PDA

View Full Version : The Press Release Thread

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 12:16 AM
The PR expert I contacted is going to give us some tips, but she's booked up until October, so I went ahead and finished the draft of the press release. Take a look and see if you have comments. The ordering info obviously is NOT on the site yet, and all of the book's details (exact page count, ISBN, release date, price, etc.) need to be added once it's uploaded to Lulu.

---

Writing Community Unites to Write “Stories of Strength” for Katrina Relief

As they watched the coverage of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation, writers who had gathered on the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards decided not to sit by helplessly any longer. Instead, they got their pens moving—writing uplifting essays, short fiction, and poetry on the theme of “strength.” The result is the 320-page anthology STORIES OF STRENGTH, with 100 percent of the proceeds to go to the Red Cross for disaster relief.

Headed by author Jenna Glatzer, whose latest book is the authorized biography Celine Dion: For Keeps, this project attracted many well-known writers, such as famed science fiction author Orson Scott Card and Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher. Both contributed stories, and Card’s sheet music for a hymn co-written with Mark Mitchell leads the anthology.

Hundreds of submissions poured in from all over the world in just two weeks, and more than 100 writers’ works were chosen for this project. A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals, polished the anthology, and a volunteer graphic designer contributed the cover art.

[Local writer XYZ’s story “yyy” is among the works included in STORIES OF STRENGTH. XYZ says, “yyy.”]

The book is a tribute to the human spirit, containing mostly true stories of people who’ve had to fight to find strength in challenging situations ranging from the death of a child to natural disasters, paralysis, and facing the much-feared Library Troll. At times tear-jerking, at times humorous, this book is guaranteed to lift spirits and remind readers that human strength knows no boundaries.

“Many people have said they plan to order copies for everyone on their holiday list,” says Jenna Glatzer. “What a fantastic way to give a present that also helps people rebuild their lives.”

The writers hope to turn their words into sizeable long-term contributions to the Red Cross. In addition to the writers' donation, publishing company Lulu is also donating its profits from the book directly to the Red Cross.

Most writers are available for interviews and book signings.

Ordering details are at www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/).

###

The part in brackets is where writers can fill in either a quote about why they chose to be involved, or a little about themselves. Local papers do love to run stories about local people doing good things!

So... let me know what you think.

Richard
09-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I know why it's been phrased like this, but I can't help but notice that for the last couple of years, Lulu has been a printer every time it's been mentioned, but now it's morphed into a publishing company.

OneTeam OneDream
09-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Already sent out to 5 newspapers. Will send the press release to tV and newspapers this afternoon.

You rock Jenna!

Christine N.
09-25-2005, 12:34 AM
I like it! I'll be working on getting them out this week. Or would it be better to wait until all the information is in?? Thoughts? I'd hate to get people all worked up when they're not able to order it for another month - six weeks.

Closer to release is better, yes?

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Sound good Jenna. I'll hold on until we get the rest of the info for ordering.

Edit: My quote for the press release.

"I can only hope that my fellow citizens will help with this project, and consider it not only chicken soup for their soul, but for the souls of those who are victims of the gulf coast tragedy. The joyous and hope filled stories included are sure raise the spirts of all who read, Stories of Strength."

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Remember folks, this is just a draft, not the final official release!

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 12:50 AM
I know why it's been phrased like this, but I can't help but notice that for the last couple of years, Lulu has been a printer every time it's been mentioned, but now it's morphed into a publishing company.

I know. I was on the fence about how to refer to them, too. I didn't want to call them a "publisher," so I went with "publishing company."

Christine's right-- you can certainly use this info if you want to make phone calls and drum up early interest, but hold off on sending it out as a press release until we have the ordering info in place.

OneTeam OneDream
09-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Remember folks, this is just a draft, not the final official release!

yeah, I just contacted them about the idea, not actually the official release. Just want to keep those contacts warm.

