Shaving Your Legs Can Be Deadly!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
After more years of shaving my legs than I care to remember, I almost killed myself, or at least it felt that way. Thinking I'm still flexible for my age, I put my foot against the shower wall, shaved away, removed it and my back and leg locked in horrid pain. I couldn't move.

I already have herniated discs and every other ailment that goes with that, and this little leg shave has put me flat on my back for a week. I tried to walk to the kitchen the other night and collapsed flat on the floor on my face. The dog stood by cheering me on as I looked like a walrus trying to right myself. It must have truly been a cute sight.

Today is the first day I could stand to sit at the computer for more than two minutes and write. I pulled all the muscles in my lower back and left leg and I've been in so much pain I thought I'd die. The pain has been so bad all the prescriptions meds have barely touched it. Finally the doctor prescribed prendisone and it seems to be getting better. I no longer want to chew my fingernails off.

I still can't sit long enough to do anything and I see money flowing bye bye. Who ever would believe shaving your leg would end up leaving you bed ridden for a week? The worst part is....I didn't even get all the hair off the one leg. All this pain and I've still got a hairy leg. :Shrug:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could always wax instead. :evil

Seriously, I'm so sorry to hear about all the pain. *hugs*

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Winter is coming so I guess I could keep the hairy leg for extra added warmth. Hubby thinks it looks cute. The good thing is, the leg doesn't seem to grow as much hair on it as it once did. Still, this back thing has been horrible. The cause is so ridiculous, I don't even feel stupid saying what happened. My doctor, who is a man, just paused for a moment staring at me when I told him what happened.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, man! You scooshed something with one of your bad discs, I bet. Oooh.

I have nerve pain with a back problem I have, and it's incredibly hard to touch with your usual pain meds. It took us forever to find something that works OK.

I'm glad your doggy helped :D They're good at that :)

ETA: My back gave out totally after a painful flight to England. It waited until I was by a druggie square in Oxford to totally go, so that's where I lay, flat on my back. Right by a meth freak and a dude playing guitar.

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, you've been in so much pain! :Hug2:

What women go through! I don't know how many times I've almost slipped propping a foot up to shave my leg. Crazy--I wonder if anyone has actually died from trying to shave.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aw, man! You scooshed something with one of your bad discs, I bet. Oooh.

I have nerve pain with a back problem I have, and it's incredibly hard to touch with your usual pain meds. It took us forever to find something that works OK.

I'm glad your doggy helped :D They're good at that :)

ETA: My back gave out totally after a painful flight to England. It waited until I was by a druggie square in Oxford to totally go, so that's where I lay, flat on my back. Right by a meth freak and a dude playing guitar.
Yeah, I got the good old nerve damage too. You luck sounds about like mine. I'd probably choose some horrid place to fall out if I was in public. At least the dude had drugs he could have given you if you started screaming in pain. The guitar guy could have lured you to sleep. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

I didn't even think of the good drugs!! I had a good rest with the music, actually :) As long as being upright was taken off the table, I was happy enough ;)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce, this is why they invented slacks and ankle length skirts. Stop shaving!

MM

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon.

I don't know how big your bathroom is but is there anyway you can put the lid down, sit on the pot and shave that way.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When a lady reaches a certain age, shaving in the shower, especially a slick and/or cramped shower, becomes fairly risky. This is when you treat yourself to a decent electric shaver--lots of sales and even coupons as Christmas approaches, BTW--and shave in the safety of a dry place with a seat of some sort.

Maryn, at that point

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Men are more than willing to assist women in need...particularly in the shower. And we do have razor experience.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your back. That's just nasty. I moved wrong once and could barely move afterward.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your back. That's just nasty. I moved wrong once and could barely move afterward.

i know you weren't trying to be funny but "i moved wrong once" is making me laugh,....

:roll:

me too, btw.

Maika

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it's coming around real quick. :)

Laser hair removal is expensive, but maybe a good solution to avoid such risky business in the shower.:tongue

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website

How many times have I told people when they ask what I did to hurt my back that I just moved. It's crazy. It still feels like crap today. Yep my days of being elastic girl in the shower are over. My hubby would be more than willing to help in the shower, but I'm not sure I'd get much shaving done.:evil

Thanks everyone for letting my whine.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Poor Joyce! So sorry :( I threw my back out changing a diaper once. And back pain takes forever to go away!

(I switched to one of those guys' norelco shavers because I haaaaate razor burn. I shave where ever I want to now. LOL )

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Men are more than willing to assist women in need...particularly in the shower. And we do have razor experience.

Yes, this is true.

My husband is good at shaving those hard to reach places. :)

ETA: I sent you a rep with my method for shaving.

Last edited:

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cray, it's cool. Glad to brighten your day.
Joyce, it takes so little.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lumbar spine that needs refurbished too. But NEVER FEAR. I read an article last week about the use of robotic exoskeletons for people with damaged spinal cords. Soon we can all be like Iron Man.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've got my annual girls camping trip in just over a week and I'll be darn if I miss it. I told my girlfriends they might have to wheel me around on an air mattress and feed me lots and lots of beer or tequila. At least the pain meds are working now. I hate to say it, but last week I think I would have taken anything someone gave me if they said it would make me stop hurting.

I kept thinking of Nicole Richie when she was strung out on drugs and said she'd take something like 9 somas (muscle relaxers) at a time to get high. I figured I was a hell of a lot bigger than her and I probably could survive the overdose if needed. It's surprising what you'll think of doing when you are in extreme pain.

It's a good day....Joyce has actually made $30 freelancing. At this rate, I just might have a $90 paycheck at the end of the week. :D Oh to have my uninjured back again.