Ever strive for mediocre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious how completely I've lost it.
I love writing and having others read my work. I submit for payment and to be "recognized". However, at no time have I ever wanted to get a huge book deal that would include me flying around the world on a book tour or doing public speakings or being recognized as a "famous author". I don't want to go on talk shows and talk about my book or how the ideas came to me.
I'm a hermit, I don't want to go greet people, I don't want to talk about it, and I don't want to fly anywhere ever. I just want to sit in my chair and write.

So, in part, I'm striving to reach the plateau of mediocrity getting as much cash as I can for the work while not having to interact with actual people to do it.

And yes, I'm on medication. No, not for this particular issue :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is it you think you've "lost"? The desire to want what everyone else does?

I'll go the obvious here and invoke Emily Dickinson and J.D. Salinger - and, to some degree, Steely Dan and Van Morrison. Tours and publicity aren't everybody's thing.

Heck, I haven't written anything for money, and have hardly ever submitted anything I didn't know in advance would be accepted. Some day.

Are you happy with what you're up to?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I am.

I'm content.

And yea.... aren't we suppose to want, or seek, fortune and fame and that spotlight? Aren't we suppose to want to be Othello in the play and not a tree in the background? Everyone around me is so materialistic, products of the Gimme Society. I don't want really much of anything and it seems that by a quantity aspect I'm in the minority.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! No, give me money. Groupies, not so much ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I am.

I'm content.

That is fantastic. Seriously.

And yea.... aren't we suppose to want, or seek, fortune and fame and that spotlight? Aren't we suppose to want to be Othello in the play and not a tree in the background? Everyone around me is so materialistic, products of the Gimme Society. I don't want really much of anything and it seems that by a quantity aspect I'm in the minority.
It feels that way sometimes, doesn't it?

I love to joke about hitting the NYT Bestseller list, or winning a Pulitzer/National Book Award/etc., but my real goal is far more simple: I want to make enough money writing so that I can afford to keep writing, support a family, and travel. That's it. I'd be perfectly happy never hearing, "Aren't you...?" I'm really just in this because I like telling stories. Collecting "stuff" doesn't interest me much.

But I'm also aware that while writing is a solitary endeavor, publishing is not. Others will rely on me to "perform" to some degree so that they, too, can make money. This is, after all, a business. So I'm making my peace with the idea that promotion will become necessary, and figuring out where my boundaries are.

However, what you desire can be done if you feel this strongly. There are others who've maintained anonymity or (at least) a low profile. How much of yourself you put out there is ultimately up to you--no striving for mediocrity necessary. When it comes to your writing, give it your all.

You'd be surprised how many of us feel the way you do.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write so I can jet around the globe or roll around in money (although that would be kind of fun), but I do strive to put forth the best product I can. That goes for all areas of life--not just writing. I enter a race to win, not just to finish. But if I finish knowing I ran the best race I could, well that's perfectly acceptable to me. :D
[But I'll try again...and again...and again. Sense a pattern here? ;) ]

Anyway, do what makes you happy. And it sounds like you are so well done!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
What's mediocre? This word doesn't seem to be in my dictionary. :D

So no. I don't believe in doing as little as possible for the greatest rewards.

Mediocrity won't get me a place on an MA degree - there are only 6 Gothic Studies degrees in the world [only 1 in the UK.]

Mediocre writing and effort won't get me an agent or publishing deal.

Mediocrity in my real job isn't good enough. The only place it's good enough for is the slush pile.

I always strive for excellence.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I strive for mediocre in some things, but they are just hobbies or things I do with friends. Or Pass/Fail classes I hated having to take ;)

Bellydancing, for instance. It's fun, but mediocre works well for me :) I enjoy the classes, but I'm not going to actually do it anywhere. Eeek!

Reaction score
I never strive for mediocre in anything. That may be the end result, but if so-so is the best I can do, I can guarantee it is my best.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
hah. I started out strigiving for mediocre. Then I kind of thought, "hey maybe I can do better than that!" and raised the bar for myself.

But I know exactly what you mean :)

you can be an amazing super famous author and still be a hermit though, just sayin'

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should clarify.... I don't want to WRITE mediocre. In terms of fame... I'd like to just be in the middle. Good enough to continue to get book deals and earn a living, but not SO FREAKING OFF THE CHARTS that I'm jetsetting.

Ahem.... Stephanie Meyers is horrid as a writer, but she's famed to 11 on the dial. I don't think that necessarily writing ability and the fame thing are tied together;)

Reaction score
Well that's hardly mediocre, is it? I think of such words as applying to the quality of your product.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing mediocre about finding contentment in your personal life. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good with what I have, but I think I'd also be good with lots of money and as much fame as writers generally get. So if you're listening, ye Fates, don't be afraid to pile on the goodies. :D

Actually, my desired fame level would be to get on NPR -- I'd love to do an hour on On Point or Fresh Air. Or to goof around with Ira Glass on This American Life. Or even to co-star with the Car Guys, where I could testify to the danger of keeping heavy hardcovers on the dashboard.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is possible to honor your feelings on public appearances and personal exposure AND strive for excellence in your creative endeavors. If you produce an excellent work that the public gobbles up, you can still say "no" to the trappings that go with that kind of success. And if anyone says it will hurt your career, big deal. It won't make your work any less excellent.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I have to do my absolute best at everything.- this goes for writing, working, playing, and life. No exceptions, no excuses.

Just because you don't want to make big money and fly all over the place does not mean you are striving for mediocrity. It simply means you prefer not to be in the limelight. There is not a thing wrong or "mediocre" about that.

Accept yourself for who you are. :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Just because you don't want to make big money and fly all over the place does not mean you are striving for mediocrity. It simply means you prefer not to be in the limelight. There is not a thing wrong or "mediocre" about that.

Accept yourself for who you are. :)

Man, if only my RL had the peeps I have in the interwebz.

Thanks, everyone, for .... everything.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The vast majority of authors will never rise above being a mid-lister. So the odds of ending up one of those famous peeps who are flown around on book tours and booked on television interviews is about one-in-two-million. If it's even that high.

Always strive to be the very best you can be.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You never have to fly all over the world, go on month long book tours, etc. It's a choice. Some writers love it, some hate, some refuse to do it.

At any rate, that's a decision to make when you're asked, not before the opportunity arrives.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine is enjoying well-received reviews. She's always flying here, jetting to meet with agents, or being gone weeks at a time for this that and the other. She relishes it. She has appeared on many television and radio shows, speaking events, and has done her own readings for the audio books. She nets six figures per book deal.

It frightens me. Not that I think that I'd ever be that good. I don't think I could be. But I have my strengths and I think I know what I can do and I shy away from the things that I can't do.

Gah, I'm in a mood I suppose.

Reaction score
If you decide beforehand you 'can't' do something, then you never will.

Could I do the jet-setty things? Yes.

Would I want to? Most probably not.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.