Alphabet
09-25-2005, 12:53 AM
containing mostly true stories

that sounds a bit misinterpretable - perhaps 'including true stories' would be better?
mostly true sounds like parts of each story were made up - and I don't think that's what was meant.

other comment is that some editors may ditch the release when they read reference to 'latest book Celine Dion' as they may think it is a self-promotional story. I understand you include that just to show that the anthology is headed by a professional, but placed in the second paragraph it reads a bit dangerously. Could that information go nearer the end of the release so that by that time it would be clear to anyone exactly how selfless you have been, Jenna?

for example

Selected from the hundreds of submissions that poured in from all over the world in just two weeks, more than 100 writers’ works were chosen. Headed by author Jenna Glatzer, whose latest book is the authorized biography Celine Dion: For Keeps, this project also attracted many well-known writers, such as famed science fiction author Orson Scott Card and Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher. Both contributed stories, and Card’s sheet music for a hymn co-written with Mark Mitchell leads the anthology. A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals, polished the anthology, and a volunteer graphic designer contributed the cover art.

It isn't a lot further down in this version, but where it goes from your own acheivements to those of the star-writers you managed to snag it just comes across better?

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Excellent-- yes, I'll fix the wording on the "mostly true." I hadn't read it like that.

Re: my own book-- yep, I had similar reservations. Problem is that I want to get OSC right on top of the release as much as possible, and to make sure that the book sounds like a "major" release right away, because editors skim. I can't get away with just my name, because the general public doesn't know me, so I need to include an impressive credential-- but let me play with the wording so I can make sure it doesn't come across as self-promoting.

Paint
09-25-2005, 01:11 AM
"other comment is that some editors may ditch the release when they read reference to 'latest book Celine Dion' as they may think it is a self-promotional story. I understand you include that just to show that the anthology is headed by a professional, but placed in the second paragraph it reads a bit dangerously. Could that information go nearer the end of the release so that by that time it would be clear to anyone exactly how selfless you have been, Jenna?"

I disagree with Alphabet here. I like this exactly where it is in context. I totally agree with letting the reader know immediately that this is a professional author. I feel that would make them want to read on. I think these things are glanced at and you had better have a grabber or it will get tossed.
Paint

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Perhaps, Jenna -- do the same thing with Orson and Robin, put one of their titles as you did with yours. Then the release is touting the writing chops of the contributors as well.

For OSC, I'd mention Ender's Game. It's his most famous work, and his latest book refers to it on the cover.

PS -- cool Chris, I just wasn't sure if folks were sending out the draft. Heck knows I want to myself!

Richard
09-25-2005, 01:15 AM
"I can only hope that my fellow citizens will help with this project, and consider it not only chicken soup for their soul, but for the souls of those who are victims of the gulf coast tragedy

Is 'chicken soup for the soul' fairly generic in the US? I know chicken soup is a pretty standard term for healing over there, but I only know that specific phrase from the book series, and you know lawyers...

As for the Jenna bit, a few tweaks that I thought of

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed Celine Dion biography 'For Keeps', this project attracted contributions from many well-known writers, including an original hymn by award-winning science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, and a (whatever) from Christian romance writer Robin Lee Hatcher.

With over 100 pieces from writers all over the world, and the gracious efforts of prominent editors and graphic designers, Stories of Strength is a tribute to the human spirit: celebrating true stories of courage and endurance in challenging situations that range from the death of a child to living through natural disasters, to smaller-scale trials, like dealing with the local Library Troll.

Tear-jerking and humourous in equal measure, Stories of Strength is guaranteed to lift spirits and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

Just a few minor scanning tweaks to get to the meat of things - my gut feeling as a journalist was that there was far too much unnecessary detail in there, although it's always a fine line.

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 01:20 AM
A tiny polishing type tweak in the second paragraph

Instead, they got their pens moving
Perhaps this to give a bit more punch....

Instead, they got their quills and keyboards moving

Richard
09-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Uh...mine stayed exactly where it was. On my computer desk :)

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 01:30 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif Maybe just 'keys' then, hehe.

