How long...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
...before figuring they're not interested?

I queried an agent in early March with the first three chapters. They asked for the MS and said they'd get back to me within 4-6 months. About two weeks ago, I emailed them to see if they had any feedback. Not heard anything although two weeks is obviously nothing in this business. I won't be emailing them a third time, but how long do you think I should give it before scratching them off my list?

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
At this point (since you've nudged once) I'd move on and try not to think about it. I've had two requests for fulls a YEAR after the partial requests. Sweet to be able to say "Sorry, that ms is no longer available. Thanks for your interest!"

You're better off concentrating on the next query, the next agent, etc.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
At this point (since you've nudged once) I'd move on and try not to think about it.
You're better off concentrating on the next query, the next agent, etc.

Yeah, about what I thought. Oh well. On to my (rapidly shrinking) list of possible agents. Sigh.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I remember reading some of your stuff a year or two ago in SYW, seun. It was so good. It will happen for you.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've wondered this since I started hearing the "silence means no" approach. Hopefully such agents allow simultaneous submissions (which it seems nearly all do). And what I wouldn't do to be in heyjude's shoes: "Sorry, your request for a full is not for me at this time." Hee hee! That would feel better than it should.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan Bransford's take on this was that you should query politely once a month until you get a reply.
I entirely endorse this; when I was querying I never gave up on someone who had my full manuscript even if it took 18 months to get a reply. Some agents are not the most organised of people, they may have forgotten they have it.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Nathan Bransford's take on this was that you should query politely once a month until you get a reply.
I entirely endorse this; when I was querying I never gave up on someone who had my full manuscript even if it took 18 months to get a reply. Some agents are not the most organised of people, they may have forgotten they have it.

I figure if they've forgotten about it, they weren't too impressed with my ms to begin with.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They were impressed enough to request the full having seen 3 chapters.
They also said 4-6 months for a reply, and it has only gone a month beyond that. I think you are being premature in writing them off

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
They were impressed enough to request the full having seen 3 chapters.
They also said 4-6 months for a reply, and it has only gone a month beyond that. I think you are being premature in writing them off

Maybe but I do think that forgetting, as you put, isn't a great sign for the ms.

Of course, if they email me at some point in the future to tell me they liked it, that's dandy with me.

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I remember reading some of your stuff a year or two ago in SYW, seun. It was so good. It will happen for you.

You know, I was just about to write the same thing. I read the opening post to this thread and couldn't believe you were still un-agented, Seun.

Forget about them, move on. You WILL find someone - your writing is fantastic and I want to read your book. I still remember your post in SYW.

Chin up and keep moving.

Carla

Edit - sorry, just realised that they asked for a full. Definitely don't write them off yet. Leave a few more weeks and nudge again. Where are you based? Don't forget many agents are up to their eyeballs in work at the moment as they've just had Frankfurt.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You know, I was just about to write the same thing. I read the opening post to this thread and couldn't believe you were still un-agented, Seun.

Forget about them, move on. You WILL find someone - your writing is fantastic and I want to read your book. I still remember your post in SYW.

Chin up and keep moving.

Carla

Edit - sorry, just realised that they asked for a full. Definitely don't write them off yet. Leave a few more weeks and nudge again. Where are you based? Don't forget many agents are up to their eyeballs in work at the moment as they've just had Frankfurt.

Thanks. :) I'm about an hour from London if that gives you any frame of reference. Ordinarily, I don't think I'd be asking the how long question. After all, we all know how slowly this industry moves. But I figured as they mentioned the 4-6 months issue, I might have heard something by now. Maybe they'll get back to me eventually. In the meantime, on with the next book.

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, ok. So if you're in the UK then they are definitely all tied up with Frankfurt stuff right now. Even though it's been a week since they got back, most agents are still working on closing deals and typing up notes. It's a pretty bad time for them right now. (I know, isn't it always?)