I have question about series

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am unsure if you can help me. But I have almost finished my Novel with all the edits that I have done at least 5times and now have decide to take the first story of the series that is only 29pgs and add it to the Novel as the first 29pgs so the reader can see how it all starts.
As a volume 1 and 2. Has this been done?
I was adv by an author that has been writing for 20 years that both of
my stories are amazing.
I guess what i am really asking is if I was to send something like this to
an Agent would they even look at it? Because of it being Volume 1 and 2 in one book but will follow with other Novels. (Series) I write Crime Fiction.

Thanks for your time

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Linfred,

I'm not an agent, but here's my feedback.

So, your first volume will be 29 pages and your second volume novel length? Or, you are going to make it one novel, with the first 29 pages titled Volume 1 and the second novel length titled Volume II?

Well, 29 pages is not a novel by any means. A novel is generally 50,000 words or more.

My other question is--why not combine those first 29 pages with the novel, granted when joined they flow as one story?

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think agent would be interested in the 29 Volume I separately. Of course, before sending off a novel, you need to query first. Thus, I imagine you would mention this in your query.

I think series are difficult to sell as a series per se. It's more like if the first book sells, then the second in the series is written, and so on.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am unsure if you can help me. But I have almost finished my Novel with all the edits that I have done at least 5times and now have decide to take the first story of the series that is only 29pgs and add it to the Novel as the first 29pgs so the reader can see how it all starts.
As a volume 1 and 2. Has this been done?
I was adv by an author that has been writing for 20 years that both of
my stories are amazing.
I guess what i am really asking is if I was to send something like this to
an Agent would they even look at it? Because of it being Volume 1 and 2 in one book but will follow with other Novels. (Series) I write Crime Fiction.

Thanks for your time

No - you can not combine two separate books in one bound volume, certainly not as a debut. And 29 pages is too short to even be a novella.

So, what do you really have?

It sounds like you have 29 pages of backstory. Maybe just sprinkle some bits of it throughout the novel-length story to give the reader some of the background, without a 29 page separate story.

Also, have you obtained any peer critique? If not, consider posting the first 1,000 words of the story you intend to query to agents in the appropriate Share Your Work forum for critique.

good luck.

~suki

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know how long a Novel is. The 29pg is a short story I did. I was hoping it would have been a novel length but didn't end up that way.

Yes, I have had ppl read my the 29pg one and they love it and it was the Author and An agent as well and a Few friends. And as for the Novel yes I have had the agent read it and she love it as well. She did adv of edits and things to fix. But really likes where I am going with it.
I was just wondering about the Volume 1 and 2 because I like the first one very much and feel its done. I was thinking of doing sprinkles of it into the novel it self. But thought would the read understand where i was going. Since it is the begin and how the Killer became.
Thanks again for your fed back. I just wanted to answer what you two asked.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If the novel/Volume 2 stands fine on its own, I'd suggest simply querying it as a standalone novel with series potential. You can always reserve the 29 page story as an extra on your website if/when the novel is bought by a publisher.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Chaos sounds right. Query the full novel, and keep the 29 pp section. If your first novel is published and readers are clamoring for the origin story, you may find a good way to publish it or expand upon it -- you can sub it as a short, anthologize it, use it as part of a good prequel or a sequel by building in directions you haven't yet considered.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree, but that said--if the short story would work well for a first chapter, the publisher might want to see it. I actually sold a short story recently that I intend to be the first chapter of an intended novel. The publisher liked the story enough to start talks on continuing the short into a novel.

So it's quite possible it could work. But if the short is more of a "prologue" without the same characters as the novel, that might not work at all. It'll be up to the editor to make that decision. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I like ChaosTitan's idea... if you feel though that you really need the "volume 1" could it be a Prologue? I know those aren't generally liked but it's away to have it included in with the novel...

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to say Thanks to everyone for the adv. I also have to agree with what chaos Titan said too. The Novel it self could stand alone, I have been told by two people the story it self is great and just needs editing and adding a few things.
The short story does have the same Characters in it. But in the next one which is the Novel it self, the man Character is the Daughter not the father. There is a few more people but they do die.

All of you have giving me a lot to think able. Thank you very much. This is why I like this site so much, people here help and make you feel good.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to pick on you, but I hope your stories have considerably better grammar and punctuation than your posts. If not, you're in serious trouble.