I was thinking that 'pen' is rather a bland, generic word. Using quills and keys alludes to the opposite ends of the writing spectrum -- by hand as it was first done, all the way to the latest technology. Plus the alliterative 'k' sound reads musically, to my ear anyway.

Richard
09-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Perhaps 'set to work with ink and keyboards'? Slightly more active, although I generally shiver at the use of quills - for writing magazines, perhaps, but I don't think it's usually a good word for mainstream use.

Shwebb
09-25-2005, 01:36 AM
A tiny polishing type tweak in the second paragraph

Perhaps this to give a bit more punch....

Instead, they got their quills and keyboards moving

How about "Instead, they put their quills and keyboards to work"?

mommie4a
09-25-2005, 01:39 AM
1. I saw the "mostly true" thing too! as in, not everything in the story is true, but kinda sorta. Glad you're fixing that.

2. I kind of side with Alphabet re: the Jenna book thing but it's your gig - I trust your judgement. I agree, you need the Celine thing in their to have it be known.

3. As tenderly as I can say this: I'm Jewish - there's a big Jewish community here, I'd LOVE to get this to them and have it go through them. As has been in the news, nationwide, the Jewish organizations mobilized very very quickly after Katrina.

But...just how Christian are the stories? No one will care if they are oriented to FAITH, but if there's a lot of Jesus in it, then I would obviously not direct the book to that audience. (she said as politely as possible)

4. Do you want to mention the publishing houses? Would that be a nice plug for them and good name recognition/legitimacy for the rest of us?

JennaGlatzer
Damn, Richard, you're good. Nice tweaks!

ChunkyC
Like that too, Richard. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteThumbs.gif I was going for an encapsulation of the history of writing, to be reflective of the broad range of writers in the project. I suppose since this is a press release we should avoid getting too 'poetic.' Dang fiction writers, eh? Always looking for the similie and metaphor in every blasted thing. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

PS -- just noticed your suggestion too, Shwebb. Very good! Poor Jenna, you're gonna have so many options....

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
But...just how Christian are the stories?

That's a very fair question. I'll have to reread the "Faith" section to be sure, but I can think of at least one Jesus-specific mention. Most, I think, just refer to God and prayer. I'd be happy to show you the manuscript in just a couple of days, though, so you can see what you think.

Do you want to mention the publishing houses?

Of what?

mommie4a
09-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Jenna. That would be great.

Oops re: publishing houses. I was thinking of this sentence:

"A team of nine volunteer editors, several of whom work for prominent magazines and literary journals..."

Would you want to mention the magazines or journals? For example, I know a lot of freelance writers and readers of women's magazines will recognize Jennifer Lawler's name.

Just a thought - only a good thought if it would boost recognition, i.e., "...several of whom work for prominent magazines such as Woman's Day, Family Circle," and so on.

Richard
09-25-2005, 02:19 AM
I think if we start to eliminate these things, then the list will become longer of other things to delete. There's always going to be choices made my people and there is never anyway to please everyone although we try. Religion is a touchy subject, but how can you start to eliminate such at this point in the game. Being a person that likes wheat bread and another likes white. There are choices to make, as one can buy what one likes. The book as she mentions has some of the stories that relate to Jesus or God, but should that be the ones that we won't read, if they bother us that much?

That's not what I said. I have no objection to those stories being there along with all the others, I just mean that given the range of content in the book, making a big deal out of the Christian-themed entries would be a mistake, especially in a general press release. Rather than opening the market, it would restrict it, which doesn't help when you want to sell as many copies as possible.

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Is 'chicken soup for the soul' fairly generic in the US? I know chicken soup is a pretty standard term for healing over there, but I only know that specific phrase from the book series, and you know lawyers...

I thought of that Richard.

I talked to my son who is a Grad student at the Scripps school of Journalism.

He assured me that it would fly.

