Sample e-mails, phone scripts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it might be a good idea to gather in one place all the posts that contain examples of the contact messages, etc. we've posted so far. Hang in for a bit as I hunt them down.

I'll copy them over here, leaving the original posts in place since folks have responded to them. Feel free to add more, but let's keep this thread for samples only, like a reference book.

Bebacksoon.

ticktockticktockticktock....

Okay, I think I got them all. Lemme know by PM if I missed any.

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent this 'round to the family and friends, in case anyone is interested:

Hello All!

I just received word from Jenna Glatzer, editor-in-chief of Absolute Write, that my short story "Where the Shrewsbury Meets the Atlantic" will be included in an upcoming anthology to benefit victims of Katrina. All proceeds are being directed to the Red Cross. Some contributors and editors include: Orson Scott Card, Gwen Morgan, Robin Lee Hatcher, and many, many more. I would be honored and proud if each of you would purchase the book to show your support for this amazing cause. Here is the website for the project : www.storiesofstrength.com

Please stay tuned for more information regarding the October release date. I'll be adding information to my site as I receive it.

Thanks!

Sara

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From me, to the Banff-Calgary International Writer's Festival:

My name is Charlie Stuart. I live in Canmore and work in Banff, and write the Reel Review movie column included each week in the Banff Crag & Canyon and Canmore Leader newspapers. I am also an administrator at the Absolute Write Water Cooler writers forum (www.absolutewrite.com/forums), owned and operated by author Jenna Glatzer (www.jennaglatzer.com). We are a diverse online community with over four thousand members from around the world.
We at Absolute Write are in the process of producing an anthology of short stories, essays and poems centreing around the theme of strength. We hope to have this book available for purchase by mid-October. All proceeds from the sale of this book will go to the American Red Cross in aid of their hurricane relief efforts.

Since the time we hope to have the anthology ready to go coincides with Wordfest, I was wondering if there might be some way we could promote the book in conjunction with your event. We are preparing a press release, along with posters and flyers. One of my own stories will be included, which provides a local Bow Valley aspect to this that I hope will generate additional interest.

The majority of the contributors to the anthology are our members. Other writers who have contributed are science fiction author Orson Scott Card, and Christian author Robin Lee Hatcher.

I would be grateful for any and all help you might be able to give us in our efforts. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Kim Gogo:

I contacted a local tv station this afternoon. I said, "Hi, I am a local writer and I'm calling to inform you of a story you may be interested in covering. Dozens of international writers have come together online to collect inspirational poems, stories, and essays which are going to be published in an anthology called "Stories of Strength". All of the proceeds from the sale of this book will go to the Red Cross fund for Hurricane Katrina victims. The book will include such famous authors as Oscar Scott Card and Robin Lee Hatcher, and it will be available online in mid-October. One of my pieces will be included in this collection and I thought your station might be interested in this story." At that point, he said "Yes, I am interested." I said that was great b/c it will help a good cause and then I told him that a Press Release was being prepared and should be available within a week or so. He then explained that he had three calls on hold, and proceeded to give me his email address and asked me to send the information to him, including my contact information (telephone number). I said I would send him the information shortly and suggested, if I miss anything, he could call me and he said he would.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Alphabet:

To the Editorial Director (I had to choose from a list so hope I didn't goof there) of New Nation (Britains No1 Black Newspaper) via their web contact form.

This is what I sent him:

Quote:
Dear Mr Michael Eboda:

Subject: Hurricane Katrina fund raising efforts.

I would like to alert you to the soon to be released anthology called 'Stories of Strength' whose full profits will be donated to the American Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund. It is the brainchild of writer and author Jenna Glatzer (www.jennaglatzer.com) and contributed to primarily by writers from the AbsoluteWrite community which she founded and runs (www.absolutewrite.com/forums).

As a contributor to the anthology, and as a member of the AbsoluteWrite moderator team I am writing in this instance to enquire which departmental Editors might consider covering the newspiece, as it lends itself to straight news, human interest feature, or author interview.

We will be releasing a Press Release as soon as all details are finalised but your paper may prefer to also cover the story in its infancy and I am certainly happy to answer reporters questions or your further enquiries.

The anthology is intended to provide a long-term continuing source of relief funding, and to be a thoughtful gift that can be given by anyone to anyone for any occasion, but particularly by those who feel uncomfortable giving luxuries at a time when so many suddenly have so little.

I am sure so many of the readership of New Nation will fall into the category for whom the book is intended, or be eager and relieved to read of positive aid efforts.

Thank you for your attention. I look forward to your response.

Yours Sincerely
MyRealLifeName

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sample notes to Oprah via the web interface on her site.

From Alphabet:

here is what I said:

Idea:
Feature some of the various relief efforts begun in aid of Hurricane Katrina, with attention to the instigators of the relief efforts, the personal upheavals they have faced to coordinate/supply relief, and whatever heartwarming or dramatic stories unfolded for them or the people they were able to assist.

I would like to suggest Jenna Glatzer (www.jennaglatzer.com) as a guest on this show. She is in the process of coordinating an anthology 'Stories of Strength' with contributions from more than 100 writers which will be a long-term vehicle through which to donate 100% profits to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund.

Other guests might include loved-ones of the emergency services volunteers that headed into the danger areas to save lives, for a glimpse of the ordeal faced by those hidden heroes.

At a time when many are focussing on what hasn't been done we mustn't forget those who have dug deep and gone beyond expectations in aid of fellow humans.

From Sheryl (scfirenice):

I saw Oprah's episodes from the Hurricane Katrina War Zone. What she said about sitting home and feeling helpless resonated through so many people. We all felt that way. Here is a story I hope you will be interested in. Jenna Glatzer, an author and freelance journalist has put together an anothogy called Stories of Stength. Best selling authors along with 100 other writers from around the world wrote pieces for the book. Six editors from major publications donated their time to prepare the stories for print, cover artists donated their work, even the publisher is working for free. Oprah is in publishing, she'll know how unusual this is! 100% of all the proceeds from this book go to the Red Cross as a way to raise money long term for diaster relief. All the publicity for this is word of mouth and driven by the people involved. Please, Please help us reach a large audience. Visit www.storiesofstrength.com for an introduction to the book. It is scheduled for release mid october. Thank you for your consideration.
Sheryl

From me:

Hello! I'm an admin at Absolute Write: www.absolutewrite.com/forums
The owner/operator of the site, author Jenna Glatzer, is spearheading a project to produce an anthology of writings with 100% of the profits going to the Red Cross for hurricane relief. Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider Jenna's brainchild for your show. You can find out more at www.storiesofstrength.com
Sincerely ... Charlie Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.