• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Desperately Seeking Beta Reader for Interracial Romance (BW/WM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise_dec4u

Registered
Reaction score
Desperately seeking BETA for Interracial Romance (BW/WM)

Title: Crossing the Finish Line

Genre:Romance/Drama

Rating: M (For Language, Sex and Mild Violence)

Summary: It is a tumultuous love story set during 1988 about a talented, street smart, African American teen from the projects of Detroit, MI, named Charlene Jacobson. At her father's insistence, she moves to the fictional rural town of Millersville, GA, after her younger brother is killed in a random shooting. She meets and reluctantly falls in love with a handsome, but flawed, white senior track star named Ryan Quinn, who dreams of escaping his controlling father and moving to California to train for the Olympics. Their newfound love is tested by family, friends and society, but the real obstacle is overcoming their own insecurities and beliefs about race, sex, and following their dreams.

Chapters Posted: I've posted chapters 1-3 so far (see link below) and currently working on chapter 4. http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2847951/1/Crossing_the_Finish_Line I've already created an outline from beginning to end so I know in what direction I want this story to go.

What I Need Help On: Of course, I would welcome any suggestions you have, but if you're good in grammar, spelling and dialogue tags, that's a plus. I'm not into using a lot of flowery language (even when it comes to sex scenes). It's just not my thing. I like my characters to come across as real as possible and would like help fleshing them out. My characters are flawed, so you may not always agree with their points of view or like what they say and do, but that's what makes them who they are. I also have a habit of being a little too wordy at times and not descriptive enough in others. I need someone who can cut the fat without taking away from the meat of the story and let me know when I'm not giving the reader enough information. I would also love to hear your overall opinion of the story, what works, what doesn't and why.

Editing:I would prefer if you use MS Words Editing Tracking so I can see your changes. Also, add your comments as to why you felt something needed to be changed so I can learn from my mistakes.

Length:This will be novel length, but I'm not sure how many chapters yet. I would like a long term beta, but if that's not possible, you can beta as many chapters as you like.

Turn Around Time:I work fulltime and have a full house, but will attempt to produce a new chapter at least every 1-2 weeks. I'm hoping my beta can have the edited version returned to me at least within a week of receiving the chapter. Of course, I understand that real life gets in the way and you're volunteering your free time, so I'm very flexible.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.