He said the exact wording is not used, therefore it doesn't apply.

chicken soup for their soul, vs. (Chicken soup for the soul ©)

The exact wording must be followed by a T.M., (R) or (C) when used though, and is acceptable. This may be used for informational purposes, (as in press releses, news stories, mag articles and the like).

Ken

Richard
09-25-2005, 02:27 AM
He said the exact wording is not used, therefore it doesn't apply.

That's not true. There's plenty of grounds for legal action if something is deemed to be trying to piggy-back on another product's success. (The copyright symbol itself was effectively nuked by the Berne Convention.)

By using that phrase, you're in a grey-area that could cost you a lot of money if there are any prissy lawyers around. Unless 'chicken soup for the soul' is up there with 'Mom's apple pie' and 'land of the free', I would seriously rethink the use of it in your quote.

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 02:32 AM
That's not true. There's plenty of grounds for legal action if something is deemed to be trying to piggy-back on another product's success. (The copyright symbol itself was effectively nuked by the Berne Convention.)

By using that phrase, you're in a grey-area that could cost you a lot of money if there are any prissy lawyers around. Unless 'chicken soup for the soul' is up there with 'Mom's apple pie' and 'land of the free', I would seriously rethink the use of it in your quote.

He is the educated expert, he can pay the bill. LOL.

OneTeam OneDream
09-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Hey everyone, how about we all remember the great cause we are doing this for..........

mommie4a
09-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey - by submitting a piece, we submit to Jenna's editorial decisions. Come on, we all are professionals - we know that.

That she's asked our input is great, that she answers our questions is great. But in the end - any other issues, please please please - not in this thread, you know?

We all want the book to do the best it can for the people its intended to benefit. Come on. :)

Vanessa
09-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey - by submitting a piece, we submit to Jenna's editorial decisions. Come on, we all are professionals - we know that.

That she's asked our input is great, that she answers our questions is great. But in the end - any other issues, please please please - not in this thread, you know?

We all want the book to do the best it can for the people its intended to benefit. Come on. :)

I simply agree.

maestrowork
09-25-2005, 02:47 AM
We want to reach and impact the widest range of people as possible because this is a worthy cause. Don't let politics and religion get in the way, please.

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 02:47 AM
PAUSE! GO TO YOUR CORNERS! ;)

Okay, seriously. The press release doesn't emphasize religion in any way. It emphasizes the strength of the human spirit, which doesn't have any religious implications. The only use of the word Christian in the press release is when referring to Robin Lee Hatcher, to identify what sort of writing she's known for.

The sections in the book are:

Strength of Spirit
Physical Strength
Strength of Faith
Role Models of Strength
Strength of Community
Strength of Love
Borrowing Strength
Strength in Fiction

So... "faith" is one section of the book, neatly marked so those who don't want to read it can skip right over it. I don't know what religions the writers who submitted to the faith section subscribe to, and I don't care. I found them to be touching stories involving faith in a higher power, so I included them.

There's no argument here, so please don't look for one (not pointing to anyone in particular). The selections for the book ARE final, they do NOT emphasize one religion over another, and the press materials won't, either. As far as marketing it to a specific religious group, that's when it becomes a fair question. I don't know if the stories in the faith section would be seen as "too Christian" to sell it in a Jewish bookstore (or any other religiously-themed store). But it's certainly not a "Christian book." It's a book about strength, from all sorts of people with all sorts of backgrounds. That's it. ;)

P.S. Now deleting posts on this topic.

Shwebb
09-25-2005, 02:56 AM
:horse: (Never mind, Jenna's posted late on my PC.)

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 02:58 AM
I have faith that my post was deleted because Jenna thought it needed to be. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 03:02 AM
LOL! Nothing personal meant about any of the deletions-- just cleaning up the topic so we can keep discussing the issue at hand (the press release) and not get sidetracked by problems that don't even exist. ;)

Moondancer
09-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Faith has nothing to do with a religion... You can have faith in a lot of things, including yourself, without ever thinking about a religion. I agree that we should leave the politics and religion out of this.

