PDA

View Full Version : Call for Submissions: Shakespearean-Themed Erotica [$30]

Liz Kelly
10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
New publisher imprint Smart Smut seeks erotica contributions for their first anthology. Stories should be 2,000 to 7,000 words and must have a strong tie to the works of Shakespeare in some way. All sexualities will be considered.

Feel free to interpret the idea of a Shakespearean theme creatively, and make certain there is also a strong sexual element. Possible ways of handling the theme could be:

An erotic re-telling of a play (or scene of a play) by William Shakespeare.
A story that takes place in Shakespeare's time or milieu and references him in some way (e.g. at the Globe Theatre)
A modern interpretation of Shakespeare's characters or themes
A story featuring actors and actresses working on a Shakespearean play
Erotic stories featuring Shakespearean research or with an academic setting.

Stories may be serious or humorous. We'd like to have as eclectic a mix as possible, as the Bard himself veered from bawdy comedy to dark tragedy.

Payment is $30 upon publication, and also will include a contributor's copy of the book.

Send stories by email (in the body of the message or attach a PDF file that includes your name, address and email).

***(EDIT) WE'RE KEEPING THE DEADLINE OPEN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS WE CONTINUE THE EDITING PROCESS. CONSIDER THIS AN OPEN CALL UNTIL EDITED TO SAY OTHERWISE. ***

Send submissions to ekellywrites@gmail.com

veinglory
10-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi there, could you possibly expand on what publisher this is an imprint of and how the anthology will be published?

Liz Kelly
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi. My fiance heads Inklings press --a very small book press that we are re-launching with a new name and website in the next month.

This is our first time publishing erotica.

We plan to publish the book through the-press-formerly-known-as-Inklings, though if the submission quality is high, I might seek to interest a bigger publisher.

I understand if experienced writers are reluctant to work with someone as new as I am to this. This will partly be a learning experience for me (in my first editorial position), so I will appreciate any and all feedback.

I have been consulting with some erotica publishers by email and phone to seek advice and mentoring, so I have some expertise far greater than mine to rely on.

Thanks for your interest. If you're not willing to take a chance on the new chick, I hope you might consider us if we get to volume 2!

veinglory
10-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info. So this will be paperback... and/or ebook?

I think I have something along these lines on the hard-drive. I will go digging for it after work. I am not sure how 'erotic' it is in the explicit sense...

Liz Kelly
10-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Traditional trade-sized paperback.

I look forward to seeing what you have!

Liz Kelly
12-16-2010, 04:21 AM
We love what has been submitted so far, and would like to see more of what the Absolute Write folks have up their sleeves. We're also increasing the payment to $30.

I have been asked about rights. We're only purchasing one-time rights. You keep the right to re-publish as you like. We're also interested in previously-published material if you have something that fits the bill.

Thanks,

Liz K.

SWickham
12-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks for posting this information. I'll check my sleeves to see if there's anything up there. ;)

Manuel Royal
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Wonder if anybody'd catch on if I just submitted a random six pages from Robert Nye's Falstaff.

Anne Lyle
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm sorely tempted. Maybe if I need to let off some steam (literally) after I've finished these revisions, I might have time.

Hmm, might have to use a pseudonym, though, if only to save my blushes when the rellies google my name...

pangalactic
01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Feel free to interpret the idea of a Shakespearean theme creatively, and make certain there is also a strong sexual element.Possibly a silly question, but how strong is too strong? Is there anything you don't want to see?

storylady
01-12-2011, 01:19 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I may have something you can use. Are you still looking for new stories?

veinglory
01-12-2011, 01:45 AM
The deadline is in the first post and applies to this year.

Liz Kelly
01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Pangalactic--

I'm considering including stories with varying levels of heat, so I'm flexible on how sexy the stories are.

As far as what I don't want to see: non-consensual sex, sex with minors, scatalogical scenes.

No bestiality, but with characters like Bottom in Midsummer, lines could conceivably be blurred.

I look forward to seeing what you have!

-Liz K.

snowsam
01-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Liz, I tried to submit something today, but the email bounced. Is there another way I can submit or should I try your email again?

thanks

sam

Liz Kelly
01-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi--

If your name is Sam, I received your submission earlier today. Either it didn't really bounce, or your second try was successful.

I'll be reviewing it shortly. Thanks for sending it in.

-Liz K.

snowsam
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks Liz, that's great, glad it went through to you ok.

Sam

HJGarrett
02-01-2011, 08:19 AM
I just joined the site last night to see this, but I do have something along these lines. I'll run over it, and get it off to you tomorrow.

Liz Kelly
03-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm so pleased with the quality of stories we received through this call! We still need a few more stories to round out the anthology. While any type of story is acceptable (see guidelines above), we are particularly short on stories with lesbian content.

We will consider all stories with both a strong Shakespearean and sexual theme.

Thanks!

Liz Kelly

J Whisketosky
04-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Liz,

I'm going over a draft of something I think might work for your anthology. As soon as I get it polished I'll send it off!