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I always know when you are leaving me a message on here you always say something rude. First of all how I write on here is much different then in my books. I have been told by many Agents and even a few Authors that my grammar is getting much better.
But I guess someone like you that is prefect and never makes mistakes don't have to worry about such little things as grammar.
But To answer your question yes my books are much better in the grammar area because I take time and make sure of it. On here I just write what comes to me and go from there. I think there is many people in here that do the same.
Anyway you have a great weekend.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
James has a very, ah, blunt way of putting things, but he isn't incorrect. On internet forums, words are our only real means to communicate with each other. Words are how we leave impressions.

Sure, there are members who post without real thought and don't care what people think of it. However, there are also many, many members who realize that our words reflect on ourselves as writers, professional or otherwise. And showing professionalism at all levels is extremely important in this industry, whether it's commenting on a blog or posting on a message board.

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, ChaosTitan

Yes, this is true somewhat. Because I do care very much for what I write and want my reader to enjoy what I write so there for my grammar will be prefect.
But in all honestly are we all writing prefect in here so when people or other writer or Agents or whom ever reads this thinks wow she is prefect at her grammar?
I think not, because we all have some grammar problems. That is why we have editors and publishers as well. We do the very best we can to make sure our grammar is great, but we do slip from time to time.
I am not trying to sounded mean or be rude about this but I just feel when I come here, I want to post or reply to someone and not worry if my grammar is prefect. But then again that is just me. I am just saying how I feel. I know when I do speak with my Agent she will say Linda, your grammar is getting better but needs work. And she has said this but she also did adv to me that I have come along way from not great grammar at all.
But hey if someone wants to say how they feel about my grammar let them, but not every time I post something. Also not the same person every time. But Hey it's just my thoughts out loud.

Have a great night everyone.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Linfred4 - one more thought on posting more well-written posts. Fair or not, it's general courtesy to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation as much as possible here - and it will help people take your posts seriously.

So you are free to post as you wish, but you might find you get more responses to your posts and more positive interactions if you take the time to post with more proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. No, not every post is perfect. But more readable formatting and a little more attention to grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., might help you in your interactions.

Hugs for the feelings of being attacked, but I do think most of us are trying to help and be encouraging. :)

~suki

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Linfred, I believe that we should strive to use proper spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure every single time we write, even when posting here. It helps us to communicate clearly, as well as encourages other people to jump into conversation with us. I believe is what other members have been trying to say, even James. Truly, nobody is trying to be rude or anything.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
It may be the case that you are unaware of how your language apears to others. You may believe your grammar to be good enough. By having somebody like James point out this is not the case, it enables us to help you to improve. There are plenty of resources out there to learn from.
James may be blunt, but he is on the money here (sorry!). If your posts in this thread are indicative of your general grammer, you are not ready to query. I will go one further and say I am not reasured by your saying your MS grammar is better - that you are unable to write fluidly on a messageboard suggests to me you would be better served to go and study how to write. I'm not saying this to be mean or insult you, I'm saying it to try and help. Every unpolished query you send out is one agent to cross off your list. While an agent will help you, ensure you are not presenting them with an MS which is not worth the time they need to invest in it.

Also, agents frequently Google people. Imagine if an agent were to find your posts on this board. The impression you leave them with is that you have basic literacy issues (or are typing on a mobile phone). Again, not trying to be mean or insult (I have basic literacy issues and my life is one long homonym corner), just trying to help.

Good luck!

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do have to say what all of you wrote makes sense to me.
So, I thank you very much. Yes, my grammar isn't the greatest and I use short form
a lot. I think it is because I do use my mobile phone a lot. Also I would love to take a writing course to learn more. I love to write and would hate for anyone to think I am lazy or not trying. I guess I should just be careful how I write or post on here, till my grammar is better. Sorry if I am not great at it. But will work hard to be better.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Well, I do have to say what all of you wrote makes sense to me.
So, I thank you very much. Yes, my grammar isn't the greatest and I use short form
a lot. I think it is because I do use my mobile phone a lot. Also I would love to take a writing course to learn more. I love to write and would hate for anyone to think I am lazy or not trying. I guess I should just be careful how I write or post on here, till my grammar is better. Sorry if I am not great at it. But will work hard to be better.

You go! Just keep working at it!

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks SusanL, I am trying. I think I need to read what I write before I post it and take the time to check my grammar. Instead of just clicking and go.
I really enjoy coming here and learning new things and also giving my input as well.
So, I will keep working at it.