Christine N.
09-25-2005, 03:12 AM
I liked those tweaks too, Richard. It also gives the rest of a good 'template' if you will on how to include our own information, if we've happened to publish anything prior.

Good job!

Alphabet
09-25-2005, 03:28 AM
I'll let the legal eagles peck it out between them, but it does strike me that it could be the biggest mistake 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' owners ever made if they chose to battle this charitable 100% profits-donated anthology over a supposed infringement of this sort... and I am talking not about who would win the case, but about the terrible PR it would create. Although, all news is good news, and we DO want to make sure people know the book exists LOL.

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 03:33 AM
:ROFL: Yes! Get sued, Ken! We'll make headlines!

Okay, seriously, the problem could be rather simply averted by changing the wording to "comfort" or "inspiration" or something instead of "chicken soup."

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 03:38 AM
I'll let the legal eagles peck it out between them, but it does strike me that it could be the biggest mistake 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' owners ever made if they chose to battle this charitable 100% profits-donated anthology over a supposed infringement of this sort... and I am talking not about who would win the case, but about the terrible PR it would create. Although, all news is good news, and we DO want to make sure people know the book exists LOL.

I have e-mailed the powers of the owner of Chickens. Since it is clear no one has ever said that phrase before they did. lol.

I have included my quote for their approval without any mention of why, how and where it may appear except for in a press release.

If they say, no you bad boy, I will change it to something equally compelling.

I hereby coin the phrase "Chicken soup for my cold."

in fun my friends, Ken

P.S. Meastro and I will be doing a duel signing for, Stories of Strength anthology. I am setting the signing up for us, cause I can.

If they wouldn't approve of the signing I'd put in my newpaper article the next day.

LOCAL BOOKSTORE SHUNS RELIEF EFFORT BY FAMOUS AUTHORS. LOL.

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 03:45 AM
:roll:

Okay, here's the press release as it currently stands...

Writing Community Unites to Write “Stories of Strength” for Katrina Relief

As they watched the coverage of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation, writers who had gathered on the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards decided not to sit by helplessly any longer. Instead, they set their pens and keyboards to work—writing uplifting essays, short fiction, and poetry on the theme of “strength.” The result is the 320-page anthology Stories of Strength, with 100 percent of the proceeds to go to the Red Cross for disaster relief.

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed biography Celine Dion: For Keeps, this project attracted contributions from many well-known writers, including a story and an original hymn by award-winning science fiction novelist Orson Scott Card, and a short story from Christian romance author Robin Lee Hatcher.

With more than 100 pieces from writers all over the world, and the gracious efforts of prominent editors and graphic designers, Stories of Strength is a tribute to the human spirit: celebrating true stories of courage and endurance in challenging situations that range from the death of a child to living through natural disasters, to smaller-scale trials, like dealing with returning an overdue book to the local Library Troll.

[Local writer XYZ’s story “yyy” is among the works chosen for Stories of Strength. XYZ says, “yyy.”]

Alternating between tear-jerking and humorous, Stories of Strength is guaranteed to inspire and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

“Many people have said they plan to order copies for everyone on their holiday list,” says Jenna Glatzer. “What a fantastic way to give a present that also helps people rebuild their lives.”

The writers hope to turn their words into sizeable long-term contributions to the Red Cross. In addition to the writers’ donations, publishing company Lulu is donating its profits from the book to the Red Cross.

Most writers are available for interviews and book signings.

Ordering details are at www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/).

###

Alphabet
09-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Much as 'from your keyboard to....' but perhaps we should say that Lulu are donating their profits from the book.

:ROFL:

Apart from that it looked wonderful.. so, who is this XYZ then.. enquiring mindless want to know!!!

