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry, what's a PB?

alleycat
10-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry, what's a PB?
I'm assuming Picture Book.

carda
10-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Wow, sorry I must totally be in the wrong area. I feel like I just called a rock music station and requested them to play Alan Jackson. Ill keep looking. Oh! It is picturebook, thanks anyway

Theo81
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
You send what the agent asks you to send.

With picture books, this is often the whole text rather than a synopsis and I suspect your covering letter will be more akin to the method for short stories (One line summery, word count) rather than the synopsis-like QL we have for novels.

If the agent doesn't specify, wing a note to their assistent.

And welcome to the boards!

jclarkdawe
10-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Picture books are done differently than other books. The query description should be about one sentence long, just enough so the reader knows what your story is about. The entire manuscript (which should be no more than 2,000 words, and that's long) should be included. And most agents don't do picture books and they are submitted directly to the editors of the few publishers that deal with picture books.

Normal query technique does not apply to picture books. And no one says you should do a synopsis for one.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Susan Littlefield
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Wow, sorry I must totally be in the wrong area. I feel like I just called a rock music station and requested them to play Alan Jackson. Ill keep looking. Oh! It is picturebook, thanks anyway

Welcome, Carda!

You're not in the wrong area at all. You send exactly what the agent says. Follow all guidelines to a tee. Good luck!

suki
10-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Carda,

My guess is that the agent doesn't regularly accept PBs - have you checked the guidelines? Because most agents who seek PBs will say first x number pages of the manuscript OR whole picture book text (knowing it's not going to be longer than about 1,000 words).

But, there are agents who don't say "No picture books" but don't specify whole PB text - for those agents, I'd suggest you take the submission guidelines literally - ie, the first x number of pages - even if your text is 1-3 pages, and they say up to 5. You just send what you have.

The query can be much shorter, as Jim said - 1-3 sentences of pitch.

Good luck!

~suki

alleycat
10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
This could have gone in a couple of forums, but this was probably the best place for it. People who write children's books are familiar with the term "PB" but not everyone here does.

brainstorm77
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry, what's a PB? Peanut Butter? :D

alleycat
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Picture books are done differently than other books. The query description should be about one sentence long, just enough so the reader knows what your story is about. The entire manuscript (which should be no more than 2,000 words, and that's long) should be included. And most agents don't do picture books and they are submitted directly to the editors of the few publishers that deal with picture books.
That's exactly what I do. A simple cover letter, and the full MS.

It used to be that many, of not most, big-name publishers of children's books would accept a PB manuscript directly; however, that is changing somewhat, so you have to do your research to determine which do. The Internet makes this fairly easy to do.

Also, another thing difference is you might not get a reply back if you submit directly to a publishers. A few do, most don't; they almost always state this in their website guidelines.

carda
10-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank you everybody! This agent has lots of picture books. Its one reason why I wondered about the word synopsis. This will be my very first query and I'm. I'm sure I don't have to explain. I appreciate everybody's input! @ brainstorm its about as sticky as peanut butter! Lol!

suki
10-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Thank you everybody! This agent has lots of picture books. Its one reason why I wondered about the word synopsis. This will be my very first query and I'm. I'm sure I don't have to explain. I appreciate everybody's input! @ brainstorm its about as sticky as peanut butter! Lol!

Just make sure the agent is still accepting picture book queries - some agents who have repped picture books, don't currently accept queries for them. So, check the submission guidelines to make sure they don't say "No picture books" or "not currently accepting picture book queries."

carda
10-24-2010, 04:11 AM
@ Suki, the agency is pippin properties. I noticed many of their books have the same publisher. I have two in front of me right now. I saw a recent interview of Holly McGhee and she is accepting PB. Their site does not distinguish between a reg query and a PB query. If you might be familiar with them at all do you think they would auto reject it if I sent my MS in the body of my email query?

suki
10-24-2010, 06:25 AM
@ Suki, the agency is pippin properties. I noticed many of their books have the same publisher. I have two in front of me right now. I saw a recent interview of Holly McGhee and she is accepting PB. Their site does not distinguish between a reg query and a PB query. If you might be familiar with them at all do you think they would auto reject it if I sent my MS in the body of my email query?

Well, from a quick glance at their website, their submission guidelines seem to say query only. So...unless their guidelines somewhere else say you can include it, I wouldn't include it. Follow their guidelines.

~suki