Let's get Jenna on Oprah, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone made plans to take this nation wide? Fox News loves this kind of thing as does Nancy Grace. Oprah spent two weeks down there. We should mount an email writing campaign to her. She responds well to this type of project and the more letters the better. One of her guests got 100 people to email her and that is how he got on...not that I watch or anything. There's the Today show, CNN, GMA, etc. Is there any move in the works to contact these people already? I'd hate to start emailing people only to learn this isn't the kind of thing ya'll want to do.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Great idea, scfirenice. I'll be happy to help with e-mailing if everyone decides to go that way.

Don't forget some of the other daily talk shows (Tony Danza, Ellen Degeneres, etc.)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Oops. That's what I get for going to put my daughter to bed in the middle of answering a post :Smack:

Oh, well. The offer stands if anyone wants to contact other shows.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I meant to comment, but got tracked elsewhere..

I came across this quote from Oprah as in an article from New Nation

Winfrey, 51, said she was shocked by government’s slow reaction to the tragedy. She told reporters: ‘I was sitting at home feeling f r u s t r a t e d and useless, like so m a ny o t h e r people. So I came down to personally assess how I could best be of service.

Let's scout for more, referring to her own words in the letters we send will have more impact.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to submit a show idea via their web interface - you never know.

here is what I said:

Idea:
Feature some of the various relief efforts begun in aid of Hurricane Katrina, with attention to the instigators of the relief efforts, the personal upheavals they have faced to coordinate/supply relief, and whatever heartwarming or dramatic stories unfolded for them or the people they were able to assist.

I would like to suggest Jenna Glatzer (www.jennaglatzer.com) as a guest on this show. She is in the process of coordinating an anthology 'Stories of Strength' with contributions from more than 100 writers which will be a long-term vehicle through which to donate 100% profits to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund.

Other guests might include loved-ones of the emergency services volunteers that headed into the danger areas to save lives, for a glimpse of the ordeal faced by those hidden heroes.

At a time when many are focussing on what hasn't been done we mustn't forget those who have dug deep and gone beyond expectations in aid of fellow humans.

It isn't instead of letter-writing, but the more contacts the better, and whose to say whether they might ditch the show idea but say 'hey, lets get more info on that book!'

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Now we follow it with a hundred letters from AWers and then she'll get the hint. This forum has a voice, lets go exercise it!!! Email Oprah and encourage, talk up this show idea.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Oprah's episodes from the Hurricane Katrina War Zone. What she said about sitting home and feeling helpless resonated through so many people. We all felt that way. Here is a story I hope you will be interested in. Jenna Glatzer, an author and freelance journalist has put together an anothogy called Stories of Stength. Best selling authors along with 100 other writers from around the world wrote pieces for the book. Six editors from major publications donated their time to prepare the stories for print, cover artists donated their work, even the publisher is working for free. Oprah is in publishing, she'll know how unusual this is! 100% of all the proceeds from this book go to the Red Cross as a way to raise money long term for diaster relief. All the publicity for this is word of mouth and driven by the people involved. Please, Please help us reach a large audience. Visit www.storiesofstrength.com for an introduction to the book. It is scheduled for release mid october. Thank you for your consideration.
Sheryl

This is my contribution. It was off the fly and not as eloquent as Alphabets, but it takes all kinds. Please everyone add to Oprah's mail.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Make sure Oprah invites all 100+ authors to Chicago.... :)

...and gives every one of them a brand new car!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sent:

Hello! I'm an admin at Absolute Write: www.absolutewrite.com/forums
The owner/operator of the site, author Jenna Glatzer, is spearheading a project to produce an anthology of writings with 100% of the profits going to the Red Cross for hurricane relief. Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider Jenna's brainchild for your show. You can find out more at www.storiesofstrength.com
Sincerely ... Charlie Stuart

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
LOL. Ken, you're silly. Hey, what about the NY daytime shows, like Regis and Kelly or the View?? Those are both close to where Jenna is, they would probably love it! Kelly is from down here in South Jersey too!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Personally I'd like to invite Jenna over, lock her up for a few days, give her massages and feed her grapes... (oh I know, I am creepy...)

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
LOL. Ken, you're silly. Hey, what about the NY daytime shows, like Regis and Kelly or the View?? Those are both close to where Jenna is, they would probably love it! Kelly is from down here in South Jersey too!

Good point.

Someone find the addys so we can send them a message too.

I'm working on the redcross angle at the moment. Contact your local chapter here, http://www.redcross.org/ my local chapter is chomping at the bit to be involved in PR and promo.

They are going to set up the redcross truck at the signing, and are setting up a press conference, believe that? ooooh, is my hair combed.

As luck would have it, the chapter-head's- wife, works part time at the bookstore. We are already in there for a duel signing-Ray- I'm sure.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You rock, Ken!
emoteHail.gif

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Ken Schneider said:
Good point.

Someone find the addys so we can send them a message too.

I'm working on the redcross angle at the moment. Contact your local chapter here, http://www.redcross.org/ my local chapter is chomping at the bit to be involved in PR and promo.

They are going to set up the redcross truck at the signing, and are setting up a press conference, believe that? ooooh, is my hair combed.

As luck would have it, the chapter-head's- wife, works part time at the bookstore. We are already in there for a duel signing-Ray- I'm sure.

Ken, I'm not that far from you -- heck, no one in Ohio is that far from anyone else. Let me know a date and I'll drive over from Columbus.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is great Patti. Meastro is willing as well.

If you're willing to come over for the signing, are you willing to sit in on the press conference?

I just got this rolling today, and don't know any details yet. The PR person for my chapter isn't in today, only the director. He mentioned the press conference.

The Redcross has the power to draw radio, T.V., and newspapers to a press conference.

Let me know, and I'll let you know the when I have the specifics.
Thanks Patti

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.