Just offered a Publishing Contract

Shadiyaray

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching the threads and can't find anything out about this publisher. They offered me a contract, but I'm concerned with the royalty part. I'm new to publishing contracts so I would greatly appreciate your help with this one. Is 6% off the cover price too low? The royalty part is listed below. I know that there are a lot of scams out there so I wanted to make sure. They seem nice over the email, but I just want to be extra cautious.

The publisher is Secret Cravings Publishings.

Thanks!

SECTION VI. ROYALTY COMMISSIONS
A. PUBLISHER agrees to pay AUTHOR the following royalty commissions:
1. For single author title electronic edition, PUBLISHER will pay AUTHOR forty percent (40%) of the download price for sales of the WORK at PUBLISHER's website, or fifty percent (50%) of net sales PUBLISHER receives if sold through distribution outlets.
2. For single title trade paperback edition if WORK goes into print, PUBLISHER will pay AUTHOR six percent (6%) of the cover price.

thefreshchuff

Registered
Reaction score
I would've thought something around 8 to 10% more standard, but perhaps someone else will know more about this. Did you look up the publisher to see if they're in the Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check section?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
40% is pretty standard for an ebook royalty. 6% is a bit low for a trade paperback royalty; those are usually around 8%.

But yes, please check out the Bewares forum and if there is no thread for this publisher, start one.

:)

themanda

waiting sucks...
Registered
Reaction score
i am super new to this game as well, and readily admit i don't know the answer to your question. however, it seems to be pretty standard practice to approach an agent with a publishing contract in hand to see if they would like to represent you...the theory being that they have a better knowledge to negotiating terms with publishers and do all of that work for you, on your behalf.
i think that's what i would do were i in your (enviable) shoes.

congratulations on the contract!!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
i am super new to this game as well, and readily admit i don't know the answer to your question. however, it seems to be pretty standard practice to approach an agent with a publishing contract in hand to see if they would like to represent you...the theory being that they have a better knowledge to negotiating terms with publishers and do all of that work for you, on your behalf.
i think that's what i would do were i in your (enviable) shoes.

congratulations on the contract!!

An agent isn't going to be interested in a small epublisher contract with no advance, though. :( The contract-in-hand approach really only works if the contract is from a NY house, or one which at least pays decent advances.

Shadiyaray

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help with this! I'll reply back momentarily and let you know my decision. It's kinda leaning towards no as of right now.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
An agent isn't going to be interested in a small epublisher contract with no advance, though. :( The contract-in-hand approach really only works if the contract is from a NY house, or one which at least pays decent advances.

I'd be curious to how an agent would react to a larger epublishing house like Wild Rose or Samhain. What do you think?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'd be curious to how an agent would react to a larger epublishing house like Wild Rose or Samhain. What do you think?

Nope.

They *might* want to look at the ms to see if it's worth subbing elsewhere--if the blurb in your initial email really strikes their fancy--but they're not going to take on a client to negotiate an epub contract, even for the biggest houses. No advance+low sales (in NY terms)=no agent interest.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Nope.

They *might* want to look at the ms to see if it's worth subbing elsewhere--if the blurb in your initial email really strikes their fancy--but they're not going to take on a client to negotiate an epub contract, even for the biggest houses. No advance+low sales (in NY terms)=no agent interest.

Very true.

Samhain and EC may be big by E-pub standards, but I've never heard of an agent subbing to them. If I were going to approach an agent with an offer in hand, I'd first make sure that the agent had dealt with that publisher already. Actually, I choose where to submit my work based on which publishers agents deal with. If respected agents deal with the publisher, I feel confident they're a safe bet. (Faster way to get a reputable list of publishers than searching books at a stores,too)