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 04:07 AM
I like it a lot, Jenna. Now all I have to do is come up with something for my bit in the middle that won't look like mindless maunderings next to the rest of it. :tongue

Vanessa
09-25-2005, 04:08 AM
As usual very professional! I like!
Now can I swoop this baby up and take off with it to that big ole' loooong list of contacts I have floating in another thread? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

maestrowork
09-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Once the PR is finalized, I will send it out to my local outlets.

WTG!

(Now, I just need to find a naked picture of mine to send along...)

ChunkyC
09-25-2005, 04:13 AM
:Smack: Oh great, Ray's gonna turn it into a pressed ham release.

scfirenice
09-25-2005, 04:15 AM
It it final? Can we use it? Should we print it out or will we get an email or something.

maestrowork
09-25-2005, 04:20 AM
May I suggest posting the finalized versions of everything in a separate closed/locked thread? Some of us might get disoriented scanning through all these threads...

aruna
09-25-2005, 10:20 AM
That's a very fair question. I'll have to reread the "Faith" section to be sure, but I can think of at least one Jesus-specific mention. Most, I think, just refer to God and prayer. I'd be happy to show you the manuscript in just a couple of days, though, so you can see what you think.

Of what?

Jenna, will the book be available in the UK, and if so, how? Not sure how these things work with self-pubbed books. Would it make sense to have a UK edition printed over here? If so I'd be happy to look into it.
I am sure it will sell just as well over here.

Alphabet
09-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Oh I was assuming it would be a book with a US, UK, and EUR price on it.
Not so?

aruna
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh I was assuming it would be a book with a US, UK, and EUR price on it.
Not so?
I should hope so. But, if it is shipped to the UK from the US, how will it be distributed? I just wanted to find out how this works.

Richard
09-25-2005, 01:04 PM
It'll be sent through the post like any other Lulu book - probably extra P&P to pay, and a longer delivery time, but they'll send books anywhere you like.

aruna
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
It'll be sent through the post like any other Lulu book - probably extra P&P to pay, and a longer delivery time, but they'll send books anywhere you like.

Well, I hope that later on something else is worked out. I never order books from the US - the postage is prohibitive, and I've waited weeks for stuff that has been sent via airmail.

Ken Schneider
09-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Before any releases are sent we should have the release date and ISBN-ordering info for any articles the paper might write.

Sending it out now is still premature. All we would be doing is telling them what was done. The purpose is to sell the book.

So, I'd hang on until we can get the rest of the info included.

Ken

Richard
09-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Well, I hope that later on something else is worked out

Could be tricky- it would need another cash jab for a fresh ISBN and listings, as well as a European POD along the lines of Lulu (most of them over here want up-front setup fees).

maestrowork
Before any releases are sent we should have the release date and ISBN-ordering info for any articles the paper might write.

Agreed.

ChunkyC
Yup. Jenna might make a final tweak or two.

We can probably just copy it from here into our e-mail and word processing programs since we'll need to add our personalized/localized bits anyway before sending it out. I've pasted it into a file so I can get really familiar with it and work on my additions, but will wait for any remaining polishes, and for the official 'go' from Jenna.

MarkPettus
09-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Ken

This is an important point. You should only send this press release to each outlet one time, and you want it to have ordering information. The odds are very good that the press release will be published exactly as it is received.

I recommend each of you add something personal at the top in handwriting:

Hi, I live here in Podunk Township, and helped put together this effort for the hurricane victims. I'd appreciate any exposure you can give us. Thanks...

Even if the only thing you did was send out press releases, you helped out, so you aren't misleading the editor, and the personal touch will help pull this up out of the slush pile.

Vanessa
09-25-2005, 05:50 PM
This is an important point. You should only send this press release to each outlet one time, and you want it to have ordering information. The odds are very good that the press release will be published exactly as it is received.

I recommend each of you add something personal at the top in handwriting:

Hi, I live here in Podunk Township, and helped put together this effort for the hurricane victims. I'd appreciate any exposure you can give us. Thanks...

Even if the only thing you did was send out press releases, you helped out, so you aren't misleading the editor, and the personal touch will help pull this up out of the slush pile.

