What's an E signature?

Dave Willhoite

Registered
Reaction score
I have been combing through Writer's Market and on line resources, and I found an agent to whom I would like to submit my work.

But, in her blog, she posts "you'd be surprised at how many people exclude their e-signature"

I don't know what an e-signature is, and I am pretty sure that I don't have one.

What is it? How does one get one?

The lady was actually kind enough to give prospective authors a detailed set of instructions on how to send her a query letter, and I figure that I should actually follow those instructions.

Thanks,
Dave

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never encounter an agent or editor who required an e-signature during the submission process. It makes no sense at all that the agent should have need of one.

I suggest you Google "e-signature". You'll learn more doing that than you would from a post explanation.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did an e-signature for one of my stories. It was pretty slick. The editor emailed me a pdf of the contract, and there was a fillable form field. I don't have the contract on this computer, but if I remember right the field came with text stating "I certify that I am the person named in the signature, blah blah." At first I thought it was laughably easy to forge, but then again how much easier than to forge a written document? They don't have a sig to compare to.

For work, we sometimes do e-signatures via email; an email from my boss from his email account constitutes his approval of the document.

EDIT: I'll post more details when I get home and check the contract if nobody else has answered your question by then.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think in this context she just means your name and contact info - even though that isn't technically what an e-signature is, I've heard some uninformed folks use that to describe the signature block at the bottom of your email - ie:

NAME
ADDRESS
TELEPHONE NUMBER
EMAIL
BLOG/SITE

So, look at her post again - I wonder if that is what she means. Because I have heard agents complain about people forgetting to include their contact info in their queries.

~suki

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I think in this context she just means your name and contact info - even though that isn't technically what an e-signature is, I've heard some uninformed folks use that to describe the signature block at the bottom of your email - ie:

NAME
ADDRESS
TELEPHONE NUMBER
EMAIL
BLOG/SITE

So, look at her post again - I wonder if that is what she means. Because I have heard agents complain about people forgetting to include their contact info in their queries.

~suki

My guess? She meant this.