PDA

View Full Version : Referral Question

amyashley
10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I got a referral today from an agent who liked my MS, but felt another two agents were a better fit.

One of these has already sent a rejection, and the other is president of an agency I queried an agent at but have not heard back from.

What should I do? Call the 2nd agency? The email they offer is to a submissions manager, so I cannot e-mail the agent he referred me to directly.

Exciting! He was very enthusiastic about my MS!

suki
10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I got a referral today from an agent who liked my MS, but felt another two agents were a better fit.

One of these has already sent a rejection, and the other is president of an agency I queried an agent at but have not heard back from.

What should I do? Call the 2nd agency? The email they offer is to a submissions manager, so I cannot e-mail the agent he referred me to directly.

Exciting! He was very enthusiastic about my MS!

Referrals are great, but you are in a tough spot.

Obviously, the one who already rejected you is out - she had a chance to see it and passed, so the referral is not relevant.

The other is a tricky situation. If I am reading it correctly, you sent an email to the 2nd referral's agency, but not to any specific person - as they only offer a general email.

Did you direct the query to a specific agent? Did the referring agent provide you an email or just the name of the president of the agency?

Assuming you did not query a specific agent in the first place, and you don't have an email for the agent you have been referred to, I'd probably send an email to the general submission email with the subject line "Referral to Agent X" And then explain in the email that you recently sent a query. but now Agent Y has referred you specifically to Agent X, so you are resubmitting your query for Agent X.

But if you already queried a specific agent, I'd be tempted to allow that to run it's course, and then you could query the specific agent you were referred to. Just be sure to say in the email the other agent has already passed.

If it's a no from one is a no from all agency, you could email the specific agent and tell her that you have recently received a referral to the president of the agency - not sure it will make a difference, but it might make her read more carefully.

That's what I would do. Not sure if it's the best course of action - but I would not call - I would stick with email, but the situation changes depending on whether you queried a specific agent in the first place.

If I have misunderstood your question, maybe clarify (for me and anyone else coming in after me).

~suki

amyashley
10-22-2010, 06:22 PM
It's the Knight Agency.

I emailed general submissions ATTN: Nephele Tempest.

He advised I try Deirdre Knight, who is the president.

wheelwriter
10-22-2010, 06:46 PM
For the first suggested agent, who already sent a rejection - did you send a significantly different query letter, and was it a little while ago? If it was fairly different and at least a couple months ago, I might be tempted to send it again with the suggested referral right at the top. They might reject you again, but it might be worth one more try.

amyashley
10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
The query was a slightly different one. It was significantly different than the current one. It was just sent on the 12th however.

The agent who referred me had 10 pages and the synopsis in addition to the query. It was obvious he'd read the material.

I'm very tempted to send my fresh query to the Knight agency pres. with a note at the subject line about the referral as well as a note about the agent who I initially sent to. She may encourage the first agent to take a closer look.

I don't know how agency structure works, or how closely they work together there.

amyashley
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I found Nephele's e-mail on her blog and I emailed her, repasting my query and apologizing for any confusion I might inadvertently cause.

I kept it professional, and let her know I'm new at this but eager to learn. Hopefully they'll be understanding and ask to see more.

It looks like a great agency! I'll be happy to work with them if they can excuse my learning stages!