Very good point!

JennaGlatzer
09-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, I hope that later on something else is worked out. I never order books from the US - the postage is prohibitive, and I've waited weeks for stuff that has been sent via airmail.

Aruna, I know it'll be available on Amazon.co.uk, and I believe it'll be able to be ordered through any UK bookstore as well. I'll check into it.

Richard
09-25-2005, 09:04 PM
For comparison:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411622987/qid=1127667846/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-7294978-7805454

aruna
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
For comparison:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411622987/qid=1127667846/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-7294978-7805454

Fantastic! And the price is fine, as well.

Shwebb
09-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I just spoke to my local Red Cross--I know the Financial Services Director there. She said that there may not be a great deal they can do for us locally, but she is giving me the contact info for the National Red Cross. She said they have a store online, and people could potentially buy the book through them, and advertise it on their website.

Is anyone working on the National Red Cross angle? She will be emailing me the info, and I will be glad to pass it to the right person.

scfirenice
09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Is there any word on the official press release?

September skies
09-28-2005, 08:26 PM
What is the latest news on the official press release? I am new on here (joined last night) but have been reading posts off and on for a few months.

I have a story in the SOS and am so ready to hit my local newspapers, radio shows, and several local magazines in my area with the press-release information.

Also....is there a way to find out if someone else from our immediate area is also in the SOS collection? I wouldn't want to leave someone out of the press release or .....have multiple press releases sent to the same place.

Alphabet
09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I think that the retail price of the book will be one of the things needed for the press release, and far as I know that hasn't yet been decided?

ChunkyC
09-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Hiya September!

The release won't be finalized for a while yet. Probably not until we are much closer to the release date. That hasn't been nailed down, and can't be while we still have the cover to deal with and copyediting to be done, etc etc....

As for localities, there's a thread where everyone is posting where they're from. At some point, I just hafta go in there and start making a list....

BJ Bourg
09-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Jenna,

I loved the press release.

Ken,

I agree that we should wait until all the information is available before sending out the press releases.

Also, I'll be getting business cards made for my book ABSENT THE SOUL. The book cover will be on the front of the card and the ordering information on the back. I was thinking about doing the same thing for STORIES OF STRENGTH. Business cards are cheap to order and they're easy to distribute. Any thoughts?

September skies
09-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Also, I'll be getting business cards made for my book ABSENT THE SOUL. The book cover will be on the front of the card and the ordering information on the back. I was thinking about doing the same thing for STORIES OF STRENGTH. Business cards are cheap to order and they're easy to distribute. Any thoughts?

Is that allowed? I wouldn't mind making some too and distributing them. I have received word from 32 people (family and friends) who are excited about the book and asking where they can buy it. One person said he'll buy several to give away as gifts.

September

Christine N.
09-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Since the flyers aren't ready yet...
I'm planning on collecting addresses on Saturday during the Book Festival. Since I don't have a definate date for my own book's release party, I'm going to get people to write down their address so I can send them info when I have it. I'll also send the info for SoS to the same people.

paprikapink
09-30-2005, 08:41 AM
What is the latest news on the official press release? I am new on here (joined last night) but have been reading posts off and on for a few months.

I have a story in the SOS and am so ready to hit my local newspapers, radio shows, and several local magazines in my area with the press-release information.

Also....is there a way to find out if someone else from our immediate area is also in the SOS collection? I wouldn't want to leave someone out of the press release or .....have multiple press releases sent to the same place.

Hi September,

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm also in the Central Valley and have a story in SoS. And I'm a big chicken. I can be braver for a good cause like this one, but still, I gotta muster a lotta gumption to do it. Are you anywhere near Yolo County?

P.S. Happy birthday!!

September skies
10-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi Paprikapink,

No, I am not near you. I'm in a small town between Fresno and Bakersfield.
(thank you for the birthday wishes) :partyguy:

scfirenice
10-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Any news on the release??? I have a interview monday.

ChunkyC
10-06-2005, 08:39 PM
No official word yet on when we can send out the official press release. As some of you already know, due to red tape issues, Jenna has had no choice but to revise the anticipated publication date. Our hoped for availability date for the book is now November 1st.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the press release is to make an official announcement to the world of what the anthology is, that it will be available for purchase on a specific date, and to present the specific details on how to purchase it.

However, this doesn't mean you can't paraphrase some of the content of the draft of the press release when talking to folks about the book. You can certainly tell folks that we hope to have it out by November first. Just don't say it will be out on that date. And you can talk about the inclusion of our big name authors and your own involvement in the project.

Perhaps print out a copy of what Jenna has on her site or what Richard has up at stories of strength dot com (basically the same thing) and review how Jenna talks about the anthology and how it came about. We can try to emulate that in our dealings with the press, bookstores and potential buyers.

ChunkyC
10-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I'd also like to take a moment to talk about 'branding' in regards to promoting the anthology. For those of you who've been involved in marketing and/or sales, you'll be familiar with the concept.

The 'logo' is probably the most straightforward form of branding. Everyone recognizes the Nike swoosh, or CNN's double-line logo. Other methods of branding include colour schemes, specific fonts in all documents, letterhead, signage, uniforms and so on.

One of the reasons we are going to provide a poster and flyer in PDF format for folks to download is so that there will be a uniform appearance to these items worldwide. This is also why Dawno's web site buttons and banners should be used, rather than each of us designing something of our own. The more we can do to 'brand' the anthology, the more recognizable it will become.

This brings us to what September asked about business cards. Her question presents an intriguing problem with regards to branding, but also an opportunity. I don't believe there's any point in trying to design a business card specifically for the anthology. A business card is really for you. But I do believe there is a solution.

I think we need a logo.

A logo is something that could be included on a business card, therefore maintaining the 'branding' of the anthology, while allowing each card to still maintain an individual design as a promotional tool for the individual writer.

I have an idea for one. Stay tuned while I work on it and pass it by Jenna.

Moondancer
10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
This brings us to what September asked about business cards. Her question presents an intriguing problem with regards to branding, but also an opportunity. I don't believe there's any point in trying to design a business card specifically for the anthology. A business card is really for you. But I do believe there is a solution.

I tried to shrink the book cover to business card size and it didn't work very well... a logo will be a good thing.. maybe add it to the book cover before it's finalized?

PattiTheWicked
10-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Chunky, can we steal your SOS Contributor tag at the bottom of your sig? Is there someplace we can download that, or just save it as a .jpg?

maestrowork
10-06-2005, 10:04 PM
It's in the "For your signature..." thread. Also, you could just take the URL from our sigs and use it in your sig...

maestrowork
10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
It's in the "For your signature..." thread; you can download and put it on your own server. Also, you could just take the URL from our sigs and use it in your sig...

ChunkyC
10-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I tried to shrink the book cover to business card size and it didn't work very well... a logo will be a good thing.. maybe add it to the book cover before it's finalized?
The cover is finalized. The logo idea I have is going to take cues from the cover, much like what Ray did for the sig graphics.

PattiTheWicked
10-06-2005, 10:35 PM
It's in the "For your signature..." thread. Also, you could just take the URL from our sigs and use it in your sig...

Found it. Looks awesome!!

Moondancer
10-06-2005, 11:07 PM
The cover is finalized. The logo idea I have is going to take cues from the cover, much like what Ray did for the sig graphics.

okie dokie.

littleblackdog
10-07-2005, 12:26 AM

Sending it out now is still premature. All we would be doing is telling them what was done. The purpose is to sell the book.

So, I'd hang on until we can get the rest of the info included.

Ken
I definitely agree. Since 911, charity projects are being scrutinized more closely. Alerting the press before we clear the red tape with the Red Cross could cause questions about where the money is going.

In addition, reporters get annoyed when they can't get details. Better to wait until we have all the facts.